united kingdom uk tech tree heavy tanks TOG TOG-II* TOG branch

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ThatTrafficCone #1 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 18:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43906 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

This is a proposal for a full branch of TOG heavy tanks for the United Kingdom tech tree, beginning at Tier IV. The early vehicles are more conventional than their high-tier counterparts, the qualities and themes of the branch becoming more pronounced with increasing tiers.

In summary, the TOG tanks are slow, large, and poorly armored. To compensate they have extremely high hit-point pools, the most of any tank in their tier. In fact, their hit points should be comparable to tanks of similar size that are one or even two tiers higher. Their guns would also have low damage. To compensate they have high penetration and high DPM. Gun accuracy and aim time should also be expected to be high, although likely not the best.

The TOG tanks should be thought of as being heavy bruisers. Their main playstyle would be to fire two or more shells for every one they recieve, doing more damage than they take in the process. Tall profiles combined with great gun depression (possibly -18 at Tier X) would allow them to shoot down at vulnerable enemy roofs and decks. Their guns would also allow them to be competent snipers, easily punishing anyone who carelessly gets in the open. But poor camo and mobility (and view range?) would make this kind of lone-wolf playstyle very dangerous. They would rely on sticking with their teammates and using their hit points to bait and absorb enemy fire.

The information presented here has been collected from the book The Tanks of TOG, by Andrew Hills. My proposal as written is highly abridged and the information herein should not be considered fully precise. For more detailed information on the presented vehicles, additional content I do not cover here, and a fascinating window into the meandering process of early war tank design, I fully recommend reading Andrew’s book.

Regular tanks, beginning at Tier IV:

• TOG 300G
  • TOG-1
  • TOG-2
  • TOG-2R
  • TOG-3
  • TOG 978G
  • TOG GSLT

Premium tanks, at Tier V & VIII respectively:

• TOG 365G
  • TOG-3 RR

Tier IV: TOG 300G

Spoiler

Tier V: TOG-1

Spoiler

Tier VI: TOG-2

Spoiler

Tier VII: TOG-2R

Spoiler

Tier VIII: TOG-3

Spoiler

Tier IX: TOG 978G

Spoiler

Tier X: TOG GSLT

Spoiler

Tier V Premium: TOG 365G

Spoiler

Tier VIII Premium: TOG-3 RR

Spoiler

What follows is some theorizing on the potential health, damage, and DPM of the vehicles proposed. My general thought process for these numbers is that a given tank should have around 125% the hit-points of the next highest-health tank in the tier.

I will also be using patch 1.9 to get my numbers. These numbers are purely speculative, mind. Parentheticals show what DPM could be brought up to using BIA, Rammer, and Food. I used the top guns for my numbers, although it is possible some of these same-caliber guns would have different damage values given the different weight of their shells (ie: 3.7-Inch guns 28-pdr, 30-pdr, 32-pdr, and 37-pdr.). In such a case the reload speeds can change the match my theorized DPM values. Some lower-caliber guns, such as the squeeze-bores, would likely have even higher DPM than those posted below.

• Tier X: 360 dmg gun, 3600-3800 health, ~6.2 second reload, ~3500 DPM (~4200), equivalent to the Badger
  • Tier IX: 280 dmg gun, 2700-2900 health, ~5.6 second reload, ~3000 DPM (~3600), equivalent to the Tortoise
  • Tier VIII: 280 dmg gun, 2200-2500 health, ~6.2 second reload, ~2700 DPM (~3200), equivalent to the Caernarvon
  • Tier VII: 280 dmg gun, 1800-2200 health, ~7.3 second reload, ~2300 DPM (~2700), equivalent to the AT 7
  • Tier VI: 150 dmg gun, 1600-1900 health, ~4.5 second reload, ~2000 DPM (~2400), equivalent to the Cromwell
  • Tier V: 150 dmg gun, 1200-1400 health, ~5 second reload, ~1800 DPM (~2150), equivalent to the Cavalier
  • Tier IV: 55 dmg gun, 900-1100 health, ~2 second reload, ~1600 DPM (~1900), equivalent to the Matilda II

So anyways, thoughts? Too much of a meme?

ThaneTyrian #2 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 18:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17936 battles

Love the work you put into this proposal, Bro, and EVEN though I love my TOG, I'm not sure how many other people out there love theirs.  But, count me in!  Why can't the Brits have THEIR Maus or Type V?!  Plus, I only have 8 non-arty (and 4 Arty) Branches left to research/obtain, so the more new branches the better, AND as I'm sure there are peeps out there who have even finished researching EVERYTHING, lets add MORE branches!  Especially interesting ones like this one!

Good Job, OP!!

GeorgePreddy #3 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 18:24

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

The tier 6 Tog II* is a sort of cool meme, but that's really all it is... a meme... seven tiers of Togs are just unnecessary.

So... NO.

SKurj #4 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 19:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16852 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ
alot of work coming up with this props to you sir... though you may want to see a dr.  (once this global crisis is over)

Edited by SKurj, Apr 05 2020 - 19:02.

Winterpeger #5 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 19:05

Major

• Players
  • 54513 battles
  • [DD-S] DD-S
OP .. so why did you remove the poll?  

ThatTrafficCone #6 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 19:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43906 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

View PostWinterpeger, on Apr 05 2020 - 11:05, said:

OP .. so why did you remove the poll?  

I wanted to see if it was possible to make it so you can change your answer. Accidentally removed the poll in finding out that I couldn't. Now I'm not sure if I should add it back because votes would be wonky. Then again they were dead even so it may not even matter.

Also I'm a little peeved I had the ability to edit a poll to begin with.

Cowcat137 #7 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 19:55

Major

• -Players-
  • 16716 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

Sturm_Schnitzel #8 Posted Apr 05 2020 - 19:57

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 32 battles
Nice work OP. That looks like a whole line of xp pinatas though. Arty would victimize those thing like no tomorrow. If WG were to implement these kind of vehicles, they should just automatically have a spall liner included in their contruction while still having 3 equipment slots. Just a thought.

ThatTrafficCone #9 Posted Apr 06 2020 - 02:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43906 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

So I did a little theorycrafting using the numbers at the end of my post.

Combining their high DPM and unmatched health, the ideal engagement for a TOG is a 1-on-1 where they can utilize that DPM to its fullest. They will simply outlive anything in a brawl. They also have great gun depression, sometimes even absurd like the possibilities the Tier X provides. So small tanks will probably have a tough time hugging them, too. Although this will be easier in the lower tiers because the tanks are so long. The Tier IX, for instance, will probably be impossible for most tanks to hug because it's so short.

So the best way to kill a TOG then would be to deny it use of its DPM. In a 1-for-1 trade or a sniping engagement, the TOG simply can't keep up because of its low alpha. It could certainly absorb a lot of hits, so it'll still take longer to kill, but the enemy tank would survive longer than if they were trading with something like a Maus or IS-7. Maybe the high health and low damage cancel each other out in trading like this?

Taking unnecessary damage is a death sentence for a TOG. As these things have practically no armor, every hit point counts. No stupid pokes without commitment, no getting stranded in the open, no straying too far from something to hide behind. The pronounced tracks would also make them prone to getting tracked, although they would probably be unlikely to take damage from the hits.

Needless to say, they will be particularly vulnerable to arty. 

GundamEz8 #10 Posted Apr 06 2020 - 19:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29145 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
i fully support that we keep making the entire british tech tree catering the masochist playerbase of world of tanks. The LT line, the td line and now the tog line. :)

ThatTrafficCone #11 Posted Apr 17 2020 - 00:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 43906 battles
  • [Y0L0] Y0L0

View PostGundamEz8, on Apr 06 2020 - 11:04, said:

i fully support that we keep making the entire british tech tree catering the masochist playerbase of world of tanks. The LT line, the td line and now the tog line. :)

Honestly, it's better than getting more overpowered or broken tanks, assuming the TOGs themselves can be balanced so they're neither.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users