T-32

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

doom44 #1 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 16:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2660 battles
I've heard mixed opinions about this tank. To me, it looked like a bigger Pershing.
What are the pros and cons of this tank?

alexsyl007 #2 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 17:06

Major

• Players
  • 17724 battles
Ok, I assume you are asking how this performs in WoT.

1. It is nothing like a Pershing. It is a heavy tank and handles like one.
2. If you check the Tech tree you will see that the T29 gets the 105mm gun at tier7. Now this gun rules Tier7 on the T29. Problem is you will be stuck with this gun till you get the T34 120mm. So essentially you are stuck with one gun for 2.5 tiers. Don't even get me started on how bad the 105 is on the T34 at tier9 but assuming you use some free xp to rapidly progress here lets talk about the 105 on the T32. The T32 with the 105 is a great gun unless you are the top matched tank in the game. Any less and you will have problems so much in fact that I replaced my mouse once when playing this tank because I threw it against the wall in frustration. The T32 is a great tank no doubt, the upgraded turrent can deflect any shell fired at you, you can face hug any tank and you can use the 'hull-down' to the best of your advantage but remember you have a weak hull and a gun with pathetic pen for a Tier8. You will have problems facing IS3's and KT's let alone anything above that.
3. This tank is best played with support. If you can pair up with a IS3 or a KT or a Lowe then you will have a fruitful experience. If you go it alone you will get eaten alive.
4. I am 40k xp into this tank on my way to the T34 and I am finding it difficult to play with but I DO NOT regret buying it. So if your final aim is the T34 I'd say get the T32 and play through it.
Hope you have some answers here,

7mm08 #3 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 17:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15844 battles
  • [-CB-] -CB-
The T32 was known as the Jumbo Pershing so you are correct on its looks.  It also happens to be my favorite tank. Before getting the T32, I thought it would just be a T29 stuck in higher tier battles but I've enjoyed it more than I ever did the T29.

PROS:
Nearly impregnable turret without the "ears" weakness of the T29
Hull armor is slightly better than the other American heavies
Excellent gun depression
Decent maneuverability
Make mincemeat out of other Tier 8 heavies.  

CONS:
Same 105mm gun as the T29 which can have penetration issues against higher tanks
Hull armor still isn't great and can be penned pretty easily

Gryphius #4 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 17:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6138 battles
In my mind, the T32 is the best T8 heavy in the game. It has the best armor in the tier. It's better than the KT, the hull is about the same while having a turret that is indestructible to everything except T8 artillery AP rounds- I tested it. The gun is the worst of the T8s, but it isn't by any means unusable. I'll never recommend sniping with the thing, but if you can get in close you can overcome the gun's somewhat low penetration value by hitting weakpoints.

Jeeps_Guns_Tanks #5 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 17:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14001 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
There is a lot of debate about the best T8 Heavy, most say it's the Tiger II, I think it's the T32, I have an IS3, all upgraded but the IS4 and I think the T32 has better armor over all including hull.

I'd take the T32 any day of the week over the IS3, I havn't run the King, but Face hugging them in the T32 works just fine.

The 105 on the T32 is fine, if it had an even marginally better gun it would OP in it's tier.

DrBlue62 #6 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 17:53

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 6280 battles
T32 is is a great tank if you're not stupid.   The only area it lacks in IMO is the gun.

hardicon #7 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 18:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30862 battles
  • [FEL0N] FEL0N
I got a lot of games in this tank and with a 59 percent win percentage and average exp of 993 a game, I can say its a great tank.  Im not throwing out my stats on it to say how awesome I am because as you can see with most of my other tanks im just average.  I was awesome in this tank for two reasons, one I know how to play the american heavies and 2.  this tanks is awesome.  It looks like a pershing because it was built on the pershing hull.  

Pros-- Upgraded turret is pretty much impenetrable to everything in the game.  On occasion you will get the t30 or object or isu round penetrate that turret.  the stock turret well just get the upgraded one as soon as you can, the tank is pretty bad with the stock turret.

Hull armor--- 132 hull armor (I think, that is close I know)  that is sloped makes this a very durable tank and able to lead an assault somewhat if you are careful with it.  The hull can bounce shots if you angle it right.

gun depression--- not what it used to be, but the gun depression make it so you can fight over a hill without showing your vulnerable belly and hull armor.  Huge advantage if used correctly vs russian and german tanks that simply cant do this.

Low profile--- The low profile on the tank can help you hide behind rocks better making it harder for arty to hit you.  It also makes you a harder target for the enemy to hit your weakspots and alot of the time even though they aim for your hull the natural dispersion will make the round go up and hit your turret making that round bounce off your turret instead of doing damage to you.  The low profile also allows you to facehug other tanks making it impossible for them to hit anything but your turret.  Load up HE rounds and go to town while they bounce on your turret or aim for their weakspots as you facehug them.  Ive killed is4, maus, and is3 without hardly even taking a scratch with this tactic, it works very well.

Cons--- the 198 pen gun is a bit rough at tier 8.  You have to learn where to shoot other tanks, its not just a point at the enemy and shoot.  The damage is good but wont make anyone go oh crap I cant get hit again.  With the 6.4 nerf to damage and rof on the gun, that hasnt been made any better.  Still though you are not useless, the gun does the job well enough combined with your strengths if you play to them should be enough to carry the day against any tank in the game.

stock turret--- The stock turret is so bad you will get frustrated with this tank in the early going.  It is only 114 armor and combined with a hull armor that isnt super great, you just feel like a squishy.  work through it the best you can, I played like a sniper until I got the upgraded turret.  Never go hull down with the stock turret, your hull armor is better.

Not really any more cons, this is probably the best tank they have made overall in the game.  Decent gun but nothing to write home to mom about, decent armor but not impenetrable, good speed, overall it has alot of strengths and very few real weaknesses that can be take advantage of.  Its a good tank and I personally thing the best tank in the game, id take this tank against any tank in the game.  

My advice if you get it is install a vent module, rammer and vertical stabilizer, being able to shoot on the run makes it harder for the enemy to find your very few weak points.

Kalis #8 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 19:55

First lieutenant

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 26097 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
It's my favourite tier 8 heavy.

1.  It's the fastest of the tier 8 heavies
2.  The armor on the tank is surprising, even on the hull, which bounces more shots than you would expect.
3.  The gun zooms in quite fast.  It's reload is also quite good.  The biggest weakest is the 198 penetration (as opposed to 225-ish for the KT and IS-3).  But it's definitely in the same league as the other tanks with its quicker reload.

nublex #9 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 22:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13064 battles

View PostKalis, on Sep 29 2011 - 19:55, said:

1.  It's the fastest of the tier 8 heavies
IS-3 is tier 7 I guess.

Here is my own list:

Pro:
1. All unspecific modules can be research earlier
2. Only need suspension to mount a proper gun (105mm)
3. Decent armour on something that move over 30kph in US tree
4. Decent stock turret
5. Epic upgrade turret
6. Good aim time and reasonable RoF
7. Double Loader
8. Decent cross country ability

Con:
1. Gigantic footprint, hurts handling and very easy target for arty
2. Very vulnerable fuel tanks
3. Large ammo rack hit box for rather low ammo count
4. Gun prone to be knock out if not damaged
5. 105's second if not third rate performance
6. Glasic allow ricochets bounce into belly of the turret

While it seems there is more Pro then Con, giant foot print and 105's low preformance hurts a lot. 35kph is also odd for tank of its size and tier, you can't catch up with mediums but you ain't good for staying behind either.

mechsftw #10 Posted Sep 29 2011 - 23:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9697 battles
I don't claim to be a good player in any way, but i do love this tank. I have bounced a ferdi 128 shot that bounced off my hull onto the side of my turret, then bouncing off that shooting off into empty space!  :lol:  Numerous Maus shots have been bounced off my turret, and you can flank KT's in it with its good accelleration and decent mobility. IS-3 hull armor is easily penned at close range, at longer ranges you can hit its pike nose. Facehugging works on almost any tank except maybe the is-4, can't find a way to deal with it... :(

Overall, this is a good tank, worth keeping long after you are done with its exp grind. Easily the most useful T8 heavy.

Reklaw #11 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 00:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10874 battles
The T32 is the worst tank in the game it feels like, when you have the stock turret. It's a nightmare having to use it, because it has no armor and can't really deal any damage to anything around it.

Then you get the turret, and you basically have an entirely different tank. You can now actually go hull down and facehug people. It teaches you to be a better player.

The problem with it is that you have to grind to the turret, which means a lot of suffering. In this process the game isn't training you to use the T32 at all. The T32's redeeming quality is its turret armor. Since at that point you don't have any, you aren't getting any practice playing it the way you will once you DO have it.

So expect to suffer horribly up until you get the turret, and then suffer a little more as you learn places you can actually use it, and how to use it. I started out losing 80% of my games in the tank, just because it was so horrible. I got the turret then crawled my way back up until I was actually surprised when I lost a rare match. I finished with a 57% win rate and a 44% survival rate. That's more impressive when you consider I did not have premium and had to grind every module on that tank without gold or free xp.

If the gun on the T32 did 750 damage, it would be far more deserving of the tier 10 tank position than the T30, by a long shot.

nublex #12 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 01:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13064 battles
The stock turret is actually quite tough, especially combine with the gun mantle *is still some 300mm thick* and circular. While you still need to protect your commander's copula *it isn't different from most tank*, side is vulnerable to lower caliber *but so is the big pistol port on ungraded turret*. If anything, the stock turret remained you that your turret isn't *completely invincible*, thanks to HE and arty shells.

You can still facehug most tanks with it, you just need to *protect your turret like you did with T29*.

Duty_Remains #13 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 07:51

Captain

• Players
  • 16088 battles
From what I've seen and played the T32 is the best all around tier VIII tank but I haven't played the IS-3 (next purchase) or KV-5...  I do however own both a Lowe and Tiger II, in addition to my T-32 of course.  The T32's only real downside is its gun and I have relatively little trouble penning IS-4s with the standard AP rounds (flank them, works wonders).  Rarely have to go HE against anything less than an E-100 or Maus, even then I can still contribute.

As far as the "huge footprint" goes its a heavy but its only slightly (~1 ft.) longer than the Tiger II, but the same width and slightly (inches) shorter in height.  It's the smallest of American heavy in terms of volume.

People like to say how bad the 105mm is comparatively but by the time you get the T32; you should be confident using it to engage ANY tier tank.  Hell, one game on Komarin, I used the 105mm (on my T29) to take 40% off a Maus.

If you enjoy and do well in the T29, get the T32 and you won't regret it.

mmike87 #14 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 11:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10462 battles

View PostDrBlue62, on Sep 29 2011 - 17:53, said:

T32 is is a great tank if you're not stupid.   The only area it lacks in IMO is the gun.

^^^ What he said. Unfortunately, sometimes I am still stupid, but I am learning!

Malexa #15 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 11:37

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
If it only had better accuracy at the very least. I don't like how slow it is at turning either. A gun with poor penetration and bad accuracy makes your shots just luck. Can't hit any weak spots unless you are within like 100m of your target. Should have like 0.32 or 0.33 accuracy.

It's easier to kill Ferdis with the Pershing than with the T32 cause you can actually hit the lowest part of their hull while the T32 shells will land anywhere.

doom44 #16 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 16:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2660 battles
So is it a good brawler?

Tacticalspoon #17 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 18:04

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12135 battles
  • [WIN] WIN

View Postdoom44, on Sep 30 2011 - 16:59, said:

So is it a good brawler?

Definitely. Brawling a T32 is to tempt getting facehugged, which always turns out badly for the other tank. The practice of facehugging, if you are unfamiliar with the term, is when the tank uses its low profile + thick turret + gun depression to maintain hull to hull contact with an enemy heavy tank and shoot them in weakpoints while they can target nothing but your immense turret armor.

doom44 #18 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 20:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2660 battles
Finally, a tank that ISN'T a sniper for once!
Unfortunately, I am stuck with a T1 heavy.

Gyarados #19 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 21:33

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 12385 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
The T32 is a damn fine tank, definitely my favorite Tier VIII to play. Occasionally I'll load APCR just to lulz around. Everyone has given great advice in this thread as well and honestly, it's one of the best brawling tanks I've used.

hiroshi_tea #20 Posted Sep 30 2011 - 21:34

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 14284 battles
  • [SPIDY] SPIDY
I had a battle recently where I was able to face hug a Jtiger and a Ferdi to death, one right after the other.

It was a glorious battle worthy of the steel wall award I recieved