KV 220-2 Great Newbie/Learner Tank

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Halsey_IX #1 Posted May 03 2020 - 18:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 5280 battles

WG has been hyping the KV 220-2 in one of its collector packages lately. For anybody looking for a first really heavy tank (62 tons of fun) this might not be a bad choice. I've had one since January. It is a mixed bag of a tank. It has a pretty lousy 76mm gun that you are stuck with because it's one of those packages. (My overall impression is that the gun is roughly comparable to the short 75 on the early M4s -- maybe  bit more pen, but lousy dispersion.) It is also slow. How slow? If you are going down a steep slope and let up on the gas the thing will actually slow down

But there is a big BUT here... 

The thing has great armor for a 5th tier tanks. How good is that?  

Well, I was just on the Ghost Town map. We had just about cleared the town when I started getting bombarded -- from where I could not tell. I took a total of 25 hits, of which only three penetrated for negligible damage. I took TWENTY hits that were blocked by my armor for a total of 1,860 hit points avoided. I cannot say for certain, but I'm pretty sure the opposition was all same tier or lower, but still, 1860 points blocked is a good day's work. 

So if you're looking for a first heavy and don't want mind cruising up hills a bit slowly, you might consider this one. 

Saydzhi #2 Posted May 03 2020 - 19:53

Captain

• Players
  • 1951 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE
It's best feature is the PMM, never seeing T7 hence the gun, but it is disposed of fast if you get a player that knows to aim for the turret. 

Kramah313 #3 Posted May 03 2020 - 20:04

Captain

• Players
  • 11483 battles
Also, you can turn on in settings (I think it’s the last tab of notifications) where on the indicator of where the hit came from it will show the damage number and tank responsible for it. 

Edited by Kramah313, May 03 2020 - 20:04.

anaamonous #4 Posted May 03 2020 - 20:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18048 battles
  • [ORDER] ORDER
The turret is butter against anything with 115mm+ of pen if they aim right, good seal clubber but that's it.

StoveBolt54 #5 Posted May 04 2020 - 02:01

Captain

• Players
  • 32258 battles
Just never go hull down with that tank.

Trakks #6 Posted May 05 2020 - 11:36

Major

• Players
  • 6037 battles
Not a good tank for newbies if you get anyone with any knowledge of the tank on the other team. It uses the stock turret from the KV-1, which is weak and easily penable. Most players learn pretty quickly not to shoot at the hull. Anyone who keeps shooting at it after bouncing more than 2-3 times is an idiot. The easier availability of gold ammo has also rendered the armor easier to pen than it used to be. A T1 Heavy, for example, has 128/177 on the 76mm. That's enough to pen the turret using standard ammo, and many places on the hull using gold. A Churchill gets 145/202 pen on it's top gun, which is also enough to hurt a KV-220. Gold spam has rendered many, formerly fearsome tanks irrelevant. This is why you don't see these tanks being played much anymore. 

Edited by Trakks, May 05 2020 - 11:53.

dunniteowl #7 Posted May 06 2020 - 00:33

Major

• Players
  • 39065 battles

View PostHalsey_IX, on May 03 2020 - 11:44, said:

WG has been hyping the KV 220-2 in one of its collector packages lately. For anybody looking for a first really heavy tank (62 tons of fun) this might not be a bad choice. I've had one since January. It is a mixed bag of a tank. It has a pretty lousy 76mm gun that you are stuck with because it's one of those packages. (My overall impression is that the gun is roughly comparable to the short 75 on the early M4s -- maybe  bit more pen, but lousy dispersion.) It is also slow. How slow? If you are going down a steep slope and let up on the gas the thing will actually slow down

But there is a big BUT here... 

The thing has great armor for a 5th tier tanks. How good is that?  

Well, I was just on the Ghost Town map. We had just about cleared the town when I started getting bombarded -- from where I could not tell. I took a total of 25 hits, of which only three penetrated for negligible damage. I took TWENTY hits that were blocked by my armor for a total of 1,860 hit points avoided. I cannot say for certain, but I'm pretty sure the opposition was all same tier or lower, but still, 1860 points blocked is a good day's work. 

So if you're looking for a first heavy and don't want mind cruising up hills a bit slowly, you might consider this one. 

View PostTrakks, on May 05 2020 - 04:36, said:

Not a good tank for newbies if you get anyone with any knowledge of the tank on the other team. It uses the stock turret from the KV-1, which is weak and easily penable. Most players learn pretty quickly not to shoot at the hull. Anyone who keeps shooting at it after bouncing more than 2-3 times is an idiot. The easier availability of gold ammo has also rendered the armor easier to pen than it used to be. A T1 Heavy, for example, has 128/177 on the 76mm. That's enough to pen the turret using standard ammo, and many places on the hull using gold. A Churchill gets 145/202 pen on it's top gun, which is also enough to hurt a KV-220. Gold spam has rendered many, formerly fearsome tanks irrelevant. This is why you don't see these tanks being played much anymore. 

I tend to like all these tanks mentioned.  If you are paying attention to what you are doing, who is against you and what your angles can be, you can bounce quite a bit on tier V HVY tanks.

Here's a Churchill Moment wherein I blocked more damage than I gave out and I gave out just over 1K of damage.

Posted Image

I haven't played many games in it, however, the KV-220-2 (see below) is not a bad Tier V Credit maker if you can keep your gun going and maintain an awareness of where shots are coming from.  I do my best to find places where I can peek and poke, due to that poor turret armor.  The gun fires fast and when you're in Close Quarters, dispersion means very little to begin with, so wail away as much as you can, stay angled and don't expose that turret more than you have to -- and you do know you can angle that as well as wiggle it a bit during reloads to help avoid well aimed weak point shots at you.

Again, dispersion may be poor, but aiming in fully and hitting big things can still give you some cool awards, like a Sharp Shooter for 5+ penetrating shots in a row.  You can maintain your angling and bounce some decent damage.  Bear in mind, if you are bouncing all that damage, two things are happening -- more units are shooting at YOU (and thus, not your team mates, giving them time to do stuff) and Red Team Attention is also on you, meaning less attention is being paid to the others on your team.

Posted Image

The T1 Heavy is a great tank at tier V, from my perspective.  I like it even more than the KV-220-2, the Churchill or the VK 30.01(h) German Tier V.  I think the T1 is probably the single best overall HVY tank at tier V, possibly excepting the RU KV-1 and I was GOING to say more, however, I have to note  that the VK 30.01(h) has been reclassed as a Medium tank.

Still, there are a few more HVY tanks at tier V, though I really feel that, on the whole, the T1 Heavy is probably the best at tier V.  It's got good speed, decent torque for climbing, traverses better than most and it's turret traverse is really good.  Those factors, combined with a very good gun at tier in terms of penetration ability, good dispersion (accuracy) and a sprightly reload time.  All that makes it a good damage dealer and flexer for a HVY tank.  Additionally, while it is not super heavily armored, it has a great chassis design for the most part and bounces shots when properly angled like nobody's business.

Posted Image

All these tanks, IMO are 'great' learning tanks, especially the Churchill (as well as the former VK 30.01(h)) as nothing teaches like getting your backside handed you repeatedly while you figure out how to prevent that.  Churchill is best for this.  It is a giant target, basically, with a decent gun and some armor when properly angled.  If you can make the Churchill work for you at tier V, then you have learned some useful stuff.  It is one of the harder HVY tanks to do well with, because it's about half a TOG in size.

What makes the KV-220-2 such a great learning tank is its Preferential Match Making of -1/+1, so it never sees a tier VII tank.  As it's also a Premium, you get the credit making and crew training ability of it as well.  Granted there's not a lot of Tank Hopping that can be done with a crew into the KV-220-2, but you can manage it alongside the many other RU tanks that have crews in similar makeups.

Nice to see a positive post as a start off to my reading.  +1 OP!

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users