payments cyprus tax evasion money in game goods Premium Shop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Chris_Hisss #1 Posted May 23 2020 - 13:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44127 battles
  • [INDIG] INDIG
So, it has been a while now that I, as well as many others, can't give World of Tanks our money. Because simply, they are an overseas merchant, and many of our United States of America's merchants refuse to budge on allowing overseas payments.

From what I understand, being based in Cyprus is a way to avoid taxes, is that correct? It is super shady as well. I am surprised that Belarus is allowing a million dollar company to operate out of minsk and not pay taxes.

That is neither here nor there, however, I wouldn't mind paying taxes here, as it goes back to the community. I also want wargaming's goods. So, is it possible that they could open up a payment center here in the US and take our money?

The only work around is that I get a Wal mart WOT gift card online and I can use that to get gold, if that is what I want.

But for tanks, or packages, I need to go to a local CVS and buy a card and use open bucks. The problem being is that they too have fraud protection and make sure you present ID when you load the card, so it is a walk in thing.

What they are missing for me and I am sure many other customers, is that impulse buy mechanic, in which I need something right now.

For a company that values our money, as we tend to spend more than any other area per player, you think that they would do everything they could to assure they get as much of that as possible. Right?

Heck make a secretary take payments there in Austin at the HQ or something at least.

Just wanted to express my thoughts on this, as even Amazon Payments don't work with it, if the source card doesn't allow it. Which it used to, but then they must have updated the policy.

Maybe I am missing options? Or maybe missing the point?

Thanks for your discussion and input.

Festung #2 Posted May 23 2020 - 13:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39125 battles
I have an Amazon.com account by which I pay for WG stuff; of course there is an international fee per transaction. To avoid this fee, WG would have to establish a subsidiary in the US but then WG would have to pay if and when they moved the money to Cyprus. Naw, rather we pay. :coin:

AndrewSledge #3 Posted May 23 2020 - 14:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 39544 battles
  • [1_FFD] 1_FFD
I use PayPal...it works pretty well.

Projectile_Misfired #4 Posted May 23 2020 - 14:35

Major

• Players
  • 38885 battles

I have a VISA card from my bank and have absolutely no problems buying WG goods. 

My suggestion is to get a 'no annual fee' CC that also allows for 'free international' transactions that has a low credit limit (maybe up to $1000). Furthermore, as long as you only use it for a purchase that you're immediately going to pay off, you don't need to worry about whatever outrageous interest rate they may charge. Just pay it off within the grace period. 

RHeadshot #5 Posted May 23 2020 - 14:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 10271 battles
You guys are part of the problem

_Kradok_ #6 Posted May 23 2020 - 14:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 36567 battles

View PostRHeadshot, on May 23 2020 - 08:38, said:

Which problem, hero?

Educate us.....

heavymetal1967 #7 Posted May 23 2020 - 14:57

Major

• Players
  • 78409 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostRHeadshot, on May 23 2020 - 08:38, said:

Seems to me they don't share your problem.

Or it's a case of mind over matter.  They don't mind cause it don't matter (to them).

And filling queues helps them as well.  So touche.

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted May 23 2020 - 15:16

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

OP... you should get a credit card from a bank that allows foreign purchases.

There are many that do.

I have 2 different ones that work everywhere.

Insanefriend #9 Posted May 23 2020 - 15:27

Major

• Players
  • 52777 battles

View PostChris_Hisss, on May 23 2020 - 06:47, said:

From what I understand, being based in Cyprus is a way to avoid taxes, is that correct? It is super shady as well. I am surprised that Belarus is allowing a million dollar company to operate out of minsk and not pay taxes.

This is a pretty standard large multinational business practice.  There is a reason that companies tend to be head quartered in the most favorable tax havens even though most of their workforce is else where.

Edited by Insanefriend, May 23 2020 - 15:27.

_Kradok_ #10 Posted May 23 2020 - 15:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 36567 battles

View PostInsanefriend, on May 23 2020 - 09:27, said:

This is a pretty standard large multinational business practice.  There is a reason that companies tend to be head quartered in the most favorable tax havens even though most of their workforce is else where.

Easy example - the Cruise industry.

nekojima #11 Posted May 23 2020 - 15:54

Captain

• Players
  • 43104 battles
  • [PHASD] PHASD

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 23 2020 - 09:16, said:

OP... you should get a credit card from a bank that allows foreign purchases.

I haven't had a credit card (in over 30 years of having a cc, in several varied countries) that didn't allow foreign purchases. Only developing countries with a balance of payments issue or currency controls would normally have a similar restriction. Perhaps potential fraud is a problem, but there are ways for card issuers to counter this too.

Chris_Hisss #12 Posted Jun 09 2020 - 12:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44127 battles
  • [INDIG] INDIG
Yeah, I guess it all depends on where you are and what you have, I have a credit union, and well I guess they aren't budging on that policy. I also have another source card, and that was fine while it was new, but eventually changed for some reason. Likewise, Paypal worked for a while, but then they too changed, I guess because my sources enforced the policy through them. Then Amazon Pay worked for a while, but now it doesn't either. So now I use open bucks, if that. Or I can buy gold cards at wal mart, if that is a urgent need. But customer service only transferred that gift card gold to buy a premium tank one time, as a one time courtesy.

So yeah there are ways around it I guess. It just feels morally wrong. As if spending money on a online game wasn't bad enough. Knowing there is tax evasion, well...

MGFranks #13 Posted Jun 09 2020 - 15:21

Major

• Players
  • 31151 battles

You need a better bank. This is on you.

I'm a whale, and I have used a number of different credit cards, from different banks and credit unions, over the years. All have worked.

Now there IS an issue where many credit card processors will "flag" transactions with gaming companies and/or certain foreign countries, due to the fact that a lot of stolen credit cards are used for payments in these places. But in all cases, you should get a call from your credit card company asking you to verify the transaction. Once you do, it goes through. Now, if for some reason you can't or won't do THAT, then yes, many credit card companies will shutdown the payment. But that has nothing to do with Wargaming, per se, nor Cyprus, nor tax evasion or any of this other fevered fantasy stuff.

Millions and millions of people around the world, yes, even right here in the United States, send Wargaming money on a regular basis. They all manage to get it done. If you don't, clearly, it's you.

GLHF

_Kradok_ #14 Posted Jun 09 2020 - 16:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 36567 battles

View PostChris_Hisss, on Jun 09 2020 - 06:09, said:

Likewise, Paypal worked for a while, but then they too changed

:facepalm:

I've used Paypal since day-1 playing this game...the ONLY thing that's changed....is you. 

Believe it or not, these companies WANT your money...and the vast majority of us have NO problem ensuring they get it.

1ST_AD_Abrams #15 Posted Jun 10 2020 - 09:47

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10274 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

It all comes down to the legalities of where you say your HQ is.  Banks want to avoid being involved in possible illegal money transfers to countries that have a legacy of being a front for certain activities.  As one mentioned preferential tax law.  I can only speak from the American side, that companies do use foreign/overseas locations as their HQ to help avoid taxes or shelter what money they get by having it go through another country.  Another example would be where a ship is flagged.  You rarely see a oil tanker flagged with the US flag (one because that paints a big target on them but would be much more expensive in terms of meeting the requirements under the law for a US flagged ship).  Now I thought or was lead to believe that Amazon and paypal help to rectify this problem.  Also even if they don't tell you (i.e. the company you are using to purchase from WG, they don't always tell you they are going to charge a fee until you get your bill and simply changing to a different third payee source then leads to no fee).  Amazon and Paypal have to be ever watchful about where the money is going. 

For example torrent sites (yes I know bad word), even legit ones that have the okay of the IP holder, usually have trouble with Amazon and Paypal because they will close all accounts of sites that are torrent sites or other taboo or possible illegal site/business.  They also want to keep government regulation out of their way so they try to not give any reason that they need to be watched.  Don't do anything wrong, then the government will leave you alone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users