• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Nukes4You #1 Posted May 24 2020 - 02:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9461 battles
  • [-ATL-] -ATL-

Hey folks,

I've got a quick question with regard to my player stats (whether that be Wargaming's Personal Rating for vehicle or Player Rating or WN8 / EFF).

Are my overall stats calculated as an amalgamation of my individual tank stats or is it based on my overall averages?

For example, let's say my WN8 was 1600. Theoretically if I could achieve a WN8 of 2000 in my Tier V Covenanter on every game, and I played a bunch of games in that tank, would my 1600 WN8 slowly rise to 2000 and then cap out? Obviously this would take many battles as I'm at 9k battles total, but this is theoretical so it doesn't matter for this discussion. 

My thought is that even if my WN8 for the Covenanter was 2000, the average damage done per game might only be like 400 or something, which is drastically lower than my overall average damage, let's just say that might be 1200. So wouldn't a great game in this tank actually lower my overall WN8 because it's making my overall average damage go down? That would be the case if overall stats are based on overall averages. I know that WN8 and EFF and WGR all calculate more than just average damage, but I hope you understand my question. 

I feel like it must be some combo of all of the individual tank averages, as otherwise people wouldn't be able to stat pad I suppose. Anyway, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around this simple yet seemingly complex topic.

TLDR: Are my stats based all on overall player numbers or is it some combination of all of the averages for all of my individual tanks?

Thanks ahead of time,

Nukes4You

Buttknuckle #2 Posted May 24 2020 - 03:06

Major

• Players
  • 55578 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

Overall WN8 is an average of all your individual tank WN8s. It is not weighted by tier. So your Covenanter example is correct and if you only played that your overall WN8 would go up.

On the other hand, your PR might go down since that takes into account average damage per game.

uberdice #3 Posted May 24 2020 - 03:12

Major

• Players
  • 28234 battles

WN8 doesn't look at your account stats, it amalgamates all your per-tank stats. This is because it has expected values for each tank, but does not have expected values for the player.

Your overall stats must be based on your individual tank stats. Mathematically, it can't be otherwise.

Let's say you have five boxes, each with n tomatoes inside, up to a maximum of 10.

Box 1: 4 (40%)

Box 2: 7 (70%)

Box 3: 3 (30%)

Box 4: 6 (60%)

Box 5: 9 (90%)

If you put all five boxes into one larger box, the large box will contain 58% tomatoes, or in other words, a whole WoT team. However, if you look at this larger box of 58% tomatoes, you have no way of actually knowing how much is in each smaller box.

This means that to know the contents of the large box, you must know, either:

1. The contents of all smaller boxes; or

2. Just the contents of the large box.

But to know the contents of the smaller boxes, you must know the contents of, well, the smaller boxes.

Since both values must be known, we then have to understand that the content of the larger box is only known because the contents of the smaller boxes are known.

Nukes4You #4 Posted May 24 2020 - 03:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9461 battles
  • [-ATL-] -ATL-

Yes this makes sense. Thanks to both of you for the swift and understandable answers!

I greatly appreciate the explanations. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users