Love the game - HATE THE MISSED TARGETS & RNG

World of Tanks WOT Cheats Targets Missing Missed Targets Hate the game Programming loss of revenue RNG

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Harlott1 #1 Posted May 27 2020 - 17:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

Been here since almost the beginning of World of tanks. I think my opinion would matter... Pay no attention to my stats, etc. I have probably played 100,000 games. People who think stats' have major bearing on how a person performs is sadly mistaken. Please don't troll or be an a-hole, you will be ignored.

My comment is simply this... I HATE missing targets due to War Gaming programming. It's not fair. It sucks. I'm tired of it. I don't accept it.

What's worse, is having this mentality but I still put some money in this game. I must be insane (look up the definition). I would probably spend at least $500-$1000 more each year if WG would fix some issues. And even though there are so many problems with this game, especially RNG allowing for missed targets or whatever the reason, I love it still. Why? It's an addiction. It's like having to smoke a cigarette or having to have that one last drink... It also occupies much of my extra time, especially at night when there is nothing else to do but watch TV or play video games. It reminds me of back when I was an actual  M1A1 tanker from 1991-96. I'm retired now at 48 since 2012. Why retire so young? Caught a bug in military and it manifested FYI. So playing this game has been a hobby for quite some time.

Now many of you realize, like "wth"? Some may not. However,  you're  behind a rock/bush, stationary/ not moving, and aiming directly at that hot spot. You wait for a moment so the reticle decreases to a complete stop, you wait for the enemy vehicle to come to a complete stop. He's less than 300 meters from you. You then decide to take your shot. As "BOOM" you shoot, you watch your shot wonder off in some other unGodly direction where the crosshairs are not... You sit there for a second stunned... You say to yourself, "wth"???? I can remember in the past when you shot, the round would ALWAYS hit the target. Now-a-days, WG programs so that when you shoot, you may hit the target within the reticle 60-70% of the time and still miss the vehicle? This is BULL****! Especially when you put money in the game. Now some might say stop putting money in the game then. Yea, that's a troll for ya. But how about ALL the money spent on the game before they made all these changes? It seems unfair. It sucks. I'm tired of it. I don't accept it. I say WG, FIX that problem! Their attitude is... "We can only promise that your round will hit somewhere within the reticle". It's a simple thing to fix. Don't you guys feel like I do? Or am I just being a wack-a-do? All this, and I still play. However, I'm getting to the point of being uninterested in playing and seeking other games to play that don't involve putting my well earned money in to WOT pockets. My attitude is the fault of War Gaming. Anyway... done ranting. Have a great day! Still, I love this game... But my love is FADinggggggggggg........

GeorgePreddy #2 Posted May 27 2020 - 17:31

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

Activate the SERVER reticle... and learn to always USE it.

Harlott1 #3 Posted May 27 2020 - 17:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 27 2020 - 16:31, said:

Activate the SERVER reticle... and learn to always USE it.

Are you talking about locking on the target (Right clicking)? I do that already as well, but that does not mean you will penetrate.  

TheJeep1 #4 Posted May 27 2020 - 17:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 50691 battles

Sorry but I dont agree with this at all.  Games like Call of Duty or Battlefield, lining up a aim dot onto a target doesn't take some unknown great skill.  If that were the case in this game the game would be made super easy and quick.  The deviation a shell makes on its way to a target is not only semi-realistic but allows there to be a variance between tanks.  Saying a Pz4H should have the same accuracy as a Panther2 is ridiculous.   Lets also take into account that in this game, targets are easier to target then in CoD or BF.

Edited by TheJeep1, May 27 2020 - 17:47.

Harlott1 #5 Posted May 27 2020 - 17:55

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostTheJeep1, on May 27 2020 - 16:44, said:

Sorry but I dont agree with this at all.  Games like Call of Duty or Battlefield, lining up a aim dot onto a target doesn't take some unknown great skill.  If that were the case in this game the game would be made super easy and quick.  The deviation a shell makes on its way to a target is not only semi-realistic but allows there to be a variance between tanks.  Saying a Pz4H should have the same accuracy as a Panther2 is ridiculous.   Lets also take into account that in this game, targets are easier to target then in CoD or BF.

I respect your opinion. Of course it doesn't take great skill to place the aim dot on target to hit your target. My point exactly. If you do, it should hit the dang target, especially in a game! The deviation the shell makes is nothing like a real tank shell... Maybe it is for an artillery shell, but not a tank shell. I get that different tanks/shells do different things. But tank shells in real life, as we are relating bc of you response, are in reality pinpointed, adjusted, and made to hit with accuracy... This game used to do that... I dont think its ridiculous to assume that if you place your crosshairs on a target, then it should hit it.

GeorgePreddy #6 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:00

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostHarlott1, on May 27 2020 - 13:39, said:

Are you talking about locking on the target (Right clicking)? I do that already as well, but that does not mean you will penetrate.  

The fact that you don't know what the server reticle is, and how differently it operates compared to the client reticle tells me a lot...

Also, penetration is a very complex subject, saying that fewer of your shots pen now than before indicates to me that you haven't kept up with changes in the game that effect your play.

Waarheid #7 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 20786 battles

View PostHarlott1, on May 27 2020 - 11:55, said:

I respect your opinion. Of course it doesn't take great skill to place the aim dot on target to hit your target. My point exactly. If you do, it should hit the dang target, especially in a game! The deviation the shell makes is nothing like a real tank shell... Maybe it is for an artillery shell, but not a tank shell. I get that different tanks/shells do different things. But tank shells in real life, as we are relating bc of you response, are in reality pinpointed, adjusted, and made to hit with accuracy... This game used to do that... I dont think its ridiculous to assume that if you place your crosshairs on a target, then it should hit it.

Shell  deviation is based on real-world analysis of the accuracy of actual WW2 tanks firing under combat conditions, and WoT accuracy is actually better than real-world under those conditions.

Edited by Waarheid, May 27 2020 - 18:02.

cavalry11 #8 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:02

Captain

• Players
  • 55460 battles
  • [WPP] WPP
No the round does not hit in reticle circle 70 % of time, open eyes and watch.

Slatherer #9 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:06

Major

• Players
  • 41013 battles

View PostHarlott1, on May 27 2020 - 08:39, said:

Server reticle is find in your settings.  

Never auto lock on a soviet tank, it locks on the middle of the tank and that is where soviet tanks have the most armor.

Also, never auto lock an EBR.  they are just too fast for it.

In fact, try not to auto lock.  It's a steeper learning curve, but worth it.  Only do it if you are more concerned with driving than shooting.

Harlott1 #10 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 27 2020 - 17:00, said:

The fact that you don't know what the server reticle is, and how differently it operates compared to the client reticle tells me a lot...

Also, penetration is a very complex subject, saying that fewer of your shots pen now than before indicates to me that you haven't kept up with changes in the game that effect your play.

Trying to say Im a dummy in a nice way is actually still rude. I am not claiming I am a WOT God or any good. Just stating my hate missing targets when aiming directly at a target regardless of me keeping up with changes... How hard is it to NOT be an a-hole in these posts... The fact is crosshairs on a target in my original scenario should hit the target, period, whether I am an old player or new...

Edited by Harlott1, May 27 2020 - 18:08.

Harlott1 #11 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostSlatherer, on May 27 2020 - 17:06, said:

Server reticle is find in your settings.  

Never auto lock on a soviet tank, it locks on the middle of the tank and that is where soviet tanks have the most armor.

Also, never auto lock an EBR.  they are just too fast for it.

In fact, try not to auto lock.  It's a steeper learning curve, but worth it.  Only do it if you are more concerned with driving than shooting.

Good info! Thank you.

GeorgePreddy #12 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:08

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostHarlott1, on May 27 2020 - 13:55, said:

No... WWII era tanks did not have "pinpoint" accuracy, and the way they "adjusted" was to fire a ranging shot (or maybe 2 or or even 3) before having a great expectation of hitting the target tank at all, much less some weak point on the target.

As far as a real world comparison, below... see the actual WWII test results:

U.S. Army Armored Board's report on tank gun accuracy, standing still & using stabilizer gyro.

a) Using the tank cannon, 50% hits may be expected on a tank front at 500 yards, and 25% hits may be expected at 1,000 yards.

In the game of WoT, accuracy is far better than those real results as actually carefully tested in the game by 4TankersAnd Dog:

Fully aimed shots by "4TankersAndDog", a Tanking With Science video, results:

Firing with 5 different tank / gun combinations to test accuracy of fully aimed shots in WoT.

Fired from 400 meters range at a stationary IS-7 front.

CDC using food to have a .31 accuracy    = 97% hits

KV-1S with 85mm & .39 accuracy           = 92%

T-34 76mm, .45 accuracy                          = 90%

KV-1 122mm, .51 accuracy                       = 87%

KV-2 152 mm, .56 accuracy                      = 77%

Harlott1 #13 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View Postcavalry11, on May 27 2020 - 17:02, said:

No the round does not hit in reticle circle 70 % of time, open eyes and watch.

Just an example of what people say is all. I see the round not hit inside reticle many times... just saying it should...

Harlott1 #14 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-

View PostGeorgePreddy, on May 27 2020 - 17:08, said:

No... WWII era tanks did not have "pinpoint" accuracy, and the way they "adjusted" was to fire a ranging shot (or 2 or 3) before having a great expectation of hitting the target tank at all, much less some weak point on the target.

As far as a real world comparison, below... see the actual WWII test results:

U.S. Army Armored Board's report on tank gun accuracy, standing still & using stabilizer gyro.

a) Using the tank cannon, 50% hits may be expected on a tank front at 500 yards, and 25% hits may be expected at 1,000 yards.

In the game of WoT, accuracy is far better than those real results as actually carefully tested in the game by 4TankersAnd Dog:

Fully aimed shots by "4TankersAndDog", a Tanking With Science video, results:

Firing with 5 different tank / gun combinations to test accuracy of fully aimed shots in WoT.

Fired from 400 meters range at a stationary IS-7 front.

CDC using food to have a .31 accuracy    = 97% hits

KV-1S with 85mm & .39 accuracy           = 92%

T-34 76mm, .45 accuracy                          = 90%

KV-1 122mm, .51 accuracy                       = 87%

KV-2 152 mm, .56 accuracy                      = 77%

Dude, I get it... your a pro... I still hate that when I aim at target it misses by a mile nowhere near where I am shooting

GeorgePreddy #15 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:16

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostHarlott1, on May 27 2020 - 14:10, said:

Just an example of what people say is all. I see the round not hit inside reticle many times... just saying it should...

If you use the server reticle for aiming, and you have a decent connection without high ping or packet loss, you would find that almost 100% of all shots fall within a fully aimed and settled reticle. The only exceptions being very rare computer or server glitches.

Client vs Server

Shots that fall outside of your aim or go into a completely different direction are usually caused by network or server lag. This can happen because every movement of your aim on your client has to be transmitted to the server first and executed there as well. So regardless of your latency the server aim will always lag slightly behind your aiming on the client. If you press CapsLock + 0 during a battle, your client will show an additional blue reticle which shows the last information the client has received about where the server is currently placing your aim, as well as the size of the aiming circle on the server. Since this is subject to latency as well, it is not entirely accurate either, but if you are having latency related problems it can be a good idea to use the server reticle and wait until server and client reticles match before you fire a shot. The server reticle is not displayed while Automatic Aiming is engaged.

As far as pen goes, try watching this:

https://youtu.be/UFktFSJZPsQ

I_QQ_4_U #16 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:18

Major

• -Players-
  • 26768 battles

View PostHarlott1, on May 27 2020 - 18:10, said:

Other than SPG's I have never seen a shell not land within the aim circle ever.

Harlott1 #17 Posted May 27 2020 - 18:51

Corporal

• Players
  • 6937 battles
  • [-RH-] -RH-
Actually trying out server reticle now. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users