• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

Jambijon #1 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:04

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 3829 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Attention Tankers!

We have some big changes and updates coming to the Sandbox!  Equipment has been pretty straight forward without much specialization, so this test will help us diversify play styles using different and updated equipment.  As always, this is a test and nothing on the sandbox is final.

To get started, here's a video going over the changes as well as the reasoning for them:

There's quite a lot of information to unpack here.  Luckily, we have a detailed article with all the juicy details.  To get more information, check out the link below.

[Sandbox] Equipment 2.0 Test Kicks off June 2

GLHF!

callofwar #2 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11868 battles
Holy molly that's gonna change the meta by a ton. Will be interesting to see the effects of stacking equipments from the same category to boost a particular weakness of a tank.

KadSkirata #3 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:27

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21360 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
I generally like the changes, but am not a fan of restricting certain equipment to vehicle types. For example, I use coated optics on my STRV 103B, and I don't want to use a Binocular Telescope on it. Additionally, I don't always want to put equipment on low tier tanks, so I'll just put on binocs and a camo net onto them so I have some sort bonus without having to cough up additional credits. 

Sieg_Oder_Valhalla #4 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 21449 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A
The fact that demounting equipment costs 10 gold is going to severely cripple this new system. Only being able to own 1 version of each tank and only mount 1 set of equipment on that tank and walling off changing that equipment behind premium currency is going to heavily incentivize just keeping the old firepower/general utility equipment meta instead of playing around with the new equipment. There will be niche tanks that benefit from special builds, but as long as premium currency blocks free equipment switching then the "standard" equipment build will remain.

Cricketer #5 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16635 battles
  • [MARV] MARV
"Interface Improvements
There will be no tank modules in the redesigned panel. Most players change the modules of their tanks immediately after researching them, so you will be able to purchase them in a special window in the tech tree. Players then rarely return to these modules, except for when they want to change the gun on their vehicle."

I for one you that A LOT. Where I possible I do switcheroos for guns, engines, radios etc. For example the WZ-120 and WZ 111-4, I change the engines and the radio.

Axium13 #6 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:33

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21796 battles
  • [BRU2L] BRU2L

These changes are supposed to make things more simple???? Yet it is far more complicated.  And (if I understand the equipment right) it seems we have to choose a role for our tanks prior to battle. For example, for light tanks you have to put on equipment to be passive or active scout.  But you don't know the map you will get, and the role of light tanks changes drastically depending on the map you drop on.  On the surface it seems you lose a lot of flexibility in your tanks by having to define a role via the equipment.

Maybe I am missing something here, but these changes do not seem like a simplification.  And one of their points was that there was "standard" loadouts people were using. There will still be standard loadouts, and you will still have unused equipment, just more unused equipment because you introduced more equipment for people to NOT use.

I hope this idea dies on the sandbox server just like the HE changes.

Edited by Axium13, May 29 2020 - 18:37.

Buttknuckle #7 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:33

Major

• Players
  • 56288 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ
Looks like 4TankersAndDog is going to be busy with a new backlog of equipment videos.

icedTeais4Me #8 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 21747 battles
  • [MOWR] MOWR

I think many of these changes are interesting but I am worried that some of my favorite Tier 4 tanks will be limited and restricted to what I can use to fight tier 6 tanks. I sometimes do play low tiers because I actually like the tanks, not to seal club. I feel like removing options lower down and then expanding them up top really make the skill level much farther apart. That being said I already use equipment in the game on tier ten tanks that is considered "rare" My Obj268 (not the version 4 one, the standard one) I Use tool kit, with repair crew, and Tool kit directive. I play it like a sudo heavy tank with 750 alpha. The maximized repair time lets me get in close and I am only tracked for 2 seconds even without a repair consumable. I'm not too sure about SOME of these equipment options but I do like others. I do not agree that there were only a few options for equipment. You already could make cool "builds" but I guess now its gonna be a bit different IF these changes go live.

Here is a quick pros and cons list from me:

Pros:

- Streamlining equipment and reduced costs
- Wet ammo rack
​- Improved unit aiming class (new)
- Enhanced suspension (new) allows your suspension to return to normal after being repaired 1 time. Basically gets rid of that yellow effect which slows you down by only a degree or two per second
​- Proposed equipment to reduce your consumable cool down. This would be a big + for those Tank Destroyer players who want to be able to stay mobile. It wont counter perma tacking but will help with it significantly
- Improved Tank helmets. Reduces stun effects. This would be a must if WG keeps artillery in its current state
​- More filters
- Turbos! (toyko drifto)
- I like that they are proposing equipment to further increase stationary traverse speed. This will help when you are tracked and getting circled by those pesky light tanks

Cons:
- Restricted low tier equipment would make being bottom tier that much worse. I guess it's okay if you force everyone into that scenario to make it even? What happened when your template system gives the 3/5/7 rule in tier 5/4/3? Tier 3 are not allowed as much equipment as tier 5. I guess those bottom 14 players (both sides included) are up the creek without a paddle then?
- The Maus can just bump it's health to crazy high levels which I would put as a pro but I don't see this option for other heavies. so for now it's a con due to it being only available for that specific tank 
​- Premium tanks are not mentioned. I assume you can now make a Defender now have improved armor, HP and more firepower. I don't want to see premium characteristics changed, in this manor, they are in a good spot now. let the Tech tree tanks catch up. Just because vents make the tank overall better on paper does not mean it's better it battle. Equipment changes a tanks characteristics and the cadence and rhythm of battles. I had to take vents off one of my heavy tanks because it made to mobility too good and it didn't feel right. I replaced the vents and the tank became much better for me even though it lost 5% on paper.
- Low noise exhaust. This proposed equipment increases concealment. This further increases invisible tanks. I want to be able to spot my own targets, not rely on a system that tells me if I can or can not see a concealed tank. We already have camouflage net. That's enough 
​- BIG ONE HERE:

2/3 Equipment slots now have Bonus multipliers. This is great and all but it counteracts your ideas of wanting more customization. This is forcing players who want to improve their tank to only pick the equipment the corresponds with those slots. They are tank specific, not player chosen. Remove these as its only furthers confusion of having bonuses in only 1/2/none of the slots. Some players may want certain equipment in a certain order for good luck. It may not matter but forcing the "Scouting" bonus on the left slot and "Firepower" in the middle slot (STRV103B in the video for example) may not sit well with some people who like to have all gun rammers in the right hand,not middle, slot for example. 
- Still no smoke rounds
​- No Artillery equipment mentioned. I do like playing my higher tier Arty for missions, Nothing was covered if that class is getting any special equipment

Overall very good ideas. I am excited to play the test server and try these out. It is not perfect but that is why we are testing.

Side note: For ramming tanks like the E50, E50M, and IS-7 (only examples) I would like to see a piece of optional equipment for helping with ramming, either prevents a tracking shot 1 time OR something to multiply the ramming damage effect.

IDK opinions down below? 

Edited by icedTeais4Me, May 29 2020 - 18:59.

JakeTheMystic #9 Posted May 29 2020 - 18:55

Major

• Players
  • 26495 battles
  • [TRY] TRY
WG: You can pay 600,000 credits to increase the HP of your maus by 150, this could help you win the battle!
Me: Cries as I have to suffer through arty focus for an additional 150 hp

Einzelganger7 #10 Posted May 29 2020 - 19:09

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9793 battles
  • [WOLFD] WOLFD
Wow, I actually like so much the new equipment they will add, especially the mobility and survivability ones. Though I think they should give less bonuses to wheeled vehicles to balance things, otherwise the ebr 105 will be even more broken.

MajorRenegade #11 Posted May 29 2020 - 19:27

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30410 battles

one thing I MUST!! point out is that removing Binocular Telescope from light and other tanks(beside TDs) is one of the most stupidist thing you could do. All tanks need to be included period

I kinda agree with quicklybaby on this one at 51:15 min mark

Edited by MajorRenegade, May 29 2020 - 19:27.

coconut2011 #12 Posted May 29 2020 - 19:30

Major

• Players
  • 70649 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

I love having equipment choices.  So this is a big major big plus.

On the other hand, it becomes nearly impossible to min-max things.  It is in fact significantly harder to figure out if certain combination of equipments are better.

We need an individual training room with a variety of terrains to test drive a tank.  This is very much needed to see the speed boost etc can make a difference.  We need an option to test the combinations without actually mounting the combination.  Otherwise, it would be insanely expensive to figure out the right combination of equipments for a tank.

madogthefirst #13 Posted May 29 2020 - 19:38

Major

• Players
  • 26169 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostJakeTheMystic, on May 29 2020 - 09:55, said:

WG: You can pay 600,000 credits to increase the HP of your maus by 150, this could help you win the battle!

Because 150+ HP is going to make the difference to a tank with 3000, this is of course best case scenario and all other tanks will compare even worse if not out right laughable.

MajorRenegade #14 Posted May 29 2020 - 19:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30410 battles

View PostJakeTheMystic, on May 29 2020 - 12:55, said:

300+hp if you put in the correct slot. so 3310 hp

Shibadogdog #15 Posted May 29 2020 - 19:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 57618 battles
  • [CRZY] CRZY
who comes up with these idiotic ideas? 

LtKelly #16 Posted May 29 2020 - 19:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20052 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA
Binocs on other tanks besides TDs, most times does more for increased Survivability than adding a few HPs due to the fact that they can, and usually will, let you see the invisa-tank that is snipping your team. Adding 150 HP to a tank only means that you can survive one more shot from the the TD you cant see.

FrontenacDuVandoo #17 Posted May 29 2020 - 20:07

Captain

• -Players-
  • 21706 battles
  • [BBI2] BBI2

The article mentions registration before May 19... some sort of typo or loss in translation maybe?

First impression is I'm not a fan of the class restriction for the optics/binocs. But I guess that part of the goal is to focus the classes into their role, so I kind of get it.

It's just that TDs always seem to be treated as bush campers, while the fact is that we also have heavily armored TDs that play completely differently.

I'm a big fan of the reduction of equipment/consumable slots in the low tier, that will help level the playing field between the newcomers and the vets.

All in all I'm curious to see how it plays out and want to try it out before commenting too much.

LtKelly #18 Posted May 29 2020 - 20:15

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 20052 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Are we able to join the test for the new equipment because it reads like we missed a registration period that from looking at past announcements never got to us. Only mention of Equipment 2.0 I found was on March 25th 2020                   

* All players who registered before May 19 at 13:59 PT | 15:59 CT | 16:59 ET can participate in the test.

Edited by LtKelly, May 29 2020 - 20:20.

GWyatt #19 Posted May 29 2020 - 20:20

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5417 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

View PostLtKelly, on May 29 2020 - 14:15, said:

Are we able to join the test for the new equipment because it reads like we missed a registration period that from looking at past announcements never got to us. Only mention of Equipment 2.0 I found was on March 25th 2020                   

* All players who registered before May 19 at 13:59 PT | 15:59 CT | 16:59 ET can participate in the test.

If they do as they've done in the last year or more, that is the date your Account needed to be created before. (Chances are that it is a poor choice of words or translation.)

Edited by GWyatt, May 29 2020 - 20:21.

GWyatt #20 Posted May 29 2020 - 20:32

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 5417 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

View PostShibadogdog, on May 29 2020 - 13:48, said:

who comes up with these idiotic ideas? 

If you hang out in the forums long enough, that answer would be the player base, as several of the ideas have been floated here. Like, removing equipment slots at low tiers to better equalize new and veteran players, make more "useful" equipment than the pretty much standard 6 or 7 pieces that get put on everything, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users