Jump to content


Unethical Life Pro-tip Regarding Tournament Names


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

SuperJaws100 #1 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 05:34

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20507 battles
  • 1,697
  • Member since:
    06-07-2011

I recently played against a player who abused the tournament naming system by using special characters in the team name so that his team name would not display properly on the tournaments page, preventing you from seeing who is signed up for the team and what their player statistics are. I was certain that this was a violation of game rules but apparently it is not according to the Wargaming Support ticket I filed. So if you want to maintain a competitive edge against your opponents, enter special characters like the copyright symbol or kanji into the team name slot and other players won't be able to see your vehicle and player statistics before the battle.

 

Example of how the team name appears on the Tournaments page:

Spoiler

 

Example of how it appears in-game:

Spoiler

 

Quite honestly I wouldn't be opposed to player names being anonymized entirely for tournaments, but I think as long as you're allowed to see who you're playing against before hand, this problem needs to be fixed. I'm sure it won't be fixed until it actually becomes a problem - so start doing it.


Edited by SuperJaws100, Jun 05 2020 - 05:37.


Triple_2krecent #2 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 05:39

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 6361 battles
  • 344
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
  • Member since:
    07-18-2018
you will see who is playing and what tanks they bring in battle. doesnt matter 

SuperJaws100 #3 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 06:02

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20507 battles
  • 1,697
  • Member since:
    06-07-2011

View PostTriple_2krecent, on Jun 04 2020 - 23:39, said:

you will see who is playing and what tanks they bring in battle. doesnt matter 

 

It definitely does. Quite often, especially in Tier X tournaments, the opponent you're facing will only have one or two tanks that are eligible for the tournament and you can plan your choice of tank accordingly. That Tier VII tournament that I screenshot, I was alternating between an E25 if my enemies only had viable heavy tanks, and an IS2S if they had anything else. I came out of that tournament with second place, and would've had first but I got one shot ammo-racked by that guy who abused the team naming conventions. -_-

 

A better example is today, I has in a Tier X 1v1 tournament. An opponent only had a Maus and a 60TP in their garage so I switched from my IS7 that I had been using to my JPE100, since I can just derp HEAT into those t tanks to pen them with that tank. I won against that particular player - another player I faced was using an IS7, they beat me but lost to the 60TP guy.


Edited by SuperJaws100, Jun 05 2020 - 06:04.


Triple_2krecent #4 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 06:06

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 6361 battles
  • 344
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
  • Member since:
    07-18-2018

View PostSuperJaws100, on Jun 05 2020 - 06:02, said:

 

It definitely does. Quite often, especially in Tier X tournaments, the opponent you're facing will only have one or two tanks that are eligible for the tournament and you can plan your choice of tank accordingly. That Tier VII tournament that I screenshot, I was alternating between an E25 if my enemies only had viable heavy tanks, and an IS2S if they had anything else. I came out of that tournament with second place, and would've had first but I got one shot ammo-racked by that guy who abused the team naming conventions. -_-


you shouldnt bring tanks that get hard countered if they bring something else than you expect. 



Xeraux_TV #5 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 06:15

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 20 battles
  • 1,106
  • Member since:
    03-24-2020
Bring a tank that can adapt to what you see and just outplay them. It's a tournament, sometimes you get clapped, it happens.

VooDooKobra #6 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 07:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 10320 battles
  • 7,147
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2
  • Member since:
    04-23-2011
I agree with you, this is not cool.  i am not sure who is in charge of the tournys anymore.  have you tried sending a message to someone like boop to get a name you can message directly?

SuperJaws100 #7 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 07:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20507 battles
  • 1,697
  • Member since:
    06-07-2011

View PostTriple_2krecent, on Jun 05 2020 - 00:06, said:


you shouldnt bring tanks that get hard countered if they bring something else than you expect. 

 

I think it's a balance between taking a tank you know you can play effectively in overall and playing against your opponent's potential weaknesses. It works consistently for me during mid-tier tournaments, where I have the option of picking and choosing from dozens of tanks, and I tend to do poorly in high tier tournaments because I don't usually have good tanks for counterattacks. My only Tier Xs are the IS-7 (outclassed by most other heavies nowadays), JPE100 (not usable for tournaments), and the EBR 105 (not usable in solo tournaments).



Triple_2krecent #8 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 07:58

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 6361 battles
  • 344
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
  • Member since:
    07-18-2018

View PostSuperJaws100, on Jun 05 2020 - 07:56, said:

 

I think it's a balance between taking a tank you know you can play effectively in overall and playing against your opponent's potential weaknesses. It works consistently for me during mid-tier tournaments, where I have the option of picking and choosing from dozens of tanks, and I tend to do poorly in high tier tournaments because I don't usually have good tanks for counterattacks. My only Tier Xs are the IS-7 (outclassed by most other heavies nowadays), JPE100 (not usable for tournaments), and the EBR 105 (not usable in solo tournaments).

ok get better tanks like an stb or sconq 



Later_o7 #9 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 08:25

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 23620 battles
  • 227
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
  • Member since:
    07-20-2013

View PostTriple_2krecent, on Jun 05 2020 - 06:58, said:

ok get better tanks like an stb or sconq 

nop they trash
cw rewards broken
op stupids
 



JakeTheMystic #10 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 09:33

    Major

  • Players
  • 26495 battles
  • 3,687
  • [TRY] TRY
  • Member since:
    12-30-2011
Community: We want to be anonymous so we don't get xvm sniped please help
Also community: People are hiding their names in tournaments so we can't tell if they're bad or not! 

I only bother checking to see if they're above or below my PR to gauge my chances of rolling them or not. Either way I just bring whatever the most OP tank is for the tier and roll them regardless of stats, those that bring the same tank as me will be left to the fate of RNGesus. 

Thanks for pointing that out, now I can be anonymized too! 

cavalry11 #11 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 14:08

    Captain

  • Players
  • 54659 battles
  • 1,033
  • [WPP] WPP
  • Member since:
    06-24-2013
Some really stupid responses to a valid question.

cloudwalking #12 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 18:51

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 198 battles
  • 480
  • Member since:
    08-29-2016

the map and common sense will dictate what most bring to a tourney.

 

You don't need to know the player skill level if you treat them all like a 60% unicum.

 

I had that happen to me in a tourney a while ago...I beat the crap out of them in the match.



SuperJaws100 #13 Posted Jun 05 2020 - 21:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 20507 battles
  • 1,697
  • Member since:
    06-07-2011
 

View PostJakeTheMystic, on Jun 05 2020 - 03:33, said:

Community: We want to be anonymous so we don't get xvm sniped please help
Also community: People are hiding their names in tournaments so we can't tell if they're bad or not!

 

View PostSuperJaws100, on Jun 04 2020 - 23:34, said:

Quite honestly I wouldn't be opposed to player names being anonymized entirely for tournaments, but I think as long as you're allowed to see who you're playing against before hand, this problem needs to be fixed. I'm sure it won't be fixed until it actually becomes a problem - so start doing it.

 

Can you read or were you born this dumb?

 



TastyPastry #14 Posted Jun 09 2020 - 19:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 32913 battles
  • 2,085
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostTriple_2krecent, on Jun 05 2020 - 01:06, said:


you shouldnt bring tanks that get hard countered if they bring something else than you expect. 

 

Nah. It's important to know who you're playing against, especially in the tournaments that have fewer players. When you have four or five players, you can limit the variability because you have more vehicles to cover more of the map, along with moving guns appropriately to adjust to the opponent's lineup. However, when you only have two tanks, knowing the kinds of players on the other team is an important part of picking the right lineup. The fewer tanks in the game, the greater the chance that an off meta pick will defeat a meta lineup. 



Triple_2krecent #15 Posted Jun 09 2020 - 19:25

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 6361 battles
  • 344
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
  • Member since:
    07-18-2018

View PostTastyPastry, on Jun 09 2020 - 19:12, said:

 

Nah. It's important to know who you're playing against, especially in the tournaments that have fewer players. When you have four or five players, you can limit the variability because you have more vehicles to cover more of the map, along with moving guns appropriately to adjust to the opponent's lineup. However, when you only have two tanks, knowing the kinds of players on the other team is an important part of picking the right lineup. The fewer tanks in the game, the greater the chance that an off meta pick will defeat a meta lineup. 


I’m gonna beat chieftains by bringing batchats and yolo them because it’s off meta and they won’t expect it :B not like your comp telegraphs what you’re doing. This is why we don’t see -G- boomers playing CL league.



ff8ff8 #16 Posted Jun 11 2020 - 07:01

    Captain

  • Players
  • 18654 battles
  • 1,265
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    05-24-2012
There's the tourney page and your team page for the tourney. I don't remember which, but one of them will have something you can click on. It will just say something like Team 3. You can get the enemy team list that way.

yruputin #17 Posted Jun 12 2020 - 11:02

    First lieutenant

  • -Players-
  • 34863 battles
  • 775
  • [HOR] HOR
  • Member since:
    03-08-2016

View Postcavalry11, on Jun 05 2020 - 14:08, said:

Some really stupid responses to a valid question.

100% true. you hit the nail on the head. new players are not wanted by Wg I guess .few want to help on this game just rude  and snotty people. sadly it is too common.

 

 



TastyPastry #18 Posted Jun 15 2020 - 00:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 32913 battles
  • 2,085
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostTriple_2krecent, on Jun 09 2020 - 14:25, said:


I’m gonna beat chieftains by bringing batchats and yolo them because it’s off meta and they won’t expect it :B not like your comp telegraphs what you’re doing. This is why we don’t see -G- boomers playing CL league.

 

So you responded to me with a cherry pick and an ad hominem. Nice. 



guncrib #19 Posted Jul 29 2020 - 03:18

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 32438 battles
  • 354
  • [JAV] JAV
  • Member since:
    03-21-2012
He's in my bracket tonight and I've seen this before. It should be addressed by WG

BaconMeLoveIt #20 Posted Jul 29 2020 - 22:24

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 15109 battles
  • 2,448
  • [VX] VX
  • Member since:
    06-10-2016

It's not like a specific vehicle class is required unless otherwise stated in the tournament rules.

 

You can still see the name on the queue just not on the tournament page. You can get like a few minutes to check before the match begins.

 

I was not paying attention to opponents' names since I just play whatever.

 

So I am not sure if the opponent's IGN will show only after opponent clicks 'Ready" or not.

 

How about this though? WG should just automatically anonymize players on tournaments to avoid that situation.

 

 

 


Edited by BaconMeLoveIt, Jul 29 2020 - 22:25.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users