• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

KRZYBooP #1 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 14:44

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 4602 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Howdy Boom Jockeys!

During the stream with the developers, we announced that we are working on the rebalancing for wheeled vehicles. Today we want to talk about the planned changes. 

Description of the Problem

One of the key problems for most players is that the wheeled vehicles survive for too long despite being under massive enemy fire while actively spotting. This is due to both their small size and their high mobility and dynamics. Another aspect is that the wheeled vehicles are almost impossible to immobilize because they do not stop when their suspension is damaged. Instead, they simply slow down a little. The effect of damaged wheels on vehicle dynamics is relatively low. For a noticeable effect, several wheels should be damaged.

All this creates a situation in which a player, in order to effectively engage a wheeled vehicle, should fully focus on a single objective at the cost of ignoring other aspects of the battle or forgetting other missions. A small window for causing damage, the difficulty of making an accurate shot, and other random factors make destroying a wheeled vehicle a non-trivial task. If we assume that the opponent is a very experienced player who can maximize all the advantages of a wheeled vehicle, then it becomes very difficult to counter this vehicle type.

In order to balance the wheeled vehicles and reduce their survivability, we want to do the following: 

• Increase the effect of damage to the suspension to cause the vehicle's behavior to change, slowing it down
  • Slightly reduce the characteristics of the imbalanced vehicles by reducing their firepower and mobility

Adjusting the Mechanics

We want to approach the problem described above from two directions. First, we’ll make changes to the mechanics of causing damage to wheels. Previously, a damaged wheel affected only the dynamics, not the current speed, of the vehicle. So if you kept moving without losing speed, the damaged wheels wouldn't affect the behavior of the vehicle too much. But if you slowed down (for example, when making a quick turn), the damaged wheels would cause lower dynamics, making it more difficult to build up speed again.

We want to test the adjustment of this mechanic. Now, if the wheels are damaged, both vehicle dynamics and speed will noticeably decrease. Damage to a drive wheel will reduce the overall power of the vehicle, and damage to a traction wheel will affect the speed. Considering that almost all wheeled vehicles in the game have all-wheel drive, damage to any wheel (both retracted and lowered) will cause a reduction in dynamics. However, the speed of the vehicle will decrease only when the damaged wheels are currently touching the ground.

Moreover, damage to the first wheel will have the greatest impact on the vehicle's speed and dynamics. For each subsequently damaged wheel, the overall effect will increase, but less abruptly.

A simple example: The Panhard EBR 105 moves at a speed of 95 km/h. After taking damage to the first wheel, it quickly loses speed to 68 km/h. And after taking damage to another wheel, the speed drops to 52 km/h. This will make the vehicle much more vulnerable, thereby reducing its chance of survival when under heavy enemy fire.

Rebalancing Technical Characteristics

The second aspect of the test changes to the wheeled vehicles is the rebalance of their technical characteristics. We want to slightly decrease the gun handling parameters, as well as the acceleration and top speed of some vehicles.

Our goal is to maintain the distinctive gameplay of wheeled vehicles without causing them to resemble a branch of tracked light tanks. We expect that a small decrease in the technical characteristics, in combination with the change to the mechanic of causing damage to the wheels, will have a sufficient effect on reducing the battle performance of these vehicles.

You can find the list of changes below. Please note that the adjustments are not final.

Panhard EBR 105

Dispersion during movement: 0.06 -> 0.08

Dispersion on hull traverse: 0.06 -> 0.08

Dispersion on turret traverse: 0.03 -> 0.04

Aiming time: 1.2 -> 1.4

View range: 350 -> 340

Engine power: 750 -> 720

Top speed in Rapid mode: 95 -> 91

Reverse speed in Rapid mode: 70 -> 65

Chance of engine fire: 0.1 -> 0.15

Panhard EBR 90

Forward speed in the Rapid mode: 85 -> 83

Reverse speed in the Rapid mode: 85 -> 83

Engine power (top): 580 -> 560

Conclusion

We believe that such changes will affect the overall performance of wheeled vehicles in battles. The role of the vehicles won't change. They'll remain effective at active scouting, but they'll cause less damage to enemies (especially from a distance) and lose a little from their dynamics and top speed. You'll have to play more carefully in these vehicles, and the consequences of taking damage will be more serious than they are now.

Please note that this is only the first test iteration of the planned changes. Note that all the above adjustments are not final. We look forward to your feedback!

bake3020 #2 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 14:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 134 battles
  • [-BAT-] -BAT-
KB, I could butcher your post but I wont.  What will say is simply this: Your not going far enough.  All of them need to be brought back down to earth and be no more than any other light tank.  They are way to fast, The have a special auto aim that the rest of the game vehicles need, and they almost always land on their wheels?  That tells us that they need to loose their special anti-physics abilities as well.  If that can't be done, then they need to be removed from the game, just like the Type 59 was removed from general sale.  Yes I know WG will have to take a hit but, it's worth it to all of us, in the end.  Get them all and all at once, not just piece-meal like what we are seeing, this is a ridiculous and unbalanced way to do this but, we also know that WG is known for pulling these types of stunts.

SlappedbyPatton #3 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 14:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28906 battles

LOL .....

this is why I gave up on WOT  long ago.... , first they release a broken tank , that everyone grabs  then nerf ... 

BAIT AND SWITCH ...

I love how they put the FL10 up for sale just before the last segment of Front lines...just to squeak out more sales... 

anyhow 

MagillaGuerilla #4 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 14:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 26142 battles
I'll believe it when I see it.

Gothraul #5 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 2906 battles
  • [J0LLY] J0LLY
Better offer a partial refund if you WG are going to be nerfing the premiums as such without some form of compensation is going to make people salty. Should be nerfing the 279 and Chieftain but obviously no one cares. 

cavalry11 #6 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 54222 battles
  • [WPP] WPP
Biggest problem is the no miss gun they have. If you don't fix that or give same aimbot to everyone you have accomplished nothing.

Ahrtoo #7 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41551 battles
  • [IXGD] IXGD

It's a start. And I do think the right approach is to tone down the game mechanics advantages wheeled tanks have.

I'll be interested to read how the decrease in speed works out. I'd like to see it coupled with either an elimination of the auto-repair of wheel damage or an increase in the amount of time it takes for that repair to happen.

And then, yeah... physics. All the vehicles in the  game should be subject to the same set of rules.

Edited by Ahrtoo, Jun 24 2020 - 15:18.

GeorgePreddy #8 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:20

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

View PostSlappedbyPatton, on Jun 24 2020 - 10:54, said:

LOL .....

this is why I gave up on WOT  long ago.... , first they release a broken tank , that everyone grabs  then nerf ... 

BAIT AND SWITCH ...

I love how they put the FL10 up for sale just before the last segment of Front lines...just to squeak out more sales... 

anyhow 

View PostGothraul, on Jun 24 2020 - 11:00, said:

Better offer a partial refund if you WG are going to be nerfing the premiums as such without some form of compensation is going to make people salty. Should be nerfing the 279 and Chieftain but obviously no one cares. 

FL10 is the only premium wheelie, and it was not specifically mentioned in OP's post.  Whether the changes to how the tank reacts to wheels being damaged will apply to the FL10 or not, remains to be seen.

For instance, when loss of camo on TDs when firing was changed to be the same % as other classes, all premium TDs existing at the time were "grandfathered" and stayed slightly better than other classes. That was a nerf to an entire class, but all premiums in that class were exempted.

If WG decides to nerf the FL10 in any way... they should offer cash refunds to all who paid money for its use.

Time will tell.

Zup77 #9 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 55543 battles
Other than these vehicles have helped me complete some 279e missions, I really don't find them much fun to play. They are in the game now so outright removal is unlikely so the best approach is to tweak, test and then implement. If they are still problematic, then tweak, test and implement. This is a better approach than going too far one way and then yoyoing back the other way. 

__WarChild__ #10 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 39530 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC
Removing them is the best option.  Just let the Tier VIII premiums remain in the game so you don't have to give any money back.  Problems solved.

BaconMeLoveIt #11 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 14822 battles
  • [VX] VX

How about lessening the occurrence of "critical damage" on wheeled vehicle?

Wheeled vehicle receives a direct shot, shave off some HP.

MagillaGuerilla #12 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 15:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 26142 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Jun 24 2020 - 09:39, said:

Removing them is the best option.  Just let the Tier VIII premiums remain in the game so you don't have to give any money back.  Problems solved.

They'll never remove them, they'll just nerf them then release Russian wheelies that are better in every way.

nekojima #13 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 16:05

Captain

• Players
  • 42392 battles
  • [PHASD] PHASD

So best to play a lot more EBR before the nerfs!

At least we can mount two repair kits and with repair skill the impact won't be too bad.

Those that stay alive until near the end game and snipe a lot during the mid game won't be as impacted by the changes. If players shift to that play style, then will it be enough for the haters? Probably not. Hopefully less suicscouts though.

DarthValkyria #14 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 16:13

Private

• -Players-
  • 20139 battles

Well, I think nerfing like you propuse a wheel tank is a good idea, here are my points.

One absolutely agree on the dynamics when a tire is hit and depending which wheel was damaged to see how it affects the movement or speed, we can see How it works on videos when cops shots the tires, that's nice. 

2. Driving a wheel tank requires different abilities, most of the players who complained about it, it was because they don't play those tanks and become angered with it. It's difficult to drive one of those because you need to be extra focus on map, the obstacles, the enemies and also targeting a red, if you modify the dispersion damage its fine but reducing the visibility its not good or fair, if you reach the tier IX or X the enemies on the different categories should be good enough to comfort any kind of tank. This is why the machine guns should be passive working or functional working, and not just being in design of the tank. Imagine a cal.50 hitting one wheel and not your shell, that be glorious. 

Shadowtanker14 #15 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 16:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32207 battles
  • [S-F] S-F
It's good to see that they're getting nerfed but I think they can still be brought down more. They are WAY too OP. The wheelies in tier 9 and 10 are almost unkillable... 

VooDooKobra #16 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 16:24

Major

• Players
  • 10318 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2

View PostSlappedbyPatton, on Jun 24 2020 - 06:54, said:

LOL .....

BAIT AND SWITCH ...

anyhow 

how is it bait and switch when players are asking for nerfs?  you might want to look up bait and switch. 

Edited by VooDooKobra, Jun 24 2020 - 16:25.

DREAD_PIRATE_R0BERTS #17 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 16:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37055 battles
  • [WONKA] WONKA

Handle it like the SuperPershing nerf.  Gold refunds to those who ask for them. 

The other problem is that when you shoot the wheel of an EBR the round stops and doesn't penetrate the hull of the vehicle ending up with a no-damage hit.  Tanks can be tracked through the front wheel and still receive damage.  That needs to be changed on the wheelies. 

Lucy_Han #18 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 16:31

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 3894 battles

The introduction of the wheeled vehicle was a slap in the face to every war gamer.

The nerfs as described are cosmetic at best i.e. here are your nerfs, shut up and leave us alone!

There is only one way to fix them, remove them from the game.

tod914 #19 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 16:35

Major

• Players
  • 67978 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS
Increase the size of the hit box.  Reduce reverse speed.  Lose the special auto aim.

FrozenKemp #20 Posted Jun 24 2020 - 17:08

Major

• Players
  • 56671 battles
I think the speed reduction from wheel hits should make wheelies more cautious about when they engage. It will be a lot riskier to do crazy stuff because one wheel hit can cascade into "slowed down too much, everyone shoots you and you blow up". So I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Also tagged with KRZY, wheeled vehicles, changes, nerf, nerfs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users