unbalanced matches steamrolls whiners Match Maker Post Spammers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

DeviouslyCursed #1 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 00:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9342 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

The current Match Maker is fine. It gives you the stats you deserve over time.

Of course, that's exactly why some people don't like it. They can't handle the truth staring them in the face day after day.

Then there is the "Stop the Blowouts! WAAAHHHH!!!" crowd.

Trying to balance teams will not reduce blowout matches. Certain people on this forum aren't smart enough to figure this out and make thread after thread asking why WG won't change it. These are people who don't understand how losing one or two guns out of a fight can cause an entire flank to collapse, then the rest of the map gets steamrolled. The distribution of skill on either team is irrelevant.

When I had XVM installed (I don't any more, haven't had it for a long time now), I used to see my team with a 60-70% win chance, but occasionally still lose. And when you lose those battles, guess what? It's was almost always a landslide in favor of the underdog team. How did it happen? Their tanks happened to be in the right spot to focus a few down, and the rest was a steamroll that the better players could not stop.

So, if a team that's supposed to lose can steamroll a "better" team, how is making every fight a 50/50 chance going to prevent steamrolls?  Here's a hint: it won't.

TL/DR: Match Maker is fine is you're not stupid.

Edited by DeviouslyCursed, Jun 27 2020 - 01:02.

Otter_von_Bismarck #2 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 01:03

Captain

• Players
  • 25070 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER
The MM could always be improved, but it's still better now than it's ever been. WG has a lot of different factors to try to balance and they're doing an okay job of it right now. Skill based MM won't change outcomes much at all. Bad players are always just looking for an excuse for why they lose.

Nixeldon #3 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 01:23

Major

• Players
  • 63758 battles
I am probably one of the few people who preferred the MM before the templates. If it is fine depends on the specific outcomes desired and preference.

bnmonty #4 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 01:51

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6146 battles
  • [M-O-G] M-O-G

I wish it was more forgiving during grinds.  For example I started the US T29 last week using no free xp.  A tier 7 with all stock tier 6 modules MM’d against tier 9 in several instances.  Even top tier it’s not competitive in stock configuration.  I finally made it through but my personal stats took a hit, i don’t care to even check.  I like the tank now but there’s a night and day difference between start and finish,  in fact, starting out it’s worse than the M6 before it for quite some time.  This is quite a departure from standard rpg’s.

My takeaway,  I hope I don’t have transitional tanks like mine WAS on my team in future matches.  I think MM or the tech tree could improve here.

Littleholyterror #5 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 03:29

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17057 battles
  • [BE] BE

View Postbnmonty, on Jun 26 2020 - 16:51, said:

I wish it was more forgiving during grinds.  For example I started the US T29 last week using no free xp.  A tier 7 with all stock tier 6 modules MM’d against tier 9 in several instances.  Even top tier it’s not competitive in stock configuration.  I finally made it through but my personal stats took a hit, i don’t care to even check.  I like the tank now but there’s a night and day difference between start and finish,  in fact, starting out it’s worse than the M6 before it for quite some time.  This is quite a departure from standard rpg’s.

My takeaway,  I hope I don’t have transitional tanks like mine WAS on my team in future matches.  I think MM or the tech tree could improve here.

Grinding has a detrimental effect on ones stats for sure. Experienced players usually carry enough free XP to upgrade modules or skip the terrabad tank in the line. After doing some recent new grinds I was quickly reminded how painful it can be.

Now imagine getting a group of new players, with expected poor performance at the level they are at, grinding stock tanks. How would MM possibly take every possible stat and make a balanced match? Just too many variables.

Over time everything balances out in the teams we get.

bnmonty #6 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 04:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6146 battles
  • [M-O-G] M-O-G

I don't see why the tech tree needs the lower tier modules for a higher tier tank, it seems contrived.  They should refactor it and make that tier more expensive.

I think MM selecting on average module tiers would be very helpful.  That T29 in that state for all intents and purposes was a Tier 6, not a very good one at that.

Nothing pen'd ever,  slow as hell, a couple of times during the end of matches I could snipe a kill or two if i was still around.    As a new player I know i made some pretty bad habits in this process.  I don't think normal rpg's are structured this way.

I was grinding two other lines simultaneously as well, looking back, that was not wise but the game incentivized it with Battlepass and On Track.

I'm surprised I still play the game. 

There are probably more new pandemic players like me in a similar boat, it might help explain whatever craziness comes out of MM.

Woland #7 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 06:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24202 battles

View PostLittleholyterror, on Jun 26 2020 - 20:29, said:

Grinding has a detrimental effect on ones stats for sure. Experienced players usually carry enough free XP to upgrade modules or skip the terrabad tank in the line. After doing some recent new grinds I was quickly reminded how painful it can be.

Now imagine getting a group of new players, with expected poor performance at the level they are at, grinding stock tanks. How would MM possibly take every possible stat and make a balanced match? Just too many variables.

Over time everything balances out in the teams we get.

Tell me about it. LOL

I finally got around to grinding

Polish, Swedish, Italian and Czech lines recently (still am)... all at the same time. My bad stats dropped to badder. haha

Green_Machine_ #8 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 07:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1171 battles
the crowd that plays this game is an old one, there is a reason why this game has a hard time retaining and bringing new players in, also it appears that the old crowd has a sense of contempt for the regular player - this community is out right toxic at times as illustrated so eloquently by the poster, with some exceptions, perhaps the current mm is unfair - discussion how to make it better shouldnt bother anyone enough to make a thread about it.

bnmonty #9 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 13:18

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6146 battles
  • [M-O-G] M-O-G

Here's an example of what i should've done.   This guy played a few rounds, laughed it up then free-XP'd it.   

If this is how the game is meant to be played then what's the point of having those echelons of modules.   I don't mean to take the thread in a different direction but I do think it's relevant to MM.   Not only the quality of players but the quality of tank is a relevant input into the MM blackbox.

Kliphie #10 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 13:49

Major

• Players
  • 36639 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
+1 OP.  I encourage you to make a slightly different version of this thread every night, it seems to be the thing to do.  

I_QQ_4_U #11 Posted Jun 27 2020 - 14:04

Major

• -Players-
  • 27442 battles
Not really sure what they could do to make it better other then maybe reclass some tanks, like AC's and super heavies. Otherwise it does a really good job of matching classes, the current templates are pretty good and you see mostly same tier +1 games now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users