strategy Tactics courtesy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

chac65 #1 Posted Jul 03 2020 - 21:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 55686 battles
  • [TKZ] TKZ

Nothing annoys me more than a tank that follows right behind me or parks behind me when I have chosen a sniping spot. I don't want to even be pushed when I am in a heavy. When spotted I will often want to back up with little or no notice. If your tank is there I can't back up and I get hit. Do not do this. If you do I will be extremely angry. If I get hit in this scenario, I might let you have the spot and demonstrate precisely how this problem works. 

There is one exception to this rule. When I drive a T-95 you are generally allowed to use my tank as a meat shield. It has extremely heavy armor up front and also cannot back up quickly. This strategy usually only works well if you can shoot over top of the TD. It works even better if your tank has strong turret armor. If so this is almost like having a double barrelled tank. This is, of course, is pretty much the only exception.

Edited by chac65, Jul 06 2020 - 03:44.

cloudwalking #2 Posted Jul 03 2020 - 21:45

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 198 battles

The ones who know this don't do it and the ones who do it will never know better.

Best thing you can do is realize it's happening before a problem comes up and relocate yourself.  Can't fix stupid and this game is flooded with it.  I had a leo 1 get me hit 2x the other day from this...I relocated to the entire other side of the map...the idiot followed me.  I asked the person to please just stay away from me as they got me shot 2x for half my hp almost.  They yolo'd the 9 line.

You can't fix stupid and reasoning with it is even less likely.

Yojimbo50 #3 Posted Jul 03 2020 - 22:00

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 28372 battles
Your speaking to the choir. Don't know why they do it except their stupid or want to see you get hit.

bad_73 #4 Posted Jul 03 2020 - 22:01

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1575 battles
I hate this worse then anything and will troll them to the end of the game.Its the equivalent of killing me ,so I just make them think about it the rest of the game.

rcaf36 #5 Posted Jul 03 2020 - 22:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 49992 battles

I find it is usually the green and above players that think the sniping spots at the back of the map are their god given right even if they don't get in them first. 

If anyone blocks me from backing up or pushes me out from the bush I'm in, I just report the SOBs for physics abuse.

Zup77 #6 Posted Jul 03 2020 - 22:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 56095 battles

There are times where tanks take up pitiful positions and angles that screw it up for everyone and in those times, my first action is to ask them in chat to rethink their approach but if they still want to be a selfish bozo, I'm going to take a position that they might not like. An example is J5 from the South on Fjords. When you get a heavy that wants to side scrape from that position, it makes it difficult to actually get shots in unless you have good gun depression and can fire from K5. If there are 4 or 5 heavies lined up, we have to wait while your HP's get slowly whittled away as you block the entirety of that corner. We'd have to extend too far forward to shoot around you so it really isn't a good strategy unless you are by yourself. 

You can also get a lower tier heavy who thinks sniping is a better option so they'll camp a great spot for an upper tier TD or a medium tank that pulls in behind a light tank and fires on targets being spotted causing the light to take hits for the medium. I get annoyed just like the OP when these things happen but there are times when players bring it on themselves because they can't read a map or a situation or because they are just generally clueless.

dunniteowl #7 Posted Jul 03 2020 - 23:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

If it's really bad, I will, after the match, find the 'offender' and send them a PM.

It goes thusly:

Please do not sit behind someone during a match.  You prevent them from backing up to avoid taking fire.  It is considered EXTREMELY Bad Form.  Thanks!

I have yet to receive a 'screw you' response.  Most of the time, folks will reply, "I didn't know that, thanks for telling me." Or words to that effect.  Sometimes, all it takes is someone speaking plainly and politely to get a message across and very often, that message has to be done calmly afterwards, not during a match.

It's a slow process, however if more folks would take the time to EXPLAIN and not YELL, I think we have a chance to make it reduced.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

(the eternal optimist)

chac65 #8 Posted Jul 06 2020 - 03:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 55686 battles
  • [TKZ] TKZ
FYI I posted this because it is a newcomers thread. Hopefully they might learn early enough.

chac65 #9 Posted Jul 06 2020 - 03:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 55686 battles
  • [TKZ] TKZ

View PostYojimbo50, on Jul 03 2020 - 21:00, said:

Your speaking to the choir. Don't know why they do it except their stupid or want to see you get hit.

This is why I posted this to the newcomers group.

Gothraul #10 Posted Jul 06 2020 - 05:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 3097 battles
  • [J0LLY] J0LLY
This is the sort of crap that has made me toxic over the years and it is caused by bad players as well that sort that do it intentionally to piss people off though they rarely push now but it is still insanely annoying.

Mahrs #11 Posted Jul 06 2020 - 14:50

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 1084 battles

You'll appreciate the serendipity of one of my matches yesterday.  I rolled my little Sherman up into some bushes along the center bowl on Overlord, and I was doing berm drills on the ridge...until I couldn't back up...I zoomed out, and some "special/touched" TD had parked literally right up against me.  I was able to make a hard turn and scoot down the ridge just in time for him to get completely nuked.  

I had a few matches over the weekend that perfectly illustrate the "I'm a greedy idiot and I'd rather screw my team and play a $hit match than let anyone else get good damage/position."  One example - WeeGee gifted me 4x premium rentals for my 4th anniversary in game and I was playing a the WZ TD - I had a nice firing lane setup...until a heavy on my team decided to simultaneously block my firing lane, expose his weak spots and die in place.  

Of course, MM tends to distribute these folks to both teams, so many of my matches were quite good after the "challenged" players sorted themselves out.  

RedneckMech911 #12 Posted Jul 06 2020 - 20:06

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2694 battles
I had a fellow T-34-85 follow me around during one match. Matching me move for move. Tracks almost touching the entire time. Like he thought T-34s should stick together or something. While I'm usually grateful for the company, he kept impeding my shots. I gained sweet release when we both got tracked by arty, but I was quick with the repair kit and moved just in time to watch my annoying twin get blasted by the reds.

dont_ping_me #13 Posted Jul 06 2020 - 20:40

Major

• Players
  • 91354 battles
  • [SNEKS] SNEKS
Perhaps WG will implement bumper stickers. They could have one with a warning to stay back a certain distance.

chac65 #14 Posted Jul 21 2020 - 05:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 55686 battles
  • [TKZ] TKZ

View Postdont_ping_me, on Jul 06 2020 - 19:40, said:

Perhaps WG will implement bumper stickers. They could have one with a warning to stay back a certain distance.

Now this is a good idea.

dunniteowl #15 Posted Jul 21 2020 - 13:17

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

View PostMahrs, on Jul 06 2020 - 07:50, said:

You'll appreciate the serendipity of one of my matches yesterday.  I rolled my little Sherman up into some bushes along the center bowl on Overlord, and I was doing berm drills on the ridge...until I couldn't back up...I zoomed out, and some "special/touched" TD had parked literally right up against me.  I was able to make a hard turn and scoot down the ridge just in time for him to get completely nuked.  

I had a few matches over the weekend that perfectly illustrate the "I'm a greedy idiot and I'd rather screw my team and play a $hit match than let anyone else get good damage/position."  One example - WeeGee gifted me 4x premium rentals for my 4th anniversary in game and I was playing a the WZ TD - I had a nice firing lane setup...until a heavy on my team decided to simultaneously block my firing lane, expose his weak spots and die in place.  

Of course, MM tends to distribute these folks to both teams, so many of my matches were quite good after the "challenged" players sorted themselves out.  

OR...

Instead of attributing it to greed, selfishness and intent to cause trouble, perhaps it's more logical to adduce that these folks simply do not know how to play as well and are ignorant/non-cognizant of the consequences of their actions to others in the game.  Sure it looks greedy and selfish, but if you've ever watched kids rushing to get into a game of something, you'll see an alarmingly similar resemblance to your statement, when the truth is: All those kids want the same thing at the same time and all they can think of is that -- nothing else matters.

It does seem like they're being intentionally selfish, but it's really a case of, "Lord, forgive them, they know not what they do," in action more likely.

Many folks play this game like a single player game.  This means that what you wish to do takes a back seat to what they wish to do.  Yes, it's selfish in that it's focused entirely on what that person intends to do in that instant.  It's also common to be this thoughtless. 

Believe me, I've moved around a lot in my life and I've had to integrate myself into new situations pretty much since I was born and unto now.  18 schools in 11 years from K-11 (I graduated early).  I moved about every 2 years from being born to age 40 (I've been where I am for 20 years and that's the LONGEST time I've ever spent in one place and more than any other ten places combined that I lived).

That's to illustrate that I've had a lot of experience being around a lot of different.people.  There's not much difference in general nature and attitude between all those different groups of folks I've met in all those places.  And there's a lot of them that pretty much don't think about much more than what they wish to do, have, get, take, make, etc. in this moment and maybe for vacation in the summer.  There's not a lot 'wrong' with that, it is just what it is and those folks might be really nice folks when you get to know them.

Online, instead of thinking that everyone is out to screw you, ruin your fun, get in your way, etc, just focus on doing the best you can in the match.  I hate it when those guys get behind me and they have gotten me removed from games from time to time.  Early on I'm sure it happened and I didn't even know it was that.  Even so, I'm pretty sure that early on, I was also responsible for my own fair share of blocked tanks getting killed.

I never meant to do that.  I was just ignorant and focused on what I was doing, what I was aiming at, where I was planning on going and that other guy?  Hate to say it, he was just background filler noise from my perspective.  See?  Even old enlightened 'zen' owl that I am, I misstep, backslide or make mistakes in those moments where the excitement overrides my good sense.  I never intend to harm my chances to win and anytime you cause more trouble for your team mates, you are doing just that.  It still happens, though.

My point is that when we attribute malice from our team mates it changes how we deal with them and perceive their actions.  More importantly, when we attribute that sort of intent behind the actions, we definitely will have a harder time getting past it and not letting it distract us with being triggered about it.  It also has a much higher chance of turning into a game ending distraction if we get heated and attempt to address it over playing to win.

None of that promotes an increase in your chance to win and, in fact, pretty much guarantees that you aren't focused on that objective at least for the amount of time the incident 'rankles' you enough to vest you in engaging in that instead of playing.

Lastly, I prefer to attribute ignorance and inattention to those actions for the fact that those ARE easier to dismiss from my mind during play.  This allows me to free myself of getting upset with them.  I'll avoid and move away from them when I can and if I can't I might just have to sit it out, get killed or find some way to nudge the doofus enough to extricate.  Getting mad about that still isn't going to help me figure out a survivable solution, though, so it's easier to avoid that if I just think of them as 'asleep at wheel' or at least numb from the neck upwards.

Just a thought that reading your post sparked.  Nothing intended to dismiss the incredibly frustrating sensations that those other players can induce with their actions, ignorant or otherwise.  Thought another perspective might be worthwhile.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Rhedae #16 Posted Jul 28 2020 - 20:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 1750 battles
Tunnel focused is what is happening here, had it when I started, now I'm more careful, due to reading the forum. I didn't start reading till after a couple of months. People bumping into me doesn't bother me except if you're that teir 10 p###k I keep bumping into.

LpBronco #17 Posted Jul 28 2020 - 22:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 50809 battles
  • [TG] TG
There are times (and we've been doing this from BETA) that it can be helpful to push a slower tank to help him make up ground early. It does behoove the "mule" to know when to go on and assume your own position. There are always spoil sports and those that don't understand that this game works best as a team game where we value our teammates and help them when and where we can.

chac65 #18 Posted Jul 30 2020 - 04:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 55686 battles
  • [TKZ] TKZ

View PostLpBronco, on Jul 28 2020 - 21:02, said:

There are times (and we've been doing this from BETA) that it can be helpful to push a slower tank to help him make up ground early. It does behoove the "mule" to know when to go on and assume your own position. There are always spoil sports and those that don't understand that this game works best as a team game where we value our teammates and help them when and where we can.

For the most part no, it is not of any use to push a tank. You barely add any speed to that tank (1-2kph maybe) and you slow your ability to get good position. You are better off getting good position and covering their advance. Furthermore you stop that tanks ability to reverse if they have to. DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS ASKED. I get angry if someone tries to push me unless asked. 2 slow tanks are worse than 1 slow tank plus you are both sitting ducks for arty. THE ONLY TIME I DON'T MIND IS IF I AM IN A T-95 NO EXCEPTIONS.

Edited by chac65, Jul 30 2020 - 04:54.

Gothraul #19 Posted Aug 10 2020 - 19:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 3097 battles
  • [J0LLY] J0LLY

Also tagged with strategy, Tactics, courtesy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users