Should I dump the M48 for the T57

medium tanks heavy tanks m48 t57

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Wihtgar #1 Posted Jul 11 2020 - 04:05

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24734 battles

Ok so I've had the M48 for awhile now.  It was my second Tier X tank and I got shortly after my first one, the E5.   The thing is, I just can't F'ing play this tank.  I dunno why, but I just can't.  It just does not fit my play style.  I'm either a bruiser or a hider, and it doesn't do either of those things well.  The armor sucks, and it lights up like a Christmas tree.  I got all the observation skills maxed out and that's with BIA, but I still get spotted before I see my enemy, I dunno even know how.  The thing is just like a bulb of light that everyone sees. Despite the fact that it has a very high spotting rating.

So while I'm not really thinking about selling it.  I am thinking about taking the crew and throwing into the line that leads to the T57.   Without a crew, it's not going to get played.  But so far, I just haven't been liking it.  I like my E5 and IS6 and I suspect I'll like my E3 (I could buy it now and have a good crew for it).  I like my T-49 and think I'll like the Sheridan once I unlock it.  It's cool cause even though it has no armor, it's kind of stealthy and has the big boom. The M48 though has been a let down. I don't even know why I'm in the battle in this tank.  I just feel lost; like what the hell am I supposed to do?

Honestly, the only reason I haven't already done this is cause I love playing my M4 Improved.  And once the crew transfers to heavy I'll lose the crew for that tank.  I have other crews that are OK, but not as good.

Thoughts? 

Edited by Wihtgar, Jul 11 2020 - 04:09.

death_stryker #2 Posted Jul 11 2020 - 04:36

Captain

• Players
  • 4615 battles

I love my M48 :unsure:

But I totally get what you're saying, and I think if it's not working for you, you should feel free to ditch it. The M48 is one of those tanks that really works when it works, and really doesn't when it doesn't.

I don't really know how to describe its proper playstyle, other than that you should be playing it as if you were pretending to be a unicum. It's a pretty weird feeling, because when I play it I play way more confidently (translation: cocky) than in other tanks, and that somewhat fake confidence works.

power_Donky #3 Posted Jul 11 2020 - 05:02

Major

• Players
  • 38435 battles
  • [SEGA] SEGA

M48 used to not work for me either but once I started playing it more after battle pass I absolutely fell in love. Over 500 meter view range with the crew and the gun is very nice. Hull down is a monster, I have abused t95 chieftains and the like. I two marked it as well. I recommend watching some YouTube vids and giving it some time. It took some time for me too. http://wotreplays.eu/site/5450141#sand_river-power_donky-m48a5_patton

thats my best game in it^ maybe you can learn something from it. In regards to the t57, the m48 is def the better tank (I feel)

SuperJaws100 #4 Posted Jul 11 2020 - 05:39

Captain

• Players
  • 21041 battles

The M48 is one of those Tier X tanks that by all means isn't bad, it's just not meta, and Tier X is where non-meta tanks suffer the worst. The IS7, for example, is not bad at all, but it just doesn't do its job as well as the Obj 705 (sidescraping) or the Obj 277 (heavium). Hell the 268 v4 is a better heavy tank.

The T57 Heavy is also not meta, and you might have a good time in it, but you're probably still going to be screwed over by the "meta" tanks like the Maus, the Chieftan, the Obj 430U, etc.

Edited by SuperJaws100, Jul 11 2020 - 05:40.

Wihtgar #5 Posted Jul 15 2020 - 21:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24734 battles

View PostSuperJaws100, on Jul 11 2020 - 05:39, said:

The M48 is one of those Tier X tanks that by all means isn't bad, it's just not meta, and Tier X is where non-meta tanks suffer the worst. The IS7, for example, is not bad at all, but it just doesn't do its job as well as the Obj 705 (sidescraping) or the Obj 277 (heavium). Hell the 268 v4 is a better heavy tank.

The T57 Heavy is also not meta, and you might have a good time in it, but you're probably still going to be screwed over by the "meta" tanks like the Maus, the Chieftan, the Obj 430U, etc.

I'm sure there is truth to that.  Still I manage a 60+ win rate in my non meta IS-7, but average around 40 in my M48.  I think it's just me.  I can't figure this tank.  It doesn't fit my play style.

SuperJaws100 #6 Posted Jul 16 2020 - 05:13

Captain

• Players
  • 21041 battles

View PostWihtgar, on Jul 15 2020 - 15:46, said:

I'm sure there is truth to that.  Still I manage a 60+ win rate in my non meta IS-7, but average around 40 in my M48.  I think it's just me.  I can't figure this tank.  It doesn't fit my play style.

Well there could be a few reasons for this. You have to figure out if there's a specific deficiency in the vehicle that's holding you back. For example, I am not at all a fan of French autoloaders. I got to play the Lorr 40t as a rental a few times and I know it's a good tank but I just can't stand it. I dislike those long-reload autoloaders, I didn't feel like I could do what I wanted to do in the tank.

On the flip side, one of my favorite tanks in the game is the T21 American Tier VI light tank. I'm a unicum in it and I still do really well in it despite the fact that it's been powercrept quite a bit. Most people despise the tank and were glad to see it removed from the tech tree. It has this excellent combination of accuracy, rate of fire, and view range that just clicks for me. I don't know what it is.

Maybe your issue with the M48 is the cupola weakspot. Most people who play the Patton learn to protect it but it can be a bit too frustrating for some players. You might want to go for something like an STB-1 then which still performs the "ridgeline warrior" role but has a turret with smaller weakspots.

Wihtgar #7 Posted Jul 16 2020 - 05:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24734 battles

View PostSuperJaws100, on Jul 16 2020 - 05:13, said:

Well there could be a few reasons for this. You have to figure out if there's a specific deficiency in the vehicle that's holding you back. For example, I am not at all a fan of French autoloaders. I got to play the Lorr 40t as a rental a few times and I know it's a good tank but I just can't stand it. I dislike those long-reload autoloaders, I didn't feel like I could do what I wanted to do in the tank.

On the flip side, one of my favorite tanks in the game is the T21 American Tier VI light tank. I'm a unicum in it and I still do really well in it despite the fact that it's been powercrept quite a bit. Most people despise the tank and were glad to see it removed from the tech tree. It has this excellent combination of accuracy, rate of fire, and view range that just clicks for me. I don't know what it is.

Maybe your issue with the M48 is the cupola weakspot. Most people who play the Patton learn to protect it but it can be a bit too frustrating for some players. You might want to go for something like an STB-1 then which still performs the "ridgeline warrior" role but has a turret with smaller weakspots.

Lol, the T21... yeah that's another one I never got.  I've still got it in my Garage. I bought it back when it was in the tech tree.  I didn't really mind it, but I never understood a light tank being there.  I was never good with that tank though. I prefer alpha over DPS.  In fact, I ended up not continuing that line.  I actually did a little better with the M48 today, but had good teams in my games (which is rare).  I didn't play it correctly though.  I just hung with the heavies, since I know how to fight with a heavy. And I ignored "how to play a medium school."  I'd be better off just working on another heavy.  I unlocked the E3 today.  I may give that a spin.  I've liked the T-95 and the OP T28.  I don't like the E5 though.  That cupola is just too much of a problem.

Edited by Wihtgar, Jul 16 2020 - 05:44.

SuperJaws100 #8 Posted Jul 16 2020 - 08:08

Captain

• Players
  • 21041 battles

View PostWihtgar, on Jul 15 2020 - 23:42, said:

Lol, the T21... yeah that's another one I never got.  I've still got it in my Garage. I bought it back when it was in the tech tree.  I didn't really mind it, but I never understood a light tank being there.  I was never good with that tank though. I prefer alpha over DPS.  In fact, I ended up not continuing that line.  I actually did a little better with the M48 today, but had good teams in my games (which is rare).  I didn't play it correctly though.  I just hung with the heavies, since I know how to fight with a heavy. And I ignored "how to play a medium school."  I'd be better off just working on another heavy.  I unlocked the E3 today.  I may give that a spin.  I've liked the T-95 and the OP T28.  I don't like the E5 though.  That cupola is just too much of a problem.

If you like the "sit in front of enemies and watch them weep" kind of gameplay, the Maus line may be good for you. You may want to ask yourself the question, though, if it's the tanks you hate or the tier. I realized recently that I very simply abhor Tier X gameplay (I think it's the worst tier in terms of powercreep and punishes underpowered tanks much more severely than other tiers). I plan to get myself a 268 v4 for the lols and a Maus for heavy tank missions but from now on, I grind tank lines with the Tier IX as the end goal, not the Tier X.

Wihtgar #9 Posted Jul 16 2020 - 22:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24734 battles

View PostSuperJaws100, on Jul 16 2020 - 08:08, said:

If you like the "sit in front of enemies and watch them weep" kind of gameplay, the Maus line may be good for you. You may want to ask yourself the question, though, if it's the tanks you hate or the tier. I realized recently that I very simply abhor Tier X gameplay (I think it's the worst tier in terms of powercreep and punishes underpowered tanks much more severely than other tiers). I plan to get myself a 268 v4 for the lols and a Maus for heavy tank missions but from now on, I grind tank lines with the Tier IX as the end goal, not the Tier X.

I like playing my IS-7, and I love my T-95 going up against Tier X.  I'd battleground in it if I could.  But I just don't like certain tanks.

Let's take T7 for example, I rage sold my T7 ST Emil (the German AT POS) and I'll probably rage sell the A-44, but I love my Tier 7 Leo and my T25,  T29 and KV-3 (or course who wouldn't?).  But I never cared much for the T20, or the Comet. I didn't mind any of those enough to rage sell them like the T7 St Emil, but I don't like them.  I'm sure it's just the tank.  I'm working on the Maus, but I know I won't like it.  I kill Maus all the time in my T95. I don't mind slow, but slow and with a big profile.... although I do like the KV-4 a lot (I know people won't understand).

Edited by Wihtgar, Jul 16 2020 - 22:53.

I_QQ_4_U #10 Posted Jul 18 2020 - 07:40

Major

• Players
  • 30188 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
VR isn't going to help you not getting spotted and the M48 has really bad concealment, the worst of all the tier 10 meds, think the only one even close to it is the E50M.

Wihtgar #11 Posted Jul 18 2020 - 22:42

Sergeant

• Players
  • 24734 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Jul 18 2020 - 07:40, said:

VR isn't going to help you not getting spotted and the M48 has really bad concealment, the worst of all the tier 10 meds, think the only one even close to it is the E50M.

Well my thought was that with great VR, I might see them first. 

_SirFury_ #12 Posted Jul 21 2020 - 19:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 70631 battles
  • [4ORCE] 4ORCE
I play my 48 more than my 57.

Also tagged with medium tanks, heavy tanks, m48, t57

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users