New tank tank super test light tank

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

gideon_an #21 Posted Jul 24 2020 - 19:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 36740 battles
  • [6-ACR] 6-ACR

I took a look at it and think the gun might actually be worse then the ELC EVEN 90. :P

Oberjager_Jeremy_Torres #22 Posted Jul 24 2020 - 22:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19465 battles
  • [CR506] CR506
So the era of "Super" as meaning "Reward Tank", so they dont put extra effort on making them and pull full effort on premium tanks so they keep milking the cows.

heavymetal1967 #23 Posted Jul 24 2020 - 22:18

Major

• Players
  • 78720 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

[ S T ] M24E2 Super Chaffee

Oh my bad.  That's in reference in the "super" process that inspired this design as well as Equipment #2.

Superbuzz Chaffee

Equipment 2.0

cavalry11 #24 Posted Jul 25 2020 - 15:34

Captain

• Players
  • 56079 battles
  • [WPP] WPP
You wonder why WG keeps dreaming up these lousy tanks? Ops forgot it is not Russian.

subweevil #25 Posted Jul 25 2020 - 23:52

Captain

• Players
  • 39899 battles
  • [S0YUZ] S0YUZ

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Jul 24 2020 - 15:14, said:

so it has dispersion literally worse than a kv2...

thinkingface

• can't make a decent map to more often than a couple of times per decade. 
  • balancing decisions made at a pace that rivals tectonic plate movement.
  • despite wildly successful game format by NOT being like 'other MMO's' - continues down the path of trying to make the game like other mmo's
  • despite tons of feedback where folks are telling you that equipment 2.0 is change for the sake of change, continues down the path of horrible, tablet based UI, and instilling changes where literally nobody of any statistical significance is in favor of it
  • above is a literal precedent that means crew 2.0 that virtually no established player is interested in will also be shoved down our throats

but never fear, we'll keep on churning out premium tank content...  

That should be a new WG quote, "Enhanced gameplay experience with premium tank content."  Heck, I bet they could even slip it in the patch notes!  Sounds a whole lot better to me than "Fixed Technical Issue."

SpectreHD #26 Posted Jul 26 2020 - 14:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17150 battles
  • [TT] TT
If it is not going to have the same stats before it was changed, then what is the point.

ThePigSheFlies #27 Posted Jul 26 2020 - 15:01

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostSpectreHD, on Jul 26 2020 - 08:50, said:

If it is not going to have the same stats before it was changed, then what is the point.

to be fair, the original bobblehead chaffee saw tier 10s, which would mean in theory that it would need to be a tier 8.

but in the current garbage map meta having a gun that awful and having to count on mid-tier muppets to shoot what you light is nothing but an exercise in frustration.  (like much of the rest of the wargaming experience to be honest)

SpectreHD #28 Posted Jul 26 2020 - 18:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17150 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Jul 26 2020 - 22:01, said:

to be fair, the original bobblehead chaffee saw tier 10s, which would mean in theory that it would need to be a tier 8.

but in the current garbage map meta having a gun that awful and having to count on mid-tier muppets to shoot what you light is nothing but an exercise in frustration.  (like much of the rest of the wargaming experience to be honest)

Hmm... true. Then the gun should be at least equivalent to the Type 64.

Mikosah #29 Posted Jul 26 2020 - 19:58

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Jul 26 2020 - 11:02, said:

Hmm... true. Then the gun should be at least equivalent to the Type 64.

That's the problem, there's no way to balance a tier 6 light to be on par the Type 64 without it being considered overpowered. Then again, if you make a tier 6 light well balanced with its other peers, then its inevitably going to be considered nothing but an inferior Type 64. This is a very unfortunate lose-lose situation to be in. Hence the alternative of putting the Super-Chaffee in a different tier. I reiterate what I suggested before- it would make a very interesting tier 7 with its original gun and view range. If even that is powercrept in today's meta, they can always buff it a little.

SpectreHD #30 Posted Jul 27 2020 - 05:14

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17150 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostMikosah, on Jul 27 2020 - 02:58, said:

That's the problem, there's no way to balance a tier 6 light to be on par the Type 64 without it being considered overpowered. Then again, if you make a tier 6 light well balanced with its other peers, then its inevitably going to be considered nothing but an inferior Type 64. This is a very unfortunate lose-lose situation to be in. Hence the alternative of putting the Super-Chaffee in a different tier. I reiterate what I suggested before- it would make a very interesting tier 7 with its original gun and view range. If even that is powercrept in today's meta, they can always buff it a little.

Yeah, that makes more sense. Implement it the way the implemented the "Super" Hellcat at Tier 7.

Mikosah #31 Posted Jul 29 2020 - 05:22

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

View PostSpectreHD, on Jul 26 2020 - 22:14, said:

Yeah, that makes more sense. Implement it the way the implemented the "Super" Hellcat at Tier 7.

Admittedly, the super duper Hellcat is itself kind of awkward. The old version at tier 6 had a fantastic gun for its role, while the new one at tier 7 not so much. Its playable, they did at least find a way to get a Hellcat with the old mobility again, that's something. If I had been asked to find a way to get the old Hellcat to be added alongside the new one, honestly that might have stumped me. I don't think there is a way to represent the old Hellcat's niche without mangling the existing tech tree some way or another. The scheme they went with- basically a slightly different T25/2 with the original mobility restored is probably the best compromise that was available, but it was still a compromise.

But the beauty of the Chaffee situation is that they could make an exact copy of the original stats (plus some hit points), plop it in tier 7, and if we had never seen it before we would think it was a very weird light tank, but I don't foresee any major balancing problems and at least in theory it could fill a very similar role to how it used to be. The one remaining obstacle is the current meta. For starters, as previously mentioned, scouting as a tactic is situational at best. Few maps support it, even then its difficult and risky, and in any case the real work is done by the brawlers who fight at close enough ranges to spot for themselves. And then there's this somewhat recent trend (the last few years, time flies) that the dev team seem to have become absolutely terrified of the idea of a conventional tracked light that has good scout-ability and a decent gun at the same time. Scares the pants right off of them, probably wakes them in the middle of the night in tremors and cold sweats. If they saw old footage of lone heavies caught in the open, stalked and then aggressively circled by high-DPM light tanks half their tier, they'd soil their britches.

Found some old footage that genuinely warmed my heart:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users