strategy courtesy tips tactics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

chac65 #1 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 00:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 55634 battles
  • [TKZ] TKZ
Some people think it is a good idea to push slower tanks like heavies and slow TD's. For the most part this is a bad idea. You might add 1-3 KPH to the speed of a slow tanks. You have removed 15-30 KPH from the speed of a fast tank. You have only succeeded in turning 1 slow tank into 2 slow tanks. If you are a faster tank, you have more value getting out in front and spotting other tanks. If you spot someone out front, the heavy tank can shoot them from far behind. Furthermore it is better to scout ahead so that we know what is coming. Also if you spot someone, arty can hit them. I also cannot back up if you are behind me.There are some rare instances when pushing can help, but in most instances, it is a bad trade off. If I want a push, I will ask.

AllieOop2 #2 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 00:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 20 battles
Pushing used to get me into places that are now off limits to mountain goat

PapioTitan #3 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 00:28

Captain

• -Players-
  • 48992 battles
Very original post and one I can sympathize with. I find more often than not I'd rather they didn't do it. Your not changing my T-95's speed and you could be doing something more productive for the team.

Cowcat137 #4 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 01:38

Major

• -Players-
  • 17692 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

View PostAllieOop2, on Aug 02 2020 - 00:28, said:

Pushing used to get me into places that are now off limits to mountain goat

You ruined it for everyone

jt1alta #5 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 01:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 50623 battles

I don't mind getting some help going up a hill. But,when playing arty I have found it is hard to get players to stop when approaching a cliff.

I think it's because they can't see very well when pushing.

vonkevin #6 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 02:43

Captain

• Players
  • 30650 battles
I also do not want to be pushed - but I absolutely despise players who will zoom up behind & proceed to push without asking.  As soon as one of these yahoos begins pushing, I do a hard 90 degree turn, which slips them off my [edited], then return to my course.  If they repeat, I repeat.  I call this move the "Crazy Ivan".  (See the film Hunt for Red October)

Manimal__ #7 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 45490 battles

View Postchac65, on Aug 01 2020 - 15:24, said:

Some people think it is a good idea to push slower tanks like heavies and slow TD's. For the most part this is a bad idea. You might add 1-3 KPH to the speed of a slow tanks. You have removed 15-30 KPH from the speed of a fast tank. You have only succeeded in turning 1 slow tank into 2 slow tanks. If you are a faster tank, you have more value getting out in front and spotting other tanks. If you spot someone out front, the heavy tank can shoot them from far behind. Furthermore it is better to scout ahead so that we know what is coming. Also if you spot someone, arty can hit them. I also cannot back up if you are behind me.There are some rare instances when pushing can help, but in most instances, it is a bad trade off. If I want a push, I will ask.

Pushing is counter productive. Not only is the slow tank going to get to wherever slow, now you have 2 tanks that will get there slow. I don't know how many times I've seen 2 tanks pushing a Maus or T95. That just causes 3 tanks to not get into position in time.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Aug 02 2020 - 14:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 31544 battles

Have to stand with OP.

When I first started, the old physics allowed you to do some pretty amazing things you can't do now.  Sometimes pushing was an obvious speed up for your most important tank(s) and folks thought pushing on them was helping.  I thought this also.

It's really not true.  It doesn't really help for all the reasons the OP gives.  And I didn't believe that when I first started playing.  I recognize it's truth now, though.

One of the BIGGEST MISTAKES, imo, is to stop or slow down YOUR or a Team Mate's unit at any time before you are ready to make contact with the other team.  You slowing YOU down to barely speed up another unit is not helping your team.

I play by a simple mantra:

Survive

Do Damage

Help Your Team

If you have a plan when the timer hits zero, ACT on it.  If your plan is to get to location A, no matter what, then, no matter what, get there as fast as you can.

That means:  No pushing other tanks, no stopping to shoot at Red Units that are YOLO scouting, no funky detours on your path.

And IF your plan at the start of a match is to 'push tank Y until X spot' then you BETTER ask that person before the timer hits zero if they want a push where they're going.  Pushing a tank that does not want it (or won't benefit from it) is violating point three of the mantra: Help Your Team.

What you do at times YOU might think is helping your team or 'doing the right thing' during a match and instead, it could be one of the things that make it harder to win, because you might be doing something that really doesn't help your team as much as you doing your best to get up there and do the first two things:

Survive and Do Damage.  If you do that part well enough, the slower tanks will join you and help add some punch to the fight.

My overall experience is that driving tanks in this game is much like driving cars in real life.

Don't follow too closely.

Don't ram, push or bump others.

Don't move to prevent others from moving too. (Don't cut others off, cross from behind not in front)

Get to where you're going as efficiently as possible (don't meander, vary speed or direction if you don't have to).

Don't push a tank, pass it.  Get to where you're going and be ready to hold a spot until that slow tank gets up there to help you.  And remember, if you are that much faster, it's YOU who should worry about going too far forward before you ever worry about making that slow tank get there a touch faster.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Also tagged with strategy, courtesy, tips, tactics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users