Seeking Crew advice - the red percentage boys

crew training red percentage percentage tank wot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

C257_Tanks #1 Posted Aug 14 2020 - 16:47

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2213 battles

I'm still rather new here (June 2020) and I've found that thus far I believe I know the least about crew management and such.  I'll read FAQs and whatnot (I've got to do that soon.)

But I think my question here is one of crew strategy, at least of sorts.   A few weeks ago I was reading a post by a veteran that offered advice to novice players. He said that when you turn in a rental tank the system will allow you to keep the well-trained crew (if you have the bunk space).  He said that was a good move for "newer" players.

Well, I've since done that a few times.  And it looks like it is a good move in some ways, but I wanted to ask a few things about the results.

For example, you have a commander in a tank you haven't played much but do want to keep.  Say he's at 60% trained.  You swap him out of an eligible crew member from the former rented tank that was at 110%. The percent turns red on the display, I assume because he's not 'certified' for that tank.

The system knocks 25% off his trained percentage because of the non-certification but since he crossed 100% in some tank, it still lets you train in a specialty.   Also, in this example, the red percentage is still a lot higher than the crew member that was that slot before.

Seems like that is a good move, but am I missing something?  Wondering if this crew member can ever get out of the red without paying for it.  I found a way to retrain but it cost gold and if I understood correctly it knocks him down to 60% ("Not red")

PTwr #2 Posted Aug 14 2020 - 16:56

Major

• Players
  • 49693 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew

Read it all, then come back and ask for clarifications ;)

PapioTitan #3 Posted Aug 14 2020 - 17:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 49478 battles

View PostC257_Tanks, on Aug 14 2020 - 09:47, said:

I'm still rather new here (June 2020) and I've found that thus far I believe I know the least about crew management and such.  I'll read FAQs and whatnot (I've got to do that soon.)

But I think my question here is one of crew strategy, at least of sorts.   A few weeks ago I was reading a post by a veteran that offered advice to novice players. He said that when you turn in a rental tank the system will allow you to keep the well-trained crew (if you have the bunk space).  He said that was a good move for "newer" players.

Well, I've since done that a few times.  And it looks like it is a good move in some ways, but I wanted to ask a few things about the results.

For example, you have a commander in a tank you haven't played much but do want to keep.  Say he's at 60% trained.  You swap him out of an eligible crew member from the former rented tank that was at 110%. The percent turns red on the display, I assume because he's not 'certified' for that tank. CORRECT

The system knocks 25% off his trained percentage because of the non-certification but since he crossed 100% in some tank, it still lets you train in a specialty. ??   Also, in this example, the red percentage is still a lot higher than the crew member that was that slot before.

Seems like that is a good move, but am I missing something? Better yes but not a good move Wondering if this crew member can ever get out of the red without paying for it. NO unless you train them for free I found a way to retrain but it cost gold and if I understood correctly it knocks him down to 60% Training for gold makes him/her 100% for that tank. If you want to avoid spending gold, train to 90% using 20,000 silver and use personal reserves to train up to 100% faster. Takes about 10-12 battles. Using RED crew members has a serious negative affect on tank performance.

Edited by PapioTitan, Aug 14 2020 - 17:15.

MiddleAgedNoob #4 Posted Aug 14 2020 - 18:16

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25704 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostC257_Tanks, on Aug 14 2020 - 10:47, said:

The system knocks 25% off his trained percentage because of the non-certification but since he crossed 100% in some tank, it still lets you train in a specialty.   Also, in this example, the red percentage is still a lot higher than the crew member that was that slot before.

What PapioTitan said, with an addition. Your 'red' crew member will continue to gain experience, albeit at a reduced rate, and, since s/he is already at 100% in their major qualification, it will be applied to what ever skill or perk they are working on.  Perks and skills work as normal.

I have used 'red' crew members while grinding up a line, not bothering to retrain for gold or credits until I reach a target tank.  You will suffer the performance penalties, but if all you are doing is grinding as fast as possible, the advantage is that you will not pay that 20% penalty more than once (if you pay in silver), or the repeated gold expense. Retraining twice with silver is 1-.8^2 or 36% xp loss.  Three times is 1-.8^3 or 49% xp loss.

GLHF

Edited by MiddleAgedNoob, Aug 14 2020 - 18:24.

rokinamerica #5 Posted Aug 14 2020 - 18:45

Major

• Players
  • 5102 battles

View PostC257_Tanks, on Aug 14 2020 - 07:47, said:

A few weeks ago I was reading a post by a veteran that offered advice to novice players. He said that when you turn in a rental tank the system will allow you to keep the well-trained crew (if you have the bunk space).  

If you keep the rentals in your garage you can use them as added bunk spaces and they do not take up a garage slot. 

PapioTitan #6 Posted Aug 14 2020 - 22:20

Captain

• -Players-
  • 49478 battles

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Aug 14 2020 - 11:16, said:

What PapioTitan said, with an addition. Your 'red' crew member will continue to gain experience, albeit at a reduced rate, and, since s/he is already at 100% in their major qualification, it will be applied to what ever skill or perk they are working on.  Perks and skills work as normal.

I have used 'red' crew members while grinding up a line, not bothering to retrain for gold or credits until I reach a target tank.  You will suffer the performance penalties, but if all you are doing is grinding as fast as possible, the advantage is that you will not pay that 20% penalty more than once (if you pay in silver), or the repeated gold expense. Retraining twice with silver is 1-.8^2 or 36% xp loss.  Three times is 1-.8^3 or 49% xp loss.

GLHF

What is better...or worse? Running a qualified crew at 60% or a RED unqualified crew at 80%? I know both suck but if you had a choice?? Is there a formula?

Brynar #7 Posted Aug 15 2020 - 01:20

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14918 battles
  • [XFBI] XFBI

View PostPapioTitan, on Aug 14 2020 - 22:20, said:

What is better...or worse? Running a qualified crew at 60% or a RED unqualified crew at 80%? I know both suck but if you had a choice?? Is there a formula?

If I remember correctly, a "red" crew doesn't accrue XP and will suck forever. If you are F2P, always train using credits. Never go with the 50% crew. Also avoid moving crew between tank types as the XP penalty is greater at 25% vs 10%. Premium vehicles are great crew trainer because there is no penalty placing a different crew in it as long as the crew is trained for the same type of tank. As was mentioned earlier, keep rental tanks as extra bunks. I'm not sure if it works, but contemplate using crew books to train crew that is in rentals before moving them. That way you can fast-track their XP and skill progress before retraining to a vehicle you ultimately want them in.

MiddleAgedNoob #8 Posted Aug 15 2020 - 11:57

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25704 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostBrynar, on Aug 14 2020 - 19:20, said:

If I remember correctly, a "red" crew doesn't accrue XP and will suck forever. If you are F2P, always train using credits. Never go with the 50% crew. Also avoid moving crew between tank types as the XP penalty is greater at 25% vs 10%. Premium vehicles are great crew trainer because there is no penalty placing a different crew in it as long as the crew is trained for the same type of tank. As was mentioned earlier, keep rental tanks as extra bunks. I'm not sure if it works, but contemplate using crew books to train crew that is in rentals before moving them. That way you can fast-track their XP and skill progress before retraining to a vehicle you ultimately want them in.

A 'red' crew does continue to earn experience, although at a reduced rate compared to a 'green' crew.  I confirmed this just now by running my AMX 13 75 crew in my AMX 12t for a game and comparing experience in the crew's personal file before and after.

I'm not suggesting leaving a 'red' crew in place forever, only that if you are going to grind through two or three low tier tanks before reaching your target vehicle, it can make sense to leave the crew 'red' until you reach your target vehicle.  That way you don't suffer the 20% experience loss from retraining for silver two or three times along the way.

GLHF

Brynar #9 Posted Aug 15 2020 - 12:42

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14918 battles
  • [XFBI] XFBI

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Aug 15 2020 - 11:57, said:

A 'red' crew does continue to earn experience, although at a reduced rate compared to a 'green' crew.  I confirmed this just now by running my AMX 13 75 crew in my AMX 12t for a game and comparing experience in the crew's personal file before and after.

I'm not suggesting leaving a 'red' crew in place forever, only that if you are going to grind through two or three low tier tanks before reaching your target vehicle, it can make sense to leave the crew 'red' until you reach your target vehicle.  That way you don't suffer the 20% experience loss from retraining for silver two or three times along the way.

GLHF

OK, thanks for checking.

MiddleAgedNoob #10 Posted Aug 15 2020 - 12:45

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25704 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostMiddleAgedNoob, on Aug 15 2020 - 05:57, said:

GLHF

Here's a real life example.  I decided I wanted to try the British Heavy Line.  I bought the Caern AX which comes with a 100% crew, from the Premium shop.  I played a few games in it.  I might even have used some crew books on it, I can't recall. I bought the tech tree Valentine.  I put the Caern crew in the Valentine, and unlocked Matilda on the SA server, where I faced mostly bots, but also some stat padding bot clubbers.  Put my Cromwell crew into the Matilda and unlocked the Church I on SA.  As I am a flush experienced player, I used a combination of free xp and blueprints to skip the Church I, Church VII and Black Prince and unlocked and bought the tech tree Caern.  I retrained the Caern AX crew to the tech tree Caern with gold.

Easy grind, skipped the dogs in the line and retained all of the crew xp.  Not something a new player can do, but the a new player can use the combination of red crews and the SA server to make grinds easier and less costly experience wise.

GLHF

SquishySupreme #11 Posted Aug 15 2020 - 17:35

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5186 battles
OK, there are two levels of "red".  I think this is what is confusing the original poster.  Red gets XP at a lower rate but hardly worth mentioning - they will get to 100% fairly quickly.  Red and untrained in the tank itself is what I call double-red and is where things stay broken.  Pay the 20K to re-train the person on the new tank when moving them.  They will take a hit but it will turn green in a few battles.  Their secondary skills will remain the same, on hold until they get to 100%.  

C257_Tanks #12 Posted Oct 05 2020 - 18:28

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2213 battles

View PostSquishySupreme, on Aug 15 2020 - 10:35, said:

OK, there are two levels of "red".  I think this is what is confusing the original poster.  Red gets XP at a lower rate but hardly worth mentioning - they will get to 100% fairly quickly.  Red and untrained in the tank itself is what I call double-red and is where things stay broken.  Pay the 20K to re-train the person on the new tank when moving them.  They will take a hit but it will turn green in a few battles.  Their secondary skills will remain the same, on hold until they get to 100%.  

That is VERY helpful.

I've noticed that when switching and retraining sometimes 60% is "free" but once in a while 80% is "free". Is 80% free when its the same class of tank but a different model? That's my guess.

The other thing I don't understand is when veteran players are talking about switching crews often and/or training a crew in one tank and then switching them to another tank.  I think I'm missing something there, how does one make that a benefit given what "red ink" means here.

Yuri_Doujinshi #13 Posted Oct 05 2020 - 19:00

Major

• Players
  • 24338 battles
  • [TEACH] TEACH

View PostC257_Tanks, on Oct 05 2020 - 17:28, said:

That is VERY helpful.

I've noticed that when switching and retraining sometimes 60% is "free" but once in a while 80% is "free". Is 80% free when its the same class of tank but a different model? That's my guess.

The other thing I don't understand is when veteran players are talking about switching crews often and/or training a crew in one tank and then switching them to another tank.  I think I'm missing something there, how does one make that a benefit given what "red ink" means here.

When they talk about "switching crews" or "crew training", they are usually talking about premium tanks. Premium tanks can take any crew of the same nation and class and maintain 100% specialization; in other words, if you put your IS-7 crew in your IS-6, there would be no penalty to the crew's performance for playing it on the IS-6. If you did it the other way around, where you have a crew trained for the IS-6 and you try and put it in the IS-7, the crew would receive performance penalties since it is not trained for the IS-7.

PapioTitan #14 Posted Oct 05 2020 - 19:02

Captain

• -Players-
  • 49478 battles

View PostC257_Tanks, on Oct 05 2020 - 11:28, said:

That is VERY helpful.

Correct. There is a penalty for retraining crew (free or 20,000 silver) from a different class of tank. 

The other thing I don't understand is when veteran players are talking about switching crews often and/or training a crew in one tank and then switching them to another tank.  I think I'm missing something there, how does one make that a benefit given what "red ink" means here. Red ink is always bad unless you put that crew in a premium tank of the same country and class. The red percentage will then turn white. The tank they are trained to will stay red but that's OK.

C257_Tanks #15 Posted Oct 05 2020 - 19:21

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2213 battles

Thank you PapioTitan!

So that's why what veteran tankers are talking about it being beneficial to train a crew in a tank and then move it to another?  Training a crew in one tank and then moving them to another tank that's same county, type AND a premium tank.  Then there's no penalty?

Edited by C257_Tanks, Oct 05 2020 - 19:21.

MiddleAgedNoob #16 Posted Oct 05 2020 - 20:17

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 25704 battles
  • [MARV] MARV

View PostC257_Tanks, on Oct 05 2020 - 13:21, said:

Thank you PapioTitan!

So that's why what veteran tankers are talking about it being beneficial to train a crew in a tank and then move it to another?  Training a crew in one tank and then moving them to another tank that's same county, type AND a premium tank.  Then there's no penalty?

Right.  Any crew of the right type and nation will work without penalty in a matching premium.  But a crew trained to a premium cannot work without penalty in a non premium.  It only works in one direction.

GLHF

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users