• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

C257_Tanks #1 Posted Aug 17 2020 - 01:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3989 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

Hey Tankers,

For me Pearl River is a brand new map (I've read that it was a map long ago but they've just tweaked it a bit).

This "new map" has got number, meaning the map might as well paint a target on my back and announce my location because that's how it seems to play out for me anyhow.

My skill level is such that I'm no longer a noob, but I still don't play average or better on any kind of consistent basis, so if noob=F ... I'm at D, perhaps  I'd give myself a plus D+ .... still a long ways to go, and with Pearl River I'm a solid F.

Last game I played on that map everyone, and I mean everyone except SPGs and a few TDs tried to go through that main valley pass ... that was a mess, the team I was on got 'creamed'  but I'm not sure the other team was that much better, they were good at being "opportunistic" as they could see that our team was lucky we could tie our boots before battle. Anyhow, Pearl River is beautiful to look at, but I play it worth a s**t.

Kramah313 #2 Posted Aug 17 2020 - 01:22

Captain

• Players
  • 11433 battles
That’s how I usually am on new maps...still a bit like that on Berlin. I still haven’t gotten pearl river yet though. 

moogleslam #3 Posted Aug 17 2020 - 01:35

Major

• Players
  • 60232 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS

I usually pick up the meta and macro/micro positioning on maps pretty quickly, but not with Pearl River. 

I played the old version, but it was a while ago, and I wasn't very good back then, so maybe that doesn't mean much. 

New one is still a mystery to me in terms of how to flank, where to play hull down, where to snipe, and it seems really bad for scouting, especially passive scouting.

EDIT:  .....but at least it's pretty :)

Edited by moogleslam, Aug 17 2020 - 01:35.

C257_Tanks #4 Posted Aug 17 2020 - 02:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3989 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View Postmoogleslam, on Aug 16 2020 - 18:35, said:

I usually pick up the meta and macro/micro positioning on maps pretty quickly, but not with Pearl River. 

I played the old version, but it was a while ago, and I wasn't very good back then, so maybe that doesn't mean much. 

New one is still a mystery to me in terms of how to flank, where to play hull down, where to snipe, and it seems really bad for scouting, especially passive scouting.

EDIT:  .....but at least it's pretty :)

It us that,  :)  (pretty)

rockbutcher #5 Posted Aug 17 2020 - 03:30

Major

• Players
  • 25302 battles
  • [BSQ] BSQ

View PostC257_Tanks, on Aug 16 2020 - 19:11, said:

Hey Tankers,

For me Pearl River is a brand new map (I've read that it was a map long ago but they've just tweaked it a bit).

This "new map" has got number, meaning the map might as well paint a target on my back and announce my location because that's how it seems to play out for me anyhow.

My skill level is such that I'm no longer a noob, but I still don't play average or better on any kind of consistent basis, so if noob=F ... I'm at D, perhaps  I'd give myself a plus D+ .... still a long ways to go, and with Pearl River I'm a solid F.

Last game I played on that map everyone, and I mean everyone except SPGs and a few TDs tried to go through that main valley pass ... that was a mess, the team I was on got 'creamed'  but I'm not sure the other team was that much better, they were good at being "opportunistic" as they could see that our team was lucky we could tie our boots before battle. Anyhow, Pearl River is beautiful to look at, but I play it worth a s**t.

barberouge1 #6 Posted Oct 09 2020 - 19:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 60140 battles
  • [TRON] TRON
After a few terrible losses on the New Pearl River, I had decided that I would ban it, today I got Pear River and we lost 15-1. The map is too open, enemy can flank you from 3 or 4 directions, and impossible to defend. When you get a lot of bad or average players, they have no clue what to do... tier 9 game today, and 2 tier 9s penned 1 shot and the t30 just did over 1k damage....... I wonder how wargaming designs their maps, because so far I have banned Pear River and Empire Border, most recent new maps........  Total garbage

Goat_Rodeo #7 Posted Oct 09 2020 - 19:35

Major

• Players
  • 19655 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4
Don’t feel bad. The new Pearl River is only half baked upon release. Just like Provence, Paris, Minsk, Empire Borders, Studzianki and others as of late. There seems to be a disconnect between the map designers and the game itself. I doubt they play it. 
There’s a distinct lack of soft cover and they suffer from unusable open dead spaces, not to mention the map sizes are underwhelming. 

Edited by Goat_Rodeo, Oct 12 2020 - 03:35.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Oct 10 2020 - 15:48

Major

• Players
  • 38887 battles

Each time you are on a new map, you will probably feel this way.  And, depending on how well you do the first couple times out, your confidence level may or may not be up to the challenge of seeing it anytime soon afterwards.  :)

I can honestly tell you I do not (well, did not) ban any maps, no matter how much I did not enjoy them in whatever manner for whatever 'reason' I had.  The motive for NOT banning maps was that I have the overall view that if something makes me uncomfortable in this game, then I need to dive right at it and find out what that is.  If I don't like a map, I probably feel as if I can't do much on it.

I felt this way the first dozen or so times I landed on Empire's Border.  I hated both Studzianki AND Minsk when they first came out and now I actually enjoy them.  Pilsen, Paris, Prokharovka -- each time I first came upon these maps, inclusive of the old Pearl River -- TOTAL inability to figure out what it is I think I should even do, much less which way to go.

Now that we've all commiserated, what can we do about it?

What i have taken to doing for my gaming is this:  When I press, "Battle!" and the game shows me the Loading Screen (you know, that one before you actually spawn in and load with the countdown timer) shows me an Enlarged Mini-Map of the battle I am about to play.  This is done by:

Hit "ESC" to bring up the game client applet window (the one with General, Controls and all that, which also is your Exit Game window)

Scroll through the options in the General Tab (default tab) and look to the bottom right where it says Load Screen Options or some such.

There is a radio box you can select: Tips, Mini-Map and Something Else (don't recall anymore) -- select Mini-Map.

What this does is display, during your Load Screen, an enlarged Mini-Map (in SD Graphics one would look pretty much like this, taking up about 1/4 of your screen view) [see below]

Posted Image

I don't now how long the average load screen lasts on computers made in the last eight or so years (my old one is 11 now and my wife's is 8) so take that for what it's worth.  Even so, on my computer, I had anywhere from 15 to 40 seconds of time to look at the image with enough detail that I could start planning my routes for where I might spawn onto the map.

The Load Screen Mini-Map shows you:

An ENLARGED Version of the Mini-Map of the Battle Loading Now

Team Compositions

Your Spawn Area in Green (have you ever been on Red Team?  I haven't)

Red Team Spawn Area in Red (Arbviously)

Cap Circle(s)

Grid Coordinates

All these, during your loading time, you can use to help familiarize your self with New Maps and at least give you a small 'leg up' on being completely at the mercy of having to drive it to learn it with no other options.  Also, as you get more familiar with these maps and seeing how wins over losses are deployed across those maps, you will start to get a 'feel' for the average 'appropriate' tactics, positions and options for that map for your unit selected.

So, using this Load Screen Mini-Map, I sped up my ability to get to know the maps I was playing.  It also allowed me to keep my focus on having a plan of action the moment the counter hit zero.  I know a decent number of folks sit back, watch and wait to see what's happening before they commit.  Me?  I think every second forward you can go before making contact is that much better a chance at map control you have for your team.

I also think it's better to have at least three opening plans of movement by the time the Load Screen ends and you are in the Match and counting down.  At that point in time, once loaded into the match, you refine your plans.  Now you exactly know where you are and in what relation to your team mates as well as your favored plan.

This is why you need more than one route planned to what I call: First Contact Position, or usually just First Position.  That is the place on the map where YOU feel YOU can reach BEFORE making contact with the most likely of Red Team to that point.  In short, you want to stop just short of popping out and being spotted by them.  You want them to do that for you, instead.  The place where you can reach with what you feel is pretty much total safety before making contact is just behind where your First Position ought to be.

You want to be just up and concealed with cover at the point where you are pretty sure you're about to make contact.  That should be a few to a dozen meters ahead of that totally safe part of your path.  You'll know you're there when you feel that sensation that you're about to get shot.

Last thing with regard to maps and learning them:  There are two primary features of the maps that make a true difference to your play and the rest of the details are nothing more than that: details.  Most of what you see is there to visually appeal to your eyes' view, however there are only two major features of the maps that are important to you and how you use them.  Terrain and Terrain Objects.

Terrain is how the surface of the maps are composed.  Cliffs, hills, depressions, water courses, plateaus, ridges, valleys, etc, all of these are Terrain Features.  No matter what else is there, that's the ground surface that provides you Cover from fire as it physically blocks shots.  It is the surface features that allow you to dip below a ridge and travel undetected by opponents on the other side.  These Terrain Features are the same no matter what Terrain Objects are placed over them.

Terrain Objects are of several varieties.  There are:  Foliage/Vegetation, Man Made Structures (buildings, bridges, roads, rails, etc), Object Models (cars, trucks, phone booths, hay bales, etc) and Background (which doesn't do anything at all other than make the edges look farther away on the other side of the map border).

Most of all of that is there to make the game feel more 'realistic.'  It is portrayed in a level of detail and attention to it that it simulates an environment visually as well as audially in most cases.  All of it designed and intended to 'deepen' our engagement.

Some of it does make a difference to your actual playing.  Terrain Features and Terrain Objects do that.  So you can learn to treat EACH MAP as a collection of two things: Terrain and Objects.  This means that a hill is a dune with vegetation.  A cliff on El Halluf is just as useful to provide cover as a wall on Paris.  A river with a bridge is a river with a bridge.  If you can go under it, that helps provide cover, if you'll drown doing that, important safety note.

A building corner that you have to learn to sidescrape is just as useful as learning to do that as on the mountain passes of Pearl River.  Learning to make a more objective and dispassionate view of the map and what you can do with the features and terrain on it, will, I believe, allow you to become more comfortable with new maps faster than simply learning them as you play them.  I can definitely say it has helped me become more adept at planning and following those plans during game play and THAT has made a difference in me playing to make Red Team react to me instead of me waiting for them to bait me into action.

Hang in there, OP.  You're doing great.  Patience is going to be your single greatest asset in playing this game.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

TankFullOfBourbon #9 Posted Oct 12 2020 - 13:28

Major

• Players
  • 36211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

Pearl River has gone through many iterations over the years, this is probably the fourth biggest overhaul it's gone through. It has always had three main passages - the heavy flank, the long curve landscape flank, with rice pans and winding roads - the medium flank, and the center with the road across the mountain. Once there's a break-through the game is usually over. In medium tanks, I take the curved flank. There are rocks and deeper pans that provide protection and allows for more aggressive plays - this didn't exist before and is why I like the new Pearl River map.

WG have quite a few of these old maps that I am wondering if they will be coming back. Sacred Valley, another "asian" map, which was much less playable than Pearl River, with a big slob of map totally unusable in the middle of the map due to a "sacred" hill. Swamp is another map that went through numerous overhauls and I personally doubt it will ever come back. It was quite open with two ridges that made it possible for the teams to camp behind them creating stalemate games and unusually high number of draws. Windstorm was an attempt to create a solid city map with enough country side to cater for all tastes. However, the map was really too small and suffered from that. Not sure why WG isn't dusting off this map and re-do it with more map. 

Also tagged with pearl river, maps, statgey, strategy, notice, noobs, novice, wot, stat

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users