A serious thought on how to balance wheelies (not a rant)

EBR wheelie light tank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Panzer__Monkey #1 Posted Sep 06 2020 - 18:05

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13733 battles
  • [FRS] FRS

OK, So by now we’ve all seen enough unconstructive rants about wheelies. And we pretty much all know, even if some cannot accept, that wheelies will not be removed from the game. So how do you realistically balance them with breaking the game or violating the premium purchased tank rule?

1. They should be their own class and not be counted as a light. Give them a symbol that is a round dot to symbolize the wheels.

2. They should be treated similar to arty. So no platooning with other wheelies and they must be directly offset by an equal numeber or wheelies on the other team. With a limit of 3 at most.

3. No special physics for wheelies. They should have the same uniform screwed up physics tanks have. Some tanks roll over if they hit a pebble but wheelies land like cats even when jumping off hills at 70 kph. That is ridiculous. If they had to follow the same physics they wouldnt be so imbalanced.

I’ve tried a few wheelis and personally don’t care for them. As for hitting them, like most I sucked at hitting them at first. I worked on it and now I hit them often, although still working on hitting them even more. But I think I do a decent job of shooting them. 

Just some reasoned thoguhts to share.

moogleslam #2 Posted Sep 06 2020 - 18:31

Major

• Players
  • 53805 battles
  • [GURUS] GURUS
Agree.... as a starting point, but I still doubt that is enough.  That last nerf had practically no impact.

NateRocko #3 Posted Sep 06 2020 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1105 battles
Currently, my only issues with EBRs are the fact that they can turn on a dime, have a better auto-aim than other tanks, and that they get special physics other tanks don't. I feel the same way about ATGMs in Blitz; If this tank can do something that no other tank in the game can, then it is not balanced.

The_Low_Health #4 Posted Sep 06 2020 - 18:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40475 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
Pretty much no to all your points aside from insuring an equal spread.

The_Pink_Panther #5 Posted Sep 06 2020 - 18:51

Captain

• Players
  • 87 battles
  • [-BAT-] -BAT-

View PostPanzer__Monkey, on Sep 06 2020 - 11:05, said:

OK, So by now we’ve all seen enough unconstructive rants about wheelies. And we pretty much all know, even if some cannot accept, that wheelies will not be removed from the game. So how do you realistically balance them with breaking the game or violating the premium purchased tank rule?

1. They should be their own class and not be counted as a light. Give them a symbol that is a round dot to symbolize the wheels.

2. They should be treated similar to arty. So no platooning with other wheelies and they must be directly offset by an equal numeber or wheelies on the other team. With a limit of 3 at most.

3. No special physics for wheelies. They should have the same uniform screwed up physics tanks have. Some tanks roll over if they hit a pebble but wheelies land like cats even when jumping off hills at 70 kph. That is ridiculous. If they had to follow the same physics they wouldnt be so imbalanced.

I’ve tried a few wheelis and personally don’t care for them. As for hitting them, like most I sucked at hitting them at first. I worked on it and now I hit them often, although still working on hitting them even more. But I think I do a decent job of shooting them. 

@ Panzer, I have a much better idea: Bring every one of them into line with all other light vehicles so that there is no one undisputed winner, if you will.  Remove the turn on a dime feature, make them subject to all the same laws of game physics, either remove or give all other game vehicles the same cheat/hack auto aim that they have, remove the ability to shrug off wheel damaging shots that they now have, and just in general, make them run of the mill.  If they can't see their way to do this, then they just need to remove them entirely from the game.

Edited by The_Pink_Panther, Sep 06 2020 - 18:51.

UnitG2 #6 Posted Sep 06 2020 - 18:59

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 36121 battles
I like the idea of wheels being impacted by ground type with bog/mud slowing the vehicle right down to 30.

Geek_Verve #7 Posted Sep 06 2020 - 19:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8935 battles
  • [DHO] DHO

Every good idea for balancing clown cars has been presented ad nauseum. WG have no interest.

oldewolfe #8 Posted Sep 07 2020 - 00:20

Major

• -Players-
  • 28518 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN

If you don't Hit them where they're Vulnerable, you're Wasting Shells....     Stop using HE, use AP and APCR, don't Shoot them in the Sides where the Wheels NOT on the Ground cover nearly ALL of the Hull and Crew compartment as well as other Vital components...     

Learn to Shoot and they'll be Easy Pickin's...      

The Driver isn't going to make it Easy for you to Shoot him, that's all on You to Accomplish....     I keep as much Scenery between Me and the Red's trying to Kill me every chance I get, I'll even use their own Team as Cover when I go thru their Lines....     Not as fun as it used to be when they could Kill each other, but it still Works....       

They're doing Exactly as they're intended to do, Create Chaos in the Opposing Teams Ranks....      They don't even HAVE to Shoot anyone, just Pass thru the Area Bobbing and Weaving, Turning the Red Tanks Around....        If you're Wasting Time on them because you can't Shoot them, they've already Won because Your Back is Turned....     

The Nerf didn't Take like Expected because the Player Base isn't Smart Enough to take what they've been Given and make it Work...      Until they get a Brain Amongst them, the Armored Cars will CONTINUE to make Fools of them....      And you don't NEED an Armored Car to make Fools of this Lot, I can do it in my HWK30, one of the Biggest "Light" Tanks in the Game....

NateRocko #9 Posted Sep 07 2020 - 00:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1105 battles

View Postoldewolfe, on Sep 06 2020 - 18:20, said:

If you don't Hit them where they're Vulnerable, you're Wasting Shells....     Stop using HE, use AP and APCR, don't Shoot them in the Sides where the Wheels NOT on the Ground cover nearly ALL of the Hull and Crew compartment as well as other Vital components...     

Learn to Shoot and they'll be Easy Pickin's...      

The Driver isn't going to make it Easy for you to Shoot him, that's all on You to Accomplish....     I keep as much Scenery between Me and the Red's trying to Kill me every chance I get, I'll even use their own Team as Cover when I go thru their Lines....     Not as fun as it used to be when they could Kill each other, but it still Works....       

They're doing Exactly as they're intended to do, Create Chaos in the Opposing Teams Ranks....      They don't even HAVE to Shoot anyone, just Pass thru the Area Bobbing and Weaving, Turning the Red Tanks Around....        If you're Wasting Time on them because you can't Shoot them, they've already Won because Your Back is Turned....     

The Nerf didn't Take like Expected because the Player Base isn't Smart Enough to take what they've been Given and make it Work...      Until they get a Brain Amongst them, the Armored Cars will CONTINUE to make Fools of them....      And you don't NEED an Armored Car to make Fools of this Lot, I can do it in my HWK30, one of the Biggest "Light" Tanks in the Game....

Did you flunk capitazation class?

GeneralButtBuster #10 Posted Sep 07 2020 - 00:30

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1951 battles
  • [P-W] P-W

View PostPanzer__Monkey, on Sep 06 2020 - 18:05, said:

I think the "making wheelies their own class" a good idea. They are different enough from other lights to where it would make sense.

I don't see why you wouldnt be able to platoon with wheelies, as long as there were an equal number on the other team.

Wheelies do have the same physics as other vehicles. I crash plently of times in mine. The wheels do have some impact on minimizing damage if you land on them, but ultimately if you fall off a cliff in a wheely or a regular tank you are going to die.

GeneralButtBuster #11 Posted Sep 07 2020 - 00:37

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1951 battles
  • [P-W] P-W

View PostThe_Pink_Panther, on Sep 06 2020 - 18:51, said:

@ Panzer, I have a much better idea: Bring every one of them into line with all other light vehicles so that there is no one undisputed winner, if you will.  Remove the turn on a dime feature, make them subject to all the same laws of game physics, either remove or give all other game vehicles the same cheat/hack auto aim that they have, remove the ability to shrug off wheel damaging shots that they now have, and just in general, make them run of the mill.  If they can't see their way to do this, then they just need to remove them entirely from the game.

Another person who clearly just wants something to complain about and doesnt actually understand wheeled vehicles. 

The "hack auto aim" is EXACTLY the same as every other tank in the game, except for the extra bit of berth given for locking because yeah, getting you reticle directly on another tank while going 90kph is not easy.

The are subject to the EXACT same physics as every other vehicle. 

The only way they can shrug off wheel damage is the same way any other tank can shrug off tracking damage; the repair kit. If they dont have one available they are going to be moving at a cool 65kph for at least 10 seconds while they wait for the wheel to repair(which is usually a death sentence for them if it happens in the open).

Also tagged with EBR, wheelie, light tank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users