Game size

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

Bones218 #1 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 20:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 1001 battles
How much memory does this game take up? I know the initial set up was around 2.3 GB, but now as I look at it, it is continually rising and I'm losing GB after GB every day now and the WoT size is now running past 4.4 GB. Does this game just constantly suck memory or something, because computers don't just dump memory every day, and there's no explanation.

owlgator #2 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 20:37

Captain

• Players
  • 11671 battles
  • [GSKUL] GSKUL
The full install is up to 2.43GB but I can't tell if it's with or without the latest patch which would add another .25GB.  They do also recommend 3.5GB of free space so I'm guessing they were anticipating some additional HD use.  Are you taking screenshots?  They default to the same folder which could add to the size.

Side note - You're talking about HD space, not memory.  Just for future reference!

TargetOnTracks #3 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 20:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15645 battles
  • [2MEF] 2MEF

View PostBones218, on Oct 04 2011 - 20:12, said:

How much memory does this game take up? I know the initial set up was around 2.3 GB, but now as I look at it, it is continually rising and I'm losing GB after GB every day now and the WoT size is now running past 4.4 GB. Does this game just constantly suck memory or something, because computers don't just dump memory every day, and there's no explanation.

Are you talking about memory (RAM) or hard drive/disk space? They are not the same thing.

The amount of spaced consumed on my drive is consistent with what you mention...about 4.4GB.

As they add more content (maps, tanks, objects on maps, etc.), it can only take up more and more disk space.

Currently, I see the following consumption...

Maps: 1.08GB with 649MB in landscape and 452MB in skyboxes.
Other Maps Info: (spaces):399MB
Tanks: 1.66GB...about 550MB per nation..about 10-12 MB per vehicle.
Content: 754MB....buildings, railway stuff, gates, fences, etc.
Audio: 203MB
And a bunch of other misc. stuff that I've not categorized.

So, anytime that add a vehicle, it will get bigger. Anytime they add a map, it will get bigger. If the new maps use new objects that were not already used in other maps, it will get bigger. If there are new sounds, it will get bigger.

RayJones #4 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 20:53

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6310 battles
By memory I suppose you mean by amount of RAM. It depends on your graphic settings and whether you have integrated or external graphic card.

At max settings with an integrated graphic card, WoT can alone take more than 2.5GB of RAM.

If you're having an external graphic card then most of the heavy data (graphic,textures) will be stored on the video memory (VRAM) of your graphic card. Again depending on the amount of VRAM your graphic card has, WoT  should take hardly more than 1.5GB of system memory (RAM) at max settings.

Bones218 #5 Posted Oct 04 2011 - 23:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 1001 battles
Well first off, I'm running on a Mac with Parallels to run WoT, and second I'm talking about how much your computer can hold hard drive/space, my mac currently has 250GB and is at 14GB right now, but I've noticed over the days off playing that before I play I may have 12Gb, but then next thing I'll see it'll change to 8GB after playing, I'm even getting errors saying that I need more memory and to restart the game; in game. Now I know these inconsistent errors and the difference of using a Mac may infer a challenge to be explained by people that use computers and not Mac, but I'm looking for anything that explain it.

In addition, I'm not taking screen shots (don't know how to) and I'm running all graphics at low, due to increased problems that occur at anything higher, and only have four tanks (all TDs and up to Marder II) so it's not alot.

Thanks for all the information, and if you have any more information it'll be greatly appreciated.

Bones218 #6 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 00:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 1001 battles
Well after two games,both failing and my game erroring out to my desktop, I now have 12.67 GB hard drive/space. So I just lost 1.43 GB after two 5 minutes game...what the hell!?

TargetOnTracks #7 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 17:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15645 battles
  • [2MEF] 2MEF
Since it is changing when you run the game as opposed to when you apply updates, there is probably a different reason.

Depending on how much RAM you have, you may be seeing the effect of a swap drive (aka virtual memory). If a program (or set of programs) needs to use more memory than your machine has, it will temporarily turn part of the hard drive into "virtual memory", sort of treating it as if it were a much bigger and much, much slower stick of RAM.

The operating system (windows, linux, Parallels, etc.) will move things to the hard drive out of regular memory that it thinks it may not need as frequently and will move it back to memory, swapping it with something else, if it needed. It tries to keep the frequently needed stuff in the main memory. Any time it has to reference stuff from the virtual memory, it gets a LOT slower.

During use, this virtual memory usage can become very large....even several GB at times. However, it is temporary. After time and/or a reboot, it should return to prior levels. It gets increased on demand, but only gets decreased periodically. In windows, the filename used for virtual memory is pagefile.sys, usually located at C:\. Your Folder Options settings may or may not be set to allow you to see the file but it is there.

Since you're running a virtual machine such as Parallels, your virtual machine manager (somewhere in Parallels) will probably have a setting to allocate each virtual machine (Windows) a specified portion of the actual RAM. It would never allocate all of the machine's RAM to the virtual machine that is running Windows. Some RAM would be kept for the host OS (MacOS )and some for the Parallels functions. So, you'll need virtual memory before others on native Windows machines with the same amount of actual RAM. It may, however, be set lower than would be ideal given your actual available RAM and the needs of the game...you might have allocated a small fraction of what could be allocated. If so, you'll see larger swap files and a larger impact on the hard drive space.

I don't use Parallels and don't know how to check/set the amount of memory it allocates to Windows but all virtual machines essentially run the same way. If it allocating far less than your total RAM, increase it...and you'll see less of an effect, even if it is temporary, on your hard drive consumption, AND you'll see better performance in the game.

If it is already allocating most of your RAM to the virtual machine, your only option is to live with the temporary harddrive consumption and loss of performance OR add more RAM and then let the virtual machine use more RAM.

Bones218 #8 Posted Oct 05 2011 - 20:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 1001 battles
Now noticing it and reading through your explanation TargetOnTracks, I've noticed it's returned to it's original level. I'm figuring that it's doing exactly what you've said.

xXRevolutionXx #9 Posted Nov 24 2011 - 22:29

Private

• Players
  • 1037 battles
  • [507TH] 507TH
about 5gb approx