VK 30.01H Medium?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

PipeMajor #1 Posted Sep 14 2020 - 21:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25336 battles
  • [CELT] CELT
Does anyone have any experience with this tank?  Is it decent or what?

Kramah313 #2 Posted Sep 14 2020 - 21:55

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8155 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1

I’m playing through it right now. The big things I have thought about it is that the gun is pretty accurate for a tier 5 and has good pen, but in practice it has a long reload. Reminds me a bit of the Lowe’s gun. The armor isn’t great, but if you angle, sidescrape, or hull down you can sometimes bounce tanks with weak guns. The biggest frustration I have with it is that it’s just slow. Expect 8 kph going up the hill at himmesldorf, maybe 25-30 tops on flat ground. It really feels like it should be a sniper, but it’s tier 5 and there are times where you going to have to get in there and fight with it. If you’re bottom tier, play it further back. The penetration will make it relevant to upper tier tanks. 

Not a bad tank, but I’m ready for the next one. I should note my crew isn’t good, they have most of the 1st skill but that’s it. I do have a multi skilled commander. Originally had thought of leopard 1 but honestly don’t think I have the skill to make that work, and with the buffs coming the E50M line looks kinda fun so probably will go that route eventually. Good luck!

Edited by Kramah313, Sep 14 2020 - 21:55.

NateRocko #3 Posted Sep 14 2020 - 21:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1769 battles
  • [KTSHA] KTSHA
It plays more like a heavy tank; in fact, it used to be one.

UTurnTerminator #4 Posted Sep 14 2020 - 23:25

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 11383 battles
  • [DCAF] DCAF
Former heavy tank. I used to really like it, as it hit pretty hard, yet still had decent mobility at tier 5. The armor wasn't amazing, but that's tier 5 for you. Top gun has good pen, so you don't have to fire much gold... or you can put the 105mm on it, and go to town with HE. Either way, it's fun!

madogthefirst #5 Posted Sep 14 2020 - 23:54

Major

• Players
  • 26693 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
It should have stayed a heavy at least with more hit points of a heavy it was a bit more useful.

PTwr #6 Posted Sep 15 2020 - 00:20

Major

• Players
  • 49970 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View PostNateRocko, on Sep 14 2020 - 20:59, said:

It plays more like a heavy tank; in fact, it used to be one.

But before that it was MT, and I am fairly sure that it was tier 6 last time I looked at it :]

WG just can't decide what to do with it.

Back in 2012 it was... unnecessary addition to tech tree (which might explain why it keeps mutating), right now its just a Pz4 variant, but it got TD grade guns which makes it a hevium.

Basically, mount Konish and suffer through mediocre tank. Its better than L70, and for 105 there are better platforms. 

TheJeep1 #7 Posted Sep 22 2020 - 15:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 53585 battles

This is a "can opener" especially now with all the Valiants running around.  Make sure you use the Waffe gun, 75mm.  Penetration of 157ap 221apcr.  Reload is not long at all 4 seconds, and it can pen any tier5 most tier 6 and 7's. 

I use rammer, binocs, vents, as I hate relying on undependable low tier scouts.

Really the only thing you will have difficultly with it is speed, lack of lower armor, and occasional encounters with tier 7's.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Sep 22 2020 - 15:50

Major

• -Players-
  • 31959 battles

View PostPipeMajor, on Sep 14 2020 - 14:32, said:

Well, I haven't played mine in a while.  It SHRUNK!  It's a Medium now.  When I first got hold of it, it was a really crap HVY.  In fact, in past descriptions I likened this to a very tall, fat MED in the guise of a HVY tank.  As a MED, if no major changes other than Class were made, this would be a pretty decent MED tank.  However, in it's tier and Class as a MED, it would act more like a Heavium, a Med with pretensions of being a Hvy tank.

Just bear in mind those pretensions ONLY extend to size, speed and concealment, whereas in all other respects it is a relatively ho-hum, I guess so, Medium tank in handling, dispersion, penetration and speed, combined with a very so-so VR.  I will say, along with all my other 'glowing praise' for this tank, that up until I slipped up into this tank, I thought the DW2 sucked.  On a tier for tier basis, the DW2 is a much better tank as a HVY as compared to the VK 30.01(H).

As a Medium, I would give it a 'well, if you have to' sort of recommendation on the whole.  If they changed any of the rotation, speed, traverse, etc of the tank as they changed its class, things might be worse or better.  My garage (haven't been able to play since last October) has a big Tarp sitting over it since it changed from a HVY to a MED.

Depending on what kind of player you are, this might not be a fun tank.  This is more of a 'get close to the HVY' tanks at your tier as a Med and more of a 'sit back and try for flanking shots' when bottom tier.  You have decent armor IF you angle correctly relative to your largest threats and, like with most tanks, especially MEDs and LTs, it's better to shoot before being spotted and run away in this tank if you are not top tier.  If you are top tier in it, you can deal out some damage, but you better be sure you have some way to avoid being flanked or surrounded when doing so.

Hope that is at all helpful as an opinion overview based on recollection.  I didn't do that well in it when it was a HVY and didn't get as much time to get used to it as I would have liked.  Even so, this is one of those tanks in the German line that, contrary to history and belief, just does not perform all that well against almost any other line's counterparts at tier.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

thehelmsman #9 Posted Oct 06 2020 - 10:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9358 battles
If I recall correctly, it was originally a tier 6 medium back in the day, alongside the VK36.01 and VK30.01P.  It was distinctly mediocre, but had decent mobility and fitted the Vader turret and the 88 L/56, which was pretty punchy at a tier where most mediums had 75mm or maybe 85mm guns, so some fun could be had playing it as a flanker/brawler medium. A few years ago, they changed it and the 36.01 into heavies as precursors to the Tiger 1, and added the VK30.01M proto-Panther in its place. I never played it as a heavy, and I haven't touched since it was reverted to tier 5 medium.

--Helms

Huge_Guns #10 Posted Oct 15 2020 - 00:56

Private

• -Players-
  • 7025 battles
If you consider the actual history and development of the panzer class of tanks, then wargaming should not have missed the mark with the VK 30.01 H. When you research the panzer iv's, you will see that the later models were equipped with the long 75mm gun and the haul and turret armor was beefed. That being said, because the VK 30.01 H was in fact under development and testing for several years (with only a handful of prototypes being created), then wargaming should have taken this opportunity to have the haul of the VK 30.01 H at a minimum 80mm thick with the front of the turret being 80mm as well. Although the prototypes that were built never had more than 50mm of armor, the argument could be said that the tank's development turned it into the VK 36.01 H, which we know had good armor on haul and turret. So, it stands to reason that if the VK 30.01 H had been put into full production, it would of had armor thickness of at least 80mm front of turret and 80mm front of haul with the rest of the sides and back of the haul and turret being around 50mm. This would be arguably a really good medium tank and not a pre-teen to a heavy tank. All the rest of the tank such as speed and traverse degrees/second would have been developed further too. Just my opinion on the history of German designing.

Edited by Huge_Guns, Oct 15 2020 - 00:59.

Whistling_Death_ #11 Posted Oct 15 2020 - 23:28

Major

• -Players-
  • 72274 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View PostPipeMajor, on Sep 14 2020 - 15:32, said:

The 105 mm howitzer gun that is available for this tank is a beast. HE rounds fired from big guns have great value and can do things AP rounds can not. HE rounds do their work by the size of the explosion/impact, not by penetrating. They set fires, damage tracks, turrets and injure crew members, all without penetrating. HE rounds also inflict the same damage at 1 meter as they do at 500 meters+. With AP rounds, the further the way the enemy tank is, the less and less likely they are to penetrate. Big howitzers firing HE rounds for the win! :)

Edited by Whistling_Death_, Oct 15 2020 - 23:33.

Brynar #12 Posted Oct 21 2020 - 18:02

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15593 battles
  • [XFBI] XFBI
I just sold it and moved the crew to the VK30.02(D). I'm glad I did.

GAJohnnie #13 Posted Oct 21 2020 - 18:24

Major

• Players
  • 11441 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

View PostPipeMajor, on Sep 14 2020 - 15:32, said:

Based on your question I tried it out. It is OP as a teir 5 medium.

mongoosejake #14 Posted Oct 21 2020 - 19:20

Major

• Players
  • 40249 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

One of the best guns of all tier 5's, on a ok platform that can get around but can't take a hit. That equates to a fantastic flanking and sniping medium now.

It originally was a fast tier 6 medium back in the day, and super fun since it had the howitzer, or the accurate 75 so it could play lots of roles. Then the thing got placed as a tier 5 heavy (due to it actually being a early heavy in real life, as it was a development from the DW and in the process of other German heavies) which while it still had great weaponry, the armor made it a thin skinned heavy that couldn't recklessly brawl. Now as a tier 5 medium, the thing's fantastic!

Whistling_Death_ #15 Posted Oct 24 2020 - 08:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 72274 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View PostBrynar, on Oct 21 2020 - 12:02, said:

I just sold it and moved the crew to the VK30.02(D). I'm glad I did.

Too bad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users