mods wot tanks veteran players seasoned players experts amx 40

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

C257_Tanks #1 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 19:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2610 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

Soooooooooooooo seeking advice from the veteran players on Mods.

So yeah, which mods are recommenced by the pro WOT players?

From what I've heard one should only download them from  https://wgmods.net  and that's the easy part.

The first one I tried was just for aesthetics, the mod that makes the French AMX 40 look like a spaceship, and it's really cool, but my understanding is that only other players that have that mod installed can see the modded spaceship.

But what mods are recommended for actually assisting the player, making the player better and/or making WOT easier but still fun?

PTwr #2 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 19:09

Major

• Players
  • 49970 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Well, if you want to remain decent human being then certainly not xvm ;]

Generally mods won't make you better, at best they will give you things to blame instead of focusing on self improvement.

banziduck #3 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 19:14

Major

• Players
  • 25117 battles

Yea MODs won't make you better, I would suggest Aslains mod pack it has a preview s you can see what your adding.

Cheers

NiteDog #4 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 19:15

Major

• Players
  • 31592 battles

bad_73 #5 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 19:15

Captain

• -Players-
  • 1576 battles
Supporting mods supports cheaters..only reason cheats are in game is mod door that wg leaves open so they can get free development...so you are supporting cheaters if you support mods.

Elevendy #6 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 20:25

Major

• -Players-
  • 23102 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
Most top end players don't use mods. Mods are more of 2013-2015 craze. If anything, try Aslain's mod pack and just change whatever you feel like. Otherwise, this game is purely a knowledge game of reading team compositions, and knowing map locations.

ArmorStorm #7 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 20:39

Major

• Players
  • 40300 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
As soon as WG did away with simple equipment I went completely vanilla.  All I needed was the auto equipment mod, and now not even that. 

ArmorStorm #8 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 40300 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
Also, easy on those reskins, if it doesn’t conform to the hit box you won’t know for sure when you are hidden or think you have your tank completely behind cover when it’s not. 

scoh671 #9 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 21:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 15656 battles
  • [HIME] HIME
I play vanilla, when WG added most of the useful mods in-game I forgot about them

GWyatt #10 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 21:46

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5898 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

Several of the CCs I watch don't use mods for the most part. While working on MOEs one did add the MOE mod but has since gone back to vanilla as it is too much hassle to have to download/update mods with each WOT patch.

I myself use a mod from Aslain's that increases the size of the packet indicator as the game version is too small and hard for me to see. I also use the replay's manager as it makes looking a recent battles so much easier. I find the Free camera in replay's mod handy when I'm trying to figure out what happened.

I used equipment switcher in the past but now it is no longer needed. I also used the don't shoot ally's mod but have since learned to watch my shots better (and team damage went away.)

_Islander_ #11 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 21:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28879 battles
  • [FUZN] FUZN
Any decent mod is usually cosmetic. I use garage mods for organization from aslains. And a couple of sound mods. Who doesn't like to hear Skills voice yell "traaaaaack". But that is about it. Everything else is vanilla. Everything else that was good has been added by WG. IF you do use some, only use ones from the modhub on WG site. Nothing on there will give you an advantage and make you better. If you want to be better, watch some livestreams and/or YouTube videos of really good players. There are some good NA players to watch, and some great EU and RU players to watch.

grego34 #12 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 22:02

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 33573 battles
color coding the tanks icons is not cheating or using different icons or gun cross hairs.    Now having a mini map in the corner showing tanks is another story.. But that has always been there, so is that a cheat??  i do use Aslain and its a good mod.. I have different sounds for reload.  Fury is good.

Edited by grego34, Sep 24 2020 - 22:03.

Cougarraid #13 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 22:19

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12584 battles
  • [_TVS2] _TVS2

I like Aslain's mod. It lets me maintain a vanilla look while adding some helpful features, like who on the enemy team has been spotted, overall hp of each team, a timer from when 6th sense goes off, and each tanks hp last time I saw them. I use XVM, but honestly am starting to wonder if it's helpful or hurtful. 

Bottom line: I wouldn't bother with mods unless you specifically know the features you want and why you want them. The game itself already has all the mini map and tank indicators you need to be useful. Mods can be helpful, but they shouldn't ever actually distract from the game. 

PipeMajor #14 Posted Sep 24 2020 - 23:23

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 25315 battles
  • [CELT] CELT
I like mods and I use Aslain's.  It doesn't hurt to try some of them out.  Maybe they will be a help, maybe they won't. When WarGaming updates the game (which seems like about every other week anymore.. quit it WarGaming!) what ever mods you have installed will disappear, so I find it helpful to write down which ones I have installed.  GLHF

C257_Tanks #15 Posted Sep 25 2020 - 01:54

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2610 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View PostPipeMajor, on Sep 24 2020 - 16:23, said:

I like mods and I use Aslain's.  It doesn't hurt to try some of them out.  Maybe they will be a help, maybe they won't. When WarGaming updates the game (which seems like about every other week anymore.. quit it WarGaming!) what ever mods you have installed will disappear, so I find it helpful to write down which ones I have installed.  GLHF

Thanks PipeMajor!  I loaded Aslain bur there are so many options.  What are some of them you like best?

Thanks everybody. Very useful information from all.

ff8ff8 #16 Posted Sep 25 2020 - 06:50

Captain

• Players
  • 18654 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
Vet players and higher skilled players are going to tell you to run vanilla.
If you get to the point of 3-marking tanks there is a MOE mod that will tell you the target damage to get to 95%, but you don't need to worry about that.

The mods that were actually useful (the spotting/VR circles on minimap, multi-tier garage carousel) were already implemented into the game.

icancook #17 Posted Sep 26 2020 - 16:02

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 975 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ
Whenever I hear bragging about playing vanilla, it's like the joke about how you know someone is a vegan.

There's a useful mod to disable camo, paint, skins, clan emblems, labels, etc. 

dunniteowl #18 Posted Sep 26 2020 - 17:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 31856 battles

View PostC257_Tanks, on Sep 24 2020 - 12:02, said:

Soooooooooooooo seeking advice from the veteran players on Mods.

So yeah, which mods are recommenced by the pro WOT players?

From what I've heard one should only download them from  https://wgmods.net  and that's the easy part.

The first one I tried was just for aesthetics, the mod that makes the French AMX 40 look like a spaceship, and it's really cool, but my understanding is that only other players that have that mod installed can see the modded spaceship.

But what mods are recommended for actually assisting the player, making the player better and/or making WOT easier but still fun?

You know, I haven't used a single mod to date.  I'm not against them, mind you, though some of the information that some mods (principally XVM stats displays in game) provide DO violate the original concept of the Fair Play Policy.  It has been reworded over time, but when I first read it, there was included some wording to the effect that the Fair Play Policy was founded on the idea that mods are not supposed to provide an in-game advantage that could not be gleaned from just playing.

This meant aim-bots that lead targets, bot programs that drive your tank or operate functions automatically that should be pressed or keyed and INFORMATION that could not otherwise be garnered during the match.  I'm thinking player stats being displayed during a match qualifies as violating that concept.

However...  that toothpaste left the tube from day one of mods being used, so it's really a moot issue at this time.  Just something to note about the level of 'compromise' that sometimes must be made to get other things that are worthwhile.

There are a LOT of things that mods can do for players that are 'quality of experience' level details and purely cosmetic or organizational changes that do NOT have an in-game impact.  This includes garage management, crew management, equipment management (not sure how useful that will be since Equipment 2.0, being as even camo nets, toolboxes and binocs have a demount cost to them) as well as skin and tank enhancements (adding crates, links, bogeys, machine guns, etc to the exterior of the tank) that ONLY change that and ONLY you and others using the same mod can see.

Honestly, if I was more into this game and played it even more than I did before (waiting to get another computer) and was willing to (and could) spend cash on it, I'd get a mod that would allow me to make my tanks Neon Green with a Day-Glo Yellow Flame Job, I'd do that, just for my own amusement.  It would have zero game impact in terms of advantage or disadvantage to having it, so what the heck.

As I said, I have played 100% 'vanilla' client and I am not thinking I need any enhancements to the game.  There's plenty there as it is and the QoL additions are not that attractive to me.  I've been playing the game Civilization since BEFORE it was a PC DOS Game.  Micromanagement?  Pish, no biggie.

I'm happy without the mods, but then I occasionally still snap in a disc and play a little Panzer General or Pool of Radiance in my DOSBOX emulator and those games are OLD.  The appeal is less the visuals (which are great and assist the engagement process during play) and more the actual tactics, actions and psychology of play that are what draw me in.  I don't need more than that.  It's like playing 'army men' only now I don't have to move them all by myself.  They move themselves and I get to focus on playing, not the rules.

Mods?  I say, if you are at all interested, then you should explore as much as you are content to do so and then use what makes the game more fun or engaging to you.  That's the idea, isn't it?  To have more fun if you can?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

C257_Tanks #19 Posted Sep 29 2020 - 00:29

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2610 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View Postdunniteowl, on Sep 26 2020 - 10:34, said:

You know, I haven't used a single mod to date.  I'm not against them, mind you, though some of the information that some mods (principally XVM stats displays in game) provide DO violate the original concept of the Fair Play Policy.  It has been reworded over time, but when I first read it, there was included some wording to the effect that the Fair Play Policy was founded on the idea that mods are not supposed to provide an in-game advantage that could not be gleaned from just playing.

This meant aim-bots that lead targets, bot programs that drive your tank or operate functions automatically that should be pressed or keyed and INFORMATION that could not otherwise be garnered during the match.  I'm thinking player stats being displayed during a match qualifies as violating that concept.

However...  that toothpaste left the tube from day one of mods being used, so it's really a moot issue at this time.  Just something to note about the level of 'compromise' that sometimes must be made to get other things that are worthwhile.

There are a LOT of things that mods can do for players that are 'quality of experience' level details and purely cosmetic or organizational changes that do NOT have an in-game impact.  This includes garage management, crew management, equipment management (not sure how useful that will be since Equipment 2.0, being as even camo nets, toolboxes and binocs have a demount cost to them) as well as skin and tank enhancements (adding crates, links, bogeys, machine guns, etc to the exterior of the tank) that ONLY change that and ONLY you and others using the same mod can see.

Honestly, if I was more into this game and played it even more than I did before (waiting to get another computer) and was willing to (and could) spend cash on it, I'd get a mod that would allow me to make my tanks Neon Green with a Day-Glo Yellow Flame Job, I'd do that, just for my own amusement.  It would have zero game impact in terms of advantage or disadvantage to having it, so what the heck.

As I said, I have played 100% 'vanilla' client and I am not thinking I need any enhancements to the game.  There's plenty there as it is and the QoL additions are not that attractive to me.  I've been playing the game Civilization since BEFORE it was a PC DOS Game.  Micromanagement?  Pish, no biggie.

I'm happy without the mods, but then I occasionally still snap in a disc and play a little Panzer General or Pool of Radiance in my DOSBOX emulator and those games are OLD.  The appeal is less the visuals (which are great and assist the engagement process during play) and more the actual tactics, actions and psychology of play that are what draw me in.  I don't need more than that.  It's like playing 'army men' only now I don't have to move them all by myself.  They move themselves and I get to focus on playing, not the rules.

Mods?  I say, if you are at all interested, then you should explore as much as you are content to do so and then use what makes the game more fun or engaging to you.  That's the idea, isn't it?  To have more fun if you can?

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Great points. 

I've been experimenting with the Aslain mod set ever since I posted this question. I started with trying a lot the mods found in Aslain and willed them down where now I only use a scant few of them, ones that I would either make the game's display more fun (IMHO) or seem to improve my playing "ever so slightly".  It is absolutely correct that legal mods (as defined by WOT) don't provide any substantial improvement in playing.  The "ever so slightly" are the few mods that changed the display in a way that I (again IMHO) can read information and analyze it faster.   I think I'll make a separate post about things I found useful and things I found to be total garbage.

Not that my opinion matters but I've never let that stop me before. :)

dunniteowl #20 Posted Sep 29 2020 - 22:35

Major

• -Players-
  • 31856 battles

You know, OP, I think your opinion does matter.

Reason:  You ask questions, get information and then test things.  So far you seem a pretty reasonable and observant person.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on "How Is It Different" between not using mods and using mods from a relatively new player.  I'd look forward to such a 'review.'

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users