Ping issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Fenhold #1 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 08:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6844 battles
  • [CBRO2] CBRO2

I downloaded the game last night on my new pc, and played several games tonight. After 6 or so games the lag became unplayable. I saw that it shows FPS and ping up in the top left. FPS was bouncing around 235 and ping was 215 to 240. Trying to move around was impossible. When I attempted to move, the engine sounds and exhaust smoke reacted, but I would either sit still, or rotate uncontrollably. Nobody else seemed affected. I had reduced some of the graphics effects because I was getting motion sick, and don’t need to run anything close to maxed settings. I looked around to familiarize myself with the menus, and saw I was on the South American server. When I went to select the server, it showed the South American server ping at 214 and the North American at 240. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting with no improvement.  Is there something I could have changed to make it run so poorly, or is there anything I should try?

If it matters:
The processor is an I5- 9400

16GB of ram 
Graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

The initial games were on WiFi, but after a couple high ping games I switched to a wired connection.

Thank you for your time.

Projectile_Misfired #2 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 12:00

Major

• Players
  • 39475 battles

You could try resetting your modem and router.

Pipinghot #3 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 12:56

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostFenhold, on Oct 02 2020 - 02:13, said:

I downloaded the game last night on my new pc, and played several games tonight. After 6 or so games the lag became unplayable. I saw that it shows FPS and ping up in the top left. FPS was bouncing around 235 and ping was 215 to 240. Trying to move around was impossible. When I attempted to move, the engine sounds and exhaust smoke reacted, but I would either sit still, or rotate uncontrollably. Nobody else seemed affected. I had reduced some of the graphics effects because I was getting motion sick, and don’t need to run anything close to maxed settings. I looked around to familiarize myself with the menus, and saw I was on the South American server. When I went to select the server, it showed the South American server ping at 214 and the North American at 240. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting with no improvement.  Is there something I could have changed to make it run so poorly, or is there anything I should try?

If it matters:
The processor is an I5- 9400

16GB of ram 
Graphics card is an Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

The initial games were on WiFi, but after a couple high ping games I switched to a wired connection.

Thank you for your time.

I'm going to assume that since it's a new PC you're on Windows 10.

Have you double-checked that every last driver is up to date by checking them one-at-a-time using the "Device Manager" ?

Win10 seems to have a lot of problems updating everything when it's supposed to. Every time I install on a new PC I have to go through that list, manually, one-at-a-time and I almost always find 1-3 drivers that are not the most up to date. Even on my existing PC's, whenever they put out a major update, there is almost always one driver on that screen that isn't updated even through Windows reports that it's 100% current.

genegx #4 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 13:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6513 battles
  • [CBKS] CBKS

Do a traceroute  in the command window to see where the bottleneck is. Not likely that a driver would cause this. I also occasionally use an HP laptop and recall having internet slowdown problems with it and found that it had a setting (can’t remember where I found it) that would throttle your connection. Most likely an ISP issue, or other devices on your home network eating bandwidth.

Fenhold #5 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 15:21

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6844 battles
  • [CBRO2] CBRO2

I fired it up this morning really quick to see what it would do, and it connected to the NA server with a ping of 74. When I get home from work I’ll check for updates just to be sure. It seems odd that it would run ok initially, then crap out due to a driver, but that seems to be how technology rolls nowadays.

View Postgenegx, on Oct 02 2020 - 12:44, said:

Do a traceroute  in the command window to see where the bottleneck is. Not likely that a driver would cause this. I also occasionally use an HP laptop and recall having internet slowdown problems with it and found that it had a setting (can’t remember where I found it) that would throttle your connection. Most likely an ISP issue, or other devices on your home network eating bandwidth.

I’ll search for how to do a traceroute tonight. This is my first PC in 15 years, so I need to familiarize myself with these things. I assume I should do the traceroute with WoT running in the background?

Thank you all for your input and assistance.

Fenhold #6 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 22:18

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6844 battles
  • [CBRO2] CBRO2

I had a few minutes, so I made an attempt using the IP address I found for the NA server.

Does this mean anything to anyone??

Attached Files

• Attached File   91471419-A68B-4702-90AB-3052DD4CCBC1.jpeg   25.4K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users