chat allchat communication teammates community suggestion chat-ban carry

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Stamson #1 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 18:40

Captain

• Players
  • 14226 battles
  • [PZB] PZB

WG is now planning on turning off chat for dead teammates. 

If this goes through it will be such a bad change it's insane. When I'm trying to clutch 1v4 at the end of the game, I am often asking teammates for last know positions of enemy tanks such as arty. The ability to do well in these endgame scenarios is very dependent on talking with my teammates.

Also this change, the ridiculous chat-ban system, and the turning off of all-chat are all features that kill any sense of community in random battles. We might as well be playing with bots.

Cougarraid #2 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 18:48

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12771 battles
  • [_TVS2] _TVS2

View PostStamson, on Oct 02 2020 - 18:40, said:

If this goes through it will be such a bad change it's insane. When I'm trying to clutch 1v4 at the end of the game, I am often asking teammates for last know positions of enemy tanks such as arty. The ability to do well in these endgame scenarios is very dependent on talking with my teammates.

Also this change, the ridiculous chat-ban system, and the turning off of all-chat are all features that kill any sense of community in random battles. We might as well be playing with bots.

Can I get an amen!

Hard agree. 

All they've done with in battle comms since the update is made it harder to actually communicate

Kramah313 #3 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 18:52

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 8512 battles
  • [GNZX1] GNZX1

Agree, if it’s really about salty dead players I always just report/ignore/blacklist them depending on how bad they are. And I haven’t seen a ton of those since the chat ban increases anyways. 

On the other hand, the info you can get from a helpful dead player is useful. Plus, I have been in late game situations with people cheering me on as well (and have done the cheering). I think we can get to a point where we’re so worried about removing the bad things that we miss out on a lot of the good too. 

Christojojo #4 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 18:52

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 39171 battles
  • [CHEAP] CHEAP
They have made it a lot harder to find people to platoon with. This does not build a strong community,. but slowly strangles it.

anonym_xotfPa5GbcgJ #5 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 18:54

Major

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
In the rare instance that a dead guy actually adds to the value of the match is so rare its not worth having the emo idiots spamming chat with their assessment of everyone else's play that "caused" their death. Listening to go back to tier II, play Candy Crush, complaining about MM and WG or simply insulting others cluttering up chat an distracting or over riding actual live player communication its anything but a bad decision. It should of been done years ago. If anyone thinks over the years they have improved anyone's play with their "helpful" comments get a clue you have not.

Scorpiany #6 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 18:57

Major

• Game Knowledge Expert
  • 40675 battles
  • [N1NJA] N1NJA

As I've said previously, they should make "Battle chat for destroyed vehicles" an option in the settings. That way people who don't want it, can disable it without disabling chat entirely, and the people who do still want to communicate with their dead teammates (or with their team when they're dead), still can.

I had a Fisherman's Bay carry earlier in the week where I had 7 different teammates actively talking in the chat, 5 of whom were dead, the other 2 who had died later in the battle. Seeing their commentary and all of the gg messages afterwards made any negative comments I had seen in chat during that entire day completely worthwhile. There's something special about having that kind of battle communication.

And while I understand that something like All Chat had the potential for people to give away allied locations, etc., there is very little trolling people can do when they're dead on your own team. Minimap spam has been effectively stopped with the last update already, we already have the ability to block people just for that battle if they're being too toxic, and worst case scenario you can still blacklist people. There's no reason to completely disable chat for dead players.

Make it an option, so we can decide ourselves whether or not we want it.

View PostAllieOop2, on Oct 02 2020 - 11:54, said:

In the rare instance that a dead guy actually adds to the value of the match is so rare its not worth having the emo idiots spamming chat with their assessment of everyone else's play that "caused" their death. Listening to go back to tier II, play Candy Crush, complaining about MM and WG or simply insulting others cluttering up chat an distracting or over riding actual live player communication its anything but a bad decision. It should of been done years ago. If anyone thinks over the years they have improved anyone's play with their "helpful" comments get a clue you have not.

I understand as a whole it can be rare, but for players like myself who like to stick around and watch battles, to see if I can potentially help someone on the team win the battle, this would be a huge blow. There are many situations I've been able to help guide someone to having a better battle - Sometimes to a win, at the very least to give them a better chance.

The opposite also applies though. If I'm in a carry situation, I will ask my team about HP of remaining targets if I hadn't seen it, where a certain tank may have last shot from, etc. It's a team battle, and dead players can still contribute in some capacity. Even in a game like Among Us, ghosts still have the ability to complete their tasks. The World of Tanks equivalent is providing those additional pieces of information that can be helpful at least on occasion.

Even if people are arguing, calling their team idiots, etc., I can usually point out why someone is in no position to blame their team. If someone puts themselves in a bad position, overextended, or didn't realize their team would have been in a crossfire if they moved up, but they're blaming their team for their death, I can tell them why they are fundamentally wrong to blame their team. Sure, I'm probably not going to change most people's minds, but for the few people who do listen or will accept responsibility, it's completely worth it.

When I was still learning Tier 10, I had a bad habit of misunderstanding why people played the way that they did, and it was players better than me calling me out for being wrong, that would make me realize that I needed to spend the time relearning the way battles progress on certain maps. Sometimes being called out when you're wrong is necessary, because otherwise it can be easy to believe you're better at the game than you actually are - Afterall, if nobody says otherwise, surely what you're doing is right... Right? Well, obviously not.

When I was learning the game, if I thought I play I made was good, but I got called out for it by a better player, it would be reason to believe that maybe they're right and my play wasn't that good. Better players aren't always correct, but they're usually more knowledgeable, etc. - So it's at the very least good to raise the question to yourself about whether you could have done something differently and at least reassess your gameplay that round.

And look where that got me with my gameplay? I'm a very good player, but I still try to reassess my performance in every battle I play. Did I lose unnecessary HP, could I have prioritized targets better, did I take too long to relocate or relocate to the wrong side of the map? That mindset came from other really good players pointing those very things out years and years ago. It stuck with me, and I still find myself asking myself the same questions and using that kind of post-battle analysis after every round I play to continue to improve, continue to learn, and continue to get better and better. If there was no chat for dead players, would I be as good of a player as I am now, or have that kind of mindset? Maybe, but I probably would have taken a lot longer to get there at the very least. It's important to have feedback, and important to have criticism available.

Edited by Scorpiany, Oct 02 2020 - 19:14.

StoolSamples #7 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 19:10

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 296 battles
YEAH!!!! get rid of the dead players spamming chat with a constant barrage of bs. great addition that should have happened years ago. maybe wg can create a special chat just for the dead players to cry to each other

Edited by StoolSamples, Oct 02 2020 - 19:10.

Siergen #8 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 19:23

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 14112 battles
  • [H_FUN] H_FUN
I would have preferred that they start with just limiting how often a dead player could chat/ping.  It can be very helpful for someone to indicate where they think the enemy who killed them is based on the shot direction indicator.  That only requires a small number of messages/pings.  What causes issues is when dead team-members spam a large number of messages/pings.  A total ban is not needed, but throttling back "voices from the grave" could be an improvement.  After all, how quickly can you communicate via a Ouija Board?  ;)

Elite_Camper #9 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 19:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12867 battles
The pros of disabling it outweigh the cons.

Sam_de_Man #10 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 19:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4693 battles
  • [NAPLM] NAPLM

View PostCougarraid, on Oct 02 2020 - 18:48, said:

Can I get an amen!

Amen, brother, amen!

anonym_xotfPa5GbcgJ #11 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 19:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostScorpiany, on Oct 02 2020 - 18:57, said:

As I've said previously, they should make "Battle chat for destroyed vehicles" an option in the settings. That way people who don't want it, can disable it without disabling chat entirely, and the people who do still want to communicate with their dead teammates (or with their team when they're dead), still can.

I had a Fisherman's Bay carry earlier in the week where I had 7 different teammates actively talking in the chat, 5 of whom were dead, the other 2 who had died later in the battle. Seeing their commentary and all of the gg messages afterwards made any negative comments I had seen in chat during that entire day completely worthwhile. There's something special about having that kind of battle communication.

And while I understand that something like All Chat had the potential for people to give away allied locations, etc., there is very little trolling people can do when they're dead on your own team. Minimap spam has been effectively stopped with the last update already, we already have the ability to block people just for that battle if they're being too toxic, and worst case scenario you can still blacklist people. There's no reason to completely disable chat for dead players.

I understand as a whole it can be rare, but for players like myself who like to stick around and watch battles, to see if I can potentially help someone on the team win the battle, this would be a huge blow. There are many situations I've been able to help guide someone to having a better battle - Sometimes to a win, at the very least to give them a better chance.

The opposite also applies though. If I'm in a carry situation, I will ask my team about HP of remaining targets if I hadn't seen it, where a certain tank may have last shot from, etc. It's a team battle, and dead players can still contribute in some capacity. Even in a game like Among Us, ghosts still have the ability to complete their tasks. The World of Tanks equivalent is providing those additional pieces of information that can be helpful at least on occasion.

Even if people are arguing, calling their team idiots, etc., I can usually point out why someone is in no position to blame their team. If someone puts themselves in a bad position, overextended, or didn't realize their team would have been in a crossfire if they moved up, but they're blaming their team for their death, I can tell them why they are fundamentally wrong to blame their team. Sure, I'm probably not going to change most people's minds, but for the few people who do listen or will accept responsibility, it's completely worth it.

When I was still learning Tier 10, I had a bad habit of misunderstanding why people played the way that they did, and it was players better than me calling me out for being wrong, that would make me realize that I needed to spend the time relearning the way battles progress on certain maps. Sometimes being called out when you're wrong is necessary, because otherwise it can be easy to believe you're better at the game than you actually are - Afterall, if nobody says otherwise, surely what you're doing is right... Right? Well, obviously not.

When I was learning the game, if I thought I play I made was good, but I got called out for it by a better player, it would be reason to believe that maybe they're right and my play wasn't that good. Better players aren't always correct, but they're usually more knowledgeable, etc. - So it's at the very least good to raise the question to yourself about whether you could have done something differently and at least reassess your gameplay that round.

And look where that got me with my gameplay? I'm a very good player, but I still try to reassess my performance in every battle I play. Did I lose unnecessary HP, could I have prioritized targets better, did I take too long to relocate or relocate to the wrong side of the map? That mindset came from other really good players pointing those very things out years and years ago. It stuck with me, and I still find myself asking myself the same questions and using that kind of post-battle analysis after every round I play to continue to improve, continue to learn, and continue to get better and better. If there was no chat for dead players, would I be as good of a player as I am now, or have that kind of mindset? Maybe, but I probably would have taken a lot longer to get there at the very least. It's important to have feedback, and important to have criticism available.

An example of a player who wanted to get better and that is a rare thing on EU or NA now. I don't unfortunately agree that the majority of after death conversation are in anyway constructive. Unfortunately again what happens to chat is a result of the people who simply cant control themselves.

cavalry11 #12 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 19:57

Captain

• Players
  • 57586 battles
  • [APG] APG
How can dead players talk?

Sam_de_Man #13 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 20:01

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4693 battles
  • [NAPLM] NAPLM

View PostScorpiany, on Oct 02 2020 - 18:57, said:

View PostAllieOop2, on Oct 02 2020 - 18:54, said:

Very well put sir. Having someone in chat to guide me after they died has enabled me to win a few games that otherwise would've been lost.

Sam_de_Man #14 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 20:03

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4693 battles
  • [NAPLM] NAPLM

View Postcavalry11, on Oct 02 2020 - 19:57, said:

How can dead players talk?

They can if someone is using a medium! :teethhappy:

Collapsed_Eigenfunction #15 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 20:27

Major

• Players
  • 29562 battles
  • [CLAIM] CLAIM
Just make it optional 

DrWho_ #16 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 20:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 37249 battles
  • [B-S-B] B-S-B

View PostSam_de_Man, on Oct 02 2020 - 20:01, said:

Very well put sir. Having someone in chat to guide me after they died has enabled me to win a few games that otherwise would've been lost.

As someone who tends to get overly focused at what's going on right in front of me I appreciate players pinging the map in a meaningful way to get my attention to something important

As usual WG is overreacting, the map pining is only annoying when it's done in a childish "I need attention" manner and could easily be solved by limiting how *often* you can ping. A limitation that is already there, or at least was before this silly comms "upgrade" where you could only request fire to a target so often

DrWho_ #17 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 20:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 37249 battles
  • [B-S-B] B-S-B

View PostSam_de_Man, on Oct 02 2020 - 20:03, said:

They can if someone is using a medium! :teethhappy:

Clever, I like it

RHeadshot #18 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 20:58

Major

• -Players-
  • 12428 battles

View PostStamson, on Oct 02 2020 - 18:40, said:

Except the geniuses at WG don't actually allow ANYONE to turn off all chat features.  The geniuses at WG still make me watch almost every single team spam useless information from the "wheel" chat that I can't stop without muting every single player.  Good for you that you believe the b.s. that is chat creates some sense of community in random battles.  Frankly, I suspect you have ulterior motives.  It is rather silly, however, that WG doesn't just give each player the option as to what to turn off.

Sam_de_Man #19 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 21:14

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4693 battles
  • [NAPLM] NAPLM

View PostDrWho_, on Oct 02 2020 - 14:32, said:

Clever, I like it

TY!

View PostRHeadshot, on Oct 02 2020 - 14:58, said:

Except the geniuses at WG don't actually allow ANYONE to turn off all chat features.  The geniuses at WG still make me watch almost every single team spam useless information from the "wheel" chat that I can't stop without muting every single player.  Good for you that you believe the b.s. that is chat creates some sense of community in random battles.  Frankly, I suspect you have ulterior motives.  It is rather silly, however, that WG doesn't just give each player the option as to what to turn off.

You are too generous, sir.

That being said, there really should be an option to turn off all chat, and perhaps there is, but I'm not aware of it. I personally find it to be of benefit to view during battle.

Stamson #20 Posted Oct 02 2020 - 21:41

Captain

• Players
  • 14226 battles
  • [PZB] PZB

View PostStoolSamples, on Oct 02 2020 - 19:10, said:

YEAH!!!! get rid of the dead players spamming chat with a constant barrage of bs. great addition that should have happened years ago. maybe wg can create a special chat just for the dead players to cry to each other

Yes, the reroll player who spams M44. Of course you think teammates are useless. You're basically playing cookie clicker. I wonder if you even have a keyboard :teethhappy: Maybe this is why you don't like chat.

For people who like playing online games, communication is important. 

Also tagged with chat, allchat, communication, teammates, community, suggestion, chat-ban, carry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users