Rocketman’s Guide to Completing the Object 279 Missions While Minimizing WoT Rage

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Draschel #21 Posted Mar 22 2021 - 03:43

Captain

• Players
  • 2074 battles

View Postn4cer67, on Mar 22 2021 - 00:01, said:

Do you have a guide for the Excalibur campaign? I'm stuck on Union-12 Untouchable. Impossible to complete with all the gold spamming but WG NA claims gold spamming isn't any problem for the mission.

Does WG NA also claim up-armoured heavy tanks and tank destroyers, as well as patches that increase their armour further,  not a problem too?

n4cer67 #22 Posted Mar 22 2021 - 05:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 20280 battles
  • [NAAP] NAAP

View PostDraschel, on Mar 21 2021 - 20:43, said:

Does WG NA also claim up-armoured heavy tanks and tank destroyers, as well as patches that increase their armour further,  not a problem too?

Don't know and don't really care. I was talking about gold ammo making a mission impossible to do.

MorbidHarvest #23 Posted Mar 23 2021 - 20:49

Private

• Players
  • 8997 battles
  • [UDEAD] UDEAD
Thanks for posting this, very informative. Unfortunately, I just realized I am never going to be good enough to get any of them lol. I cant even finish the stug missions in 9 years.

JollyBodkin #24 Posted Mar 23 2021 - 22:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 21476 battles
  • [AC] AC

View Postn4cer67, on Mar 21 2021 - 17:01, said:

Do you have a guide for the Excalibur campaign? I'm stuck on Union-12 Untouchable. Impossible to complete with all the gold spamming but WG NA claims gold spamming isn't any problem for the mission.

Any of the Russian heavies, or the Obj 263 or SU-100M1 would do the trick.

Draschel #25 Posted Mar 24 2021 - 01:16

Captain

• Players
  • 2074 battles

View Postn4cer67, on Mar 22 2021 - 05:33, said:

Don't know and don't really care. I was talking about gold ammo making a mission impossible to do.

Isn't that the largest form of ignorance possible? Your problem, it's explanation, but ignoring it because it doesn't suit your fancy.

Nice.

By the way, impossible for you, does not mean impossible. 

Pony_Plop #26 Posted Apr 15 2021 - 12:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 18791 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

View Postn4cer67, on Mar 22 2021 - 07:01, said:

Block 2x your HP in a Russian or Chinese heavy? No problem really, just pick a medium/heavy, learn which angles you can bounce at (side-scrape/reverse side-scrape, stick front out at an angle, go hulldown, use terrain etc), wait til you get top tier MM, and then pick a spot to absorb shots from a distance without returning fire (except to light yourself for the enemy.)

(My personal choices are 112 Chinese heavy at tier 8, IS-3a, 703 II, IS-2-II... Could also use tier X but that means more HP and therefore more blocking, plus higher rate of goldspam and the chance of running into some monstrous caliber guns/HE rounds in tier X)

Edited by Pony_Plop, Apr 15 2021 - 12:10.

Ghost_of_Charles_Bronson #27 Posted May 02 2021 - 13:54

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 36641 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

View Postn4cer67, on Mar 21 2021 - 23:01, said:

You realize that you can use lower tier tanks for this mission, right? There is a soviet tank destroyer at tier... 7? Su100M1 that has an almost indestructible upper hull. Just go hull down (hide your entire lower hull) in front of a bunch of tanks of any tier and start shooting them. They'll shoot back and you'll complete the mission in like 10 seconds. The su100m1 has almost no HP so this is really the easiest mission of all time.

Ghost_of_Charles_Bronson #28 Posted May 03 2021 - 18:22

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 36641 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS
consolidated to post below

Edited by Ghost_of_Charles_Bronson, Jun 02 2021 - 07:10.

_Red_Saaryn_ #29 Posted May 09 2021 - 05:45

Major

• Players
  • 34463 battles
  • [CLIFF] CLIFF
Tldr: don't try it if you want to have fun

latvius #30 Posted May 11 2021 - 20:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 49236 battles
  • [VIDRA] VIDRA

Thanks for the guide it helped me get the 279e, it's stupid op when top tier but that's part of the game.  It really helped knowing which mission's to skip and what tanks to use.

I used the Ferdinand for the final Bloc mission, tried the Hwk12 but spotting wasn't getting me enough XP and I can't shoot for sh in that tank.

_BobaFett #31 Posted May 11 2021 - 20:43

Captain

• Players
  • 303 battles
  • [BOBA_] BOBA_

View Postlatvius, on May 11 2021 - 14:37, said:

Thanks for the guide it helped me get the 279e, it's stupid op when top tier but that's part of the game.  It really helped knowing which mission's to skip and what tanks to use.

I used the Ferdinand for the final Bloc mission, tried the Hwk12 but spotting wasn't getting me enough XP and I can't shoot for sh in that tank.

Congrats on getting it.

Ghost_of_Charles_Bronson #32 Posted May 13 2021 - 17:55

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 36641 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

Thanks to rocketman, your guide was my bible for doing these missions, but I made some interesting discoveries completing the SKIP missions.

Ciff notes version: 

• Did Excalibur and 3/4 of Chimera with Honors. 
  • Using those 7 orders, I skipped two branches plus Union-13. 
  • I did Alliance because you can skip half the missions with FV3805. All these missions are doable. Alliance 3 is easily the hardest. The others are all easy if you are decently skilled and use the right tank with the right loadout. 
  • I did Union because I had a bunch of good RU tanks unlocked already and the missions are mostly easy. Plan to skip Union-13. I did all the IS3A stuff in a 10 day rental but ended up buying it at the end because I liked it so much. 

Alliance update:

alliance-1 don't remember, this one was easy, probably a tier 8 prem
alliance-2 don't remember I think TS-5
alliance-3 LHMTV w/bond optics, cvs, exhaust, optics directive, food, took multiple tries w/ multiple tanks before I used LHMTV, then multiple tries with LHMTV. This mission is very rage inducing because you can spot huge amounts of damage but not get kill spot credit. Getting spot/track kill credit is a very particular skill that is not the same as getting spotting damage- a tank with 100 hp left is not a spot kill, they have to die rather than sneaking off to hide in a bush. I think this mission is doable with any small light tank with good camo and good view range... which means the Brit lights and probably the T92 but tanks like the tech tree US lights are useless due to their poor camo values and large size which makes bush use very hard. You generally need to go very far forward to ensure enemies you spot are outside your teammates view ranges. Enemy lights are a great source of spot kills for this mission (they usually die very fast instead of limping off and going into hiding with 3 hp left) so always consider opportunities for spotting lights moving into good bushes (ie, park in a bush a bit farther back and let him move through the open into your view range instead of you both spotting each other moving into position). Removing enemy lights also lets be way more aggressive in spotting everyone else.

alliance-4 T57 heavy shooting 90 percent gold. This was very rage inducting until went full bond equipment/food/gold in the T57 (bond vstab, bounty aiming, turbo actually) at which point the mission practically did itself. Played 11 games, resetting once, finished without honors in about 8 games, missed honors by a tiny amount due to a bad game at the end.
alliance-5,6,9,10,11,14  FV3805 with small gun, super easy, honors every time
alliance-7 T110E3 w/ rammer/IRM/turbo. Yet another partially luck based mission. I found that sidescraping in the E3 works wonders for baiting bounces. But you just can't control when everyone will decide to spam HE at you.
alliance-8 Conway firing HESH, don't bother trying with FV4005 it's crap- once I unlocked the HESH gun, I literally did this on the first attempt with games left over. HESH Conway is a monster at dealing crits. 10 a game is not out of the question. This is probably doable in charioteer, but the conway does more module damage and seems to rack up crits much faster. Don't use the FV4005, conway is faster, smaller and has much better gun handling. 
alliance-12 ended up doing this this in TS-5- All blocking missions are rage inducing. I got the mission in 3 battles. This mission is very dependent on your opponents behavior and MM/map/etc so you can either get the mission on the first try or struggle for ages.
alliance-13 chimera, took multiple tries and firing gold until I got three in a row
alliance-15 I tried M41 bulldog (hated it), Caernavon (did great), T28 Prot (did even better and finished mission). Keep in mind that spotting your own damage is worth double. Also, shooting higher tiers is worth extra so you definitely want to do this in a tier 8 with a reliable gun and fire tons of gold. T28 Prot is a gem here because it has low ace wanker expected (1200 xp) and if played well it is insanely strong even as bottom tier.

Union update:

union-1 Got this in the T100LT on the first try after attempting it in the LT-432 and realizing tier 8 matches don't have enough HP to feed the required spot damage. Tier 10 games worked better. Standard scout loadout, exhaust, cvs, bond/bounty optics, food.
union-2 Arta
union-3 Don't remember doing this mission, went by super fast. 
union-4 Tried to do this with the KV-4 forever and it was just too painful because of the complete lack of tier 6 MM. In the end I did it in the IS-4. Just park in front of a fast firing tier 8, preferably multiple fast firing tier 8s. 
union-5 IS3A rental for the win.  Just stay alive and put clips into people. 
union-6 IS3A made this ridiculously easy. Double gun tanks would work for this mission as well. 
union-7 ISU-152 is optimum for this mission. It has the best HE pen (90, no HE gun is higher in USSR tree) and the best MM (tier 8) of all the available vehicles. Because of how random crits are, I had to reset this mission a million times before I got it. 
union-8 ISU-152, it has like 1000 health and 750 alpha, this was super easy. 
union-9 IS3A rental, this tank is amazing at farming kills. 
union-10 IS-4 first try with honors, drive like an idiot, everyone shoots you, many bounces. 
union-11 LT-432 firing tons of gold, got it first try including some amazingly high damage games. LTTB can probably substitute for this (its gold round is much better). You need a rapid fire pew pew gun with decent pen for this mission. 
union-12 LT-432 with honors first try. Compared to Alliance 3, this is an amazingly easy mission. LT-432 is also better at scouting than most US/UK tanks. 
union-13 Skipped! Went back and did Union-15 Chimera for the order. I tried for probably 300+ games with the IS-3A and ISU-152 (both great for this mission and for kill securing in general) but couldn't get top guns closer than 30 games apart. I repeatedly came close but no cigar. After one attempt where I got a Pool's medal in the IS3A followed by several 4-5 kill games... I just gave up on this mission. 
union-14 Arta
union-15 This was super easy, did it playing casually on the first try with random tanks I liked. Maybe I got lucky, who knows. 

So far I have been getting horrible matchmaking and plenty of yoloing and arty focus but I will hopefully get better. Tank is very expensive to run, likes gold a lot. Obj 260 is honestly more fun. 

Edited by Ghost_of_Charles_Bronson, Jun 24 2021 - 21:08.

Aloeus #33 Posted Jun 08 2021 - 06:36

Captain

• Players
  • 30444 battles

Thanks for this, this really helped me strategize how to play these missions and which ones to skip. I now have a tank I never really thought I would get. 

The fv3805 recommendation was clutch, makes a few of those alliance arty mission incredibly easy compared to an m53/55 or t92. 

One thing I would add, for Coalition 4: A Crushing Blow, The standard B has like 90mm of HE pen and enough alpha to damage modules. It took me one reset to do with it. 

I managed to do the Coalition missions without any skips and alliance with only 1 skip (the spotting mission), so I skipped both bloc and union. 

Old_9_Finger_Pete #34 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 14:41

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 43731 battles

Today I finished this campaign. This guide really helped me a lot, so thanks Rocketman wherever  you are. I'd like to add to the thread since some of the vehicles I used are a little different and that may help someone:

I had a total of four orders when I started. I foolishly used a couple during the Chimera campaign because I never thought I'd be able to do the 279(e) missions. That said, I used three and skipped Bloc. I used one to skip Union 13 (Top Gun). I eventually went back and got those two bonds from the Chimera Campaign back as well as picking up another by improving the Chimera Union mission 15. So I ended up with 7.

I found the Coalition missions much harder than I expected. Once I got the three bonds I mentioned above, I skipped the last four missions in this line.

Getting this campaign done is going to cost you gold and silver. Be ready to spend. You need to use food and fire gold. Every. Single. Game.

I finished all the arty and HE-centric missions prior to their nerfing. Therefore, some of this is dated and may not work now.

Union:

1. Invaluable Assistance - LTTB

2. Effective Fire - OBJ 261

3. Not a Step Back - KV5 (9 kills), ISU 130 (2) 112 (2) WZ-120-1G-FT (2)

4. You will not break through! - KV5 in four games

5. Heroic Triple - OBJ 268 v4. I tried in the KV5 and was close a few times.

6. Don't Stop Me Now - KV5, WZ-120-1G FT

7. Is there anyone there? - ISU-130 (1), ISU 152 (2)

8. Lone Wolf - ISU-130, ISU 152

9. Open Season - KV5

10. I am a Rock - KV5 (WH)

11. Shoot 'em to Pieces - T-34-2 w/Tier VI gun

12. Every Possible Assistance - LTTB. I got 8 after 3 games, then it took 4 games to get 2. Very team dependent.

13. Skipped

14. Heavy Rain - OBJ 261

15. The Pride of the Union - I used the ISU 130 and got an Ace on my first game. Then I used KV-5 and finished with two 1st Class. I used this site to help me pick which vehicles to use: https://mastery.poliroid.ru/

You see a lot of KV5 in there. I'm pretty good with that vehicle, and it's also very versatile. Has a decent fire rate for a heavy and is very bouncy when you cover up the poor radio operator pimple.

Alliance:

1. A Sure Shooter - Charioteer

2. Among the Best - Chimera. Not sure why I chose to use this tank for this mission, but it worked out. In retrospect I'd go with Tortoise.

3. Always on Duty - As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, this mission is a real booger. After using all seven of my available bonds, I simply had to get this one done. It was the last mission to do before I could move on to Alliance 15. I tried a lot of different approaches, including using a rapid firing medium to shoot tracks instead of spotting. Ultimately, I followed the advice of Ghost_Of_Charles_Bronson above, and tricked out a LHMTV. Once I did that and learned a little patience, it happened relatively quickly. The winning spots (by game) - 7, 1, 2, 2, 1, 4, 1, 1, 1. So as mentioned by the others, reset until you get a good round. The one addition I would make to his advice would be to make sure you have a commander with Call for Vengeance, and use the crew directive that boosts that skill. That way you get 13 seconds of your target being lit if you're killed. That makes a BIG difference, believe it or not.

4. Just Warming Up - Tortoise Good crew, Rammer, Vents, Improved Hardening, and Rammer directive. It took me several attempts and it can be enraging when you're so close and fail. But your survivability and ridiculous DPM (for me, it was 4,609) will eventually prevail.

5. Stunning Performance - FV3805 (lower tier gun)

6. Reliable Ally - FV3805 (lower tier gun)

7. In Armor We Trust - Tortoise (WH)

8. Simple Geometry - FV4005 in 8 games.

9. Seeing Stars - FV3805 (lower tier gun)

10. Unlocking Potential - FV3805 (lower tier gun) (WH)

11. The Right Place at the Right Time - FV3805 (lower tier gun)

12. Rock-Solid - Tortoise

13. Big Shark - Tortoise. Did I mention Tortoise? It's a workhorse. A backup vehicle is the T28, or even the T26E4 using its preferred MM.

14. Welcome to My Collection - T28 - decent rate of fire and packs a punch.

15. For the Alliance! - T28. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Coalition:

1. Ruthless Hunter - Did not complete. Never really tried it much. Bonded out when I got three bonds to complete the line.

2. The Top Gun - AMX 50B

3. The War Horse - Did not complete. This was tough for me and I was close a couple of times using the ELC Even 90.

4. A Crushing Blow - Progetto 66 (WH). This mission gives a lot of people fits. And it did me for quite a while. Then I found out that the Prog 66 has 120mm of HE pen! Since the nerf, they've lowered the required number of modules or crew to be damaged. Main thing here is, do your best to get behind or on the side of your enemy and shoot the turret! The Prog 66 has decent mobility. When you're top tier, don't be afraid to go where the mediums usually go, and hunt the hapless low-tier players. I was close SO many times, then finally got it done on the 9th of 10 games.

5. I Will Be Your Shield - AMX M4 51 (WH) - Took me seven games to get this done with honors. I tried the Emil II, but I'm not very good in that tank.

6. Stilletto - Skoda T50

7. Nothing Personal - It's Just Business - Progetto 46.

8. My Duty Never Ends - ELC Even 90 (WH). This wasn't an easy mission. I tried several times, then I finally got it in back-to-back games. Took me 9 games to get Honors.

9. Let Their Fate Be a Lesson To You - Lorraine 155 mle 51

10. You Cannot Hide - ELC Even 90 (WH). This vehicle is - imo - the best passive spotter in the game.

11. Lord of Destruction - Did not complete. Tried this mission a few times, but never got much traction.

12. A Little Bit of Everything - ELC Even 90.

13. Just Getting Started! - Lorraine 155 mle 51 (WH)

14. King of the Hill! - Did not complete. Didn't really try this too often.

15. Way to Go! - Did not complete. Purchased with Bonds.

The bottom line is that even people like me, who are really not that good at the game, can get the 279(e) with enough patience, time, and luck. And trust me...there is definitely luck involved in this. After I got the 'easy' missions done, I went weeks, even months, without completing another mission. Then everything fell into place. Over the last 3 weeks I finished five missions, including the recovery of two bonds.

I wish you luck. I'm going to have PTSD on this for a long time to come.

Edited by Old_9_Finger_Pete, Sep 15 2021 - 14:43.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users