Tell us about a military veteran important to you!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Cmdr_AF #1 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 16:38

Private

• WG Staff
  • 604 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hola, tankers!

Veterans Day and Remembrance Day are on November 11th. In the U.S., Americans celebrate Veterans Day by paying tribute to those that have served honorably in the United States Armed Forces. And, on Remembrance Day, those in the Commonwealth remember military veterans that have given their lives in service to their country.

In honor of Veterans Day and Remembrance Day, we here at World of Tanks NA will be producing a compilation video dedicated to military veterans that have served and protected our countries. And we’d love to feature a military veteran in your life.

How to participate:

Grab a camera (webcam, phone came, any cam) and record a short shout-out/ thank you video dedicated to a military veteran important to you. Be sure to tell us why/ what your veteran means to you and include relevant details about their service record like the branch, duration, and deployment(s). Submit your video to wotreplays@wargaming.net by October 30th. Please include your in-game name upon submission. 

Guidelines for the video:

• Keep it short and sweet - 10-15 seconds
  • If recording on your phone, please flip it on its side to record landscape/horizontal video instead of portrait/vertical video.

For those of you feeling a bit camera-shy but still wanting to spread the love, submit a short note dedicated to a military veteran in life. And feel free to include a photo.

Thank you! Happy Tanking!

KRZYBooP #2 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 16:59

Community Coordinator

• -Players-
  • 4793 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

MOAR FREE STUFF?!

Players that submit videos and post on this thread will receive a special trick/treat from me.

(I love the gif so much I had to use it again.)

Thank you everyone for helping out!

Onprobation #3 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 17:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4003 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
My military veterans would be my dad and Grand (WW2) and Greatgrand (WW1 and WW2) Fathers.
He went in the US Army in 1958 and served till 1987.
He did 5 tours in Vietnam, Came home with four Bronze Stars one with the V for valor, and three Purple Harts and many more.
Its because of him and My grand and great grand fathers that I did 26 Years with 5 tours myself.
They all taught me that freedom comes with a price and few are willing to give that.
Thank you for your time and all you do.
N. Holman ( SFC Ret)
in game name Onprobation.

GeorgePreddy #4 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 18:52

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

In remembrance of my uncle (my Mom's brother), John Edwin Bondurant:

U.S. Army Infantry, WWII.

He never spoke about the war, he was a very kind, gentle, quiet, self-effacing man.

I would never have known he was in the war at all, except my Mom mentioned one day that John would not eat chicken. When I asked her why, she said "Your Uncle was on a ship in an English harbor for several days, then crossed the English Channel for the invasion of France. They ate a lot of canned chicken on the ship, and he's hated it ever since."

Curious, I looked up his Official Service Record (back in the time when that was easy for anyone to do online). There I found that he received an Invasion Medal, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart. Upon further research, I found that he was in an Infantry Company of 99 soldiers whom stormed Omaha Beach on D-Day morning and suffered 97 killed or wounded. John was one of the wounded.

God bless all our service men & women for their part in keeping freedom & democracy alive & well.

CabMech #5 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 18:57

Senior Community Manager

• Administrator
  • 10318 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

this is what I'm submitting

The_Jarhead #6 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 18:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 61663 battles
  • [JHD] JHD

My step father, as well as one of my high school teachers, were both major influences on my decision to become a Marine.  Unfortunately, I dont have any photos, I lost everything when my house got wiped off the map during a hurricane,  My step father was a Combat Engineer in the Marines during WW II and Korea.  He was awarded a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, five Purple Hearts and numerous other awards.  He fought at Tarawa, Saipan, Okinawa, and a few other smaller campaigns during WW II, and was at Inchon and Chosin during the Korean War.  He retired after more than thirty years of both active and reserve service as a Master Gunnery Sergeant.  Sadly he passed away several years ago.

My high school teacher taught German, which I took for two years.  He was a German Jew and he and his parents barely made it out of Nazi Germany in 1938 right before Kristallnacht.  His Father was a decorated WW I vet, and one of his friends he fought with during the war, who was in the SS, warned them to escape while they could.  My teacher's family made it to America in 1940.  He joined the Marines in 1942 when he finished college.  He became a Corsair pilot and flew mostly ground attack missions in several battles during WW II and again in Korea.  He narrowly avoided being shot down several times by flak, and one time brought in a jagged chunk of it they pulled out of his plane.  Another inch to the left or right, he said, and it would have brought him down.  He stayed in the reserves, went on to fly Skyraiders and Phantoms and retired as a Major, A few years after he retired, he tried to come back for Vietnam, but he couldn't pass his physical.  He had developed a minor heart condition and couldn't fly anymore. That's when he became a teacher.  He retired from teaching when I was in the Marines, and i lost track of him after that.            

Edited by The_Jarhead, Oct 16 2020 - 19:03.

zhimbo2018 #7 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 18:59

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12105 battles
  • [BCAMP] BCAMP

A military veteran important to me?  I have to mention my uncle, Thomas A. Lyke.  Unfortunately, I cannot produce a video, he passed away 3 years ago.  Why is/was he so important to me?  I knew him throughout my childhood and, up until the past three years, for my entire adult life.  He was a friend, a mentor and a true patriotic citizen of our nation.

Uncle Tom was tanker, he drove a M46 Patton KR during the Korean Conflict.  Fought from the Pusan Perimeter all the way up the Korean Peninsula to the Chinese border.  Earned a Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

During a night in April 1951, on a rescue mission, his tank company was ambushed by the Chinese forces.  His tank was knocked out though he managed to abandon the vehicle.  Four days later, while trying to get back to allied lines, he was captured and spent the next 28 months in a POW camp.

Here's link to his story from the 24th Infantry Division Association's webpage (pictures included):

http://24thida.com/s...lley_death.html

Here's another link to a pdf of the above article with larger print, larger pictures and addenda (from the "Taro Leaf" newsletter of the 24th Infantry Division):

https://www.google.c...w0djR5R4_Qvztye

Note the picture of his knocked out tank, you can see the "Tiger" paint job it sported.

I miss him dearly, yet.

Z

Edited by zhimbo2018, Oct 17 2020 - 16:34.

Tig_Welder_1 #8 Posted Oct 16 2020 - 22:30

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8333 battles

All military veterans regardless of country are important to me. However, due to the requirement's of this topic, I would like to nominate my brother Robert E. Hoskins II. 

He enter service in 1992 and served with the 101st, 160th SOAR (special operations aviation regiment), as well as 3rd Special Forces Group.

Combat tours are numerous from Somalia to Iraq as well as a few combat tours near and around Kandahar Afghanistan. He honorably retired in August 2012 after 20 years of service.

My brother is two years older than I am, he is the reason I also entered military service in 1994. I was always intrigued with his stories of travel and shooting "state of the art" weapons systems. In 2003, we were both deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and where some of the only pair of siblings in combat at the same time. I always followed in his footsteps, and seen each of his promotions as a challenge to myself to "catch him". In the end, we both ended of retired (myself in August 2014) as Sergeant First Classes with more than 10 combat tours between the two of us with footprints in the sands of dang near every middle eastern country there is.  

https://imgur.com/LXy8dRQ

I am on the left and my brother is on the right in the photo.

Thank you all for your service 

Edited by Tig_Welder_1, Oct 16 2020 - 22:38.

AshMatrix #9 Posted Oct 17 2020 - 00:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 11021 battles

My great grandfather, Carl Lang. he was a tank commander during WWII, i dont know much about his service other than the very few bits he ever spoke about (i never had the heart to ask him about it seeing as it wasn't something he liked to talk about.) he recently passed away and he received military sendoff only without the 21 gun salute because he never liked guns. here's what i DO know: he was a sergeant, he rode in an M4 Sherman, he was part of the cleanup crew after D-Day which is probably why he never talked about the war. i know he received a purple heart and it was that injury that sent him home, he hated the hedgerows bc they were an awful obstacle for his tank, at one point his crew blew the top off a German bunker disguised as a pile of hay. I love him very much and i hope wherever he is he is at peace. he was a very kind person and a rather boisterous party animal at times, but whenever asked about the war he would simply say "that was one life, this is another." and usually nothing more on the subject.

now for the strange part, I've played WoT since 2014 on this account when i got my M4 sherman i renamed my tanks commander Carl Langley (cant have lnag bc its an american crew and lang is a german last name). i eventually sold that tank but accidentally dismissed the crew. later i got a jumbo (M4A3E2) and the commander had Carl Langley as his random rolled name.
this also happened with my gf's grandmother's name on my T29 when i rolled a female gunner for it. 

petester_1 #10 Posted Oct 17 2020 - 00:50

Private

• -Players-
  • 8032 battles
  • [REARF] REARF
My Australian Grandfather fought for several years in the south west pacific theater.  Landed and fought in New Guinea around the time of the Coral Sea battle and spent most of the war island hoping in the area in the various conflicts.  He never liked talking about his experiences and was quiet and a bit withdrawn as a result.  He gave me his bush hat when I was a young kid and was quite a memorable moment for me.   IGN: petester_1

lordsheen #11 Posted Oct 17 2020 - 20:08

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 89842 battles
  • [INVIL] INVIL
My buddy Conquer_France is a military veteran. He's an entertaining fellow who I enjoy platooning with in World of Tanks. I don't know him outside of WoT, but his service is appreciated nonetheless. :honoring:

PumpkinHead286 #12 Posted Oct 17 2020 - 21:49

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 687 battles
My big dad he fought in world war 1 and 2 ,My cousin was about to finish his training to be one of those  guys that protects the president but broke his leg in training  skiing of all things after that he was discharged . My sister in law both her brothers are in the army. I Have a childhood friend that was in the marines and went on to be a ufc fighter. I Know a few others but those are a few people I know off the top of my head.

Cowcat137 #13 Posted Oct 17 2020 - 22:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 18786 battles
  • [HHOUR] HHOUR

Those unknowns but too God. Soldiers who fought and died, left their mortal remains lost in some forest or jungle or desert.

Go tell the Spartans, you who passeth by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

CamiloCienfuegos #14 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 13:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 67806 battles

Health to all veterans, my wish is that you feel better every day.

But today I want to pay tribute to future veterans, to those who today are children who see war as something "honorable and heroic." Those that tomorrow will go to "serve" their country fighting, of course it is always outside its borders.
Guys, come back alive and whole in body and soul.

Sherman_Panzer #15 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 15:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 113185 battles
  • [-FKS-] -FKS-

Every male ancestor I have served, other than my paternal grandfather only due to his age when WW2 broke out and a previous industrial accident.

So many stories.

I strongly encourage everyone to talk to a relative who served or another veteran.

Their stories encouraged me to take a minor in history in my undergrad with a specific focus on the experiences of WW1 & WW2.

Some of stories, albeit brief:

My uncle Len, fought in the 8th army in north Africa.

Had 2 fingers blown off defusing a boobytrap mine to allow an officer to escape who was dumb enough to put himself in position to get blown up by at least wise enough not to trigger the explosive. Military awarded both my uncle and the officer the same medal (Military Medal which I have). All done while under fire.

My uncle Tom, shot down over Germany in 1943.

RAF, flying at night. Parachuting into pitch dark in Germany.

Spent 3 days trying to get to France (the 30 minutes of training on what to do if shot down said: rip off all insignia off coat (by this time in war, people would wear anything so you actually ddnt stand out too much), travel during rush hour, get to France, find the resistance, get home...very helpful)

Ran into a patrol at the end of 1 rush hour, taken in for questioning. Tried to pass himself as a "Finlander", mutual Russian enemies of Germany at the time.

After a couple of hours questioning, in walks a gestapo major, reaches in and pulls out uncles dog tage and asks in perfect English (he had worked in London in the 30's).

"If you are Finnish, why are you flying for the RAF?"

Spent most of the rest of the war in Stalag IVb... till he escaped (another long story).

He kept a secret diary...one day I will write a book.

My great Uncle James, who survived 2 torpedoing's on the Murmansk convoy.... the 3rd torpedoing sank him and his ship.

My dad, who made his decision to migrate to Canada based on who he met in service.

My great grandad, who served with the Highland Light Infantry in Gallipoli amongst others and eventually dies from wounds about 10 years after WW1, at a tiem with no social services and living in pain for that time.

https://imgur.com/ySe2w8C

nednederlander_3amigos #16 Posted Oct 20 2020 - 14:53

Private

• -Players-
  • 1702 battles
  • [C_C_T] C_C_T
To my wife. Although not a vet, she did hold down the fort while I was off to many corners of the world for a couple of decades. Thank you

NutrientibusMeaGallus #17 Posted Oct 20 2020 - 16:18

Major

• Players
  • 22763 battles
  • [FAMO] FAMO
  My friend Joe was in Vietnam for two tours. His job was tunnel rat and ambusher. They would send him and 4 or 5 guys out with pistols shotguns and knives to kill the enemy. He's a really mellow nice guy, which makes it hard to reconcile the ear necklace and the fighting he's seen... He is currently homeless  at a shelter in Union City NJ unfortunately. I can't imagine the things he's seen and done but after Vietnam the guy deserves a place to live....

ColdSteel5a #18 Posted Oct 20 2020 - 23:25

Captain

• Players
  • 38717 battles
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY

My Father.

WWII.  Marine Raider.  Every landing from Mackin Island to Okinawa, with the exception of Iwo Jima (down with malaria).  I was born when he was 55, he retired and then became a pilot at the age of 65.  Taught me alot and helped encourage me to become an officer and serve myself.

Capt_Usagi63 #19 Posted Oct 23 2020 - 18:22

Private

• Players
  • 9916 battles
  • [8CH] 8CH

My c/p from my YT response.. it applies here as well ;-p

WoT nick = Capt_Usagi63 As to a vets... well, there's me lol - I'm a Cold War vet from 83-90, serving with both the Royal Canadian Dragoons and the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's). Currently I'm in the 8CH clan, but they don't seem to do much, but it's more of a nostalgia thing for me - just like getting the Leo 1 ;) But I will take advantage of the Tour of Duty mode, see if I can contribute to the clan. As to other vets, my last crew commander did time in Bosnia and Afghanistan, he got some medals along the way, but I don't ask him what he did. As well, I have a FB mate and former tanker, who I've never met, but we're buds online. He also was in the Cold War and Bosnia. His dad was a tanker too, and was at Normandy o.0

Edited by Capt_Usagi63, Oct 23 2020 - 19:18.

Cmdr_AF #20 Posted Oct 23 2020 - 18:39

Private

• WG Staff
  • 604 battles
  • [WGA] WGA

Hola! Thank you so much for sharing your dedications - I'm really enjoying them so far! There's still time to share your video dedication, which you can either post here in this thread or send to me via email: wotreplays@wargaming.net 

I recorded one too! Hope ya'll have a great weekend! 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users