French Lights Crew question

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

3aces #1 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 19:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35684 battles

I have started up the French lights line and I am at tier 6 with an amx 12t. 

What should my first skills for my crew. I chose six sense for my commander but what about the other crew members?

Would it be the same skills for the rest of the French light line?

gpc_4 #2 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 20:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 47625 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
Camo. 

churchill50 #3 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 20:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 21894 battles
  • [HIME] HIME

View Postgpc_4, on Oct 18 2020 - 12:01, said:

Camo. 

I second this.

3aces #4 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 20:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35684 battles

View Postchurchill50, on Oct 18 2020 - 14:09, said:

I second this.

Ok, for my second skills which should i choose?

DrWho_ #5 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 20:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 35214 battles
  • [B-S-B] B-S-B

Second skills ?

Camo for commander

Snap shot for gunner

Off road driving for driver

You could argue situational awareness for commander as second skill perhaps but extra view range does you no good if you're spotted and killed

ThePigSheFlies #6 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 23:07

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

if you have the luxury of spending money to convert free xp to crew xp, and/or burn crew books you can hit the ground running then here's how I recommend it:

1. 1st set - all BIA
  2. 2nd set - all Camo with 6th sense on commander
  3. put camo on the commander, and in the next sets on preference - survival/driving/repairs
  4. then go with the vision perks 

ps.  most of the maps won't allow you to simply spot.  you must embrace your combat role if you want to consistently influence matches positively.  french lights are plenty valuable with early game intel, but where they really shine is mid/late game where their auto loaders can assassinate wounded tanks.  and regardless of the crew skills, map awareness, and making calculated decisions on where/when to use the gun are critical to success in any LT.

if the url copied appropriately, at the ~65s mark you can see my 1390 crew, sitting in the ELC Even 90.  this is the same crew I also used in the 1357.  this doesn't happen over night, but obviously makes any of the 3 LTs this crew can play in pretty comfortable.

highex #7 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 23:40

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28907 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

everyone screams sixth sense. i always assume i am spotted at all times. i know my tomato stats will draw derision, but having sixth sense is not going to improve my play style. 

mentor on the other hand is always active and improves crew skills.

if the cmdr in this vehicle does not have bia i would go recon or situational awareness. then switch to bia.

most importantly, after every battle, i increase the cmdr up 1 skill % if that can be done for less than 500 free xp. but only 1% even if i can do more for the same 500 free xp. that way it is sustainable and you are less likely to run out of free xp. 

doing this takes time and is boring and the return is arguable if you are running boosters.

however by doing this, i have 1 crew of each nation that are practically super heroes that i gold retrain for each on track that comes up.

this 6 skill usa td crew was my 5 skill med/ hvy crew that was my 4-5 skill td crew, that was my 4 skill med crew, that was my 3 skill light crew, and will be my 6-7 skill light crew again when sheridan comes on track. 

i have most of the premium tanks so that helps as crew trainers as well.

finally, at this point, i never take situational awareness off the cmdrs or loaders even if they dont use it. the next tank probably will.

2MOEJOE #8 Posted Oct 18 2020 - 23:59

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6437 battles
I play my Lts like meds because this player base is autistic.6th  and camo .

Whistling_Death_ #9 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 00:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 71937 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View Post3aces, on Oct 18 2020 - 13:53, said:

I have started up the French lights line and I am at tier 6 with an amx 12t. 

What should my first skills for my crew. I chose six sense for my commander but what about the other crew members?

Would it be the same skills for the rest of the French light line?

The job of a light scouting tank, (as the name states), is to scout, (not firing the gun as other tanks do), so it needs crew training that enables it do that, or enhance its ability to do so.  This means 100% Concealment training for the entire crew, Sixth Sense of course, Situational Awareness and Recon to improve the view range and Designated Target to keep spotted enemy tanks lit up 20% longer, so they can be shot and blown up by your teammates, (particularly by your powerful team artillery).   After that is completed, to enhance mobility and maneuverability, Off-Road Driving and Clutch Braking. 

Here is the World of Tanks Wiki page link for crew skills and perks;  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew#Skills_and_Perks

A good light scouting tank player can dominate battles without ever firing a shot.  When our scouts light up enemy tanks and our teammates shoot them, (again, particularly our powerful team artillery), we earn 50% of the silver coins and XP they do.  Since their guns are much bigger and more powerful than the spit-ball guns of light scouting tanks, we can actually earn more silver and XP by scouting than by firing the gun.  Firing the gun blows the concealment rating of a tank by over 75%, which totally defeats the purpose of a light scouting tank.  It's like waving a big, blinking neon sign that says, "Here I am!  Shoot here!".  With the rice paper armor of a light scouting tank and its smaller hit point pool, many light scouting tanks can be blown up in only two to three shots.  A blown up light scouting tank is no good to its team.  Scout with your scouts, don't engage enemy tanks.  A good enemy vehicles spotted ratio per battle to shoot for is at least 2.50+.   Lower than that, we're not effectively scouting.

The French AMX 12 t has the highest concealment rating of any light scouting tank at tier VI, follow by the Chinese 59-16.  At tier V, the AMX ELC bis is tied for the highest concealment rating in the game with the French tier VIII ELC EVEN 90. I have 2,771 battles with my ELC and a 55% winning percentage.  With its fantastic concealment rating the ELC can do things no other tank can and it's a ton of fun. :)

Light scouting tanks have unique camouflage abilities that no other class of tanks have. They are not meant for brawling. Their camouflage rating stays the same whether they are sitting still or on the move. This makes them very dangerous and they are meant to scout the enemy, not shoot them.

Below are a few excellent videos on light scouting tanks.  Enjoy.  :)

Here is a great video on how to win battles with light scouting tanks. They are not for sitting in the back, leaving their team blind, exchanging shots with enemy tanks or brawling. They are for finding the enemy tanks.

Whistling_Death_ #10 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 00:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 71937 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD

View Posthighex, on Oct 18 2020 - 17:40, said:

everyone screams sixth sense. i always assume i am spotted at all times. i know my tomato stats will draw derision, but having sixth sense is not going to improve my play style. 

if the cmdr in this vehicle does not have bia i would go recon or situational awareness. then switch to bia.

most importantly, after every battle, i increase the cmdr up 1 skill % if that can be done for less than 500 free xp. but only 1% even if i can do more for the same 500 free xp. that way it is sustainable and you are less likely to run out of free xp. 

doing this takes time and is boring and the return is arguable if you are running boosters.

however by doing this, i have 1 crew of each nation that are practically super heroes that i gold retrain for each on track that comes up.

this 6 skill usa td crew was my 5 skill med/ hvy crew that was my 4-5 skill td crew, that was my 4 skill med crew, that was my 3 skill light crew, and will be my 6-7 skill light crew again when sheridan comes on track. 

finally, at this point, i never take situational awareness off the cmdrs or loaders even if they dont use it. the next tank probably will.

Sixth Sense is the most important Skill/Perk of all, especially for a light scouting tank.  Without it, there's no way for a light scouting tank Commander to know their tank has been spotted while passively scouting, until they are shot and blown up, but it's too late then.

Mentor provides only a very small increase to the training rate of the rest of the crew.  There are many other Skills and Perks that are more valuable.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew#Skills_and_Perks

Mentor Commander For every 1% of the Training Level of the Commander's Mentor Skill, all crew members except the Commander himself, receive an amount of 0.1% additional experience at the end of every battle, up to a maximum of 10% each when the Mentor Skill reaches 100%. If the Commander's Mentor Skill Training Level increases during the battle, the crew will benefit from the increase.

Useful on any tank you plan to keep indefinitely.

highex #11 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 15:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 28907 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

sixth sense is useless unless you are spotted.

if you are spotted it will likely be from someone that is close to you.

if you are passive scouting it is likely that your spot will be from someone moving and probably spotted by you already. which means you have pretty good advance notice from mini map that you are about to be spotted.

and with the delay, the knowledge that you are spotted is overrated.

it is very much like insurance: only useful if you need it and by then it is often too late, and doesnt cover you if you are stupid (ie: ins doesnt work if you drink and drive like sixth sense doesnt work if you are in obvious passive scout bush).

mentor is always on. little bits add up.

ThePigSheFlies #12 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 16:06

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View Posthighex, on Oct 19 2020 - 09:51, said:

here's an easy example why those of you that state 6th sense is overrated are completely, utterly, and totally incorrect.

yes, one can 'assume' that one is 'always spotted' - but there is a significant difference in knowing it.

in this battle on common test, in the manticore I know very quickly that one of the enemy EBRs that has never been spotted is playing passive in the bushes on the 'x' intersection at E2 as every single time I fire, I get lit.  knowing this, I know I cannot safely move up in this area to attempt to spot.  and with middle locked down by the enemy for a considerable amount of time, I can't try to break that camo from the side either.

note:  I don't have to sit and wait for 6th sense to go off, and I don't.  given that the number of bushes/angles are limited in most maps one can do similar strategies to isolate where an enemy set of eyes are.  poking a ridge, or surfing it and dropping down instantly and seeing the 6th sense go off after safely behind cover can/does isolate which bush a LT is playing passive in.

to the OP.  the service records of those giving advice is easy to look up.  before acting on any advice on how to scout, which is already difficult, evaluate the 'credentials' of those offering that advice by taking a look at how they typically perform.  I fully concede that I'm not a great tank player, but I am according to the stats, considerably above average in most LTs that I have played regularly in the past 4-5 years.  and my chaffee and elc amx battles mostly date from when those tier 5 LTs saw tier 10s.  it's a very different game today

I earned this years and years ago:

I win in many of my LTs more frequently than my overall win rate, and regularly have produced results for spotting/assist on the more difficult LT Personal missions, long after completing said missions, and in lower tiers where doing so isn't efficient.

and despite all of that, would highly recommend watching twitch.com/dreadshells over my own advice, also strongly recommend youtube content from taugrim and/or 4tankers.

I_QQ_4_U #13 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 16:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 27121 battles
All camo and use a directive for 6th then retrain the commander for 6th. Best bet is to just drop a book on them then get 6th for the commander and 50% camo and all camo on the rest(or all BIA, keep using 6th directives and cmno at 50% on the rest) and 50% something else on the others, either repairs or ORD and Snap shot.

Edited by I_QQ_4_U, Oct 19 2020 - 16:26.

Roggg2 #14 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 16:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 24501 battles
  • [RVN-G] RVN-G

6th sense is the only true "game changer" in the skill list across almost every class (not arty).  Especially light tanks.  If having it doesn't change the way you play, then you should probably question how you play.  For example, you simply can not scout passively if you assume you are spotted all the time.  You should also be able to use which peeks get you spotted to deduce where you are getting spotted from, and so "place" unspotted tanks to certain vision lanes, or even specific bushes on the map.  

And FWIW, ThePigSheFlies is being modest.  He is an excellent light tank player, and you should take his advice seriously.

Edited by Roggg2, Oct 19 2020 - 16:54.

coconut2011 #15 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 19:50

Major

• Players
  • 73547 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

Unless you want to keep resetting your crew skills, which is very expensive, the best way is to setup like this:

Commander: 6th sense, BIA, SA, Recon, Camo

Gunner: Camo, BIA, Repair, etc

Driver: Camo, BIA, Off road, Clutch Braking, Repair, etc

BTW, you do not want to reset your skills using credits.  You will lose lots of hours / days of progress.  WG implemented it just to screw the F2P players.  Just don't do it.  Resetting using gold is expensive if you do so for every tank you have.  I have 350+ tanks in the garage.  Simply resetting the commander for all tanks would cost me 200 x 350 = 70,000 gold.  So pre-planning is the key.

DrWho_ #16 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 20:22

Major

• -Players-
  • 35214 battles
  • [B-S-B] B-S-B

View Posthighex, on Oct 19 2020 - 15:51, said:

if you are spotted it will likely be from someone that is close to you.

if you are passive scouting it is likely that your spot will be from someone moving and probably spotted by you already. which means you have pretty good advance notice from mini map that you are about to be spotted.

and with the delay, the knowledge that you are spotted is overrated.

it is very much like insurance: only useful if you need it and by then it is often too late, and doesnt cover you if you are stupid (ie: ins doesnt work if you drink and drive like sixth sense doesnt work if you are in obvious passive scout bush).

mentor is always on. little bits add up.

I can not emphasise enough how wrong you are about 6th sense.

coconut2011 #17 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 23:09

Major

• Players
  • 73547 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

View PostDrWho_, on Oct 19 2020 - 11:22, said:

I can not emphasise enough how wrong you are about 6th sense.

Agree here.

Funny thing is that he is not aware how bad he plays the light tanks.

3aces #18 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 23:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35684 battles

View Posthighex, on Oct 18 2020 - 17:40, said:

Wouldn't this mean that you cannot play a variety of tanks for each nation. I like to play random tanks out of the blue, so for example even though my tier X might have my best crew (3 skills maybe), i like to play a variety of tanks from tier 4 up to tier X which means i would not want to retrain a crew for one game.

3aces #19 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 23:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35684 battles

View PostWhistling_Death_, on Oct 18 2020 - 18:39, said:

The job of a light scouting tank, (as the name states), is to scout, (not firing the gun as other tanks do), so it needs crew training that enables it do that, or enhance its ability to do so.  This means 100% Concealment training for the entire crew, Sixth Sense of course, Situational Awareness and Recon to improve the view range and Designated Target to keep spotted enemy tanks lit up 20% longer, so they can be shot and blown up by your teammates, (particularly by your powerful team artillery).   After that is completed, to enhance mobility and maneuverability, Off-Road Driving and Clutch Braking. 

Here is the World of Tanks Wiki page link for crew skills and perks;  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew#Skills_and_Perks

A good light scouting tank player can dominate battles without ever firing a shot.  When our scouts light up enemy tanks and our teammates shoot them, (again, particularly our powerful team artillery), we earn 50% of the silver coins and XP they do.  Since their guns are much bigger and more powerful than the spit-ball guns of light scouting tanks, we can actually earn more silver and XP by scouting than by firing the gun.  Firing the gun blows the concealment rating of a tank by over 75%, which totally defeats the purpose of a light scouting tank.  It's like waving a big, blinking neon sign that says, "Here I am!  Shoot here!".  With the rice paper armor of a light scouting tank and its smaller hit point pool, many light scouting tanks can be blown up in only two to three shots.  A blown up light scouting tank is no good to its team.  Scout with your scouts, don't engage enemy tanks.  A good enemy vehicles spotted ratio per battle to shoot for is at least 2.50+.   Lower than that, we're not effectively scouting.

The French AMX 12 t has the highest concealment rating of any light scouting tank at tier VI, follow by the Chinese 59-16.  At tier V, the AMX ELC bis is tied for the highest concealment rating in the game with the French tier VIII ELC EVEN 90. I have 2,771 battles with my ELC and a 55% winning percentage.  With its fantastic concealment rating the ELC can do things no other tank can and it's a ton of fun. :)

Light scouting tanks have unique camouflage abilities that no other class of tanks have. They are not meant for brawling. Their camouflage rating stays the same whether they are sitting still or on the move. This makes them very dangerous and they are meant to scout the enemy, not shoot them.

Below are a few excellent videos on light scouting tanks.  Enjoy.  :)

Here is a great video on how to win battles with light scouting tanks. They are not for sitting in the back, leaving their team blind, exchanging shots with enemy tanks or brawling. They are for finding the enemy tanks.

Thanks for the informative post. I am finally getting around to playing light tanks and really have not much experience with them. From what i have tried with light tanks, I find that they are the most difficult to play so I did not really pay much attention to spotting when i played heavies, arty and TDs.I will try camo for my commander for my 2nd skill. I have never chosen camo before for my commander's second skill for any of my other tanks other than Arty.

3aces #20 Posted Oct 19 2020 - 23:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35684 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Oct 18 2020 - 17:07, said:

if you have the luxury of spending money to convert free xp to crew xp, and/or burn crew books you can hit the ground running then here's how I recommend it:

1. 1st set - all BIA
  2. 2nd set - all Camo with 6th sense on commander
  3. put camo on the commander, and in the next sets on preference - survival/driving/repairs
  4. then go with the vision perks 

ps.  most of the maps won't allow you to simply spot.  you must embrace your combat role if you want to consistently influence matches positively.  french lights are plenty valuable with early game intel, but where they really shine is mid/late game where their auto loaders can assassinate wounded tanks.  and regardless of the crew skills, map awareness, and making calculated decisions on where/when to use the gun are critical to success in any LT.

if the url copied appropriately, at the ~65s mark you can see my 1390 crew, sitting in the ELC Even 90.  this is the same crew I also used in the 1357.  this doesn't happen over night, but obviously makes any of the 3 LTs this crew can play in pretty comfortable.

Thanks for the advice. I have some French crew books but that brings up another question. Which French line would be best to use the crew books on i.e.. bang for the buck or to put it another way, which one is it the most important to have a good crew. i am going up the lines for all the French vehicles right now. I am doing lights, mediums, heavies, TDs and arty.  I am at tier 5 for arty, tier 6 for TDs, tier 6 lights and tier 8s for Heavies. I haven't reached the mediums yet because they start at tier IX.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users