French Lights Crew question

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

8_Hussars #21 Posted Oct 20 2020 - 00:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 62598 battles

View Posthighex, on Oct 18 2020 - 15:40, said:

mentor on the other hand is always active and improves crew skills.

Although fundamentally true, the benefits of Mentor pale comparatively to even a very modest 5% increase in performance per game, and sixth sense (or almost any other Commander skill) will provide much more than that.  The math says so mate.

For Your Consideration: Mentor...

Edited by 8_Hussars, Oct 20 2020 - 00:16.

8_Hussars #22 Posted Oct 20 2020 - 00:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 62598 battles

View Post3aces, on Oct 18 2020 - 11:53, said:

I have started up the French lights line and I am at tier 6 with an amx 12t. 

What should my first skills for my crew. I chose six sense for my commander but what about the other crew members?

Would it be the same skills for the rest of the French light line?

You already have had some good answers from great scouts.  I will just throw my build here (assuming you are starting from scratch):

Commander: Sixth, Camo, SA
Gunner: Snap Shot, Camo, Repair
Driver: Clutch, Camo, ORD

And then a gold retrain for BIA at the 4th skill.

View Post3aces, on Oct 19 2020 - 15:42, said:

Thanks for the advice. I have some French crew books but that brings up another question. Which French line would be best to use the crew books on i.e.. bang for the buck or to put it another way, which one is it the most important to have a good crew. i am going up the lines for all the French vehicles right now. I am doing lights, mediums, heavies, TDs and arty.  I am at tier 5 for arty, tier 6 for TDs, tier 6 lights and tier 8s for Heavies. I haven't reached the mediums yet because they start at tier IX.

IMHO it depends on what you like to play but of all the classes, light tanks (with reduced crews) require more crew skills to be competitive. 

Edited by 8_Hussars, Oct 20 2020 - 00:17.

ThePigSheFlies #23 Posted Oct 20 2020 - 00:34

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View Post3aces, on Oct 19 2020 - 17:42, said:

Thanks for the advice. I have some French crew books but that brings up another question. Which French line would be best to use the crew books on i.e.. bang for the buck or to put it another way, which one is it the most important to have a good crew. i am going up the lines for all the French vehicles right now. I am doing lights, mediums, heavies, TDs and arty.  I am at tier 5 for arty, tier 6 for TDs, tier 6 lights and tier 8s for Heavies. I haven't reached the mediums yet because they start at tier IX.

LTs require the highest number of crew skills imho to be comfortable to play.  They need camo/vision skills, and combat skills, especially because most of the maps don't allow you just spot.  If you're not at least trying to counter soft targets with harassing fire on some maps you're dead weight that needs to be carried. (again a map problem)

for that reason I would focus my best crews into the LTs.  Another issue however with french LTs is their limited crew capacity.  you have 3 crew members on most of them to spread valuable crew skills across.  for example, the loader and radio operator skills aren't on separate crew members, but double stacked on top of other crew responsibilities such as commander/driver/gunner's

the above being said, LTs have always been my favorite tank class to play because they're not 'ez mode' - like the 279e in my garage.  I don't try-hard per se' in most of them, but I do enjoy the challenge of influencing battles without using hurrdurr w-key brute force like an assault heavy, or camping on the redline like most TDs.

your mileage may vary, avoid prolonged exposure to 183mm guns and HE in general.  seek alternative entertainment if you constantly get garbage maps or yolo'ed out by wheelies.  :) 

3aces #24 Posted Oct 21 2020 - 18:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35593 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Oct 19 2020 - 10:06, said:

here's an easy example why those of you that state 6th sense is overrated are completely, utterly, and totally incorrect.

yes, one can 'assume' that one is 'always spotted' - but there is a significant difference in knowing it.

in this battle on common test, in the manticore I know very quickly that one of the enemy EBRs that has never been spotted is playing passive in the bushes on the 'x' intersection at E2 as every single time I fire, I get lit.  knowing this, I know I cannot safely move up in this area to attempt to spot.  and with middle locked down by the enemy for a considerable amount of time, I can't try to break that camo from the side either.

note:  I don't have to sit and wait for 6th sense to go off, and I don't.  given that the number of bushes/angles are limited in most maps one can do similar strategies to isolate where an enemy set of eyes are.  poking a ridge, or surfing it and dropping down instantly and seeing the 6th sense go off after safely behind cover can/does isolate which bush a LT is playing passive in.

to the OP.  the service records of those giving advice is easy to look up.  before acting on any advice on how to scout, which is already difficult, evaluate the 'credentials' of those offering that advice by taking a look at how they typically perform.  I fully concede that I'm not a great tank player, but I am according to the stats, considerably above average in most LTs that I have played regularly in the past 4-5 years.  and my chaffee and elc amx battles mostly date from when those tier 5 LTs saw tier 10s.  it's a very different game today

I earned this years and years ago:

I win in many of my LTs more frequently than my overall win rate, and regularly have produced results for spotting/assist on the more difficult LT Personal missions, long after completing said missions, and in lower tiers where doing so isn't efficient.

and despite all of that, would highly recommend watching twitch.com/dreadshells over my own advice, also strongly recommend youtube content from taugrim and/or 4tankers.

Thanks for the advice. Lights have a big effect on the game, yet they are the most likely the most criticized tank type by your teammates. It took me all these battles to finally get around to playing light tanks and now I realize they are the most difficult tank type to play. 

ThePigSheFlies #25 Posted Oct 21 2020 - 19:16

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View Post3aces, on Oct 21 2020 - 12:04, said:

Thanks for the advice. Lights have a big effect on the game, yet they are the most likely the most criticized tank type by your teammates. It took me all these battles to finally get around to playing light tanks and now I realize they are the most difficult tank type to play. 

happy to help.  don't forget my most important advice:

"and despite all of that, would highly recommend watching twitch.com/dreadshells over my own advice, also strongly recommend youtube content from taugrim and/or 4tankers."

ShadowDancer27 #26 Posted Oct 21 2020 - 22:41

Major

• Players
  • 36864 battles

View Posthighex, on Oct 18 2020 - 16:40, said:

everyone screams sixth sense. i always assume i am spotted at all times. i know my tomato stats will draw derision, but having sixth sense is not going to improve my play style. 

mentor on the other hand is always active and improves crew skills.

if the cmdr in this vehicle does not have bia i would go recon or situational awareness. then switch to bia.

most importantly, after every battle, i increase the cmdr up 1 skill % if that can be done for less than 500 free xp. but only 1% even if i can do more for the same 500 free xp. that way it is sustainable and you are less likely to run out of free xp. 

doing this takes time and is boring and the return is arguable if you are running boosters.

however by doing this, i have 1 crew of each nation that are practically super heroes that i gold retrain for each on track that comes up.

this 6 skill usa td crew was my 5 skill med/ hvy crew that was my 4-5 skill td crew, that was my 4 skill med crew, that was my 3 skill light crew, and will be my 6-7 skill light crew again when sheridan comes on track. 

i have most of the premium tanks so that helps as crew trainers as well.

finally, at this point, i never take situational awareness off the cmdrs or loaders even if they dont use it. the next tank probably will.

6th Sense is a tool not a crutch.

If there is an exposed gap you are running you can check if you were clean before further exposure.

You are in endgame and don't know enemy location.  Taking a blind shot and getting to cover or making a run over open terrain unspotted can narrow the search.

Getting spotted really early before enemy tanks are able to fire on you can indicate an enemy scout in a short list of favorite bushes.

3aces #27 Posted Yesterday, 12:36 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35593 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Oct 19 2020 - 18:34, said:

LTs require the highest number of crew skills imho to be comfortable to play.  They need camo/vision skills, and combat skills, especially because most of the maps don't allow you just spot.  If you're not at least trying to counter soft targets with harassing fire on some maps you're dead weight that needs to be carried. (again a map problem)

for that reason I would focus my best crews into the LTs.  Another issue however with french LTs is their limited crew capacity.  you have 3 crew members on most of them to spread valuable crew skills across.  for example, the loader and radio operator skills aren't on separate crew members, but double stacked on top of other crew responsibilities such as commander/driver/gunner's

the above being said, LTs have always been my favorite tank class to play because they're not 'ez mode' - like the 279e in my garage.  I don't try-hard per se' in most of them, but I do enjoy the challenge of influencing battles without using hurrdurr w-key brute force like an assault heavy, or camping on the redline like most TDs.

your mileage may vary, avoid prolonged exposure to 183mm guns and HE in general.  seek alternative entertainment if you constantly get garbage maps or yolo'ed out by wheelies.  :) 

I have come to the realization that light crews need the most skills to make them playable. I was thinking that maybe the best way to use my crew books is to pick the tanks with the most crew members and apply it to them and then retrain them to light crews

3aces #28 Posted Yesterday, 12:40 AM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35593 battles

View Post8_Hussars, on Oct 19 2020 - 18:12, said:

You already have had some good answers from great scouts.  I will just throw my build here (assuming you are starting from scratch):

Commander: Sixth, Camo, SA
Gunner: Snap Shot, Camo, Repair
Driver: Clutch, Camo, ORD

And then a gold retrain for BIA at the 4th skill.

IMHO it depends on what you like to play but of all the classes, light tanks (with reduced crews) require more crew skills to be competitive. 

Ok, i will try those suggestions out. I have to train at least a couple light crews probably 4 because i like playing a variety of tanks and don't want to keep paying 600 gold (200 gold for each crew member) to move them around when i just want to play a few games in a tank.

ShadowDancer27 #29 Posted Yesterday, 01:47 AM

Major

• Players
  • 36864 battles

View Post3aces, on Oct 21 2020 - 17:36, said:

I have come to the realization that light crews need the most skills to make them playable. I was thinking that maybe the best way to use my crew books is to pick the tanks with the most crew members and apply it to them and then retrain them to light crews

It is usually the commanders that need insane levels of skills...for the tier 9-10 lights the commander really needs 5 skills to compete.  I use the 850k single crew member books on them.  I almost feel bad sometimes  just plain outspotting the people that think they can run a green crew in a high ltier light tank and grind it to good...it will be a painful experience.

AlamoMelt #30 Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21999 battles

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Oct 19 2020 - 16:34, said:

avoid prolonged exposure to 183mm guns and HE in general. 

Oh man, for the days of my T71 suddenly getting deleted in one shot by a FV183.

ThePigSheFlies #31 Posted Yesterday, 03:11 PM

Major

• Players
  • 82740 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

View PostAlamoMelt, on Oct 22 2020 - 07:48, said:

Oh man, for the days of my T71 suddenly getting deleted in one shot by a FV183.

at the same time, these were days where the ELC Amx would at times have the tracks eat a JPZ E100's HEAT shells LUL :trollface: 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users