• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

C257_Tanks #41 Posted Nov 17 2020 - 00:16

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View PostNeutronRaptor, on Nov 15 2020 - 22:55, said:

If you're actually a new player and not a failed reroll account, stop playing so much arty. Over a third of your games are in a class that will never teach you anything about the normal game besides what angle an arty can hit you from. You would learn that playing normal tanks anyways after a while. You don't learn armor, angles or guns while playing with the satellite view hitting tanks with HE. You are using it as a crutch and it is only going to get worse the more battles you play because every time you try to venture into other tank classes you will get smacked, get frustrated and go straight back to arty sitting at the back of the map. 

My advice, ditch the arty for at least your next 7k battles. Even if you're getting wrecked don't go back to it as a safety blanket. Then see if you are still rocking a 44% overall win rate. 

I started in June or July, can't remember which one .... anyhow sound idea about playing too much SPG ... I only general thing I have learned from that is how to be harder to hit for an SPG when I'm in another tank (and dare I say I'd not bad at that little skill but there's ever so much more to learn).

You make an excellent point, a point I'm taking to heart.  But entirely kicking the SPG habit might be tough as both of my "One" performances and one of my "two" performances were in an SPG.  And with four of them I'm within striking distance of 50%.... M12, Pz. SFL. IVp, FT BS, M40/43, & the St. Pz. II . But I'm putting the others in deep storage for sure.  The M44 is killing me, always thought I played it well but its down at my general rate of 44.

C257_Tanks #42 Posted Nov 17 2020 - 00:19

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View PostBEASTY_BUCKEYE, on Nov 16 2020 - 17:16, said:

And rightfully so, it shouldn't make it easier. The game is suppose to be challenging. That's what keeps us all coming back for more and more. If it was easy mode. The game would of died years ago. Everybody likes win streaks, and we all get them. But its how you handle the days when the going gets tough, and you still figure out a way to win at least some of those games.

I disagree with one point, and its going back to the high school football team playing a pro team.  There's no way that high school team learns a damn.  No matchs shouldn't be easier, they should be more competitive, which they're not.

The_Pushok #43 Posted Nov 17 2020 - 01:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 20280 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

Well, I was once a 43% player, at my 5-7 battle mark, forget exactly. I was using a laptop, touchpad, always on mute. In November of 2017, I decided I actually wanted to get more serious and bought a mouse and headphones. At the same time, I started watch some videos and reading things in regards to knowing the maps, where to go, and some what I consider now, basic tank playing strategies. 

In three years and 10k battles later, average tier 7.8 or so, I have increased my WR to 48%, my recent at 52%.

The game has a pretty big learning curve, this is not Mario Brothers or something, it takes many, many games for the average person to even start playing at the average level of the game, to start even being competitive on a consistent basis. Then there is the next level, those who can carry on a consistent basis, I have yet to get to that level. 

Markd73 #44 Posted Nov 17 2020 - 15:54

Major

• Players
  • 36671 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

View PostC257_Tanks, on Nov 16 2020 - 23:00, said:

Which I did. (taking responsibility, and if you don't see that, you're not reading my posts in their entirety)  To boil my post down it simply says I need to improve a LOT, but MM isn't making it any easier. Period.

Where in  my post did I say that you specifically where not taking responsibility for your actions? I was responding in a general way to patterns that I have seen on the forums. This wasn't about you in particular.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and read my post in context.

realSlaterock #45 Posted Nov 17 2020 - 18:33

Private

• -Players-
  • 3957 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

I have spent almost 5 years playing the Xbox version of this game and just recently moved over to the PC version due to some changes that I did not like on the console. What you are describing is something that I have experienced on both the console and the PC versions. Not a great player either but I enjoy the hell out of it most of the time!!

I have come to the conclusion that wargaming must have a preferential queueing system. An example of this is when you purchase a premium tank you will get preferred match making on that tank (Top tier) for quite a few matches but that will eventually end and you will fall into the normal queueing system.

For the normal queueing or "Random Battles" I think they must have a low RNG queue and every so often you are placed into this queue.  When you are placed into the low RNG queue, you less likely to win due to the low RNG rolls you get by being placed into this queue.

Then there are days when you logon and you actually get a decent win rate because you are not in the low RNG queue. This pattern has happened to me so many times that I feel it is not a coincidence...

Caveat - I have no proof of this mind you but this is how I perceive it. I could be completely wrong on this.

C257_Tanks #46 Posted Nov 17 2020 - 22:25

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View PostMarkd73, on Nov 17 2020 - 08:54, said:

Where in  my post did I say that you specifically where not taking responsibility for your actions? I was responding in a general way to patterns that I have seen on the forums. This wasn't about you in particular.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and read my post in context.

I'm sorry that I read that part of your post incorrectly.  You are correct there.

NeutronRaptor #47 Posted Nov 17 2020 - 23:50

Captain

• Players
  • 33521 battles

View PostC257_Tanks, on Nov 16 2020 - 15:16, said:

I started in June or July, can't remember which one .... anyhow sound idea about playing too much SPG ... I only general thing I have learned from that is how to be harder to hit for an SPG when I'm in another tank (and dare I say I'd not bad at that little skill but there's ever so much more to learn).

You make an excellent point, a point I'm taking to heart.  But entirely kicking the SPG habit might be tough as both of my "One" performances and one of my "two" performances were in an SPG.  And with four of them I'm within striking distance of 50%.... M12, Pz. SFL. IVp, FT BS, M40/43, & the St. Pz. II . But I'm putting the others in deep storage for sure.  The M44 is killing me, always thought I played it well but its down at my general rate of 44.

If you're going specifically for win rate, arty is definitely not it. Arty and TDs have the lowest win rates of all the classes because they are very team dependent. It's why getting angry at losing over and over in arty is never advisable since you are choosing to play a tank class that specifically relies the most on team support and normally has the lowest chance of actually influencing the battles. This is especially true nowadays in how most matches are 5 minutes or less. It just isn't enough time to really output a lot to swing a battle in an arty unless you're extremely good in them. 

If you want to start having some more fun, ditch the arty cold turkey till you're a more experienced player. The more battles you do in them right now the harder it will be to recover your stats later on when the game "clicks" with you. Instead focus on going down noob friendly tanks as you learn. Russian heavies, American mediums ect. Tanks that are all around decent. Use those to get better at the game and then venture out into other tanks. While your at it start watching streams or YouTube videos of good players in your free time (don't watch Claus or Jingles except for entertainment, they are not good). I would recommend Quickybaby, Skill4ltu, LemmingRush, Circon, and OverlordPrime. QB and Skill4ltu both upload regular videos on their YouTube channels that you can watch and learn from. QB does tank break downs and replay showcases while Skill4ltu uploads his "daily dose of skill" videos showing you a few battles from whatever tank he is showcasing, these include his bad battles as well so you can see what he did wrong and put it in your mind so you might not do the same later on.

Finally, remember you're still a new player and it takes thousands of battles to actually understand the game. I was just an orange/yellow WN8 player for my first 7k or so battles. 

Korvick #48 Posted Nov 18 2020 - 06:52

Major

• Players
  • 4587 battles

View PostC257_Tanks, on Nov 16 2020 - 23:00, said:

Which I did. (taking responsibility, and if you don't see that, you're not reading my posts in their entirety)  To boil my post down it simply says I need to improve a LOT, but MM isn't making it any easier. Period.

Maybe you only need to improve a little bit at a time.  When i was sub 48% w/r, I just planned on getting to 50/50, then once I hit that, I worked on getting 51%, and so on.

And another thing.  Stop blaming MM.  For anything.  Once you do, you'll find that you'll start doing better.  Seriously.  There is more contribution from just mental balance than people realise.

Korvick #49 Posted Nov 18 2020 - 06:53

Major

• Players
  • 4587 battles

View PostBEASTY_BUCKEYE, on Nov 16 2020 - 23:16, said:

And rightfully so, it shouldn't make it easier. The game is suppose to be challenging. That's what keeps us all coming back for more and more. If it was easy mode. The game would of died years ago. Everybody likes win streaks, and we all get them. But its how you handle the days when the going gets tough, and you still figure out a way to win at least some of those games.

+1 on this.

PvP is not fair.  Its is certainly not pretty.  It is random and chaotic.  That is the very reason I still play.  Otherwise I'd just go back to play WoW.

C257_Tanks #50 Posted Nov 18 2020 - 17:24

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View PostKorvick, on Nov 17 2020 - 23:52, said:

Maybe you only need to improve a little bit at a time.  When i was sub 48% w/r, I just planned on getting to 50/50, then once I hit that, I worked on getting 51%, and so on.

And another thing.  Stop blaming MM.  For anything.  Once you do, you'll find that you'll start doing better.  Seriously.  There is more contribution from just mental balance than people realize.

Thank you! Really like your comments about having a good "mind-set" going in.

C257_Tanks #51 Posted Nov 18 2020 - 20:27

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

I've turned off the XVM win predictor and I don't show it on my loading screen either.  And yeah, for someone at my level that interferes with enjoyment and perhaps even performance (in a subconscious way).  One doesn't mean to, but one might not try as hard if the computer thinks they've only got a 30% chance of winning.  Good advice all.

And I'm working on "enjoying certain losses too..." like I've posted below.  Yeah my team lost but I got my first Pascucci's medal, a Fire for Effect, and a "three."  I suppose not a big detail for the many years veteran, but felt pretty good to me.

I want to improve (I want more games like the one below) but I'm learning that it will take time.  I also think I should work on one "sub-set" skills of the whole game.  Any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks again all!

BoghieWanKanobie #52 Posted Nov 18 2020 - 21:42

Major

• -Players-
  • 10957 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

OP,

Glad to see that you dumped that 'Chance to Win' mod.  All it takes to blow the 'Chance to Win' is for a player to position poorly, get/deal an ammo rack, miss an important shot, be in a stock or unfamiliar tank, be on a lark, etc...  To me, the simple minded 'Chance to Win' ratio is really the dumbest of mods.

Now, if you keep the color coding in your OTMs (Over the Tank Markers) and player panels just use that information with care - see above.  Don't use it as your own personal dumb non-math formula for 'Chance to Win'.  Here is an example of a valid use:  If you see an enemy tank who is making great use of terrain than look at the color.  If he is a Bluenicum then he will likely continue to do so.  All you will ever see is his turret.  Just be careful with that dude.  Use the color coding as a secondary source of information.  It is not dispositive.

To reinforce one aspect of what NeutronRaptor is talking about be aware that both Arty and TDs are SUPPORT vehicles.  You win when the other players on the team win.  You can help prevent a loss (rarely) and you can help support a win, but you really cannot be a driving force in a win.  If you do play TDs you must keep your vision LT/MTs alive.  You must punish enemy as they crest ridges to shoot your eyes.  Regardless, you would do better by playing front line tanks and then later on playing TDs.  That way you know how to support those front line vehicles rather than just being a body in the backfield.

Finally, XNay on the MM.  And, XNay on the High School/College/NFL thang.  If you are playing a Tier V+ vehicle you are in the big leagues.  It is a sharp break, but it is reality.  We have all dealt with it.  Just eat this elephant in small bites.  For now I would camp Tiers IV - VI with V being your primary tier.  Get your crews to 100% Basic Trained at Tier IV, get their first skill/perk COMPLETED at Tier V, get their second skill/perk COMPLETED at Tier VI.  To do this you will have to focus on maybe three tanks - and, thus three lines.  Dump the games in Tier III and less.  Don't play Tiers VII+ unless you like aggro in Battle Chat.  Part of your problem in getting better is that you are way, way too spread out.  You are playing way too many tanks and not allowing yourself to get good in any of them.  Get a couple/few backstop tanks you are very comfortable in and rather good in.  When you have a losing streak, jump into a backstop tank to break it.  For me, those are the T-34, the Chaffee, and the LT-432.  Find your backstop.

Concurrently, track on a few Twitchers/YouTubers.  I like the Twitchers because you can watch them make mistakes AND RECOVER FROM THEM.  Everybody is a Dodo quite often.  It is what you do to recover from a bozo move that makes the difference.

The_Pushok #53 Posted Nov 19 2020 - 01:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 20280 battles
  • [H-UNT] H-UNT

View PostC257_Tanks, on Nov 18 2020 - 14:27, said:

I've turned off the XVM win predictor and I don't show it on my loading screen either.  And yeah, for someone at my level that interferes with enjoyment and perhaps even performance (in a subconscious way).  One doesn't mean to, but one might not try as hard if the computer thinks they've only got a 30% chance of winning.  Good advice all.

And I'm working on "enjoying certain losses too..." like I've posted below.  Yeah my team lost but I got my first Pascucci's medal, a Fire for Effect, and a "three."  I suppose not a big detail for the many years veteran, but felt pretty good to me.

I want to improve (I want more games like the one below) but I'm learning that it will take time.  I also think I should work on one "sub-set" skills of the whole game.  Any suggestions as to where to start?

Thanks again all!

You have the replay of this?

C257_Tanks #54 Posted Nov 19 2020 - 03:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

View PostThe_Pushok, on Nov 18 2020 - 18:01, said:

You have the replay of this?

No, kinda wish I did...................

Pony_Plop #55 Posted Nov 19 2020 - 10:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 12295 battles
  • [RDDT6] RDDT6
wins and losses don't matter, focus on what you can do better and stop whinging.

C257_Tanks #56 Posted Nov 19 2020 - 23:21

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN

Ok, FWIW I'm going to shelve all but two SPGs.  Let them rest.  :)

M40/43  has played 59 matches with a 51% win rate.

FT BS has played 11 matches with a 55% win rate.

I am taking y'alls advice, just that these two are currently over 50% for me.  If they drop to 48% or lower, I'll be shelving them too for the time being.

Korvick #57 Posted Nov 20 2020 - 00:21

Major

• Players
  • 4587 battles

View PostC257_Tanks, on Nov 19 2020 - 22:21, said:

Ok, FWIW I'm going to shelve all but two SPGs.  Let them rest.  :)

M40/43  has played 59 matches with a 51% win rate.

FT BS has played 11 matches with a 55% win rate.

I am taking y'alls advice, just that these two are currently over 50% for me.  If they drop to 48% or lower, I'll be shelving them too for the time being.

You are putting too much emphasis on the win rate of those two tanks.  At less than 100 games its pretty irrelevant.  As some have pointed out, Arty are so team dependent that it can fluctuate wildly.  I'd just not bother playing Arty for the next 500 games.

And example for me would be my Panther.  I LOST the first 48 of 50 games with it.  Yep, I had a 4% win rate after 50 games.  That is not indicative of it now.  After 1000 games its sitting at 55%.  

ez_money #58 Posted Nov 20 2020 - 04:27

Major

• Players
  • 16491 battles
  • [P-IMP] P-IMP

View PostC257_Tanks, on Nov 18 2020 - 13:27, said:

Thanks again all!

There is nothing wrong with a loss that you did well in. You are not going to carry 14 other people (nor am I) but there is no shame and some pride in doing all that you can. I consistently finish in the top 3-5 whether it be a win or a loss, or even if I am bottom tier in a +/-2 MM battle.

The point is to learn what worked, what didn't work, and focus on the aspects that make these battles successful for you. One of my mantras (and others may disagree) is to stay alive. That doesn't mean hiding the whole time or camping in the back with arty. It just means to be patient and play smartly and methodically. Know your strengths, weaknesses, and work within the vehicle's limits. The longer you are alive, the more opportunities you have to contribute.

LightningBobCC #59 Posted Nov 20 2020 - 21:59

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5121 battles
  • [LTG_B] LTG_B

View PostC257_Tanks, on Nov 16 2020 - 21:04, said:

Of course it is.  The same way the best of you ran down the crack of your momma's [edited]and left a brown stain on the mattress.

Truth hurt and he slings a school yard insult. Huzzah!

C257_Tanks #60 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 19:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3183 battles
  • [-GOIN] -GOIN
Thanks for all the comments.  I got more things bouncing around my head, but they're better posted in new threads.  This thread helped me a lot, while I still believe that MM is bullsh*t thanks to y'all I have a better attitude and I'm actually playing a tiny bit better now.  Still a LONG way to go but now its fun again getting there. :)

Edited by C257_Tanks, Nov 25 2020 - 19:19.

Also tagged with wot, win8, matchmaking, mm, bad, very bad, broken, fair, even

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users