M.2 SSD questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ProfessionalFinn #1 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 20:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 32044 battles

Advice please.  Except for WoT client loading, my PC performance is more than acceptable.  I am considering adding an M.2 SSD. The PC is Windows 10, Ryzen 2400, 16Mb fast memory, 1660Ti GPU.  and employs the vanilla WoT HD client. Currently the OS and games reside on a Samsung 860 EVO SSD.  All else go on a rotating disk. The MB supports PCI Express 3.0 & NVME,

Questions

Should the initial WoT client load speed increase measurably if at all?

What are the options and the pain-points to move the O/S boot-drive from the existing SSD to an M.2 SSD?  

M.2 brand and features advice is appreciated. 

The_Pink_Panther #2 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 20:11

Captain

• Players
  • 87 battles
I am sure you will see some increase but not sure it will be much.  It won't be anything like going from a hard drive to and SSD.

Insanefriend #3 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 21:12

Major

• Players
  • 53882 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Nov 21 2020 - 13:03, said:

Should the initial WoT client load speed increase measurably if at all?  No, over a normal SSD there isn't a difference, the WoT loading time is more so stuck on a back ground server sync slow down rather then anything client side.  On my main account it takes like three minutes to start up, on a alt account with less stuff it takes a lot less time.  This is from either a sata ssd or a m.2, as I had it running from both.

What are the options and the pain-points to move the O/S boot-drive from the existing SSD to an M.2 SSD?  Depends how you do it, and if something goes wrong during the process.  Personally I just did a clean windows install onto the m.2 drive I got a few months back.  Came from a Samsung evo to a WD blue m.2 and there isn't really any difference speed wise.  I mostly got the drive though since I was out of sata ports and wanted more storage.  

M.2 brand and features advice is appreciated.  I'd google it, there is way too much on the various brands/specs to list in a forum post.  But the nitty gritty is Samsung makes solid but pricy drives, the rest all have a lower price point but different strengths and weaknesses.

ArmorStorm #4 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 21:58

Major

• Players
  • 40332 battles
  • [F__R] F__R
I moved WoT back to a hard drive, it just doesn’t make that much difference on a game like this. 

ProfessionalFinn #5 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 22:01

Major

• -Players-
  • 32044 battles
My hunch is confirmed... the slow initial client load will not be improved via an M.2.  The biggest bennie for me with my existing SSD is the initial OS boot.   

Gothraul #6 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 23:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 3149 battles

Been running the game from SSDs for a few years and compared to a slow mechanical drive it has made a difference plus I don't run mods so most of the time I load in before the countdown starts. Don't need an expensive one at all as 128gb and 256gb drives are dirt cheap and if you want other games to load quicker 512gb drives are pretty reasonable while leaving everything else on the mechanical drive.

goldfinger_555 #7 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 23:39

Captain

• Players
  • 28006 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC
OP, can you run game on max settings with the 1660Ti? Assume its 6 GB. Thanks.

ProfessionalFinn #8 Posted Nov 21 2020 - 23:45

Major

• -Players-
  • 32044 battles

View Postgoldfinger_555, on Nov 21 2020 - 14:39, said:

OP, can you run game on max settings with the 1660Ti? Assume its 6 GB. Thanks.

Max settings and runs fast, always over 100fps, usually in the 115fps range.  The GPU is underclocked, using the standard "Quite Mode" setting.  With a 75Hz 1080P monitor, the excess frames go into the bit bucket anyway. 

Edited by ProfessionalFinn, Nov 21 2020 - 23:45.

Pipinghot #9 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 00:27

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Nov 21 2020 - 14:03, said:

Should the initial WoT client load speed increase measurably if at all?

Sorry but no, it won't.

The difference would be measurable, if you have tools that measure your PC performance but it definitely wouldn't be noticeable, as in you would be able to notice any difference from a purely human point of view. The difference in performance for M.2 SSD is not worth the money unless you're doing some major data processing that involves a great deal of disk use.

What are the options and the pain-points to move the O/S boot-drive from the existing SSD to an M.2 SSD?  

M.2 brand and features advice is appreciated.

I have no input on these two questions, it's simply not worth the time & money.

Advice please.  Except for WoT client loading, my PC performance is more than acceptable.  I am considering adding an M.2 SSD. The PC is Windows 10, Ryzen 2400, 16Mb fast memory, 1660Ti GPU.  and employs the vanilla WoT HD client. Currently the OS and games reside on a Samsung 860 EVO SSD.  All else go on a rotating disk. The MB supports PCI Express 3.0 & NVME,

I have a question, but before I ask it I'm going to assume that you meant 16 GB of fast memory. :)

Where do you have your swap space allocated? If you swap space is on your rotating disk them move it to SSD, that would help performance of everything on your PC (I suspect you already have it on SSD, just throwing out there in case you've overlooked it).

Also, with 16GB, what other programs do you leave running when you game? Personally I have some bad browser habits, nowadays I like leaving lots of tabs open rather than using bookmarks and that eats up RAM fast, which also potentially causes more swapping to disk.

ProfessionalFinn #10 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 00:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 32044 battles

View PostPipinghot, on Nov 21 2020 - 15:27, said:

Sorry but no, it won't.

The difference would be measurable, if you have tools that measure your PC performance but it definitely wouldn't be noticeable, as in you would be able to notice any difference from a purely human point of view. The difference in performance for M.2 SSD is not worth the money unless you're doing some major data processing that involves a great deal of disk use.

I have no input on these two questions, it's simply not worth the time & money.

I have a question, but before I ask it I'm going to assume that you meant 16 GB of fast memory. :)

Where do you have your swap space allocated? If you swap space is on your rotating disk them move it to SSD, that would help performance of everything on your PC (I suspect you already have it on SSD, just throwing out there in case you've overlooked it).

Also, with 16GB, what other programs do you leave running when you game? Personally I have some bad browser habits, nowadays I like leaving lots of tabs open rather than using bookmarks and that eats up RAM fast, which also potentially causes more swapping to disk.

My bad... it is 16Gb fast memory, 2933 DDR 4.  Virtual memory / swap space is allocated to the SSD.  Let Window handle all performance settings.  Don't run many programs, primarily Chrome and WoT a wee-bit of MS-Office, kill most open tabs before playing tanks.  The system is plenty fast except for WoT client loads. Thanks.

black_colt #11 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 01:36

Major

• -Players-
  • 5855 battles

View PostProfessionalFinn, on Nov 21 2020 - 15:46, said:

My bad... it is 16Gb fast memory, 2933 DDR 4.  Virtual memory / swap space is allocated to the SSD.  Let Window handle all performance settings.  Don't run many programs, primarily Chrome and WoT a wee-bit of MS-Office, kill most open tabs before playing tanks.  The system is plenty fast except for WoT client loads. Thanks.

IIRC the Chrome browser is a memory hog that only increases the longer it is open on MS Windows.

Perhaps you should close Chrome - OR - switch to MS Edge when playing WoT.

As mentioned earlier load time of WoT client is dependent on many things.  In my experience MS Windows does not handle simultaneous Internet connections well.

Using the same Internet connection [250MB down - >5ms pint] WoT launches very quickly in macOS Big Sur but takes about twice-as-long in MS Windows 10 - no other apps open.  Even the WG Game Center opens about twice-as-fast on macOS -  both machines have 16GB RAM, SSD, Core i7 the only difference is that the Dell has a RTX 2060 versus an R9.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users