Anonymizer, possible hack and counter.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

rustyJunk #1 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 17:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6159 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC

I had noticed lately that some matches would end without after-match report.  I didn't think much of this as I assumed it was yet another bug introduced by a recent patch.

But today there was an anonymized troll that pushed me into enemy fire (very intentionally and noticed by many).  When the match ended there was no after-match report.  When I reviewed the replay before reporting him I noticed he showed with a different name.

Can there be a hack that abuses the anonymizer by crashing the after-match report to avoid getting reported?

If yes, there is a simple counter:  Run the replay.  It lets you see the real player name so that you can report him.  And if it is a hack and not a bug, it will probably get him perma-banned.

omi5cron #2 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 17:27

Major

• Players
  • 30026 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ
most likely a coincidence. your client lost full sync with game server, where that is stored. i have had it happen a few times. if it happens on a claimable bonus match, that does bite. missed a few of the 5 Daily Exp bonuses due to that.

rustyJunk #3 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 17:30

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6159 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC

View Postomi5cron, on Nov 22 2020 - 10:27, said:

most likely a coincidence. your client lost full sync with game server, where that is stored. i have had it happen a few times. if it happens on a claimable bonus match, that does bite. missed a few of the 5 Daily Exp bonuses due to that.

I always assumed something like that, even though that only started happening recently maybe a week or two ago.

It was just the coincidence that made me wonder.  So convenient for the abuser getting reported... except that I noticed that his *real* name is available in the replay :)

minneerminneer #4 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 17:36

Major

• Players
  • 42392 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO
More than likely some mod is messing it up used to happen if you had a mod that changed how the after battle report looked

rustyJunk #5 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 17:42

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6159 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC

View Postminneerminneer, on Nov 22 2020 - 10:36, said:

More than likely some mod is messing it up used to happen if you had a mod that changed how the after battle report looked

Could be that too. Except it fails only maybe once in 20-30 matches.

Brynar #6 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 17:43

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 15680 battles
  • [XFBI] XFBI

View Postminneerminneer, on Nov 22 2020 - 17:36, said:

^^^ I'll second that. I was dog fighting a Crommy in my Strv 42 alt 57 and the red contour of the crommy wouldn't appear when I was targeting him. My odds were weak to begin with, but this "bug" clearly contributed to my demise. Support blamed it on XVM and it sounded like they had seen it before. Can't blame them for that. If you run mods assume that is what messes up the game. It was just the single instance in my case. Never saw it before or since.

Edited by Brynar, Nov 22 2020 - 17:44.

Ndtm #7 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 19:35

Major

• Players
  • 17696 battles

I don't see how it could be abused, i don't see a reason for them having changed anything while a match is going, like.. pre anon patch it'd probably be like.. Pick people from queue > send nickname and vehicle data (at first it might just be what tank, don't know when it would send the actual active modules but doesn't matter in this case) for each player to everyone else in the match > play > game end > send battle results and the only real difference needed with the anon update would be to change the nickname that is sent in the second step, but all that is happening on the server there is nothing any of the clients can do about it, and then at the end, once again it's the server that send the battle results and with the anon update they added the eye tag so you could see their actual username..

basically, server picks the name, the server sends the data.. so you'd have to get into the server to "abuse" it, the only option the client has is whether it's on or off  before a battle.. so it just doesn't make any sense for it to be something you can use to break things

rustyJunk #8 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 20:05

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6159 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC

View PostNdtm, on Nov 22 2020 - 12:35, said:

I don't see how it could be abused, i don't see a reason for them having changed anything while a match is going, like.. pre anon patch it'd probably be like.. Pick people from queue > send nickname and vehicle data (at first it might just be what tank, don't know when it would send the actual active modules but doesn't matter in this case) for each player to everyone else in the match > play > game end > send battle results and the only real difference needed with the anon update would be to change the nickname that is sent in the second step, but all that is happening on the server there is nothing any of the clients can do about it, and then at the end, once again it's the server that send the battle results and with the anon update they added the eye tag so you could see their actual username..

basically, server picks the name, the server sends the data.. so you'd have to get into the server to "abuse" it, the only option the client has is whether it's on or off  before a battle.. so it just doesn't make any sense for it to be something you can use to break things

The abuse - if it is happening - would likely be something a DDOS attack to the Player's computers to make them fail to sync with the server.   So, no result screen... and most people would not know the real name of the person they wanted to report.

That is where the replay comes to the rescue, as it gives you the real name of the player.   I used it too for the match I mentioned... and the offender must be kicking himself right now as he enjoys his ban.

_W_R_A_I_T_H_ #9 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 20:09

Major

• Players
  • 50781 battles

It's a common bug with ASLAINS modpack to not see after action reports, sporadically, after a new patch.  If you restart the game client it resolves itself, but then may still come back 5-10 games later until ASLAIN gets it fixed.  

Edited by _W_R_A_I_T_H_, Nov 22 2020 - 20:10.

rustyJunk #10 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 20:11

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6159 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC

View Post_W_R_A_I_T_H_, on Nov 22 2020 - 13:09, said:

It's a common bug with ASLAINS modpack.  

Really?   I must have been lucky, played with it for over 3 months and only saw it this last week or two.

Ndtm #11 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 20:41

Major

• Players
  • 17696 battles

View PostrustyJunk, on Nov 22 2020 - 20:05, said:

The abuse - if it is happening - would likely be something a DDOS attack to the Player's computers to make them fail to sync with the server.   So, no result screen... and most people would not know the real name of the person they wanted to report.

That is where the replay comes to the rescue, as it gives you the real name of the player.   I used it too for the match I mentioned... and the offender must be kicking himself right now as he enjoys his ban.

Except.. all data goes through the server so you can't find out the ip of other players

TeriyakiTanker #12 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 20:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 32833 battles
  • [CLAIM] CLAIM

View PostrustyJunk, on Nov 22 2020 - 11:30, said:

I always assumed something like that, even though that only started happening recently maybe a week or two ago.

It was just the coincidence that made me wonder.  So convenient for the abuser getting reported... except that I noticed that his *real* name is available in the replay :)

That has been an issue ever since I started playing, hasn't happened since I stopped using mods so I am guessing it is an issue with mods.  But regardless nothing new.

TeriyakiTanker #13 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 20:43

Major

• -Players-
  • 32833 battles
  • [CLAIM] CLAIM

View Post_W_R_A_I_T_H_, on Nov 22 2020 - 14:09, said:

It's a common bug with ASLAINS modpack to not see after action reports, sporadically, after a new patch.  If you restart the game client it resolves itself, but then may still come back 5-10 games later until ASLAIN gets it fixed.  

I wouldn't call it common but it would happen on occassion.  I wonder what part of the modpack was causing it.

Siergen #14 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 20:47

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13830 battles
  • [H_FUN] H_FUN
If you are starting to download the after-battle report and then cause the client to interrupt that before it completes (such as entering the battle queue), the your client can no longer access that battle report.  This is with a vanilla client.  It seems that the server gives your client one-shot to download each battle's results - if your client doesn't get the full download, the server does not allow a second attempt.

Kliphie #15 Posted Nov 22 2020 - 21:17

Major

• Players
  • 36720 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostNdtm, on Nov 22 2020 - 13:41, said:

Except.. all data goes through the server so you can't find out the ip of other players

Don't bring facts to a feelz fight

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users