Map Improvement Ideas - Weather & Night Battles?

Maps

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

xXTheGameAceXx #1 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:22

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16116 battles
  • [_WOO_] _WOO_

So after a good while of my other post about bad/disliked maps and fixing them up, I sat thinking for some time and had a few random interesting ideas, and was curious what everyone else would think.

First and foremost, in terms of most maps right now, they need to be overhauled pretty badly. Most are either too small, too cramped, or are just downright miserable for one or multiple tank classes. Or they're simply Fisherman's Bay. But above all else, one of the biggest issues that I believe to be universal to almost all maps, is lack of variety. You always go down the exact same locations as a specific tank class every time on the same map, engaging in the same ways every time. You find your favorite rock to go hull-down behind in the same spot as usual, or the same bush for sniping, or the same building corner to peek around and sidescrape. Rinse and repeat every time for every map. 90% of most maps end up almost entirely unused as a no-man's land, or territory only fit for a light tank. Live Oaks? The center is almost entirely worthless swampland. Go in and get shot to death. Karelia? The center is only fit for lights quickly zipping through to the other side, and most tanks on the west end of the map end up hugging the back towards the border. The east, heavies brawl from a small corner section, peeking to trade shots.

On the other hand, one of the maps I feel has been done well is Pearl River. Almost the entire map can be utilized well, with plenty of room to explore and maneuver around. More maps need to be revamped in such a way. It would be a great start to improving maps. But, as the title of this post implies, there's another idea I have that I thought would be fascinating and give additional variety to maps: What if we had night battles, and maps could feature different forms of weather that would change up how things get played?

Starting with the weather, for example, what about a Sandstorm on desert-based maps? It could lower view range & visibility. High wind effects (in Sandstorm and other storm types) could even slightly affect shell trajectory and some lighter weight tanks.

Or a thunderstorm/heavy rain, that slightly lowers visibility on summer-based maps, and perhaps muddies the terrain making it more slippery. Lightning could also strike from time to time causing damage to buildings and downing trees. Imagine being able to enter the center of the swamp on Live Oaks under cover of heavy rainfall, and actually use it for a crossing or to snipe from.

I won't go into all the other weather concepts, but I think these two alone give a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about.

Then of course the other big idea, Night Battles! I don't think I really have to explain this in too much depth, do I? Basically just the current maps, but with a night-time variation. Buildings in cities with lights glowing, smoldering fires providing light, lesser visibility + view range, and so forth. It could even be potentially coupled with weather, for effects like a dark stormy night.

Heck, imagine other additional effects on maps as well, such as loose rocks that could fall, major buildings taking damage, water levels going up and down, lava flows, and so forth.

I know none of this will probably ever happen, and a lot of you will probably complain about these ideas because complaining is a pastime around here, but I just wanted to daydream a bit I suppose, imagining maps actually being really good.

So what does everyone else think? Good ideas, bad ideas, or do you have any interesting ideas of your own?

Suicidal_Enemy #2 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:27

Major

• Players
  • 51145 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

I love the idea,  

maybe rainy weather, fog and smoke (smoke rounds) etc could have the same effects on the battle field without making it too complicated.

Oxboy1212 #3 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 61003 battles
Isn't it hard enough for the tomatoes to hit their targets in clear weather + daylight?

xXTheGameAceXx #4 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16116 battles
  • [_WOO_] _WOO_

View PostSuicidal_Enemy, on Nov 24 2020 - 16:27, said:

I love the idea,  

maybe rainy weather, fog and smoke etc could have the same effects on the battle field without making it too complicated.

Fog at Fisherman's Bay... Maybe that could make up for the worthless bushes all across the map. :bush:

GWyatt #5 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:38

Captain

• -Players-
  • 5998 battles
  • [VAN] VAN
Not bad ideas at all, but WG devs have stated that they cannot/will not do weather effects like you described any time soon as many/most computers used by players cannot handle the graphics load that would cause. Nice to dream though.

_Red_Saaryn_ #6 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:51

Major

• -Players-
  • 31673 battles
  • [BRU2L] BRU2L
I'm all in for night battles, with night battles we could get a new consumable, flares which we can aim and shot to spot, so instead of fog of war we get darkness

heavymetal1967 #7 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:52

Major

• Players
  • 80400 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

If they add weather/lighting effects I'm guessing they'd be purely cosmetic.  I doubt it would affect game mechanics.  And if it would imagine WG's implementation and handling of them. 

tod914 #8 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:52

Major

• Players
  • 70146 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

Illum rounds to silhouette the targets.  Night battles would be a nice addition.

Spoiler

Edited by tod914, Nov 24 2020 - 22:54.

xXTheGameAceXx #9 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:55

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16116 battles
  • [_WOO_] _WOO_

View PostGWyatt, on Nov 24 2020 - 16:38, said:

Not bad ideas at all, but WG devs have stated that they cannot/will not do weather effects like you described any time soon as many/most computers used by players cannot handle the graphics load that would cause. Nice to dream though.

Bleh, there's gotta be a reasonable way to implement it. Most modern computers should be able to handle it, especially if paired with low graphical settings. Might be able to do it in a variety of ways that would work. Even the possibility of being able to opt out of getting weather battles, similarly to how you can opt out of encounter, iirc.

13Jake55 #10 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 22:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 26217 battles

Most Russian computers do not have ss drives and mega memorkes we have or quality internet. That is what drives this game. While it would be nice they have to design to thier base which is not na server.

Suicidal_Enemy #11 Posted Nov 24 2020 - 23:12

Major

• Players
  • 51145 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

View Postheavymetal1967, on Nov 24 2020 - 17:52, said:

If they add weather/lighting effects I'm guessing they'd be purely cosmetic.  I doubt it would affect game mechanics.  And if it would imagine WG's implementation and handling of them. 

Maybe someone can make a mod so WG doesn't screw it up!

Cowcat137 #12 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 01:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 20260 battles

Great ideas all.  I note that the other tank game just did a major graphics update, despite also having millions of Russian customers. That other game has much bigger maps as well. I would love to know what WoT plans for the next 5 years but they seldom get beyond snippets about map reworks that never get released and the next fictional tank line.

Edited by Cowcat137, Nov 25 2020 - 01:05.

RIA1911 #13 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 01:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7172 battles

So weather effects.

Lower view range

Lower spotting range

As distance increases , the definition of objects goes down and it's harder to see distinctive parts of tanks and other objects(harder to pick out weak spots at distance)

You could add small visuals adjustments not to hurt less capable computers.

Maybe slow tanks down due to weather, harder to control at speed, control lessens as speed increases.

Guess you could also adjust parameters during battle, could change flow of a battle.

I think you would end up with more brawling, maybe more surprises on some maps.

Edited by RIA1911, Nov 25 2020 - 01:10.

xXTheGameAceXx #14 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 01:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 16116 battles
  • [_WOO_] _WOO_

View PostRIA1911, on Nov 24 2020 - 19:08, said:

So weather effects.

Lower view range

Lower spotting range

As distance increases , the definition of objects goes down and it's harder to see distinctive parts of tanks and other objects(harder to pick out weak spots at distance)

You could add small visuals adjustments not to hurt less capable computers.

Maybe slow tanks down due to weather, harder to control at speed, control lessens as speed increases.

Guess you could also adjust parameters during battle, could change flow of a battle.

I think you would end up with more brawling, maybe more surprises on some maps.

Exactly! It could change up the gameplay on maps entirely, making it a completely different experience, and introducing the potential for all sorts of new features/effects! I honestly think if they were able to go forward with the concept, that it'd breathe a lot of new life into the game.

Panzer__Monkey #15 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 02:30

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 14404 battles
  • [RVN-G] RVN-G

I’ve mentioned weather and night battles in the past too. Unfortunately to no effect. 

As for the one claiming most poeples computers cant handle it.... i dotn see why not. World of warships has weather and it works fine. WOW even has storms that move. If you made it mapo wide then the processing would be simple as it really just becoems a modifier on vision.

I.e.     -10% for light rain,  -25% heavy rain,  -50% fog,    -75% night maybe  ....... it should be easy to do and should help those with weak computers since they wouldnt have to process data on the stuff you cant see

bluenose711 #16 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 02:31

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 72975 battles
I like all of those ideas, the maps get stale after a few thousand battles. Another suggestion - just flip the map, make a mirror image of it so that the right side becomes the left. Might throw a few people off and ...... it should be easy for the programmers to do.

Saydzhi #17 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 03:24

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1838 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE
Please no.  Console did weather and night in games and it was pretty bad. 

ammo_magnet #18 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 03:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41994 battles

I wonder how random placements of Bushes and Trees per battle would work.

It would be interesting :)

wooserloop #19 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 04:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11230 battles

View PostGWyatt, on Nov 24 2020 - 13:38, said:

Odd that they do have weather effect in world of warships which in my opinion is more demanding graphics-wise. 

BeastsOfBattle #20 Posted Nov 25 2020 - 05:19

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19640 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Bigger maps, weather and/or night maps, and bring back the climbs/Mountain Goat routes.

Also tagged with Maps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users