Why do people get so upset at bad players?

bad players salt rage chat toxicity

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Red_Iike_Roses #1 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 07:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 13192 battles
  • [T_AA] T_AA

Aighty, basically my question is this; 

why do people get mad enough at bad players that they feel the need to berate them and call them awful things in chat. 

I legitimately do not understand this. 

These people have no idea who's sitting behind the computer at the other end. Not everyone CAN become a unicum. Some people genuinely are learning disabled, have bad reflexes, don't have the time to sit down and study an online game, have terrible internet/a terrible computer, or simply don't care and want to have a little fun. 

They're called random battles for a reason; you get random teammates. If your teammate is awful and feeds the enemy a win, you get fed a win 50% of the time when they're on the other team. 

Genuinely, what is the mindset of this kind of behavior? I don't get it ;-;

(basis for this post is seeing some guy go off on a random in game, calling this poor dude all sorts of terrible things. t'is a game, a free one, my friends...)

TastyPastry #2 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 07:42

Major

• Players
  • 33886 battles
  • [-G-] -G-
It's the anonymity. I think it's also most common with players who are like 5000-7000 PR. They're decent enough to understand a lot about the game, but they're not good enough to be in the highest echelon of players. 

Red_Iike_Roses #3 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 07:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 13192 battles
  • [T_AA] T_AA

View PostTastyPastry, on Nov 26 2020 - 07:42, said:

It's the anonymity. I think it's also most common with players who are like 5000-7000 PR. They're decent enough to understand a lot about the game, but they're not good enough to be in the highest echelon of players. 

I'm sorry I'm a bit slow. 

what's PR? Is it like WN8/WN7?

Gothraul #4 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 08:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 3177 battles
The same reason that people don't like it when someone gets in their way of being able to enjoy the same and bad players more often that not are the cause of preventable losses especially when there is a wave of them be it on weekends and events ect after all who wants 8 or 9 zero damage deaths on their team.

Red_Iike_Roses #5 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 08:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 13192 battles
  • [T_AA] T_AA

View PostGothraul, on Nov 26 2020 - 08:00, said:

The same reason that people don't like it when someone gets in their way of being able to enjoy the same and bad players more often that not are the cause of preventable losses especially when there is a wave of them be it on weekends and events ect after all who wants 8 or 9 zero damage deaths on their team.

But if on the weekends there is a wave of bad players, they must be on the enemy team too. Personally i find it hilarious when both teams are incompetent. It leads to some really funny situations

Pipinghot #6 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 08:09

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 01:34, said:

why do people get mad enough at bad players that they feel the need to berate them and call them awful things in chat. 

It happens in every game with PvP, and in games that are entirely PvP it's worse because people can't vent their frustrations by playing PvE battles to make themselves feel better.

Most of it comes from people who think they're better at the game than they really are, so they're convinced that they deserve to win more often. This can be a person at any skill level, it could be a bad player who doesn't want to believe they're bad so they blame their "bad teams", it could be an average person who thinks they're above average, it could even be a good player who thinks they're even more-good than they are.

Now here's something that may not be obvious to you if you don't use XVM to see the skill colors of the players, it comes a lot more from from red/yellow/green players. Why? Because the blue & purple players are usually too busy staying alive and winning the battle to bother with harassing their teammates. Good players don't earn high win rates by spending their time arguing with their teammates, they have better things to do. It's more noticeable when it comes from good players, because there's a tendency for people to care more when a good player does it, but just in terms of the raw numbers there is a lot more angry spewing from bad & average players than from good ones.

Just as with any sport or game, no one likes to lose, and behind anonymous behind a keyboard leads to people having more tantrums than they would if they were playing a real game and being face-to-face with their teammates.

LittlePinkBunny #7 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 08:18

Private

• Players
  • 442 battles

View PostTastyPastry, on Nov 26 2020 - 06:42, said:

this made me spit Dr. Pepper all over my screen .....   :facepalm:

LOL someone needs to learn a little humility

Red_Iike_Roses #8 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 08:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 13192 battles
  • [T_AA] T_AA

View PostPipinghot, on Nov 26 2020 - 08:09, said:

It happens in every game with PvP, and in games that are entirely PvP it's worse because people can't vent their frustrations by playing PvE battles to make themselves feel better.

Most of it comes from people who think they're better at the game than they really are, so they're convinced that they deserve to win more often. This can be a person at any skill level, it could be a bad player who doesn't want to believe they're bad so they blame their "bad teams", it could be an average person who thinks they're above average, it could even be a good player who thinks they're even more-good than they are.

Now here's something that may not be obvious to you if you don't use XVM to see the skill colors of the players, it comes a lot more from from red/yellow/green players. Why? Because the blue & purple players are usually too busy staying alive and winning the battle to bother with harassing their teammates. Good players don't earn high win rates by spending their time arguing with their teammates, they have better things to do. It's more noticeable when it comes from good players, because there's a tendency for people to care more when a good player does it, but just in terms of the raw numbers there is a lot more angry spewing from bad & average players than from good ones.

Just as with any sport or game, no one likes to lose, and behind anonymous behind a keyboard leads to people having more tantrums than they would if they were playing a real game and being face-to-face with their teammates.

but why go to the extent to shout things in chat at your team? As you say, if you wanna get better, focus on yourself.

i dont understand the mindset

Fartnado #9 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 08:46

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 10022 battles

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 01:22, said:

but why go to the extent to shout things in chat at your team? As you say, if you wanna get better, focus on yourself.

Most probably have chat turned off anyway.  I have since about battle 100.  Love it.

Let the angry people scream into the wind.

ErnieWrecker #10 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 09:02

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12522 battles
  • [AVNGE] AVNGE

Because its suppose to be a "team game", or so they say. Nevertheless, I can't imagine how this is suppose to be if individuals are free to play however they like, regardless of how detrimental it may be for the rest of the team, and not receive "any kind of criticism" for it from their teammates. So technically, I can play a light tank and sit red-line behind our base or spawn point and the rest of the team should be all smiles and such. Never mind the fact they'll be getting out-spotted and blown to bits because my V8 tomato-styling self chooses not to be part of the team. Just turn that frown upside down.

When you lose, it means less credits & experience for your crews, so if someone is on a losing streak from blowouts/lopsided matches, its not surprising some will go off in chat about it at bad players who obviously don't care. The way I see it, if they don't care and just want to troll matches, why do they even bother playing WoT??

ErnieWrecker #11 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 09:06

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12522 battles
  • [AVNGE] AVNGE

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 08:22, said:

Eventually they won't be able to participate in any chat, so why worry about it? Imo, they should just remove chat in random matches altogether since its pointless to have it.

ErnieWrecker #12 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 09:19

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 12522 battles
  • [AVNGE] AVNGE

View PostLittlePinkBunny, on Nov 26 2020 - 08:18, said:

this made me spit Dr. Pepper all over my screen .....   :facepalm:

LOL someone needs to learn a little humility

No, someone needs to get out in the sun(and possibly a job) instead of sitting in front of a computer playing WoT all day & night on someone else's dime. It's certainly not an existence I would envy just to be in the "highest enchilada of players". :teethhappy:

Red_Iike_Roses #13 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 11:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 13192 battles
  • [T_AA] T_AA

View PostErnieWrecker, on Nov 26 2020 - 09:02, said:

Because its suppose to be a "team game", or so they say. Nevertheless, I can't imagine how this is suppose to be if individuals are free to play however they like, regardless of how detrimental it may be for the rest of the team, and not receive "any kind of criticism" for it from their teammates. So technically, I can play a light tank and sit red-line behind our base or spawn point and the rest of the team should be all smiles and such. Never mind the fact they'll be getting out-spotted and blown to bits because my V8 tomato-styling self chooses not to be part of the team. Just turn that frown upside down.

When you lose, it means less credits & experience for your crews, so if someone is on a losing streak from blowouts/lopsided matches, its not surprising some will go off in chat about it at bad players who obviously don't care. The way I see it, if they don't care and just want to troll matches, why do they even bother playing WoT??

I'm not saying that your team should be all smiles and such when a bad player camps in A1 all game. What I AM saying is that ignoring and reporting would do the same thing as going "YOU USELESS NOOB GO F*** PLAY TETRIS" or something similar. AFK/Botting is against TOS at WG. Provided that you actually do something from your hypothetical "red line light tank" gameplay (something as in at least one shot of damage), I probably wouldn't even notice. 

That being said, if someone that has no clue how to light tank wants to YOLO in and die, be my guest. They have an equal chance of being on the enemy team too, remember. So long as they aren't AFK/Botting and they aren't actively griefing (eg; pushing friendly teammates out/into water), then yes you should be all smiles and such. Some people may find playing badly in World of Tanks amusing; who am I to judge what people enjoy? Let people be bad at the game. If you want to be ultra competitive, go play ranked or CW, teams there perform way better than randoms. 

It does nothing to shout at people in chat about being bad. I've personally found that focusing on your own in game performance makes those losses into wins more often than calling other people morons

Pipinghot #14 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 11:49

Major

• Players
  • 25960 battles
  • [IOC] IOC

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 02:22, said:

View PostPipinghot, on Nov 26 2020 - 08:09, said:

Like I said, some people want to blame their teams, something other than themselves. "Focusing on yourself" requires accepting responsibility for their own performance.

rustyJunk #15 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 12:40

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6241 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC

I cannot explain why *other* people get upset at bad players, I only know why they bother me and why they don't:

It does not bother me (while I know it bothers many):

• That they throw the matches.
  • That they play their tanks *not* according to its role.
  • That they camp (although I must confess that when *everyone* camps the redline it does indeed bug me).
  • That they don't care about winning, only about having a good time.  Heck, I don't care about winning either, I will take it when it happens but I don't really pursue it.

It does bother me:

• That they yolo and die in less than 1-3 minutes.
  • That they lemming all in the same direction.
  • That they push me out of position because they think it is fun, not realizing or caring that they will get banned for it.
  • That they see me camping a bush back enough to not be spotted and they just drive in front of me to camp the bush hugging it, blocking my view, and getting killed ruining the bush after they fire once.
  • That they will park or follow me so close that I can't maneouver and get killed.
  • That when I wait and intentionally go AWAY from whatever direction they take, they turn around and then come following me like pupplies, even when I ask them to stop doing  it.

I know that many players rely on tomatoes to build up their precious stats, but I would rather have an enjoyable and challenging match than the easy kills and sleepy teammates that allow for better stats.

To be honest, I would be the happiest person if I never had to see a single red or orange player in my team and might even buy a Premium Account for that privilege.   I would love it if they made separate queues (even just two queues by tank PR - upper and lower - or even a self-adjusting set of queues) like they had (probably as a test) in SA low tiers for a few months, although I don't see highly skilled players accept such a thing unless they got both better rewards and some kind of recognition for their skill... like the upper leagues in real sports.

Suicidal_Enemy #16 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 12:59

Major

• Players
  • 51130 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

I stared doing that after I joined a clan and everything was about stats,

ditched them and chat.

Life is much better :)

FrozenKemp #17 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 13:19

Major

• Players
  • 57906 battles
  • [ALLY] ALLY
I would say... Because people get frustrated. For sure over time whether you get better or worse teams evens out. But that doesn't change the fact that if you're playing for only an hour (say) you might have nothing but a string of losses and get all tilted.

IndygoEEI #18 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 13:25

Major

• Players
  • 67944 battles
  • [NA-CL] NA-CL

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 05:36, said:

I'm not saying that your team should be all smiles and such when a bad player camps in A1 all game. What I AM saying is that ignoring and reporting would do the same thing as going "YOU USELESS NOOB GO F*** PLAY TETRIS" or something similar.

As a side note, Competitive Tetris is brutal.  This is very true for the NES Version...

Suicidal_Enemy #19 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 16:30

Major

• Players
  • 51130 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

View PostIndygoEEI, on Nov 26 2020 - 08:25, said:

As a side note, Competitive Tetris is brutal.  This is very true for the NES Version...

and I thought playing squash was fast o.o that will give me a seizure.

bake3020 #20 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 16:55

Captain

• Players
  • 134 battles

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 06:34, said:

These people have no idea who's sitting behind the computer at the other end. Not everyone CAN become a unicum. Some people genuinely are learning disabled, have bad reflexes, don't have the time to sit down and study an online game, have terrible internet/a terrible computer, or simply don't care and want to have a little fun. 

They're called random battles for a reason; you get random teammates. If your teammate is awful and feeds the enemy a win, you get fed a win 50% of the time when they're on the other team. 

Genuinely, what is the mindset of this kind of behavior? I don't get it ;-;

(basis for this post is seeing some guy go off on a random in game, calling this poor dude all sorts of terrible things. t'is a game, a free one, my friends...)

Truthfully because it reminds them of what they once were but what they still are, when compared to others that are better than them.  It's a glaring thorn in the side for them to acknowledge still, to this day.  I am comfortable with it as I learned to accept that I will never be a great player, it's just not in the cards so I just do the best I can.

Also tagged with bad, players, salt, rage, chat, toxicity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users