Why do people get so upset at bad players?

bad players salt rage chat toxicity

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Sly_Rascal #21 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 17:19

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2436 battles
This will always happen when you mix highly competitive types and those that play for fun and couldn't care less on stats and the outcome

ArmorStorm #22 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:10

Major

• Players
  • 40848 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 00:34, said:

Aighty, basically my question is this; 

why do people get mad enough at bad players that they feel the need to berate them and call them awful things in chat. 

I legitimately do not understand this. 

These people have no idea who's sitting behind the computer at the other end. Not everyone CAN become a unicum. Some people genuinely are learning disabled, have bad reflexes, don't have the time to sit down and study an online game, have terrible internet/a terrible computer, or simply don't care and want to have a little fun. 

They're called random battles for a reason; you get random teammates. If your teammate is awful and feeds the enemy a win, you get fed a win 50% of the time when they're on the other team. 

Genuinely, what is the mindset of this kind of behavior? I don't get it ;-;

(basis for this post is seeing some guy go off on a random in game, calling this poor dude all sorts of terrible things. t'is a game, a free one, my friends...)

Guys who are hypercompetitve types will invest too much of their self-worth into the results of a game, even a silly game like this one with RNG, magic repairs, magic healing, hit points and everything else.  It's not that kind of activity really, but those guys like to assert their dominance (often because they have no real life skills or achievements) over others.  Just ignore them and realize that you are a healthier individual for recognizing that this is a game and not anything deserving of serious attention.

Kliphie #23 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:15

Major

• Players
  • 37459 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
I have no issues criticizing the play. It’s classless to attack the player. 

rustyJunk #24 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:33

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6241 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC
Ultimately I think the anger is really directed at WG for putting them with and against bad players, not really against the players per se.

dunniteowl #25 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 33308 battles

When in game, I offer no insults or criticisms that are not already well deserved via actions and chat.  Those are rare.

In game, talk very little.  I'm busy.  What I communicate has to be relevant or it doesn't happen.

Bad players are the reason that some good players are so good.  On a scale, it really can make it seem a big difference.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

_VIBECHECK_ #26 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8501 battles
  • [NHF] NHF

View PostErnieWrecker, on Nov 26 2020 - 09:19, said:

No, someone needs to get out in the sun(and possibly a job) instead of sitting in front of a computer playing WoT all day & night on someone else's dime. It's certainly not an existence I would envy just to be in the "highest enchilada of players". :teethhappy:

I work in an ER for 12 hours then come home and play better than you ever have so maybe it's more about inherent talent than whatever scapegoat excuse you have for being bad

goldfinger_555 #27 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:50

Captain

• Players
  • 28131 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC

To the question about why they complain in chat, I think it all comes down to they don't have anything of importance in their life. This GAME is it for them. If you have a job and family than you appreciate every moment you have playing a game. If its a 0-15 lose than you don't care cause real life is waiting after you turn off the computer. 

This is relaxation for most of us adults.

MissCreant #28 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:51

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 10304 battles
  • [TINDR] TINDR

I started to make an honest reply to this...but then when thinking about it I realize that I yell at people frequently...but I don't seem to mind the vast majority.  Sure it is irritating to have people behave like newbs even though they have a bazillion battles but I know people have mental issues, or they are old and so not much there ;) anymore,  handicapped, just not that bright/can't learn etc, 

So what sets me off?  (and I do get set off) are these same people...who then criticize/yell/berate their teammates.  EXCUSE ME!  When you do this you are describing yourself!  Things like 'useless team' - from a 45%er.  Yes, it is a useless team BECAUSE YOU ARE ON IT!  You get the idea.  If you really want to get me going, insult or berate a teammate that is doing good!  This happens more than you think.

Related but not the same, are bad players acting like they are knowledgeable and giving advice.  I do believe they are good-hearted, but your advice is ALMOST ALWAYS WRONG!  Unless you have AT LEAST a 50% win rate...enjoy the game but realize you are completely unqualified to give advice'  If you must give your thoughts, make it seem like it is.  Say "Maybe you should...." or "What about....".  If you sound knowledgeable then people might actual listen to you and, again, your advice is almost always bad.

The above two provoke the most ire from me in-game chat and in PMs.

I toon with anyone who asks, assuming I am not already in a toon...so I platoon with some bad players.  I am ok with this.  However, what sets me off is if a toonmate does something very dumb...then does it again...or refuses to accept the advice.  Heaven forbid, they say something like "I am just having fun" and I will dump them like a hot potato.  I am having fun to but I am trying to win and learn.  It is not mutually exclusive.  You can keep playing, but not in my platoon and hopefully on the enemy team.

Edited by MissCreant, Nov 26 2020 - 18:52.

BEASTY_BUCKEYE #29 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 18:53

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 44767 battles

View PostRed_Iike_Roses, on Nov 26 2020 - 00:34, said:

Aighty, basically my question is this; 

why do people get mad enough at bad players that they feel the need to berate them and call them awful things in chat. 

I legitimately do not understand this. 

These people have no idea who's sitting behind the computer at the other end. Not everyone CAN become a unicum. Some people genuinely are learning disabled, have bad reflexes, don't have the time to sit down and study an online game, have terrible internet/a terrible computer, or simply don't care and want to have a little fun. 

They're called random battles for a reason; you get random teammates. If your teammate is awful and feeds the enemy a win, you get fed a win 50% of the time when they're on the other team. 

Genuinely, what is the mindset of this kind of behavior? I don't get it ;-;

(basis for this post is seeing some guy go off on a random in game, calling this poor dude all sorts of terrible things. t'is a game, a free one, my friends...)

You are taking it to heart, and you should not do that. Most of the players that vent in chat, don't mean anything by it. Its not personal as you are taking it. There just upset they lost and are venting, its only human nature to want to win. Losing sucks. No matter what the stage is clan wars or random battles its all the same for some. Its just the competitive nature in some players. If it bothers you that much, then turn chat off. Or grow some skin man.

_VIBECHECK_ #30 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 19:10

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8501 battles
  • [NHF] NHF
What grinds my gears is watching low performance players live out this mental fantasy where being bad at the game means they're "well adjusted" and anyone that plays better than them has no actual skills. Just admit that you're bad dude there's nothing wrong with being bad, but the mental gymnastics are embarrassing to watch

dunniteowl #31 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 19:32

Major

• -Players-
  • 33308 battles

View Post_VIBECHECK_, on Nov 26 2020 - 12:10, said:

What grinds my gears is watching low performance players live out this mental fantasy where being bad at the game means they're "well adjusted" and anyone that plays better than them has no actual skills. Just admit that you're bad dude there's nothing wrong with being bad, but the mental gymnastics are embarrassing to watch

So?  Let them have their fantasy.  At that point, it's not about you, me or even the game, its all about them and there's nothing any of us got to do with that.  

No use getting bent or crooked over it, right?  I usually just shrug and sigh, tell myself, "Well, you better step up, son," then see what I can do to make the situation better for me.

I just do NOT have time to yell at my team mates.  I'm busy trying to:

Survive

Do Damage

Help My Team

during the course of a match and if I have time to chat snippy replies, then I must not be:

Doing Damage, because I'm too busy typing my fingers off in chat.  That tells me to get my butt going and leave that other crap for the folks that don't want to win.

It's the best you can do: doing you.  When the Brown 25 hits the ventilator blades, you better be wearing a face mask and a rubber suit.  If you ain't got those, then at least keep your head and make the Red Team PAY for taking YOU down.

And, most importantly, don't let the game get to you.  It's just that last match, or that last little (or long) losing streak and you just have to shake it off, because it IS just a game and so you don't have to keep holding on to the disappointment of a 4 to 15 minute slice of your leisure time.  You gonna let that little bit ruin the rest of it?

You see, I believe that you -- not the game, not someone else, not arty, not EBRs (got one last night in my JgPzIV, very satisfying) -- get to choose whether or not you're having fun.  Not Decide, like there's this set of choices in front of you and you have to pick one or the other.   No.  You CHOOSE to be in a state where you can be entertained and engaged by the game or you CHOOSE to be in a state that anyone could point to and say, "Not fun, not that, no, sir." 

This choice is a mental state of mind wherein you can handle disappointment in the game, because where else is there a better learning environment in which to deal with disappointment, when a unicum STILL loses 4 out of every 10 matches or so?  We all lose games, no matter how good we are and the more we lose the better we should be at taking it with some grace.

Except we're not Wired for that.  We're wired to be mad about being 'not good' and we are also wired to find ways in our minds to ease that pain of disappointment.  The primary 'go-to' mental trick is that of rationalization of your disappointment to an external force that you can focus your grief and upset upon as 'THAT' being the cause of your frustration.  Us humans are a pretty screwy bunch sometimes.

Don't get mad at team mates who do not know how to play as well as you do.  You have to learn to readjust your in-game "team" mate perspective that assesses their potential beneficial level of skill/help they might be able to provide and then use that to your best advantage.

Complaining does not advance any of my in-game objectives.  Getting mad doesn't help me, either.  They rob me of my focus on playing MY best and doing what I can to obtain a win, despite what I might think of their ability.  Observe, integrate, plan and act.

In the meantime, I do my best to find those moments and learn to find the humor in that moment when those are the moments where it seems loss and destruction are just as inevitable as the next breath you take.

And it's JUST a game.  If you find yourself being a bit upset, angry, mad at your team mates, it's probably a really good time to take a break.  None of that is fun, as far as I've experienced.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Nov 26 2020 - 19:37.

ShadowDancer27 #32 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 20:43

Major

• Players
  • 38648 battles

Because when you play the game competently, like say spotting a bed of TD's and their reaction is to back out of draw range and hide behind a rock that stead of firing, and then they lose all of their hit points at the end of the stomp wagging their gun indecisively between the storming tanks...you can't imagine why they play.

Imagine a simpler game, perhaps pinball.  A guy puts in his quarter, shoots the ball up, and doesn't even flip the flippers.  Now imagine it's a team game and that guy is on your team.

Bacillus27 #33 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 20:47

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19283 battles
A lot of the fun is dependent on the players.  When the player base is filled with absolute crap like this game, you have your answer.   Take last 2 days... started playing both days went 0 for 3 with all of them losing blowouts.  Both days, I said F-it and logged off to play another game.  

_Iver_ #34 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 20:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15760 battles

View PostBacillus27, on Nov 26 2020 - 14:47, said:

A lot of the fun is dependent on the players.  When the player base is filled with absolute crap like this game, you have your answer.   Take last 2 days... started playing both days went 0 for 3 with all of them losing blowouts.  Both days, I said F-it and logged off to play another game.  

But. But.But.  You're the only common denominator causing these losses.......git gud.....try hardr.....carry moar. 

Whyld #35 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 21:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33406 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
When players join a team game and then make zero effort to contribute, they should hear from their teammates.  This lack of effort is deeply selfish and shows a lack of self awareness.  It’s disrespectful of the other 14 peoples time.  If a player can’t make even a minimal amount of effort, they need to stick to low tiers or single player games.

Queencantchooseaname #36 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 21:38

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 6370 battles

I wouldn't say I get mad...some times frustrated and will talk to my monitor and be like, "whaaa." Though I don't understand people that flip a lid in chat or send nasty PM's. It's rude and uncalled for. Where my frustrations lie are when I see a team mate doing something obviously stupid and nothing to help the rest of the team. Example being...scouts who don't scout and zoom into front lines just to die. You're team relies on them to keep the enemy spotted so when they do that it's annoying and makes the match more difficult than needed. Hence...frustration. A BIG frustration is that WoT Youtube puts out video tutorials on how to play your tank and it's obvious no one watches them. They give a lot of helpful information that seemingly no one cares to learn.  

Now, to be fair a "bad" player isn't worth getting mad at. Not everyone is gonna be super awesome and amazing and carry the team. There's a lot going on in matches as well and maybe your team mate saw something you didn't. Who knows...

Also, I am sure plenty of people here would consider me a "bad" player as well. Only advice I can offer is to learn your tank and check out the WoT videos for extra help. Will it save you from people raging at you if things go south? No, of course not but at least you're doing your best. 

Gotta remember the game is free. The Game is made to have fun. The game contains real people on the other side of the screen so be a good sport. 

ArmorStorm #37 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 21:47

Major

• Players
  • 40848 battles
  • [F__R] F__R

View Post_VIBECHECK_, on Nov 26 2020 - 12:10, said:

Its not being bad that makes one well-adjusted.  It’s being able to properly assign importance to things in your life.  If this game is so important to your sense of self worth (not yours specifically) that you rage at and abuse other human beings over their performance in a public free to play game then perhaps you are not that “well-adjusted”.   Again, I don’t mean you in particular.  I don’t know you from Adam. 

1LT_Dwayne #38 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 21:52

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5766 battles

View PostKliphie, on Nov 26 2020 - 18:15, said:

I have no issues criticizing the play. It’s classless to attack the player. 

View Postgoldfinger_555, on Nov 26 2020 - 18:50, said:

To the question about why they complain in chat, I think it all comes down to they don't have anything of importance in their life. This GAME is it for them. If you have a job and family than you appreciate every moment you have playing a game. If its a 0-15 lose than you don't care cause real life is waiting after you turn off the computer. 

This is relaxation for most of us adults.

These two points are probably the best simple answers for your question. Sadly I don't have anything of real importance in my life(no girlfriend or kids) and I can sometimes be a [edited]to people. If only a sage person would come to me and give me the answer how to never insult people.

rustyJunk #39 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 22:14

Captain

• -Players-
  • 6241 battles
  • [CAPAC] CAPAC

View PostWhyld, on Nov 26 2020 - 14:23, said:

When players join a team game and then make zero effort to contribute, they should hear from their teammates.  This lack of effort is deeply selfish and shows a lack of self awareness.  It’s disrespectful of the other 14 peoples time.  If a player can’t make even a minimal amount of effort, they need to stick to low tiers or single player games.

You should aim your complaint at WG.  These players are NOT joining a team... they are entering a random game for their own personal enjoyment.  These players have zero responsibility towards the other 14 players.   If WG cared or wanted a team game it would not have put the 3-year old pewee league player with pro gamers.

Bacillus27 #40 Posted Nov 26 2020 - 22:18

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 19283 battles

View PostrustyJunk, on Nov 26 2020 - 22:14, said:

You should aim your complaint at WG.  These players are NOT joining a team... they are entering a random game for their own personal enjoyment.  These players have zero responsibility towards the other 14 players.   If WG cared or wanted a team game it would not have put the 3-year old pewee league player with pro gamers.

Vote with your time and wallet.  If WG cant address it, play something else and dont spend a single dime on this game. 

Also tagged with bad, players, salt, rage, chat, toxicity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users