The Power of Selfishness

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

swisstankmaster #1 Posted Feb 23 2021 - 03:20

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9411 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

The battlefield maps were designed with tank types in mind. Some maps favor some type tanks (e.g., city maps favor heavies, while open maps favor lights and arties), but ultimately, every map has key locations designed for each tank. And in most cases, you see heavies driving to the heavy brawling spot, while lights go to the open fields to light things up for TDs and arties. Basic, right?

Well, not so much. How many times have you seen a heavy driving into the open field, or camping in the rear? What about the med that sits next to arty? Or my favorite: The kamikaze arty that drives up and well... gets destroyed in a few seconds. In any case, what happens to your team when these things happen? When players don't follow the design strategy of the map? Most of the time, you lose.

When tanks go where they are supposed to, most battles end up being close, no matter the skill level of players. But good luck meeting players who follow the design of the map...

And so, I argue that to have fun, you need to be selfish too. If you are a heavy, and find yourself driving to the "heavy spot" alone, stop and camp. If you are a light, and realize that no one is getting into a sniping position, stop and turn back. I've turned off the battle chat, and started playing selfishly. I've noticed that I feel more at peace, and actually perform better. I don't win more or fewer battles, but I am having more fun. Selfishness is the way to go!

Gothraul #2 Posted Feb 23 2021 - 03:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 3177 battles
Just got to say it that many of the brawling spots meant for heavies are pretty much crap due to being open to sky cancer and occasionally TDs from the back of the map. Pretty tired that flex play for mediums and scouts is excessively punished so one is again forced into just playing a couple of safe spots on any given map while still being focused by cancer. Pretty tired of the current map design and want for there to be more room to move around as well better brawls that are generally more enjoyable.

swisstankmaster #3 Posted Feb 24 2021 - 00:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 9411 battles
  • [THUGZ] THUGZ

View PostGothraul, on Feb 23 2021 - 03:44, said:

Just got to say it that many of the brawling spots meant for heavies are pretty much crap due to being open to sky cancer and occasionally TDs from the back of the map. Pretty tired that flex play for mediums and scouts is excessively punished so one is again forced into just playing a couple of safe spots on any given map while still being focused by cancer. Pretty tired of the current map design and want for there to be more room to move around as well better brawls that are generally more enjoyable.

I agree. The maps are too "in your face" or pushy, except for a very few exceptions. I think we would all love to have a map that offers flexibility to players - maybe a completely city map with lots of cover? Or the opposite - a flat map with no cover. Then again, arty exists... and so... *sigh* 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users