What sCrew 2.0 means for oldtimers, a picture guide

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

PTwr #1 Posted Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Major

• Players
  • 50895 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

So you have been here for 10 years, got few dozen thousand battles under your belt, hundreds of tanks in garage, dozens of well trained crews, and lots of junk you forgot about.

You wanna know what you will get for sCrew 2.0? Take a look:

First you'll get tons of books made out of skin of those useless "free 100%" crews you keep stuffed in tanks. Finally some use out of those orphaned radio operators.

Spoiler

Then you'll get crew space for all of your tanks and empty garage slots.

Spoiler

If you ever bought barracks slots, instead of keeping spare crews in low tier trash, you'll get some Retraining tickets. Basically credits per barrack extension.

Spoiler

Those weird directive thingies you never bothered to learn about get converted for a third time

Spoiler

And then you got rewarded for all the time and monies you spent on game. About 150 Instructors. About 40 of them are event/xmass/twitch characters, rest are 0-skill BiA guys and girls you bought or ground.

Spoiler

So basically, the more you have now, the more you will have after update. Nothing is really lost here.

But wait! Because you already had dozens of good crews before Girls came to game you have bunch of "vanity crews" build solely out of 0-skill! What happens?!

You run to find your all-girl crew and see that they are still ready for combat

Spoiler

When converting to sCrew 2.0 you get both crew and senpais.

0-skills are not converted to new skill points. Conversion is based on total crew xp, and 0-skills simply equals to 0xp. However each 0-skill crewmate is converted into senpai.

Its a significant hit to amount of skills you can pick, but... each senpai gives between 2 to 3 extra points, for total up to 12 (and crew xp boost).

WG tried to make it fair, whether its good for your case... well, depends on your situation.

Spoiler

I'll post more images once Imgur lets me upload moar. 

gpc_4 #2 Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Major

• -Players-
  • 48437 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X
Fine with most of it except my 0th skill BIA crews not counting the 0th skill in the conversion. Those crew members were earned or paid for and that BIA should count.

ratpak #3 Posted Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 32172 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM
are all the crews you have for each nation still in that nation or are they all free to be put in any nation you choose?

ez_money #4 Posted Yesterday, 11:45 PM

Major

• Players
  • 16504 battles
  • [P-IMP] P-IMP

Went through the process you depicted earlier. I have always been in favor of the "single commander" configuration, but I think they left the process a little too involved, considering part of the goal was to simplify things (yeah, we know WG's definition of simplification).

Took me about ten minutes to reconfigure just one crew and a couple of instructors for them. I am sure that it will get easier after some hand-on experience, but I'm not convinced just yet. Especially since I am anticipating that when I get a chance to actually play some battles, that I will probably not notice any difference at all in the vehicle's performance with the new crew scheme.

Kefic #5 Posted Yesterday, 11:48 PM

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17089 battles
  • [ULFR] ULFR

View Postez_money, on Feb 23 2021 - 14:45, said:

Went through the process you depicted earlier. I have always been in favor of the "single commander" configuration, but I think they left the process a little too involved, considering part of the goal was to simplify things (yeah, we know WG's definition of simplification).

Took me about ten minutes to reconfigure just one crew and a couple of instructors for them. I am sure that it will get easier after some hand-on experience, but I'm not convinced just yet. Especially since I am anticipating that when I get a chance to actually play some battles, that I will probably not notice any difference at all in the vehicle's performance with the new crew scheme.

I am noticing massive differences in my vehicles.

Butknuckle #6 Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Major

• Players
  • 60328 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

This made me smile:

"Those weird directive thingies you never bothered to learn about get converted for a third time"

PTwr #7 Posted Today, 12:06 AM

Major

• Players
  • 50895 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View Postgpc_4, on Feb 23 2021 - 22:31, said:

Fine with most of it except my 0th skill BIA crews not counting the 0th skill in the conversion. Those crew members were earned or paid for and that BIA should count.

You keep every BiA crew you bought as "Instructor".

Each standard BiA Senpai gives +2 skill points and +10% crew xp.

If you apply Senpais back to their own sCrew it more or less evens out as far as Skill Points go, and you also get up to +40% crew xp (0-skill is effectively +100% as it halves xp cost of each skill). 

Whether it is fair or not, lets not discuss it in this thread as I want to avoid getting it deleted once peps start screaming at each other :]

Spoiler

View Postratpak, on Feb 23 2021 - 22:32, said:

are all the crews you have for each nation still in that nation or are they all free to be put in any nation you choose?

Crews are still nation locked, no change here.

Reservists used to create Crew 2.0 from scratch are nation-locked, as they are just your old crew hidden in barracks.

Unused Senpais are not tied by silly concept of nationality, they are all in single giant pool.

But once you assign them, they get nation-locked.

You can dismiss Senpai for free, but you gotta wait 7 days to use them. Or just pay 200g.

Spoiler

View Postez_money, on Feb 23 2021 - 22:45, said:

Conversion from multi-crew to only-commander must be involved. Automated process would sCrew us over greatly.

Major change is ability to train crew for three tech tree tanks, so oldtimers like me have lots to tinker about. (Eg. I can now unify Maus and E-100 crews, or keep one crew per line).

Remember however, that crew can only make use of tanks of same class. If you want to re-class your crew, they will forget all previously trained tonks.

Spoiler

View PostKefic, on Feb 23 2021 - 22:48, said:

I am noticing massive differences in my vehicles.

There are significant changes in skills, some are gone, some are new, some are weaker, some are stronger. There are some interesting min/max possibilities there.

I won't get in-depth on them, as there are bunch of peeps crunching numbers already.

I'll just say that I like skill suggestion feature, it will help some newbies. Once you get through converting crew to 2.0 its not bad as far as WG UI's go.

Spoiler

Edited by PTwr, Today, 12:18 AM.

PTwr #8 Posted Today, 12:15 AM

Major

• Players
  • 50895 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Dumb Things To Do in Crew 2.0

I tested a bit more, and you can do some dumb things:

1. Train crew for premium tank, it will cost 375g to teach them first tech tree tank. 

There warning note that its not recommended, but does not explain why exactly. 

There appears to be no limit or costs for crew switch. (Maybe you won't be able to do it while they are in battle, but thats to be expected)

Spoiler

2. Train two crews for single tank.

Once you select crew, you get small Crew Replacement button.

Spoiler

3. Train crew for tank not in garage, or not even researched.

Wait, thats not stupid. Thats wise use of discounts!

Anyway, there are no problems to assign crew in advance.

Edited by PTwr, Today, 12:19 AM.

NavyGuns45 #9 Posted Today, 12:26 AM

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 54912 battles
  • [EMAIL] EMAIL

I have over 600 tanks in my garage.  I am not looking forward to the time it will take me to dig out from this "improvement."

PTwr #10 Posted Today, 12:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 50895 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Crew multiplication

As I predicted, and some peps already confirmed. You can take your old 6-man crew and turn it into 3 sCrews without loss of crew xp.

Coupled with ability to train sCrew for 3 tech tree tanks, you can man 9 tanks with single old crew.

1. Find some 2-crew low tier trash, and convert two guys to it. Their job does not matter, qualification change includes retraining for same price as retraining (200g).

Spoiler

2. Convert each of them to sCrew 2.0 for grand total of 6x200 = 1200g

Spoiler

3. Train them to target tanks. 3x750 if class change is required, 2x750 if you actually want to play that low tier trash

Spoiler

4. Total cost:

2650g to man 3 tanks with 2 guys. 1900g if your crew-hatchery is a keeper. 2275 if you retrain primary tank to same class.

7950g to man 9 tanks with 6 guys.

5. List of 2-crew trash cans:

Italy: Fiat 3000

Sweden: None. Strv m/38 is 3-crew, but you might use your high tiers instead. You can use it to craft crew out of orphaned mid-tier crewmates.

Poland: 4TP, TKS 20

Japan: R. Otsu

China: NC-31

Czechoslovakia: Kolohousenka

UK: Manticore. Valentine and Setter+ got 3-crew, finally a reason to grind Mantie? :D

France: Renault FT and ELC Bis

USA: T1 Cunningham

Germany: Pz.Kpfw. I Ausf. C (Collectors Tank)

USSR: MS-1, T-60

Edited by PTwr, Today, 12:40 AM.

SKurj #11 Posted Today, 01:27 AM

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16862 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ

thanks for this...  its an awful lot to consume...  and so far i don't get it ...

Gothraul #12 Posted Today, 01:35 AM

Major

• -Players-
  • 3177 battles
This change is the most furious pounding in the rear for the players I've ever seen in all my years of online gaming. Great way to lose 30-50% the player base should such go through someday.

gpc_4 #13 Posted Today, 01:48 AM

Major

• -Players-
  • 48437 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostPTwr, on Feb 24 2021 - 00:06, said:

You keep every BiA crew you bought as "Instructor".

Each standard BiA Senpai gives +2 skill points and +10% crew xp.

If you apply Senpais back to their own sCrew it more or less evens out as far as Skill Points go, and you also get up to +40% crew xp (0-skill is effectively +100% as it halves xp cost of each skill). 

Whether it is fair or not, lets not discuss it in this thread as I want to avoid getting it deleted once peps start screaming at each other :]

Spoiler

Crews are still nation locked, no change here.

Reservists used to create Crew 2.0 from scratch are nation-locked, as they are just your old crew hidden in barracks.

Unused Senpais are not tied by silly concept of nationality, they are all in single giant pool.

But once you assign them, they get nation-locked.

You can dismiss Senpai for free, but you gotta wait 7 days to use them. Or just pay 200g.

Spoiler

Conversion from multi-crew to only-commander must be involved. Automated process would sCrew us over greatly.

Major change is ability to train crew for three tech tree tanks, so oldtimers like me have lots to tinker about. (Eg. I can now unify Maus and E-100 crews, or keep one crew per line).

Remember however, that crew can only make use of tanks of same class. If you want to re-class your crew, they will forget all previously trained tonks.

Spoiler

There are significant changes in skills, some are gone, some are new, some are weaker, some are stronger. There are some interesting min/max possibilities there.

I won't get in-depth on them, as there are bunch of peeps crunching numbers already.

I'll just say that I like skill suggestion feature, it will help some newbies. Once you get through converting crew to 2.0 its not bad as far as WG UI's go.

Spoiler

I understand what happens with the 0th skill BIA crews and Instructors. However, I’ve been working on getting five skill crews for the new system since WG hinted about having five skill crews way back in early 2020. I have several complete, but if the 0th skill doesn’t count for conversion I might only have one. That would be very annoying. 

El__Sanx #14 Posted Today, 02:00 AM

Corporal

• Players
  • 33840 battles
  • [CB] CB
I also found out that the crew skill conversion is not balanced at all and actually screws you over. You can check my post for a more detailed look, but the summary is it's current iteration makes you lose a lot of crew experience and some of the skills you already had. On top of that, even if you max out the commander (which requires a huge investment of time or funds to do so), you won't be able to fully replicate the same set nor the same amount of skills you previously had in your tank, because of the stupid level 75 skill cap. Even if you see an increase in some stats, you still lose performance in another areas.

SKurj #15 Posted Today, 02:06 AM

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16862 battles
  • [FEELZ] FEELZ

I read the faq on the website... and had to focus on this one..  

7. Why are conversion operations not automated, and how do I convert an old crew into a new one?

Crew conversion will be performed manually for each particular vehicle and players themselves will be involved in this process. It may not seem very convenient, but we do not want to make conversion-related decisions for you. Only players themselves should decide how to use such a valuable resource as Crew Experience.

They just released a captain skill rework on warships, and they reset no players skills, instead they forced a recommended set of skills on all player's captain's.  Players who were active during the 1st month since release could reset all of the crews for free ONCE only.    

All inactive players who return now (this took place over the last month) will now have to spend free exp/elite exp or dubs (gold) to reset those captains to what they want instead of wg's recommended.

Just a headsup...

Edited by SKurj, Today, 02:08 AM.

SimplyPzB2 #16 Posted Today, 02:07 AM

Captain

• -Players-
  • 106 battles

View PostPTwr, on Feb 23 2021 - 23:21, said:

So you have been here for 10 years, got few dozen thousand battles under your belt, hundreds of tanks in garage, dozens of well trained crews, and lots of junk you forgot about.

You wanna know what you will get for sCrew 2.0? Take a look:

First you'll get tons of books made out of skin of those useless "free 100%" crews you keep stuffed in tanks. Finally some use out of those orphaned radio operators.

Spoiler

Then you'll get crew space for all of your tanks and empty garage slots.

Spoiler

If you ever bought barracks slots, instead of keeping spare crews in low tier trash, you'll get some Retraining tickets. Basically credits per barrack extension.

Spoiler

Those weird directive thingies you never bothered to learn about get converted for a third time

Spoiler

And then you got rewarded for all the time and monies you spent on game. About 150 Instructors. About 40 of them are event/xmass/twitch characters, rest are 0-skill BiA guys and girls you bought or ground.

Spoiler

So basically, the more you have now, the more you will have after update. Nothing is really lost here.

But wait! Because you already had dozens of good crews before Girls came to game you have bunch of "vanity crews" build solely out of 0-skill! What happens?!

You run to find your all-girl crew and see that they are still ready for combat

Spoiler

When converting to sCrew 2.0 you get both crew and senpais.

0-skills are not converted to new skill points. Conversion is based on total crew xp, and 0-skills simply equals to 0xp. However each 0-skill crewmate is converted into senpai.

Its a significant hit to amount of skills you can pick, but... each senpai gives between 2 to 3 extra points, for total up to 12 (and crew xp boost).

WG tried to make it fair, whether its good for your case... well, depends on your situation.

Spoiler

I'll post more images once Imgur lets me upload moar. 

You missed the biggest thing about this.  75 new Skill Points (the maxium) only equals a 5 skill crew.  So every crewmember you have with 6,7,8+ skills YOU LOSE ALL THAT XP.  Think about how much xp it takes to go from level 6 to level 7.  MASSIVE LOSS...

gpc_4 #17 Posted Today, 02:12 AM

Major

• -Players-
  • 48437 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostSimplyPzB2, on Feb 24 2021 - 02:07, said:

You missed the biggest thing about this.  75 new Skill Points (the maxium) only equals a 5 skill crew.  So every crewmember you have with 6,7,8+ skills YOU LOSE ALL THAT XP.  Think about how much xp it takes to go from level 6 to level 7.  MASSIVE LOSS...

They cover that. It becomes Professional Expertise and will provide additional "vehicle handling." You can say the conversion is unfair, you can't say you lose all the XP.

heavymetal1967 #18 Posted Today, 02:25 AM

Major

• Players
  • 80981 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO

View PostEl__Sanx, on Feb 23 2021 - 20:00, said:

I also found out that the crew skill conversion is not balanced at all and actually screws you over. You can check my post for a more detailed look, but the summary is it's current iteration makes you lose a lot of crew experience and some of the skills you already had. On top of that, even if you max out the commander (which requires a huge investment of time or funds to do so), you won't be able to fully replicate the same set nor the same amount of skills you previously had in your tank, because of the stupid level 75 skill cap. Even if you see an increase in some stats, you still lose performance in another areas.

View PostSimplyPzB2, on Feb 23 2021 - 20:07, said:

Also not only do they max out at 75 out of 200 possible skill point folks you can only get 2 talents out of 10 possible. 

Granted there are different and more skills now and folks need to consider capitalizing on talents as well. 

But once the cap of 75 is reached crew progress is essentially capped.  But professional expertise becomes available and each new rank (in it) increases the vehicle's handling.  And per WG "the bonus is not significant, but rather a mark of status".

Cued to the relative bit on "professional expertise".  Their words not mine. 

Also speaking of caps.  Retraining got completely revamped as well.  Keep in mind there is no base skill level now so no more silver retraining a same class crew and grinding them back to where they were per the link in my sig in relatively short order.

Now if you use silver it's 500,000 to silver train* or retain and you lose 10% of total xp.  If you do it for free it's 30% of total xp and there is no cap.  Folks budgeting gold or FTP are gonna feel the burn and of course the higher skilled aka more xp the crew the more it's gonna hurt.  

*This is mainly going to affect folks wanting to use/train an existing crew for a second and third tank.

View Postomi5cron, on Feb 23 2021 - 14:22, said:

holy moly! took a 46 point commander...free reset at 30% loss...now hes 39 points!!! LOSS of over 500k EXP on a FREE retrain. for credits its was (!!!)  and checking a COMMANDER at 75 points and change....loss of over 3 MILLION EXP on a Free retraining. woo, thats gonna hurt!

PTwr #19 Posted Today, 02:30 AM

Major

• Players
  • 50895 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

View PostSimplyPzB2, on Feb 24 2021 - 01:07, said:

No. You do not lose it.

As described in video, every level after 75th gives crew a bonus.

It seems that UI is not displaying it properly in stats, so I can't tell whether mysterious "handling" works like Vents/BiA or is for mobility only. However it is displayed as cumulative with Vents/Coherence/Food so its probably applied to everything (or is supposed to).

Bonus seems to not be linear, between extra levels it varies from 1% to 3%. UI is not helpful in telling how many extra levels crew got, so I can't really tell how many % per level.

Spoiler

You can also test in in widget in article:

https://worldoftanks...1-crew-2-0-faq/

Spoiler
You also can keep feeding freeXP and books to crew.

View PostEl__Sanx, on Feb 24 2021 - 01:00, said:

To be precise, it is simply not converting amount of skills/perks but exact crew XP your crew currently has. 

View PostSKurj, on Feb 24 2021 - 00:27, said:

thanks for this...  its an awful lot to consume...  and so far i don't get it ...

If you'd head to Sandbox you should get a hang of it after converting a crew or two, gonna take less than hour.

Crew 2.0 and Conversion to it are simple things. What's hard is to decide which crew to convert to which tank(s).

View Postgpc_4, on Feb 24 2021 - 00:48, said:

I understand what happens with the 0th skill BIA crews and Instructors. However, I’ve been working on getting five skill crews for the new system since WG hinted about having five skill crews way back in early 2020. I have several complete, but if the 0th skill doesn’t count for conversion I might only have one. That would be very annoying. 

If you consider Instructors to not be fair trade, make your voice heard in Feedback threads, Discord and whatever else WG uses nowadays instead of this thread :]

PTwr #20 Posted Today, 06:41 PM

Major

• Players
  • 50895 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Adding tank to crew for silver

TLDR: Eewww. Don't,

In current system xp loss when retraining for silver is constant, some 50k or so if I remember correctly. Its taken from basic tank handling skill, so those millions of crew xp sunk into skills are not affected.

In sCrew 2.0 major qualification is gone. All xp is now in single pool used to unlock Skill Points.

-10% when retraining for silver is taken from that pool, so the better crew, the higher loss.

In fact, do not think of it as retraining but rather as skill resetting  as it works basically the same. And as you probably already know, resetting skills for silver is bad idea.

For example, take what previously was strong 4-skill crew (+0 skill BiA, but its not carried over to 2.0).

On strong crews you'll lose something between one to three Universal Training Manuals (250k xp) worth of xp. That's a lot
Spoiler

Then if you want to add another tank to it you scream in horror at the sight of XP loss.

On strong crews you'll lose something between one to three Universal Training Manuals (250k xp) worth of xp. That's a lot

Spoiler

And if you'll take a look at whats basically 8+ skill crew (I feed 5 skill crew about 50 big books to test overleveling bonus), you'll faint at the sight of a MILIONS OF CREW XP LOST!

Spoiler

However, because its percentage instead of fixed amount, you can make use out of it when creating new crews.

Basically no xp lost for newbies:

Spoiler

22 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 17 guests, 2 anonymous users

Penelope_Pitstop, boostjunky, PRS24