• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

__WarChild__ #1 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:24

The Code Whisperer

• Community Contributor
  • 44147 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

Howdy Tankers,

Years ago, my original mentor introduced me to the wonderful world of Mods.  If you take away the XVM component (which most folks use incorrectly) and just focus on the simplifications, mods are incredibly helpful - especially to people like me who need less clutter and more information.  I am pleasantly surprised to see that WG has incorporated the following into the most recent Update:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New Functions Inspired by Popular Game Modifications

• In the battle interface, a counter for the total amount of hit points of each team was added.
  • Vehicle markers on the score panel can now be grouped by tier.
  • Special icons were added in the player list interface to indicate which vehicles have already been spotted and which are still fighting unseen.
  • Players will receive the results of the previous battle during the current one. It will be displayed with a short summary in the chat area.
  • Default zoom multiplier: When switching to Sniper mode upon pressing Shift, the camera will snap to the preset zoom level.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have come to really rely upon knowing which vehicles have been spotted and which haven't, as well as the total hit points for each team.  Both of those tidbits of information are incredibly helpful to me during battles and allow me to make real time decisions on strategy that I could not make without it. The only other significant modifications that I like to have are (1) Fog reduction - I'm older and like things to be clear, and (2) I like a white reticle because it's easier for me to see - again, cuz I'm older.  

The rest of my mods involve making my Garage more user friendly with organization and also having a clock to help keep track of time.  Those mods just make things easier to see and find, which I really appreciate.  Now, I use XVM as a tool and it really helps me achieve victory a lot because of its functionality but I could certainly live without it and would love for WG to make it impossible/illegal to use.  If they did that though, I'd like them to also remove anonymization as I feel that reduces the fun of the game for a variety of reasons.

Again, KUDOS to Wargaming for including some much improved changes to the game!

__WarChild__

(even though Crew 2.0 might simply ruin all their efforts to improve the game)

Kramah313 #2 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:27

Captain

• Players
  • 9265 battles
I agree. They have done so many nice changes lately, then you have crew 2.0. But I’m excited about this round. 

Turbooski #3 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11417 battles
  • [PHASE] PHASE

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 02 2021 - 15:24, said:

If they did that though, I'd like them to also remove anonymization as I feel that reduces the fun of the game for a variety of reasons.

I agree with everything but this. I know many players that have even messaged me saying that they are annoyed about the anonymizer because they cant focus the clans they don't like/good clans that one can assume the players are better than average. I know thats not the best reason to keep the anonymizer but thats why many I've talked to use it

__WarChild__ #4 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:40

The Code Whisperer

• Community Contributor
  • 44147 battles
  • [OPIC] OPIC

View PostTurbooski, on Mar 02 2021 - 09:36, said:

I agree with everything but this. I know many players that have even messaged me saying that they are annoyed about the anonymizer because they cant focus the clans they don't like/good clans that one can assume the players are better than average. I know thats not the best reason to keep the anonymizer but thats why many I've talked to use it

Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying "Get that OPIC guy or we lose" in any of the battles, so my perspective on that is going to differ from others.  I don't like anonymizer because I think it makes things impersonal but I understand why you and others would want to use it.  My statement in the OP is just my personal preference but I can live with it without a problem.

__WarChild__

Turbooski #5 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11417 battles
  • [PHASE] PHASE

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 02 2021 - 15:40, said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is saying "Get that OPIC guy or we lose" in any of the battles, so my perspective on that is going to differ from others.  I don't like anonymizer because I think it makes things impersonal but I understand why you and others would want to use it.  My statement in the OP is just my personal preference but I can live with it without a problem.

__WarChild__

Totally agree, other than focusing or being able to hide your name as a streamer or content creator I think that the anonymizer is not great for the game. 

And Opic has very good players, Ive had many help me win games so I wouldnt count them out at all

SwollenOstrich #6 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:51

Major

• Players
  • 30335 battles

Yes! I think the only "in-game" mod I still utilize (other than xvm) that I would love added to vanilla is the 50 meter mini-map circle. It is incredibly helpful to watch the map and see instantly if a red tank crosses inside that circle, you know you are proxy-spotted and can act accordingly.

My other mods are garage related (blowing up the tank icons to a size I can actually read, stuff like that.)

Turbooski #7 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11417 battles
  • [PHASE] PHASE
Also the only mod the game hasnt added that I like to use is the MOE percentage in game and in garage 

Kliphie #8 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 16:54

Major

• Players
  • 38538 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC

View PostSwollenOstrich, on Mar 02 2021 - 09:51, said:

Yes! I think the only "in-game" mod I still utilize (other than xvm) that I would love added to vanilla is the 50 meter mini-map circle. It is incredibly helpful to watch the map and see instantly if a red tank crosses inside that circle, you know you are proxy-spotted and can act accordingly.

They added that last update.

I'd love to see them add an option to more distinctly color the vehicles by class type.  

SwollenOstrich #9 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 17:08

Major

• Players
  • 30335 battles

View PostKliphie, on Mar 02 2021 - 09:54, said:

They added that last update.

I'd love to see them add an option to more distinctly color the vehicles by class type.  

What?!!! Wow! Yay! 

Shows how much I pay attention.

PTwr #10 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 17:37

Major

• Players
  • 51306 battles
  • [BITSA] BITSA

Mods are slippery slope.

I started with in-garage clock, ended up with MLP midget horse in E-75 commanders hatch.

But now that reload timer is vanilla, all I do is removing so called "features" WG keeps commiting. 

Cpt_Zapp_Brannigan #11 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 17:46

Captain

• Players
  • 40039 battles

I wouldn't mind knowing what players on my team are spotted at any given time. I guess if everyone had 6th sense that's something that could be added to the game. 

I can look at a mini map and see the spotted enemies and last known positions.  

Kani_Bist #12 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 17:47

Captain

• Players
  • 17190 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 02 2021 - 10:24, said:

Howdy Tankers,

Years ago, my original mentor introduced me to the wonderful world of Mods.  If you take away the XVM component (which most folks use incorrectly) and just focus on the simplifications, mods are incredibly helpful - especially to people like me who need less clutter and more information.  I am pleasantly surprised to see that WG has incorporated the following into the most recent Update:

• In the battle interface, a counter for the total amount of hit points of each team was added.
  • Special icons were added in the player list interface to indicate which vehicles have already been spotted and which are still fighting unseen.
  • Players will receive the results of the previous battle during the current one. It will be displayed with a short summary in the chat area.
  • Default zoom multiplier: When switching to Sniper mode upon pressing Shift, the camera will snap to the preset zoom level.

I have come to really rely upon knowing which vehicles have been spotted and which haven't, as well as the total hit points for each team.  Both of those tidbits of information are incredibly helpful to me during battles and allow me to make real time decisions on strategy that I could not make without it. The only other significant modifications that I like to have are (1) Fog reduction - I'm older and like things to be clear, and (2) I like a white reticle because it's easier for me to see - again, cuz I'm older.  

The rest of my mods involve making my Garage more user friendly with organization and also having a clock to help keep track of time.  Those mods just make things easier to see and find, which I really appreciate.  Now, I use XVM as a tool and it really helps me achieve victory a lot because of its functionality but I could certainly live without it and would love for WG to make it impossible/illegal to use.  If they did that though, I'd like them to also remove anonymization as I feel that reduces the fun of the game for a variety of reasons.

__WarChild__

Until WOT adds a reserve garage lol, I will still use XVM, but I totally agree with your post and I was thinking along the same lines as you when I read the WOT update notes. I also like to see a list of the tanks I shoot and the damage done and the tanks that shho me and damage done, but it's not as important as that reserve garage.

Cupujoe #13 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 17:49

Major

• Players
  • 11 battles
If sCrew2.0 goes in won't need the "return crew" mod anymore.

Then again if sCrew2.0 goes in as is I won't need to play anymore.

Koala_In_The_Rain #14 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 17:56

Major

• Players
  • 32986 battles
  • [TER] TER

View PostKani_Bist, on Mar 02 2021 - 09:47, said:

Until WOT adds a reserve garage lol, I will still use XVM, but I totally agree with your post and I was thinking along the same lines as you when I read the WOT update notes. I also like to see a list of the tanks I shoot and the damage done and the tanks that shho me and damage done, but it's not as important as that reserve garage.

Reserve garage (or "basement," as I like to call it) is a HUGE one, yes.  And Divingduck's carousel.

Kani_Bist #15 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 17:58

Captain

• Players
  • 17190 battles
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ

View PostKoala_In_The_Rain, on Mar 02 2021 - 11:56, said:

Reserve garage (or "basement," as I like to call it) is a HUGE one, yes.  And Divingduck's carousel.

I don't know Divingduck or his carousel lol, I just use the vanilla XVM download from the XVM websites, not the other mod packs. They looked cool, but I'm kinda stupid and without someone to splain them to me I figured it was best to just leave them alone........

Edited by Kani_Bist, Mar 02 2021 - 17:58.

icbrainy #16 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 18:13

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11277 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 02 2021 - 15:24, said:

Now, I use XVM as a tool and it really helps me achieve victory a lot because of its functionality but I could certainly live without it and would love for WG to make it impossible/illegal to use.  If they did that though, I'd like them to also remove anonymization as I feel that reduces the fun of the game for a variety of reasons.

I do want it outlawed too because I want people to figure for themselves how good I am in-game/in-battle, just like how our service personnel had to make such in-field assessments of their adversaries in the wars.

What I would prefer is to allow "profile locking" for everyone, just like how special accounts have this special status as well.

Player Details Locked

Player details for [name] are locked.

I feel my statistics being made accessible this way is very invasive. Also...I don't recall signing any permissions to Wargaming to make my statistics data available via its API... The term API doesn't appear anywhere in the document...

wc_nighthawk #17 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 18:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 33454 battles
  • [23AEF] 23AEF
Stopped using mods 5-6 yrs ago.  Way too lazy to keep downloading updates after every micro patch WoT does.  I mainly used vanilla XVM to move crews around and to "remember" I'm on NA server back then.  I used some skin packs to make some tanks look cool, but I don't do that anymore either.  Now I just use what WG provides.  Much easier.  I also like to use the anonymizer, because apparently it handicaps people that rely too heavily on XVM and pisses them off.  And sometimes you can get some funny after game threats messages.

Edited by wc_nighthawk, Mar 02 2021 - 18:23.

leeuniverse #18 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 18:48

Major

• Players
  • 42861 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

What I don't get is why when they add some mods they do it HALF-***ED...?

1. Only "2" Carousel Rows when we should be getting at least 4.  So, STILL have to use a mod for that.

2. They should have added the "Default Zoom" back when they added the other features, shift to zoom, increased zoom, etc.

3. The new Default Zoom is ****....  I mean, why didn't they give a "scroll bar" which allows us to select "whatever # we want" from the lowest possible to the highest possible (0.whatever times to 35x or whatever the highest is, I forget)?

However, one thing I'm wondering is since this now exists, like with the "GUI Scaling" setting, whether we can actually go into a WOT Folder file and MANUALLY change it ourselves to whatever we want?  ( I haven't looked yet.)

Otherwise, I'm STILL going to have to use the mod because I like going the LOWEST default zoom can go...  The mods currently do 0.8x as the lowest....  They used to allow you to go even lower, to select what you wanted, which I actually liked best.  I can't remember the # now, it was either 0.6x or 0.7x I think before distortion occurred, but I liked that best.  0.8x isn't low enough for me ideally.

So, it ticks me off that the default zoom setting actually SUCKS, just like the Carousel Row limit SUCKS...

icbrainy #19 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 18:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11277 battles

View Postwc_nighthawk, on Mar 02 2021 - 17:16, said:

Stopped using mods 5-6 yrs ago.  Way too lazy to keep downloading updates after every micro patch WoT does.  I mainly used vanilla XVM to move crews around and to "remember" I'm on NA server back then.  I used some skin packs to make some tanks look cool, but I don't do that anymore either.  Now I just use what WG provides.  Much easier.  I also like to use the anonymizer, because apparently it handicaps people that rely too heavily on XVM and pisses them off.  And sometimes you can get some funny after game threats messages.

Really? Does it stop XVM from functioning properly?

black_colt #20 Posted Mar 02 2021 - 18:59

Major

• Players
  • 5885 battles

View Post__WarChild__, on Mar 02 2021 - 07:24, said:

Howdy Tankers,

__WarChild__

Well perhaps we should start promoting the MOD HUB - World of Tanks and get players to vote for the mods they like so that WG can start looking at and possibly incorporate in future releases ...

With the MOD HUB - World of Tanks you can:

You will get notified when the mod is updated - just click on [FOLLOW UPDATES] for the mod

You can check to see if your favorite mod has been updated for the latest patch/update to help troubleshoot issues with play-ability.

IIRC [cannot find on the WG News page] all mods downloaded from the MOD HUB - World of Tanks will not subject you to sanction under the Fair Play rules.

Also tagged with Mods, Modifications

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users