Can't get anywhere with ranked

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Surehoof #1 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 04:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 37384 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

Yeah, I'm not a very good player, lets get that out of the way. But certainly I'm not the worst. Statistically I'm average, yet I can't progress through the system. Is this how it is meant to be? Is it only a reward to the best of the best? Personally it feels like I get penalized heavy if I don't do well, and not rewarded when I do well. The chevron system with bonus battles seems like if you do well you get bonuses to do even better. I will say the MM really blows with this system. Obviously playing arty is rewarded more since the queue has more players with arty than all the other classes combined. It seems if I play a light tank (to which are always outclassed by the EBR for scoring) there are 4 other light tanks to compete with. If I don't play one, no one spots and the teams redline camp which is dreadful gameplay.

The worst part is I would really like the Skoda (tank collector) which seems barred now behind this system.

I'm open to suggestions to do better.

TastyPastry #2 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 05:13

Major

• Players
  • 34407 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View PostSurehoof, on Apr 03 2021 - 23:58, said:

Is it only a reward to the best of the best?

Yes

Personally it feels like I get penalized heavy if I don't do well, and not rewarded when I do well. The chevron system with bonus battles seems like if you do well you get bonuses to do even better. 

That's the entire point. You get penalized if you don't do well. 

I will say the MM really blows with this system. Obviously playing arty is rewarded more since the queue has more players with arty than all the other classes combined.

Arty is easier to play, which means more players will try to play it in ranked. It's not common, however, for arty to do well. Part of the problem is arty mains suck at this game, and part of the problem is arty is a class that's difficult to do well consistently because of a lot of external factors which affect the class. Also, there's a lot of arty because there are very few arty slots per game, which means their queue times are longer.

It seems if I play a light tank (to which are always outclassed by the EBR for scoring) there are 4 other light tanks to compete with. If I don't play one, no one spots and the teams redline camp which is dreadful gameplay.

EBRs are matched equally with other EBRs, i.e. you won't see an EBR vs. an Rhm Pzw as the only light tanks. I think if the queue is sparse that limitation gets lifted. Most games have light tanks so I'm not sure why you think you are required to play an LT. 

The worst part is I would really like the Skoda (tank collector) which seems barred now behind this system.

Skoda...what? The tier 9? 

_Marcel #3 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 05:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 19731 battles
  • [5HTTR] 5HTTR

View PostSurehoof, on Apr 04 2021 - 03:58, said:

Yeah, I'm not a very good player, lets get that out of the way. But certainly I'm not the worst. Statistically I'm average, yet I can't progress through the system. Is this how it is meant to be? 

I mean, I'm pretty sure the average player in ranked is much better than the average player in pubs just because more good players and less bad players want to play a SBMM mode. So technically, you are below average in ranked, which explains why you are getting no where, so the system is working intended for you. 

I'm gonna hit you with a reality check. The average player in world of tanks is terrible. Don't think that a slightly higher averaged player in the game is good because they still don't understand the game whatsoever. Sure, I may be biased because I'm purple, but they truly know nothing and all they do is think "gun goes boom boom" and they never use their brain when playing. 

View PostSurehoof, on Apr 04 2021 - 03:58, said:

I'm open to suggestions to do better.

All I can say is that you should start watching better players play. Getting better overnight will be impossible, it'll take a long time.

Surehoof #4 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 05:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 37384 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

"That's the entire point. You get penalized if you don't do well. "

True, I'm onboard with that. It just seems like I don't get rewarded for good play. But then I've had that complaint about how xp works for a while. As it is the system puts a premium on survival and winning, as opposed to being effective in battle.

"I'm not sure why you think you are required to play an LT. "

I just hate how the gameplay works without spotters in the match, but as above, the rewarding of performance is skewed against performing this function.

"so the system is working intended for you."

If this is the case, the ranked battles system should be perhaps only open to players already of a certain performance level, if indeed it is not a competitive nature that would "rank" all players. To me it seems like I should at least been able to progress a bit through this system. Now perhaps I am indeed amongst the worst players and I don't seem to be getting better.

Ah well, thanks for the responses, need to vent and probably just quit this mode.

_Marcel #5 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 06:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 19731 battles
  • [5HTTR] 5HTTR

View PostSurehoof, on Apr 04 2021 - 04:52, said:

True, I'm onboard with that. It just seems like I don't get rewarded for good play. But then I've had that complaint about how xp works for a while. As it is the system puts a premium on survival and winning, as opposed to being effective in battle.

Maybe what you think are "good plays" aren't really good. Yes, it rewards players who have a brain unlike those who press the W key hoping to farm damage. 

View PostSurehoof, on Apr 04 2021 - 04:52, said:

If this is the case, the ranked battles system should be perhaps only open to players already of a certain performance level, if indeed it is not a competitive nature that would "rank" all players. To me it seems like I should at least been able to progress a bit through this system. Now perhaps I am indeed amongst the worst players and I don't seem to be getting better.

No, you aren't moving up because you've hit your max rank with your current "skill". Ranked isn't about giving everyone a chance to complete it. It's a mode to see how far you can get and the performance it took for you to get there. 

Edited by _Marcel, Apr 04 2021 - 06:04.

Naelbis #6 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 06:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17771 battles
  • [COLD1] COLD1
Unless you are a super super unicum, you are mostly at the mercy of your team. I played 12 games of ranked tonight, won once but managed to only lose 4 chevrons. If those 11 losses had been wins I would have ranked out of Div 2 but such is life.

_Marcel #7 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 06:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 19731 battles
  • [5HTTR] 5HTTR

View PostNaelbis, on Apr 04 2021 - 05:03, said:

Unless you are a super super unicum, you are mostly at the mercy of your team. I played 12 games of ranked tonight, won once but managed to only lose 4 chevrons. If those 11 losses had been wins I would have ranked out of Div 2 but such is life.

Exactly. Really good players take control of the game instead of letting the game play itself out. People complain about not doing good in ranked, but that's just because they aren't selfish enough to make the best plays that increase their chances of winning. That's why most players camp. 

TastyPastry #8 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 06:13

Major

• Players
  • 34407 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP
You can advance in ranked even if your chevron rate is bad. You don't need to get 1 chevron per game, you really just need to have a net positive chevron rate, and that's not even required since there's ranks where your chevrons are protected. Now, if your chevron rate is near 0%, i.e. your gains are around equal to your losses, it'll take absolutely forever to get anywhere. 

Surehoof #9 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 06:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 37384 battles
  • [GR-W] GR-W

"Maybe what you think are "good plays" aren't really good. Yes, it rewards players who have a brain unlike those who press the W key hoping to farm damage."

Well I'd like to think I'm a bit above that. For instance I'm cognizant of the places the enemy light tanks will hide to expose them if I need to. I'm versed enough on how the bush mechanics work. I feel like it rewards camping over any sort of offensive action though. I could be wrong.

"No, you aren't moving up because you've hit your max rank with your current "skill". Ranked isn't about giving everyone a chance to complete it. It's a mode to see how far you can get and the performance it took for you to get there. "

You're right on that. I thought I was good enough to get farther, I guess not. I didn't expect that the mode was for everyone to get through. Either way, there are more fun things to do.

TastyPastry #10 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 06:45

Major

• Players
  • 34407 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View PostSurehoof, on Apr 04 2021 - 01:42, said:

Well I'd like to think I'm a bit above that. For instance I'm cognizant of the places the enemy light tanks will hide to expose them if I need to. I'm versed enough on how the bush mechanics work. I feel like it rewards camping over any sort of offensive action though. I could be wrong.

The maps are what encourage camping. Camping is rampant in pubs too, it's no different in ranked. 

Edge_of_Obesity #11 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 06:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1633 battles
  • [4ORC2] 4ORC2

Actually arty does do well consistently in ranked because every map except ruinberg is open (and ruinberg is still playable), also games tend to be slow and campy because people are like muh chevron retention

Literally no downside to arty in ranked vs pubs which has maps like himmelsdorf

Edited by Edge_of_Obesity, Apr 04 2021 - 06:51.

Laniru #12 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 07:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 34246 battles
  • [_TVS_] _TVS_
Win/loss is going to be streaky for everyone, yes even the dark purple guys (watch streams to confirm). The better players will weather the bad games and losing streaks better (retain chevron instead of losing one), the bad players will go nowhere because even on a win they are at the bottom of their team.

Treeburst #13 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 07:15

Major

• Players
  • 38306 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

Streaky lol.

No. I'm now 100% convinced that this game is rigged. I'm really hoping that Wotnumbers keeps records for teams in ranked, because 80-90 games is a large enough sample size to show that no, we don't all in fact get the same teams.

coconut2011 #14 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 07:30

Major

• Players
  • 77325 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

If you want to play ranked without too much pressure, get Object 261 AND CGC.  No need to be good.  That was how I got my ranked done.  In fact, I made credits with 261 overall without shooting premium shells.  I had to switch to CGC because the BP points were full.  With CGC, I had to shoot full gold, but the credit loss is not that significant comparing to regular tanks.

Otherwise, I would recommend 60TP.  50% HE, 40% HEAT and 10% AP.  Shoot mostly HE for consistent damages and hide your lower plate.

cavalry11 #15 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 14:41

Captain

• Players
  • 58413 battles
Bunch of arrogant SOBs on .

NeatoMan #16 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 14:52

Major

• Players
  • 31085 battles
  • [ROXY] ROXY

Block Quote

It seems if I play a light tank (to which are always outclassed by the EBR for scoring) there are 4 other light tanks to compete with. If I don't play one, no one spots and the teams redline camp which is dreadful gameplay.

EBRs are matched equally with other EBRs, i.e. you won't see an EBR vs. an Rhm Pzw as the only light tanks. I think if the queue is sparse that limitation gets lifted. Most games have light tanks so I'm not sure why you think you are required to play an LT. 

yeah, ranked battles is one of those bring-your-OP-meta-tank-or-go-home modes.  Either that or find the <cough>russian<cough> tank that has the best hidden XP multiplier.

Jaguarz #17 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 15:54

Captain

• Players
  • 9265 battles

View PostTastyPastry, on Apr 04 2021 - 06:45, said:

The maps are what encourage camping. Camping is rampant in pubs too, it's no different in ranked. 

Its different in ranked, pub games people take positions  and push for map control, rightly or wrongly, in ranked everyone almost always camps and waits for someone to either spot for them or the other side gets bored and pushes because they think this will enable them to gain chevrons at the expense of others. The play in ranked is terrible and is certainly not a showcase of skilled players.

TastyPastry #18 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 19:37

Major

• Players
  • 34407 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View PostJaguarz, on Apr 04 2021 - 10:54, said:

Its different in ranked, pub games people take positions  and push for map control, rightly or wrongly, in ranked everyone almost always camps and waits for someone to either spot for them or the other side gets bored and pushes because they think this will enable them to gain chevrons at the expense of others. The play in ranked is terrible and is certainly not a showcase of skilled players.

Ranked is basically the same as pubs. Players don't just magically play better or worse in pubs vs. ranked. Players who camp in pubs camp in ranked. Players who rush forwards and die in 2 mins in pubs die in 2 mins in ranked. 

Jaguarz #19 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 20:57

Captain

• Players
  • 9265 battles

View PostTastyPastry, on Apr 04 2021 - 19:37, said:

Ranked is basically the same as pubs. Players don't just magically play better or worse in pubs vs. ranked. Players who camp in pubs camp in ranked. Players who rush forwards and die in 2 mins in pubs die in 2 mins in ranked. 

Nonsense, in pubs people have nothing to lose, in ranked they lose chevrons and standing towards their super l33t free tonk and as a result the play in ranked is infinitely more campy and conservative.

TastyPastry #20 Posted Apr 04 2021 - 22:29

Major

• Players
  • 34407 battles
  • [GIVUP] GIVUP

View PostJaguarz, on Apr 04 2021 - 15:57, said:

Nonsense, in pubs people have nothing to lose, in ranked they lose chevrons and standing towards their super l33t free tonk and as a result the play in ranked is infinitely more campy and conservative.

Players don't just turn their brains off in pubs. Maybe a few players do, but most players try in pubs. In ranked players are just as bad. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users