Fixing arty unhappiness

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

S_I_Q #1 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 15:20

Private

• Players
  • 3867 battles
  • [1SOB] 1SOB

There are so many complaints about spg's ie Arty. It's an everyday ear-full occurrence. They are part of the tanking world. However they do have unfair advantages.(I don't think I need to rehash those advantages) If you want to make it more fair and improve my crews moral...Why not put wind in the game(for spg's). Have a wind indicator, And make it as realistic as possible. That would limit the devastating unfair effect they have. And maybe me and my crew can make it back to the garage in one piece(for a change) and enjoy a plate of that spaghetti and meatballs I've been hearing about.

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

Edited by S_I_Q, Apr 06 2021 - 15:21.

SlappedbyRommel #2 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 15:25

Captain

• Players
  • 16418 battles
  • [SHRKE] SHRKE

View PostS_I_Q, on Apr 06 2021 - 15:20, said:

There are so many complaints about spg's ie Arty. It's an everyday ear-full occurrence. They are part of the tanking world. However they do have unfair advantages.(I don't think I need to rehash those advantages) If you want to make it more fair and improve my crews moral...Why not put wind in the game(for spg's). Have a wind indicator, And make it as realistic as possible. That would limit the devastating unfair effect they have. And maybe me and my crew can make it back to the garage in one piece(for a change) and enjoy a plate of that spaghetti and meatballs I've been hearing about.

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

If WG plays with Arty and the mechanics of their shells would they not need to change the Campaign Missions to?

Edited by SlappedbyRommel, Apr 06 2021 - 15:25.

Whistling_Death_ #3 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 15:31

Major

• Players
  • 74774 battles
  • [13-AD] 13-AD
Artillery-whiners;  don't be one.

Altwar #4 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 15:32

Major

• Players
  • 62973 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View PostS_I_Q, on Apr 06 2021 - 06:20, said:

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

If you have wind in the game for SPGs, it has to be for all classes.  Otherwise there's nothing realistic about it as you are asking it to be.

Meanwhile, I think wind is one of those elements that are considered to be part of RNG.

Fly_Guy8791 #5 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 15:34

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22626 battles

View PostS_I_Q, on Apr 06 2021 - 08:20, said:

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

I don't see how adding wind would do anything to change the inherent issues with indirect fire.

LeaveIT2Beaver #6 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 15:36

Major

• Players
  • 41167 battles
  • [ZAYIN] ZAYIN

Boy, I am going to get it for this one - 

Spotter calls for artillery - Grid Sierra 6 -  artillery fires. Artillery cannot see the target (TD's see targets). Use map markers for spotted red tanks.  Increase the splash, do take godview away 

Vava_das_SPGs #7 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 16:02

Major

• Players
  • 34393 battles
  • [AMICI] AMICI

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Apr 06 2021 - 11:36, said:

Spotter calls for artillery - Grid Sierra 6 -  artillery fires. Artillery cannot see the target (TD's see targets). Use map markers for spotted red tanks.  Increase the splash, do take godview away 

Then, take damage for friendly fire away, because that will lead to a lot of friendly fire.
Who will be the spotter? Other players? Because other players could just... not call an artillery fire at all, trying to get all the damage.

Edited by Vava_das_SPGs, Apr 06 2021 - 16:02.

DVK9 #8 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 16:44

Captain

• Players
  • 27187 battles
  • [-TX-] -TX-

fix arty?

People whined about taking damage from a direct hit for a long time.

WG brought in stun, reduced dmg from HE shells, took away AP, etc.

Fast fwd to today and people whine about... STUN. Too many arty.

Y'all praised stun when it was introduced now y'all starting to really hate it and want it reduced or eliminated.

Y'all (most) never went up against 10 arty a match.

Most unicum learned on how to avoid arty.

Today y'all  have issues with 2 to 6 arty a match.

Why havent players learned how to adapt and overcome arty?

Maybe stay out of those 3 corridors a map that WG loves to put in.

Maybe find a better rock or stay out of that street.

Why dont y'all stop and think, why is arty hitting me?

Why is it you are sticking out like a sore thumb?

If you are pushing, dont y'all think everyone is pinging away on you?

If they get hit, they look at the WG given direction finder and then look at the map and they figure out in seconds where you are hiding.

They ping your suspected position for arty to hit.

But all of this figuring and finding suspected location is being done by others.

Arty might see a tree fall or fence breaking and then take a guess at where you are at.

Arty cant see you until we are deep in YOUR shooting range.

Rarely do I get spotting points in my arty.

Arty relies on others to get a good guess where you are.

My question to arty haters is this; why are you sitting like a rock after you have been spotted?

Why are you so determine to plant deep roots after you fired a round?

You heavies why sit there and take stuns while trying peek-a-shoot at others?

I have to adapt and overcome on every battle.

I might be a second line heavy or a slow med. I have to adapt to what I am given.

What do I do when arty is plentiful? If I told y'all it would defeat me in my SPG.

Try thinking in 3D not 2D. 

Darntuff #9 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 16:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1231 battles

View PostVava_das_SPGs, on Apr 06 2021 - 16:02, said:

Then, take damage for friendly fire away, because that will lead to a lot of friendly fire.
Who will be the spotter? Other players? Because other players could just... not call an artillery fire at all, trying to get all the damage.

The artillery player is the spotter - since you don't need the actual artillery piece anymore.

Artillery player is essentially playing as a 13F

He drives the spotting tank.

Only he can call in fire from the artillery he controls.

Artillery he controls is the same arty he plays now at tier - no change needed.

He calls for fire on the tanks in his field of view - or blind fires targets in his field of view (i.e. he thinks a TD is camping in a bush).

Lets be honest here - that is what the EBR should be.   No gun though, just a wheeled scout.    Can relocate all over the map to bring artillery fire where it is needed.

LeaveIT2Beaver #10 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 16:46

Major

• Players
  • 41167 battles
  • [ZAYIN] ZAYIN

View PostVava_das_SPGs, on Apr 06 2021 - 10:02, said:

Spotted tanks appear automatically on the map 
No friendly fire damage

Just thoughts. I play a lot of arty for missions, so no issue with arty for me

SneakyPete67 #11 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 16:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 66601 battles
  • [11_TH] 11_TH
No thanks, I already play Golf Clash.

BlaqWolf #12 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 16:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24718 battles
  • [RSRS] RSRS

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

Wind... *LOL*

Arty in WoT is a complete joke.  It's been nerfed with every expansion for the past... 8 years or more.  Now all they've got is stun and they're trying to get rid of that, too, and *further* nerf their ability to do any damage.  Arty can effectively be ignored in its current state.

RamaLamaDingDong1 #13 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 17:14

Captain

• Players
  • 26 battles

From what I have read an seen the "nerf" is over blown an in actuality arty will be more effective. It will force the sit and fire arty players to actually move after each shot. It will provide a better variety of ammo that will force them to think about what they're doing. I would like to see arty speed increased so relocation is not a painful turtle crawl.

I think it's overblown hysteria about a change that may in fact make them more effective which is wonderful. Just a huge slap in the face of ardent arty haters like Green Guy George.

Edited by RamaLamaDingDong1, Apr 06 2021 - 17:15.

RamaLamaDingDong1 #14 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 17:18

Captain

• Players
  • 26 battles

View PostDarntuff, on Apr 06 2021 - 16:45, said:

The artillery player is the spotter - since you don't need the actual artillery piece anymore.

Artillery player is essentially playing as a 13F

He drives the spotting tank.

Only he can call in fire from the artillery he controls.

Artillery he controls is the same arty he plays now at tier - no change needed.

He calls for fire on the tanks in his field of view - or blind fires targets in his field of view (i.e. he thinks a TD is camping in a bush).

Lets be honest here - that is what the EBR should be.   No gun though, just a wheeled scout.    Can relocate all over the map to bring artillery fire where it is needed.

Seriously who would play a tank like that...NO ONE.

Edited by RamaLamaDingDong1, Apr 06 2021 - 17:18.

Darntuff #15 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 17:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1231 battles

View PostRamaLamaDingDong1, on Apr 06 2021 - 17:18, said:

Seriously who would play a tank like that...NO ONE.

They play arty - it's the same thing.     I mean it's not like you see arty driving all over the map shotgunning people in the middle of a reload.....

ThePigSheFlies #16 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 17:29

Major

• Players
  • 85976 battles
  • [SEGA] SEGA

View PostVava_das_SPGs, on Apr 06 2021 - 10:02, said:

that's basically what happens when there's 3 high tier arty on an open funnel map with tons of TDs when everyone is afraid to move.  they do their best to play in the joke manner referred to as "arty safe" while trying to eke out damage while RTY players REEEEEEEE about "spotteamidddiot"

dunniteowl #17 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 17:40

Major

• Players
  • 34607 battles

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

Arty isn't your issue.  Please take the time to check the links out in this link: The WoT Welcome Package (version 1).  This will help you with many things, including how to stay "arty safer."

There is no such thing as "Arty Safe."  It's like a security expert once told me, "You cannot 100% 'burglar proof' your home.  The best you can do is make your home look less attractive than your neighbors' homes."  Same with arty.  You can't 100% get away from it, though you CAN do things that make it harder for them to want to hit you.

RNG is the variable that produces the strange misses and low damage rolls (as well as hits that shouldn't have and high damage rolls) that effectively MIMIC the concepts of windage, accidental movement, shaking hands, dusty aiming reticle, hung over loader and gunner from the previous night's celebration on leave, etc.

There's no further need to smack SPGs with more disadvantage than they already have.  They are literally half their power from before the last major SPG change.  They are fine the way they are, even though I'd like to see 50% more pen than current.  Halving their pen and damage was a MAJOR Nerf and that was what they had last time.

I maintain, again, though, that arty isn't your issue.  Read The WoT Welcome Package (version 1) and learn more about the game mechanics, especially Vision and Spotting.  That will help you no matter what you find yourself dealing with in this game.  Arty is low on the totem pole of problems when it comes to playing direct fire units.  It might account for 10% of the times your fun is 'ruined.'   Arty triggers folks, because they can't shoot right back at it, so it seems to be more of a beast than it really is, because it induces a sense of helplessness that NO-ONE likes to feel.

Yup.  Working as intended.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

redplayermagnet #18 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 17:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36877 battles
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ

View PostDarntuff, on Apr 06 2021 - 10:22, said:

They play arty - it's the same thing.     I mean it's not like you see arty driving all over the map shotgunning people in the middle of a reload.....

in the old days it was like that city map you shotgun. but I play arty and have a moe's on  most of them . there things you shoot at and there things I don't bother with. I shoot at camper's choke points and hull downs and any cw tank or reward tanks. 105 no point  unless close to shot gun. the offender I use most is the 261 and am close to 3 marking it. but I find the damage module for arty bad I hit  a heavy for 9 to 250 damage every 24 sec if it does not bounce cuz I get 1/2 of them per match.. I can hit a med for 250 to 800 so I shoot at them more than the others. I don't like the stun effect that arty has nor the limited damage  output it but I make it work and  do like all the pm's i get for playing it lol. no-one likes getting hit by it but it is needed to break  up the dug in tds and the hull downer and the  spotters. maybe less the stun lower the damage and up the rate of fire or maybe less the range to make arty move more . I play my 261 close and move all around I don't sit in 1 place unless its a small map  I try to help the push or slow the push every battle and play the part. but these to much hate like stfu you playing arty we will not help you or  light tank and med tanks getting spotted next to you to get you spotted or "guys just arty just let them die." 

redplayermagnet #19 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 17:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36877 battles
  • [HARMZ] HARMZ

View PostLeaveIT2Beaver, on Apr 06 2021 - 08:36, said:

you sank my battle:arta:ship 

CAPTMUDDXX #20 Posted Apr 06 2021 - 18:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 18093 battles
  • [DAMN] DAMN

View PostS_I_Q, on Apr 06 2021 - 09:20, said:

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

What's to fix? If you are unhappy with SPGs and the spotting mechanics that reveals targets then submit as many support tickets as it takes for your ideas to be considered.

If you aren't willing to make that effort you have no valid reason to complain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users