Fixing arty unhappiness

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Dojji #61 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 03:29

Captain

• Players
  • 5255 battles

View PostS_I_Q, on Apr 06 2021 - 15:20, said:

There are so many complaints about spg's ie Arty. It's an everyday ear-full occurrence. They are part of the tanking world. However they do have unfair advantages.(I don't think I need to rehash those advantages) If you want to make it more fair and improve my crews moral...Why not put wind in the game(for spg's). Have a wind indicator, And make it as realistic as possible. That would limit the devastating unfair effect they have. And maybe me and my crew can make it back to the garage in one piece(for a change) and enjoy a plate of that spaghetti and meatballs I've been hearing about.

Thanks for listening

S-I-Q(1SOB)

No matter what they do with arty someone's going to be unhappy.  I think Wargaming long ago realized that their only option is to try to find a way to irritate the least number of people.

Honestly my biggest beef with arty right now isn't something that's going to be solved.  If you've played mid tiers  you know what I mean when I say the LEFH1B spam is ridiculous.  They're vastly overpowered compared to other arties and are the only artillery other than FV304 that can stun lock an unlucky tank, and even Berty can't do it from across the map

.  That won't get fixed sadly  because LEFH is a premium.

Edited by Dojji, Apr 09 2021 - 03:32.

linuxguru #62 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 03:33

Corporal

• Players
  • 4759 battles

View PostCAPTMUDDXX, on Apr 09 2021 - 03:23, said:

You shouldn't have been where you were.

As if it would matter?

And that is the funny part.. it don't matter where you are.

I have been face hugging a house/rock and a arty can still drop a shell on me from the other side of it. From across the map.

Dojji #63 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 03:37

Captain

• Players
  • 5255 battles

View Postlinuxguru, on Apr 09 2021 - 03:33, said:

As if it would matter?

And that is the funny part.. it don't matter where you are.

It absolutely matters where you are.  If you're in a zone that's usually arty safe and they plunk one into you then arty has relocated to make that happen.

As for me, my opinion is, that the punishment I take from the artillery just makes it all the more sweeter when I can slip in among them and take them all down

linuxguru #64 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 03:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 4759 battles

View PostDojji, on Apr 09 2021 - 03:29, said:

No matter what they do with arty someone's going to be unhappy.  I think Wargaming long ago realized that their only option is to try to find a way to irritate the least number of people.

Honestly my biggest beef with arty right now isn't something that's going to be solved.  If you've played mid tiers  you know what I mean when I say the LEFH1B spam is ridiculous.  They're vastly overpowered compared to other arties and are the only artillery other than FV304 that can stun lock an unlucky tank, and even Berty can't do it from across the map

.  That won't get fixed sadly  because LEFH is a premium.

M44 is just as broken. Damage through the roof. 350 damage at t6. 

The avg t6 tank has what 650hp?

The thing just deletes ppl

GSOR3301_AVR_FS #65 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 03:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 891 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

View PostDojji, on Apr 09 2021 - 02:37, said:

It absolutely matters where you are.  If you're in a zone that's usually arty safe and they plunk one into you then arty has relocated to make that happen.

To be fair, most large rocks or single houses are not arty-safe anyway since you can still be splashed, which ultimately means you aren't safe. If arty can even splash you purely for stun, you are not arty-safe, as it can still remove crew members even without doing any actual damage (such as this Rhino losing his driver from 0-damage splash by a GW E-100, or losing his driver to 0-damage Obj. 261 Splash).

The only truly arty-safe cover in the game is a large cluster of buildings or a very tall hill/mountain, which you most likely have to actually hug to actually be safe, and is usually voided if artillery moves (or if there are simply multiple artillery in the game that don't all just sit in the same position). Smaller obstructions are for the most part only effective in closer range because of shell arc. Unfortunately the more important parts of the map tend to be quite far away from artillery positions and don't generally have a lot of high cover around, though that high cover doesn't matter anyway if you are exposed when you poke to engage the tanks in front of you.

But hey, "just play arty-safe" amirite, it's what the idiot crowd will tell me. :P

Waarheid #66 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 15:12

Captain

• Players
  • 23541 battles

Boo hoo. A red player sent me back to the garage. If it's happening because arty hit you then it would have happened if any other class hit you. I honestly can't remember but one game this week where arty sent me back to the garage. I play around 15-20 games each night after work.  

Learn to deal with the complexity of the game. 

linuxguru #67 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 19:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 4759 battles

View PostWaarheid, on Apr 09 2021 - 15:12, said:

Boo hoo. A red player sent me back to the garage. If it's happening because arty hit you then it would have happened if any other class hit you. I honestly can't remember but one game this week where arty sent me back to the garage. I play around 15-20 games each night after work.  

Learn to deal with the complexity of the game. 

It's not about being sent back to the garage. It's about the sheer advantage they have in matches. They can hit for 500+ damage, kill crews, take out modules, and stun your tank from across the map afk in the corner. They don't have ANY risk for doing this, and that's the issue i have with them mostly. With a bit of in game chat,2 arty can focus a main target once they get spotted and its pretty much game over for that target, again from across the map afk in the corner.

Have you ever played a scout tank?.. scouting in a bush and lighting up all targets only to see one target you know you can kill VERY easy. but at the same time you KNOW your going to get focused..

That's called risk vs rewards.

Arty don't have that period.

choSenfroZen_1 #68 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 20:26

Captain

• Players
  • 6347 battles
  • [GITS] GITS

View Postlinuxguru, on Apr 09 2021 - 10:20, said:

It's not about being sent back to the garage. It's about the sheer advantage they have in matches. They can hit for 500+ damage, kill crews, take out modules, and stun your tank from across the map afk in the corner. They don't have ANY risk for doing this, and that's the issue i have with them mostly. With a bit of in game chat,2 arty can focus a main target once they get spotted and its pretty much game over for that target, again from across the map afk in the corner.

Have you ever played a scout tank?.. scouting in a bush and lighting up all targets only to see one target you know you can kill VERY easy. but at the same time you KNOW your going to get focused..

That's called risk vs rewards.

Arty don't have that period.

We could go back to when arty really was over powered.

500 hp, ha.

One shotting a tier ten heavy, was near orgasmic.

Risks are involved in its drawbacks.

For it to be useful with its limitations, it must use a degree of patience and anticipation to choose targets.

Arty has very slow traverse times. Slow aiming and slow loading.

Arty was made highly visible, compared. Arty`s spotting was cut way back.

It depends entirely on teamwork, blind shots are rarely successful.

It cannot really defend itself, as it is designed for longer range.

The only class that has people who play the game just to hunt it down.

So, if artillery is bugging you. Choose one of the above, and use it.

My suggestion is, make sure arty shots at you are the blind ones. It is his spotters who cause you the problem.

Edited by choSenfroZen_1, Apr 09 2021 - 20:27.

SynapticSqueeze #69 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 21:08

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11755 battles
  • [5LINE] 5LINE

Meddling with the minutia of the arty mechanics is just a bandaid. Games with 1 arty is fine. Games with 2 can be fine, depending on circumstances. Games with 3 arty is a miserable experience in nearly all cases. Seems like an easy fix.

Counter-battery can be done, but it's pretty rare and not that easy to do. I make a point of scouring for enemy arty tracers when I am in an SPG to try and do missions. It's pretty satisfying when it works, but catching the tracer takes both good timing and looking in the right place. I can't think of a single time where I was countered myself, and I am usually too lazy to move around since no one ever counters. The risk of that is near enough to zero.

Know_where #70 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 21:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 495 battles

View PostSynapticSqueeze, on Apr 09 2021 - 12:08, said:

Meddling with the minutia of the arty mechanics is just a bandaid. Games with 1 arty is fine. Games with 2 can be fine, depending on circumstances. Games with 3 arty is a miserable experience in nearly all cases. Seems like an easy fix.

Counter-battery can be done, but it's pretty rare and not that easy to do. I make a point of scouring for enemy arty tracers when I am in an SPG to try and do missions. It's pretty satisfying when it works, but catching the tracer takes both good timing and looking in the right place. I can't think of a single time where I was countered myself, and I am usually too lazy to move around since no one ever counters. The risk of that is near enough to zero.

This counter battery.

With all the Fkey messages available.

Why is there not one, where the object of enemy artillery love, can indicate where he thinks he got shot from?

Even better would be a polite request for someone to look .......here.

Edited by Know_where, Apr 09 2021 - 21:26.

GSOR3301_AVR_FS #71 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 22:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 891 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

View PostKnow_where, on Apr 09 2021 - 20:26, said:

This counter battery.

With all the Fkey messages available.

Why is there not one, where the object of enemy artillery love, can indicate where he thinks he got shot from?

Because it wouldn't really make a difference? Hell doesn't that silly automessage mod list the square on the map where the shell hit from or does it purely list the reload, I forget, haven't seen anyone using it for awhile.

I have a habit of marking where I got shot from, standard tanks and artillery alike, though more so the latter because usually I'll spot the standard tank shooting me. I've been doing this for awhile, almost everytime an artillery shoots me in a battle over the course of thousands of battles. I can assure you it has made no effect on the number of counterbattery kills I've seen. I'll continue to do it for the good of myself (reminding myself where the arty is because most of the pillocks don't know how to use WASD) and for my team, but it does grind my nerves when someone says to just ping artillery so friendlies will counter, forgetting that that requires them to be any bit competent and even want to go through the whole process of counterbattery anyway.

Trauglodyte #72 Posted Apr 09 2021 - 23:53

Major

• Players
  • 26321 battles
  • [GSH] GSH

There is still a lot of work, that needs to be done to artillery.  But, no amount of talking about it is ever going to quench the hatred of anti-artillery players.  It could do 1 point of damage, every 60 seconds, and they'd still complain because "reasons".

View Postdunniteowl, on Apr 07 2021 - 21:30, said:

Check my profile. 14 CBs and counting.  Those 14 represent effort beyond thousands of attempts to fully CB Red Arty.  I tend to play short range units (contrary to popular derogation, not ALL SPGs CAN sit at the redline and lob shells) and I have to get up pretty close to do ANY CB in them.

I have 7 so you're twice as active at it than me :)

Edited by Trauglodyte, Apr 09 2021 - 23:58.

linuxguru #73 Posted Apr 10 2021 - 01:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 4759 battles

View PostchoSenfroZen_1, on Apr 09 2021 - 20:26, said:

We could go back to when arty really was over powered.

500 hp, ha.

One shotting a tier ten heavy, was near orgasmic.

Risks are involved in its drawbacks.

For it to be useful with its limitations, it must use a degree of patience and anticipation to choose targets.

Arty has very slow traverse times. Slow aiming and slow loading.

Arty was made highly visible, compared. Arty`s spotting was cut way back.

It depends entirely on teamwork, blind shots are rarely successful.

It cannot really defend itself, as it is designed for longer range.

The only class that has people who play the game just to hunt it down.

So, if artillery is bugging you. Choose one of the above, and use it.

My suggestion is, make sure arty shots at you are the blind ones. It is his spotters who cause you the problem.

-- "My suggestion is, make sure arty shots at you are the blind ones. It is his spotters who cause you the problem."

So, your suggesting i go sit in the corner to?. Cause the chances of NOT getting spotted is zero (be realistic man).  Sounds to me that you are defending something that's flat out broken in hope's that it don't get "fixed".

-- "Risks are involved in its drawbacks."

drawbacks??? ROFL.. What drawback's do arty have for firing a shell?. The ONLY threat a arty has is a yoloing scout TRYING to spot then on purpose, and that don't happen to often

Edited by linuxguru, Apr 10 2021 - 01:21.

choSenfroZen_1 #74 Posted Apr 10 2021 - 02:34

Captain

• Players
  • 6347 battles
  • [GITS] GITS

View Postlinuxguru, on Apr 09 2021 - 16:20, said:

-- "My suggestion is, make sure arty shots at you are the blind ones. It is his spotters who cause you the problem."

So, your suggesting i go sit in the corner to?. Cause the chances of NOT getting spotted is zero (be realistic man).  Sounds to me that you are defending something that's flat out broken in hope's that it don't get "fixed".

-- "Risks are involved in its drawbacks."

drawbacks??? ROFL.. What drawback's do arty have for firing a shell?. The ONLY threat a arty has is a yoloing scout TRYING to spot then on purpose, and that don't happen to often

You read a lot into this.

Artillery is effectively blind.

Stay out of its view. You take that however you wish. If you spend to much time spotted, do not blame the game.

Get spotted, simple get unspotted. Spotted in a bush, you go back there, not the games fault.

You are in control of your actions, if you choose to play exposed, do not blame the game.

No one said hide in the back, that means arty wins without a shot. Relocate. 

If you cannot read the list of drawbacks provided on your own, I am at a loss.

If a player that takes 25-30-50 seconds to load, picks on you, do not blame the game.

Something that take 10 seconds just to be pointing at you, than another 5 or 6 seconds to aim, picks on you. Do not blame the game.

Then..........an average of 45% hit rate.

OMFG, if that still hits you regularly, do not blame the game.

If you are a constant victim, that means 14 teammates are not.

Besides good teamwork, it speaks volumes, something you are doing attracts the attention of arty.

The usual is not moving. 2 shots, move, 2 shots move. Spotted, move far. Move more.

A stationary target is prime meat.

Edited by choSenfroZen_1, Apr 10 2021 - 02:40.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users