A Concept: World of Tanks 2.0

balance World of Tanks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Prefered Balance Methods (34 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battle in order to participate this poll.

Which do you think would be more effective for rebalancing Premium tanks?

1. Nerf all premium tanks to follow the previous policy of premium performance. (7 votes [20.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

2. Buff all standard tanks to follow the precious policy of premium performance (7 votes [20.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

3. None of the above (20 votes [58.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

Which do you think should be implemented to balance premium ammo and premium tanks?

1. Increase the damage of standard rounds for all non-premium tanks. (3 votes [8.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

2. Decrease damage of premium ammo only on premium tanks. (2 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

3. Decrease the damage of premium ammo on all tanks. (15 votes [40.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.54%

4. None of these fix the problem. (17 votes [45.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.95%

Vote Hide poll

TJ0814 #1 Posted Jun 29 2021 - 20:59

Private

• Players
  • 4383 battles

Oh man, how many times has this kind of post been made huh? Well here's another one. Let's see if I can make it any different. I hope you like to read.

A concept: World of Tanks 2.0

I think we can all agree that World of Tanks is plagued with problems and controversial solutions, mechanics, and policies. The game is, what, eleven years old now? I think it's in need of a rather large change of pace. The game is trying to hold onto things that it should probably just let go. This will be broken up into as many readable parts as I can manage, but in the end I’m really going to make it an organized rant.

Sections:

• World of Tanks biggest problem​
  • The easiest fix
  • Sub fixes

Mandatory Disclaimer

So before I start  I guess I should put out the disclaimer that this is my personal opinion. There are probably an innumerable amount of things that could change to make the game more balanced. The things I'm going to mention are things that would lead to a game I could play again everyday for hours on end. Okay? Let's begin.

World of Tanks Biggest Problem: Standard Battles

World of Tanks main gamemode has been standard battles for the entire eleven years it's been here. A solid 15 vs 15 game mode on roughly 1000m x 1000m maps. Some of the most prevalent problems the game has is map balance as well as tank balance on specific maps. 

Map Balance:

Maps have taken a trend to be “fit for all”, when in reality they provide mediocre placement for all. For example, let's take the map Pilsen. How much of the map is actually a viable battleground for any tank in specific? The middle of the factory is a death sentence most of the time. The dune on the east is a similar trap for light tanks to be blasted by TDs sitting in the back. The west is a camp fest with only two and a half usable lanes. ( I’m considering the 1-2 line half usable because if you play it right, it can be a decent spot with support). Meanwhile, medium tanks have the confusing luxury of trying to figure out if they can brawl with heavies or try to get out spotted by light tanks. On a class by class basis, there's probably only 20% of the map that's actually playable while being viable to your team

While we’re on the topic of playable area, look at how much space is completely inaccessible on some of these new maps. What the actual heck is Empire's Border supposed to be? Almost half of the map is completely unusable. On top of that, it takes 3-4 minutes if you want to go from one flank to the next. As soon as you commit to a side, that's it. There's no going back. 

Map Balance by Tank:

With this level of limited viable playing area, battles become super congested. You can have up to five tanks with very similar play styles trying to use the same exact points on the map. Let's consider that they all have a valid reason to be there and suddenly you’re fighting your own team for position. Just think about how many tanks we have with nearly identical playstyles. If a Type 5, E100, and Maus are all on the same side, which one has more right to use their armor on a corner? With the around 600 tanks in the game, the difference between some of them are so negligible that you’ll really never notice how one is better than the other. Medium tanks can have vastly different features but you’ll see them all going to the same spot because, well, where else are they supposed to go?

The game is just far too advanced these days to still be running on the old standard battle. They even have somewhat acknowledged this for themselves recently. Ranked battles team size has been reduced by half to give players more options to be effective. You’re competing with your team less when there's only seven of you. 

The easiest fix: Make Frontline the Main gamemode. 

Okay so this is where you either hate me or agree with me. Making Frontline the main gamemode would be a massive change for the entire ecosystem of the game (Thus the 2.0 claim). However, I truly believe this is what's best for the game. Frontline has been the most dynamic gameplay I’ve experienced in World of Tanks since I started playing. A massive map 9x larger than standard battle maps while only doubling the players per side. With a map this large, any tank can find a spot to fight in any of the three fronts. The shear size of the map alone massively rebalances the entire field of tanks. You no longer have to battle within 100m of nine other tanks.While this can still happen, you have the option to space out or even just up and leave. 

Then there's the respawns. I think a big part of what makes World of Tanks unique is that you can’t respawn. It’s one and done, but I think for casual everyday play this is a severe punishment. Let's say you’re grinding a tank and you have a spot of bad luck and are ammo racked first hit. You now have to wait at max 14 minutes before you can use that tank again. This is one of my biggest personal gripes. It teaches you nothing other than trying to preserve yourself as long as possible. This is what trains players to be afraid of making aggressive pushes and taking strategic positions. They don't want to be punished for trying. In the frontline, you have options. The tank only takes a couple minutes to come back and you can still have an effect on the fight while you’re waiting. Maybe you got hit by a TD hidden in a bush. You can now take that knowledge and either avoid him or take a light tank and weed him out. You can also grind two tanks while never having to leave the battle. You stay in the zone while focusing on playing the game as opposed to trying to survive and make the most of what health you have. 

I personally think that Frontline as a replacement to standard battles is the catalyst to find a sense of true balance in the game as well as a much needed refresh to the game. It can even be a much more attractive marketing campaign advertising massive 30v30 tank battles on massive maps. Think Battlefield 4 but with tanks. This is really the brunt of this idea, but a lot of it really comes together better in the next sections. This idea by itself probably wont make the game better. 

Sub Fixes:

Community Involvement: 

This would be a great time to open the game up to community input. They don't have many maps made for this game mode, so they could open up to their creative community and start taking in community generated maps. Credit for this idea goes to:

Block Quote

“JakeTheMystic

Or do none of that and just let the community design some damn maps. Put them up on a community hub to let people download them and drive around in a "team training" environment, just single-player or let anyone who wants to join download the maps themselves. Drive around, see how it works. Each month hold a community poll to see if there are any community maps they would like added. In the settings let players choose if they want to play just the vanilla maps or if they would like community maps as well. That alone would solve at least 60% of the problems. 

People who are really into map design would love it. Sure some would just make some garbage maps, but the dedicated community members could do a way better job at making maps than the devs will ever be. 

Heck, even if they were designed on the RU and the NA could vote if they wanted it, then let it be so. Different servers could have different map pools based on what the community wants.”

This is not the only place where they can involve the community. Camos and 3D skins can be community submitted (think Warframe Workshop) and at the end of each month, a couple skins and camos could be added to the game. Wargaming could really use getting more in touch with their community as a whole. 

Arty Balance:

I believe that arty could be completely reverted back, at least capable of doing damage. Maybe don’t bring back old accuracy, but the original damage model would fit fine here. The problem with arty is that they can hit the entire map from one corner in a standard battle. In frontline, there's a cap to how many arty there can be, there's 2x the number of players, and 9x the amount of map to cover. If arty is going to be in the game, it should be usable. I think this is the best way to please arty as well as those getting hit by it. Yes it will hurt, but it shouldn’t really be too often. However I think we should keep the recent changes involving the arty shell tracer and indication skill. This one would probably be a big debate but not as large as the ones I’m going to get into next. 

Rework the balance between premium and standard tanks:

This one is much more specific to tier 8 and below. I personally don't see a problem with reward tanks being strong. As long as you can literally buy it, then a reward is a reward (Lets just hope you deserve it). However when it comes to the modern style tier 8 premiums, oh boy what a mess. Remember when premiums were worse than standard 8s? Which is usually why they got preferential matchmaking? And their main benefit was that they made considerably more money than standard tanks? Yeah where did that policy go? Why is the Obj. 252U and IS-3A better than just about any other tier 8 heavy option? Why is the Bourrasque and Progetto 46 better than any standard tier 8 medium? This has gotta change, and I propose two options: 

1. Nerf all premium tanks to follow the previous policy of premium performance. 
  2. Buff all standard tanks to follow the precious policy of premium performance

Beginning to see why it's 2.0 yet? This would be a major overhaul to the game. Changing tons of tanks would definitely take some time and a lot of testing. They would probably have to test each tier or line individually. There would be more public tests than we would know what to do with. Unless they got creative with it.

Shell Rebalance:

Here's a way to nail two birds with one stone. You can rebalance standard vs premium while also changing the balance between premium shells and standard shells. Here's my proposal:

1. Increase the damage of standard rounds for all non-premium tanks. ​
  2. Decrease damage of premium ammo only on premium tanks.

This isn’t my idea by any stretch, but I’ve never heard anyone mention it like this. Through this, you can buff standard tanks and nerf premiums all without touching a single stat on the tanks itself. This might need quite a bit of testing and adjusting, but it might just change the balance enough that premium tanks are back to the way they should be. This will also prevent them from having to change every tank and only the ones that still need it. As for the HE changes, I don’t care that you can’t HE spam my E-100 to death with your E-100 anymore. Good riddance. 

Alright. I think I’ve pushed enough buttons for one post, what do you think? Will this ever happen? Nope. But is it fun to think and talk about? I’d say yes. There are probably plenty of other changes that I missed or things that I haven’t considered as well, so feel free to break this idea down if you want.  If you made it this far, then you must really care about the game and want to see it get better. I wish us all luck in this adventure.

GG.

slavsickle #2 Posted Jun 29 2021 - 21:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9164 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

I glimpsed over your stuff and I like it so far. Poll is great but I disagree on giving adding more damage to standard shells, damage power creep in this game is a real issue, some tanks have way too much alpha for their tier. Bourrqsque hitting both shells on same tier tank for half their HP is insane.

I voted on reducing Prem ammo damage slightly, maybe 10% lower alpha all around.

KaiserWilhelmShatner #3 Posted Jun 29 2021 - 21:33

Major

• Players
  • 17801 battles
  • [-LNF-] -LNF-

While theyre at it, BIGGER MAPS!!!!

1km x 1km postage stamp maps was understandable 12 years ago.   Now it is just a joke when 1 tank with decent view range can go to the center of the map and spot nearly all of it. 

redjkent #4 Posted Jun 29 2021 - 21:38

Major

• Players
  • 133208 battles
  • [Y2KBB] Y2KBB

View PostTJ0814, on Jun 29 2021 - 19:59, said:

Oh man, how many times has this kind of post been made huh? Well here's another one. Let's see if I can make it any different. I hope you like to read.

I think we can all agree that World of Tanks is plagued with problems and controversial solutions, mechanics, and policies. The game is, what, eleven years old now? I think it's in need of a rather large change of pace. The game is trying to hold onto things that it should probably just let go. This will be broken up into as many readable parts as I can manage, but in the end I’m really going to make it an organized rant.

Sections:

• World of Tanks biggest problem​
  • The easiest fix
  • Sub fixes

Mandatory Disclaimer

So before I start  I guess I should put out the disclaimer that this is my personal opinion. There are probably an innumerable amount of things that could change to make the game more balanced. The things I'm going to mention are things that would lead to a game I could play again everyday for hours on end. Okay? Let's begin.

World of Tanks Biggest Problem: Standard Battles

World of Tanks main gamemode has been standard battles for the entire eleven years it's been here. A solid 15 vs 15 game mode on roughly 1000m x 1000m maps. Some of the most prevalent problems the game has is map balance as well as tank balance on specific maps. 

Map Balance:

Maps have taken a trend to be “fit for all”, when in reality they provide mediocre placement for all. For example, let's take the map Pilsen. How much of the map is actually a viable battleground for any tank in specific? The middle of the factory is a death sentence most of the time. The dune on the east is a similar trap for light tanks to be blasted by TDs sitting in the back. The west is a camp fest with only two and a half usable lanes. ( I’m considering the 1-2 line half usable because if you play it right, it can be a decent spot with support). Meanwhile, medium tanks have the confusing luxury of trying to figure out if they can brawl with heavies or try to get out spotted by light tanks. On a class by class basis, there's probably only 20% of the map that's actually playable while being viable to your team

While we’re on the topic of playable area, look at how much space is completely inaccessible on some of these new maps. What the actual heck is Empire's Border supposed to be? Almost half of the map is completely unusable. On top of that, it takes 3-4 minutes if you want to go from one flank to the next. As soon as you commit to a side, that's it. There's no going back. 

Map Balance by Tank:

With this level of limited viable playing area, battles become super congested. You can have up to five tanks with very similar play styles trying to use the same exact points on the map. Let's consider that they all have a valid reason to be there and suddenly you’re fighting your own team for position. Just think about how many tanks we have with nearly identical playstyles. If a Type 5, E100, and Maus are all on the same side, which one has more right to use their armor on a corner? With the around 600 tanks in the game, the difference between some of them are so negligible that you’ll really never notice how one is better than the other. Medium tanks can have vastly different features but you’ll see them all going to the same spot because, well, where else are they supposed to go?

The game is just far too advanced these days to still be running on the old standard battle. They even have somewhat acknowledged this for themselves recently. Ranked battles team size has been reduced by half to give players more options to be effective. You’re competing with your team less when there's only seven of you. 

The easiest fix: Make Frontline the Main gamemode. 

Okay so this is where you either hate me or agree with me. Making Frontline the main gamemode would be a massive change for the entire ecosystem of the game (Thus the 2.0 claim). However, I truly believe this is what's best for the game. Frontline has been the most dynamic gameplay I’ve experienced in World of Tanks since I started playing. A massive map 9x larger than standard battle maps while only doubling the players per side. With a map this large, any tank can find a spot to fight in any of the three fronts. The shear size of the map alone massively rebalances the entire field of tanks. You no longer have to battle within 100m of nine other tanks.While this can still happen, you have the option to space out or even just up and leave. 

Then there's the respawns. I think a big part of what makes World of Tanks unique is that you can’t respawn. It’s one and done, but I think for casual everyday play this is a severe punishment. Let's say you’re grinding a tank and you have a spot of bad luck and are ammo racked first hit. You now have to wait at max 14 minutes before you can use that tank again. This is one of my biggest personal gripes. It teaches you nothing other than trying to preserve yourself as long as possible. This is what trains players to be afraid of making aggressive pushes and taking strategic positions. They don't want to be punished for trying. In the frontline, you have options. The tank only takes a couple minutes to come back and you can still have an effect on the fight while you’re waiting. Maybe you got hit by a TD hidden in a bush. You can now take that knowledge and either avoid him or take a light tank and weed him out. You can also grind two tanks while never having to leave the battle. You stay in the zone while focusing on playing the game as opposed to trying to survive and make the most of what health you have. 

I personally think that Frontline as a replacement to standard battles is the catalyst to find a sense of true balance in the game as well as a much needed refresh to the game. It can even be a much more attractive marketing campaign advertising massive 30v30 tank battles on massive maps. Think Battlefield 4 but with tanks. This is really the brunt of this idea, but a lot of it really comes together better in the next sections. This idea by itself probably wont make the game better. 

Sub Fixes:

Community Involvement: 

This would be a great time to open the game up to community input. They don't have many maps made for this game mode, so they could open up to their creative community and start taking in community generated maps. Credit for this idea goes to:

This is not the only place where they can involve the community. Camos and 3D skins can be community submitted (think Warframe Workshop) and at the end of each month, a couple skins and camos could be added to the game. Wargaming could really use getting more in touch with their community as a whole. 

Arty Balance:

I believe that arty could be completely reverted back, at least capable of doing damage. Maybe don’t bring back old accuracy, but the original damage model would fit fine here. The problem with arty is that they can hit the entire map from one corner in a standard battle. In frontline, there's a cap to how many arty there can be, there's 2x the number of players, and 9x the amount of map to cover. If arty is going to be in the game, it should be usable. I think this is the best way to please arty as well as those getting hit by it. Yes it will hurt, but it shouldn’t really be too often. However I think we should keep the recent changes involving the arty shell tracer and indication skill. This one would probably be a big debate but not as large as the ones I’m going to get into next. 

Rework the balance between premium and standard tanks:

This one is much more specific to tier 8 and below. I personally don't see a problem with reward tanks being strong. As long as you can literally buy it, then a reward is a reward (Lets just hope you deserve it). However when it comes to the modern style tier 8 premiums, oh boy what a mess. Remember when premiums were worse than standard 8s? Which is usually why they got preferential matchmaking? And their main benefit was that they made considerably more money than standard tanks? Yeah where did that policy go? Why is the Obj. 252U and IS-3A better than just about any other tier 8 heavy option? Why is the Bourrasque and Progetto 46 better than any standard tier 8 medium? This has gotta change, and I propose two options: 

1. Nerf all premium tanks to follow the previous policy of premium performance. 
  2. Buff all standard tanks to follow the precious policy of premium performance

Beginning to see why it's 2.0 yet? This would be a major overhaul to the game. Changing tons of tanks would definitely take some time and a lot of testing. They would probably have to test each tier or line individually. There would be more public tests than we would know what to do with. Unless they got creative with it.

Shell Rebalance:

Here's a way to nail two birds with one stone. You can rebalance standard vs premium while also changing the balance between premium shells and standard shells. Here's my proposal:

1. Increase the damage of standard rounds for all non-premium tanks. ​
  2. Decrease damage of premium ammo only on premium tanks.

This isn’t my idea by any stretch, but I’ve never heard anyone mention it like this. Through this, you can buff standard tanks and nerf premiums all without touching a single stat on the tanks itself. This might need quite a bit of testing and adjusting, but it might just change the balance enough that premium tanks are back to the way they should be. This will also prevent them from having to change every tank and only the ones that still need it. As for the HE changes, I don’t care that you can’t HE spam my E-100 to death with your E-100 anymore. Good riddance. 

Alright. I think I’ve pushed enough buttons for one post, what do you think? Will this ever happen? Nope. But is it fun to think and talk about? I’d say yes. There are probably plenty of other changes that I missed or things that I haven’t considered as well, so feel free to break this idea down if you want.  If you made it this far, then you must really care about the game and want to see it get better. I wish us all luck in this adventure.

GG.

there not nerfing premiums cause us people that actually pay for the games upkeep will get upset and leave then the only ones left will be freeloaders, i suggest world of tanks go to a monthly subscription service want to play a video game you pay for it, in the past every time you wanted to play an arcade game you put in a quarter nothing is free in life

mrtanker58 #5 Posted Jun 29 2021 - 21:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

View PostTJ0814, on Jun 29 2021 - 19:59, said:

I disagree with EVERYTHING you said. 

I like the current game better than your 2.0.

I am glad you are not in charge at WG.

Bl4ckBaron #6 Posted Jun 29 2021 - 21:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 122 battles
  • [AFRIK] AFRIK

Make Frontline the main game mode!

Fully agree.

sheler #7 Posted Jun 29 2021 - 22:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 77697 battles
  • [MSFTR] MSFTR
Ha Ha Frontlines was not created by wargaming. It was developed by an outside gaming company. Wargaming has to pay them for the use of the mode. So that’s one idea that’s right out the window. And yes I do agree that Frontlines offers a better gaming experience then pubs.

TJ0814 #8 Posted Jun 30 2021 - 01:04

Private

• Players
  • 4383 battles

View Postsheler, on Jun 29 2021 - 22:02, said:

Ha Ha Frontlines was not created by wargaming. It was developed by an outside gaming company. Wargaming has to pay them for the use of the mode. So that’s one idea that’s right out the window. And yes I do agree that Frontlines offers a better gaming experience then pubs.

Wow really? I didn't know that. :facepalm:

TJ0814 #9 Posted Jun 30 2021 - 01:07

Private

• Players
  • 4383 battles

View Postslavsickle, on Jun 29 2021 - 21:27, said:

I glimpsed over your stuff and I like it so far. Poll is great but I disagree on giving adding more damage to standard shells, damage power creep in this game is a real issue, some tanks have way too much alpha for their tier. Bourrqsque hitting both shells on same tier tank for half their HP is insane.

I voted on reducing Prem ammo damage slightly, maybe 10% lower alpha all around.

Now that you mention it, I also agree that a lot of tanks recently have had pretty high damage. I just wanted to see how bad people thing the difference is.  

JakeTheMystic #10 Posted Jun 30 2021 - 09:57

Major

• Players
  • 27991 battles
  • [M3GA] M3GA

View Postredjkent, on Jun 29 2021 - 11:38, said:

there not nerfing premiums cause us people that actually pay for the games upkeep will get upset and leave then the only ones left will be freeloaders, i suggest world of tanks go to a monthly subscription service want to play a video game you pay for it, in the past every time you wanted to play an arcade game you put in a quarter nothing is free in life

Though you can look at most other F2P games out there today as see most paid content is solely cosmetic or supported by a battle pass. The mentality that WG has to release a new premium every month with each being better than the last is the reason this game has been on a decline in recent years. While people used to argue whether tier 6/8 clan wars should return so new players/clans could have a reason to introduce themselves to a competitive atmosphere, that is no longer a possibility solely because the meta would consist only of overpowered premium tanks that have already destroyed pub play. 

Also tagged with balance, World of Tanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users