Frontline 2021: What's New?

frontline

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Elias_K_Grodin #1 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 15:34

Community Number Cruncher

• Verified Military
  • 1394 battles

Have you missed epic 30v30 tank clashes, Commanders?

Frontline, one of the most exciting modes in World of Tanks, will return with several adjustments.

One week-long Stage awaits you each month, from August through November 2021. (Note that Frontline will be unavailable between these Stages.)

Learn all the details and precise specifications here!

Squashballs #2 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 16:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45217 battles
  • [PHASE] PHASE

nobody wanted tier 9s in frontline. if anything we asked to play different tiers as in the entire game was only tier 9 or only tier 10 not mixing tier 9s with the 8s in frontline. i play frontline to get away from fighting against higher tiers and making credits. i dont know anybody who is happy about this change.

warrends #3 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 16:21

Major

• Players
  • 24265 battles
Thank you.

AirCrewChief #4 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 16:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26981 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

Well, I'm sorry to be a pessimist but...

FrontLines lost a lot of appeal for me when "combat reserves" were added.  Originally FL was a simple, fun mode; you took a tier VIII tank and fought against other tier VIII tanks.  Simple.  Easy.  FUN.  Then WG  evidently thought it'd be fun to give players the ability to see more and kill more(combat reserves) without any skill or risk involved.  So now you weren't playing against tier VIII tanks...you were trying NOT to be destroyed by air-strikes and artillery.  Now WG has added minefields.  MINEFIELDS?  SERIOUSLY?  

Here's how artillery, air-strikes, and mines SHOULD work.  Make the player temporarily GET OUT of their vehicle for the length of time it takes to actually perform the combat reserve.  If you're doing a recon/airstrike, you are out of your tank until the flight is over.  If you're doing an artillery strike, you're out of your tank until the barrage has been completed.  You can't see what your tank sees, you can't move it, you can't shoot.  That puts an element of risk into using Combat Reserves.

With this new addition of being able to field a tier IX once the second objectives begin to be taken, WG has removed the single-tier aspect of FrontLlines.  I do not agree with WGs statement that this will allow players who have tier IX(tech-tree or reward) tanks to play them more.  I play my tier IXs nearly every day.  I enjoy them, even in matches against tier Xs. 

I'm thinking that as soon as the tier IXs are 'unlocked' in a match, everyone is going to do anything they can to get out of the tier VIII tank they're in so they can get into a tier IX.  I envision headlong rushes into enemy fire, drownings, driving off cliffs, and other "get out now" actions becoming more common.

WG, if you're listening, I certainly get that you have a desire to see all tiers of tanks used.  I love playing all tiers.  So why not make FrontLines year round, but with a different, SINGLE tier every other month?  Players would compete in tier IV(Jan-Feb), V(Mar-Apr), VI(May-Jun), VII(Jul-Aug), VIII(Sep-Oct), and IX(Nov-Dec) FrontLines.  Leave the first three tiers alone, and leave tier X for Grand Battles.  Also...get rid of combat reserves unless you're going to add some substantial element of risk to using them, like the idea above about having to 'leave' your tank for the duration.

Just my opinion.

Edited by AirCrewChief, Jul 15 2021 - 16:35.

mrtanker58 #5 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 16:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

Well, like everything in the game, WG has RUINED Frontline with the addition of tier 9 tanks. 

What made Frontline fun is that it was ONE TIER only AND you could solely play tier 8 premiums.  I played many matches with only 2-3 tanks and I was able to earn credits and get crew training, but now WG has added tier 9 tanks which will be MANDATORY to play since the firepower gap between tier 8 and 9 tanks is MASSIVE. 

Now, defenders can immediately re-spawn near objectives in VERY OP tier 9 heavy tanks to defend key objectives or mediums like the 430/T54 or fast heavies like the T10 or in OP reward tanks like the 1B or Phase I and completely DOMINATE tier 8 premium tanks. 

This also means the tier 9 EBR 90 will be heavily played so we will see even more wheelies, thanks WG.  We will also see tier 9 ARTY as tier 8 ARTY players press the J key and respawn in tier 9 ARTY at the first opportunity, thanks WG.   

If your team does not upgrade to tier 9's but continues to play tier 8 premiums which will happen then the game is over.  I know people will say winning does not matter, but pushing through the objectives prolongs each match so you earn more creds and get more crew training.

I had a feeling WG would ruin Frontline just like WG ruined Soccer and so many maps.  Well, it has happened.  

MagicCarpetMadeofSteel #6 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 17:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 14159 battles
  • [SOJI] SOJI

I actually like the look of some of these changes. It was frustrating that I only had what, 1 reserve when playing a heavy, while lights got 3 or 4.

However, adding tier 9s is a terrible idea. There is a large step up from tier 8 in terms of firepower, armor protection, view range, etc. (I mean seriously. A T-10 would wipe the floor against an IS-3. The KV-4 is a joke when facing off against the ST-I. The T95 can curbstomp a T28 without even trying. Literally EVERY tech tree tier 9 tank in the game would beat the tier 8 predecessor, assuming (mostly) equal skill and they start out at full health.) IIRC the team on defense won more often than not anyway

So ya, great job in ruining frontline. 

despero #7 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 17:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 81731 battles
  • [MEX] MEX
Can't wait to mop the floor with tier 8's while driving my Kampfpanzer 50t :trollface:

tomslikk #8 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 17:39

Private

• Players
  • 82390 battles
  • [XCOM] XCOM
I see they have gone out of their way to ruin it by adding tier 9's... we waited for a year for the return of frontlines only to have them allow tier 9's at a cost of the silver you ern. WG just keeps adding crap into the game and getting away from what works... allot of the old guys that supported the game for years are walking. Oh well there ar allot of games to play.

Meatslab #9 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 17:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20558 battles
  • [IRAGE] IRAGE

I don't play the game any longer. However, I do watch to see if there is any new content that might bring me back. Its hard to walk away and not look back.  

Frontline was fantastic when it first was released.  Slowey though it became less fun to play with revisions.  Adding tier 9s to what used to be all tier 8s will officially kill Frontline. RIP

SkunkButt #10 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 17:51

Captain

• Players
  • 191 battles
Well done, WG.  Way to destroy one of the most enjoyed modes for many players.  Dangling it like candy for a mere week at a time for a couple of months.  This needs to be a regular mode.

And then make it ever so much better by allowing tier 9 tanks into it.  The *REASON* people enjoyed FL is the fact that they were always facing the same tier tanks.  Now suddenly people will be facing OP reward tanks.  Not as freakishly OP as the tier 10s, but certainly better than the tech tree.   I'm sure newer players will enjoy getting facerolled by a Kamp50t or Concept 1B.

And they still haven't fixed the artillery strike to limit how many can be deployed in a given area within a few seconds.  Getting hit by one or two is annoying, perhaps deadly, but getting hit by five or ten is pure BS.  There's a reason they nerfed SPGs to three per battle (ONE per front in FL)... they need to do the same with the artillery strike in FL.  After three there should be no further effect to the vehicle.

View PostAirCrewChief, on Jul 15 2021 - 09:33, said:

I'm thinking that as soon as the tier IXs are 'unlocked' in a match, everyone is going to do anything they can to get out of the tier VIII tank they're in so they can get into a tier IX.  I envision headlong rushes into enemy fire, drownings, driving off cliffs, and other "get out now" actions becoming more common.

WG, if you're listening, I certainly get that you have a desire to see all tiers of tanks used.  I love playing all tiers.  So why not make FrontLines year round, but with a different, SINGLE tier every other month?  Players would compete in tier IV(Jan-Feb), V(Mar-Apr), VI(May-Jun), VII(Jul-Aug), VIII(Sep-Oct), and IX(Nov-Dec) FrontLines.  Leave the first three tiers alone, and leave tier X for Grand Battles.  Also...get rid of combat reserves unless you're going to add some substantial element of risk to using them, like the idea above about having to 'leave' your tank for the duration.

Yes, as soon as the second objective stage has been won/lost *EVERYONE* is going to be holding down their J key.  Just watch the right side and watch the kills suddenly become a complete flood of 'lost in battle' messages.  10 seconds later, not a tier 8 to be found except those run by scrubs and newbs - or purples laughing all the way to the bank.

I agree that there should be FL for different tiers every 2 months, but not 'just during the summer' - it should be year round, from tier 7 to 9.  No tier 10, ever.
This would effectively kill tier 10 reward tanks, which is worth applauding.  Whenever FL is on clan wars, advances, skirmishes all just dry up and blow away.  With far fewer clan wars no one will be [edited]about OP tier 10 reward tanks... as they only people doing clan wars would already have them and, finally, be fighting only their peers.

wayne_1313 #11 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 17:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17967 battles

piss poor ideas 

ruin the only mode that works

give us more dog tags while your at it  < Sarcasm > 

Cowcat137 #12 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 18:01

Major

• Players
  • 23712 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
I was hoping for a desert map to be introduced this year. Alas.

Casual_Boops #13 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 18:11

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 41499 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
One of the main attractions of FL, same tier MM, is now gone. Great job taking a golden egg and dropping it on the sidewalk, guys. I'll play it a little to get a feel for it, but I'm already turned off by having to play against tier 9 tanks. Other changes seem good on the surface.

gmbeaker #14 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 18:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 56354 battles
TIER 9  IN FRONTLINE!   

Snohoe #15 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 18:18

Captain

• Players
  • 20744 battles
  • [AIMED] AIMED
Making it +1 -1 is a terrible idea. one of the best things about it was that you fought tanks on a equal playing field.  At least its not a required mode to play now but I would have liked it as a alternative to Randoms...

gmbeaker #16 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 18:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 56354 battles

tier 9 in frontline!   stupidest idea yet. FIRE and remove from your company! everyone who thought that this was good good idea  You very ignorant, and no clue why people play frontline at all.   can you stop trying fix good things in the game that people enjoy and wait for months  to play and  company come up this  hairbrain  idea that full of crap  putting tier 9  into frontline,

TRY having 60 -80 maps avail and switch them around monthly in rotation month to month if want come smart idea to do,     remove steel hunters and dumb modes most people hate!   that productive.  BUT CHRIST SAKE dont put  tier 9  in frontlines

mrtanker58 #17 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 19:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

Now you can play THREE WHEELIES in constant respawns. 

Lynx

EBR 75

EBR 90

There are players who will play nothing but WHEELIES all game long. 

Frontline will not be nothing but completely BROKEN and unrealistic WHEELIES which are USELESS in real life combat and completely UNHISTORICAL.

Edited by mrtanker58, Jul 15 2021 - 19:04.

zoomer96 #18 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 19:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 43271 battles
I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things

UNITGX48 #19 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 19:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 28306 battles
  • [LOWJO] LOWJO

nah I'm just logging in to say it

Tier 9's getting mixed with 8's in frontline is a God awful idea that is going to kill the mode for a lot of people. No one wants to fight a 1B or a Phase 1 in a KV-5. No one wants to fight a Kpz 50t in a T-44 or a Panther... And literally no one wants to see the tier 9 french wheelchair doing wheelchair things on tier 8s. Literally the second the an inland sector is taken everyone is going to J out to grab a 9 if they own one and its going to snowball the attackers so hard when a wave of tier 9 tanks suddenly floods the sector over still potentially being guarded by a pack of tier 8s.

If you really want to allow a 9, Only give One to the first person to hit general as a "Hero" reward, or throw it to the best player on the failing team to give them a chance to stop a snowball.

mrtanker58 #20 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 19:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

By adding tier 9 tanks, WG just DRAMATICALLY INCREASED GOLD SPAM in Frontline.

When it was all tier 8, you didn't need GOLD at all, but now in a tier 8 heavy against a tier 9 heavy, you will have to shoot GOLD.

WG improved Frontline by increase GOLD rounds. 

Also tagged with frontline

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users