frontline

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

DrWho_ #41 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 23:47

Major

• Players
  • 40291 battles
  • [B-S-B] B-S-B

To me there were 2 things that interested me about FL, in the early version(s)

The large map so you could move around a bit and the fact that it was same tier only. 

Oh well, I had mostly lost interest and introducing mixed tiers killed off what little interest I still had

And if you're going to introduce more tiers, while still keeping it single tier of course, why go up instead of down. Tier 7 or 6 could have been fun and people would still be able to have fun in their Premium tanks, you know the ones purchased for money or gold in your shop

Well done WG 

coconut2011 #42 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 23:49

Major

• Players
  • 80796 battles
  • [QUEUE] QUEUE

Well, I am actually very excite for this mode.  Both tier 8 and Tier 9 have a lot of great tanks, and I have most of them in garage.

As for the introduction of tier 9 mechanics, I think that it would be best to reserve the judgement until later.  In the past FL, there were many games where teams had problems even breaking out the first zone.  Many defend side people had to tell others to retreat to prolong the game (and earn higher ranks).  For these games, tier 9 introduction would not matter.  Then there were games where the defense just got overrun quickly.  Some idiots focused on ending the game so quickly that nobody on either side got to captain.  For most players who just want to prolong the game when winning is not the real objective, having tier 9s just mean longer games overall.  If you are playing light / medium for spotting / tracking assist, there are more profits to be sought.

In the past FL, I always played 3 main tanks: Caernarvon AX for first zone, EBR and Progetto 46 for the rest.  TBH, it got quite a bit boring because other tanks were nowhere as effective as these three.  No need to gold spam and they could earn tons of credits.  IMO, these tanks are so OP that dealing with tier 9s are no issues.  This year, Kpz 07 RH is probably going to be a new top tier candidate for FL tank, due to its high DPM and high mobility.

For tier 9s, Kpz 50t, Leo PTA, Standard B have very high pen standard shells.  EBR 90 is really not a major improvement over EBR 75.  Other reward tanks like Concept 1B can be OP on paper, but given the openness of the map, it is really difficult to tell.  And remember that the HE reward makes high pen HE tanks like M41 90 are great against the side of enemy mediums and lights.

Will there be increased premium ammo spam?  Certainly.  However, with no stats being counted, why would you do so when the core of FL is to make credits and train crews?  The openness of the FL maps means that it is relatively easy to find side / rear shots.  Tanks like Defender in the past has never been a real issue anyways.  For me at least, I would keep playing tier 8 premium tanks with some fast tier 9s mixed in.

Edited by coconut2011, Jul 15 2021 - 23:52.

mrtanker58 #43 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 23:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

View Postcoconut2011, on Jul 15 2021 - 22:49, said:

As for the introduction of tier 9 mechanics

What tier 9 mechanics?

mrtanker58 #44 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 23:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

View Postcoconut2011, on Jul 15 2021 - 22:49, said:

there are more profits to be sought.

How are there more profits to be sought in games that are the same length but played in tier 9 tech-tree tanks or tier 9 reward tanks instead of tier 8 premiums?

Don't tier 8 premiums earn more credits?

Isn't the T26E5 very similar to the AX?

Edited by mrtanker58, Jul 15 2021 - 23:57.

coconut2011 #45 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 23:54

Major

• Players
  • 80796 battles
  • [QUEUE] QUEUE

View Postmrtanker58, on Jul 15 2021 - 14:52, said:

What tier 9 mechanics?

I meant to say allowing tier 9 to be played in later stage after a few zones got captured.

coconut2011 #46 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 23:57

Major

• Players
  • 80796 battles
  • [QUEUE] QUEUE

View Postmrtanker58, on Jul 15 2021 - 14:54, said:

How are there more profits to be sought in games that are the same length but played in tier 9 tech-tree tanks or tier 9 reward tanks instead of tier 8 premiums?

Most tier 9 lights / mediums can be easily penetrated on the side, and now the HE changes make them prone to HE shots.  And tanks like EBR 75 make credits by spotting.  So more HP pool and higher damage by friendlies etc actually mean higher profits.

bake3020 #47 Posted Jul 15 2021 - 23:59

Major

• Players
  • 134 battles
  • [NOLOS] NOLOS
We do not need Over Powered Tier IX vehicles in Frontlines.  Can't these people understand that?  Frontlines was created for Tier VIII as a means of allowing us to not have to face any higher tiered vehicles and have a mode that was similar to Ranked, Grand, and many other higher tiered battles.  Why is it that WG constantly takes a mode, that isn't broken and turns around and fixes on it until it's broken and useless.  Oh wait, I know, they are eking out their revenge upon the vast majority of players that refuse to participate in that crappy mode called Steel Cheater.  Any mode this is good and the player base loves, WG staff, step in and always, always screw it up until it's worthless and no longer a playable mode.  Way to go WG you win another: POT METAL SCREW UP AWARD.  You guys worked really hard to break another good thing about this game and show us what you really think of your player base.

jakethesnake2015 #48 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:00

Private

• Players
  • 5330 battles
  • [OML] OML

View PostAirCrewChief, on Jul 15 2021 - 16:33, said:

I'm thinking that as soon as the tier IXs are 'unlocked' in a match, everyone is going to do anything they can to get out of the tier VIII tank they're in so they can get into a tier IX.  I envision headlong rushes into enemy fire, drownings, driving off cliffs, and other "get out now" actions becoming more common. Think that just pressing "K" will self destruct your vehicle.

WG, if you're listening, I certainly get that you have a desire to see all tiers of tanks used.  I love playing all tiers.  So why not make FrontLines year round, but with a different, SINGLE tier every other month?  Players would compete in tier IV(Jan-Feb), V(Mar-Apr), VI(May-Jun), VII(Jul-Aug), VIII(Sep-Oct), and IX(Nov-Dec) FrontLines.  Leave the first three tiers alone, and leave tier X for Grand Battles.  Also...get rid of combat reserves unless you're going to add some substantial element of risk to using them, like the idea above about having to 'leave' your tank for the duration.

Just my opinion.

To have unlimited Tier IX at the second row is horrible. I'm going to buy the Tier IX wheelie like everyone else is going to have. :facepalm:

At best, only have a limited number of reward Tier IX per sector like arty. Generally, they're so broken that one per sector isn't going to be that big a deal. But unlimited?? Obviously, someone didn't talk to the Marketing department on this decision's impact will be on premium Tier VIII sales.

Truly, the sheer magnitude of this cockup of Frontline is breathtaking. Either, A) it is true that corporate offices do have a hookah room where the C level staff hits the bong before coming up with these boneheaded decisions or B) the conspiracy theorists are right that you want to destroy Frontlines since it was created outside of your normal development. 

Honestly curious on which one it is? 

:amazed:

bake3020 #49 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:04

Major

• Players
  • 134 battles
  • [NOLOS] NOLOS

View Postcloudwalking, on Jul 15 2021 - 21:14, said:

Looked great until you realize that it will become spammed with concept 1bs and knzp 50t and other incredible tier 9's and that's it.  

It was a simple request, WG...keep it single tier.  Rotate tiers if you want, but keep it single tier.  

Have you even played FrontLine?

This was the carrot I've been waiting for to keep me interested.  You guys ruined clan wars, you ruined campaigns, you ruined this and that....Frontlines was the one thing that was keeping me interested here.  I'll check the mode out and, hell...I may even enjoy it.  I have some incredibly broken tier 9's I can play so....whatever?

In all seriousness, you probably ruined the mode.

Players asked to keep it 1 tier and bring more maps....we get multi tier with arguably the strongest pound for pound tier in the game and no new map that I'm aware of.  lolol

Dude, we may disagree on a lot of things but on this, we think alike.  I agree, WG is seriously trying to kill this mode.  Makes absolutely no sense why they can't just leave thing alone.  I also agree that they could rotate different tiers in and out instead of trying to poison the mode, they way they are. 

coconut2011 #50 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:11

Major

• Players
  • 80796 battles
  • [QUEUE] QUEUE

View Postmrtanker58, on Jul 15 2021 - 14:54, said:

Don't tier 8 premiums earn more credits?

Isn't the T26E5 very similar to the AX?

Tier 8 shooting / spotting tier 9s can earn more exp / credits than shooting the same tier tank.

There are no tier 9 premium tanks.  tier 9 reward tanks do not earn extra credits.

Yes, tier 8 premium tanks earn more credits.  This is why I pretty much always play premium tanks, except the occasion when I needed to train certain tech tree tank crews that I do not have premium tanks for.

T26E5 is actually quite different from Caernarvon AX.  ( https://tanks.gg/com...rvon-ax?t=t26e5 )  Caernarvon AX has higher DPM and much better gun handling.  The mobility / weaker hull of Caernarvon AX do not matter much in the first zone.  Past the first zone, you need to switch tank to fast lights / mediums anyways.

goldfinger_555 #51 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:26

Captain

• Players
  • 28206 battles
  • [FFWC] FFWC

I'm gonna wait and see how the players react to tier 9 being allowed. I don't think as many people will use them as folks are saying now. A lot play this mode for making credits and training crews (and combat XP for tech tree tanks) which means they likely will keep using mostly tier 8s if not entirely tier 8s. You don't need premium shells to pen most tier 9s eitherI'm gonna wait before saying the world is ending.

I'll add that WG is doing this as a credit nerf. That's not nice WG! However I was worried they'd do it internally by giving less credits. If this is the only credit nerf than it may be ok.

mrtanker58 #52 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

View Postcoconut2011, on Jul 15 2021 - 22:57, said:

Most tier 9 lights / mediums can be easily penetrated on the side, and now the HE changes make them prone to HE shots.  And tanks like EBR 75 make credits by spotting.  So more HP pool and higher damage by friendlies etc actually mean higher profits.

I played around a dozen tanks in Frontline and i have turbo's on all of them. 

My favs were LT432, Progetto, Lorraine, T25E5, AX, SomuaSM, EBR, Mod 1 is REALLY good in FL in certain spots hull down and fast with turbo, 703 is really strong (I don't have Defender/252U). 5/1, Lansen, E75 TS, and the BlackDog with OP HE for objectives. 

One of my favorite tanks to play in Frontline defensively is the Somua SM with the 1500 clip with a turbo, grousers and NOS (I buy on sale for 5K each) for max speed and it's pretty fast in this configuration.  I use it defensively esp on Kraftworks in the middle sector on the right on those hills.  I just dump the clip and go back to the garage or have time to reload which is fast and dump a second clip and then die.  It's a lot of damage in a very short time.  I do the same with the Lorraine and race in, dump a clip and respawn.  I have had games where I played 7 or 8 tanks as I try to time respawns.   

I am a bit of a Frontline FANATIC.  I have 58 supreme guns, 38 general of the army, 100 iron shields and 116 master strikers.  When Frontline is out, I play it 8 hours or more a day and never, ever, play randoms.  I just love it.  If WG stays the course, I will be loading up on tier 9's as i have most tier 10's in garage and right now 28 tier 9's including 1B, Char, 50T, Phase I, 777 and 55A, but I don't like the change and I hope WG reverses it. 

Edited by mrtanker58, Jul 16 2021 - 00:42.

TankClash #53 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18555 battles
Fighting OP reward tanks.... that I don't have... woo hoo... still I only play this game during FL anyway. so apart from that it's fine.

echo9835 #54 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28477 battles
  • [TT-6] TT-6
Tier 9 in frontlines? I was holding out on uninstalling until after frontlines because I really loved the gamemode, but you just made that decision for me. Thanks WeeGee.

mrtanker58 #55 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

View Postbake3020, on Jul 15 2021 - 23:04, said:

Dude, we may disagree on a lot of things but on this, we think alike.  I agree, WG is seriously trying to kill this mode.  Makes absolutely no sense why they can't just leave thing alone.  I also agree that they could rotate different tiers in and out instead of trying to poison the mode, they way they are. 

Don't forget WG did not design Frontline, it was a CONTRACTOR.  WG did design GARBAGE STEEL HUNTER so WG might be doing this to nerf FL to make SH look better as the ques were pretty bad for SH this year. 

Edited by mrtanker58, Jul 16 2021 - 00:36.

Marbay #56 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 26776 battles
  • [G-4-W] G-4-W

Wow, been looking forward to FL all year...my favorite event.  It was great having large same tier battles.  They seemed to have playstyle variety and options to take different tanks out.

Tier 9 seems like a really bad idea.

Being forced to play each tank type WG way is actually more frustrating.  Maybe I'll push cap with my MT, or try to scout out...nope!  They could have balanced the bonus per style a little bit if anything.  They seem to just dump more rules and parameters on what could be left as a simple, straightforward fun mode...now each class is limited to bonuses...which count up during battle and apply at levels...seems hard to follow in-game...oh, now tile E is open, so tier 9 can come into battle...huh???

mrtanker58 #57 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 00:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 3665 battles

View PostMarbay, on Jul 15 2021 - 23:43, said:

.oh, now tile E is open, so tier 9 can come into battle...huh???

WG LOVES to make things COMPLICATED. 

Once the attackers capture any second level base it opens up tier 9's for both sides, but a lot of players don't read news articles and will have no idea what is going on.

Edited by mrtanker58, Jul 16 2021 - 00:45.

Marbay #58 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 01:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 26776 battles
  • [G-4-W] G-4-W

View Postcloudwalking, on Jul 15 2021 - 21:14, said:

Looked great until you realize that it will become spammed with concept 1bs and knzp 50t and other incredible tier 9's and that's it.  

It was a simple request, WG...keep it single tier.  Rotate tiers if you want, but keep it single tier.  

Have you even played FrontLine?

This was the carrot I've been waiting for to keep me interested.  You guys ruined clan wars, you ruined campaigns, you ruined this and that....Frontlines was the one thing that was keeping me interested here.  I'll check the mode out and, hell...I may even enjoy it.  I have some incredibly broken tier 9's I can play so....whatever?

In all seriousness, you probably ruined the mode.

Players asked to keep it 1 tier and bring more maps....we get multi tier with arguably the strongest pound for pound tier in the game and no new map that I'm aware of.  lolol

The whole fun is a little zapped since meta will be FL reward tanks...that are effectively behind a pay wall.  As though it wasn't good enough that straight Tier8 wallets tanks were meta; they need harder to pay for meta tanks with T9.

BeastsOfBattle #59 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 01:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21318 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT
Being single tier was one of the things about Frontlines that was so good, two tiers does not sound good to me. Tier 9 EBR... need I say more?

Edited by BeastsOfBattle, Jul 16 2021 - 01:07.

Earl_of_Grey #60 Posted Jul 16 2021 - 01:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 12246 battles

Ok, the only reason i play Frontlines is to grind credits. So you introduce the ability to use Tier 9 tanks.

So now players can use OP t9 tanks and reward tanks in the game and now me in my t8 grinding credits has to shoot gold rounds to pen, negating all the credit earning ability.

What was your reasoning for this? It was nothing anyone asked for which seems to be WG theme these days so i get that, but man, what the hell. 

Also tagged with frontline

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users