sandbox

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

Elias_K_Grodin #1 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 15:30

Community Number Cruncher

• Verified Military
  • 1394 battles

Greetings, Commanders!

With your help, we tested Crew 2.0 on the Sandbox server several months ago. At the time, we received a huge number of questions and comments. After testing ended, we carefully analyzed all your feedback and the statistics we obtained, with particular attention paid to the most controversial aspects that sparked the hottest discussions.

We now invite you to take part in a new Sandbox test and assess the revised Crew 2.0 concept! The test begins on July 20, and each of you will have an opportunity to try out the new ideas and solutions that emerged from your feedback on the first iteration. Join the test, play, and share your impressions—together, we’ll determine the future of the new crew in World of Tanks!

Find out more about the Crew 2.0 Sandbox here!

Suicidal_Enemy #2 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 15:49

Major

• Players
  • 52910 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

POPULAR

Your down vote button is missing.....

Einzelganger7 #3 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 15:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11572 battles
  • [WOLFD] WOLFD
Wow, those changes seem actually nice, especially the free sixth sense/noise detection/mentor and the zero skill compensation.

DREAD_PIRATE_R0BERTS #4 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 15:54

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37983 battles
  • [WOPR] WOPR

1. Nobody wants crew trainers.  Crew trainers will be essential to be competitive and long time players and those who spend real $$ will have a decisive advantage over new players and free-to-play players.

2. What happens to crew members who don't get converted manually?  Will their XP be converted to crew books in a later patch?  A what rate?

3. Why not make an option to manually convert crew members into universal crew books.  It would be a true reset of crew XP and give players freedom to use crew XP the way they want to.

ThePigSheFlies #5 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 15:55

Major

• Players
  • 87591 battles

the amount of crew xp required "to the maximum level" 

this notion needs to go away.  increasing maximum from 75 points to 80 is still a hard limitation that shouldn't exist.

and this is just the start.  after equipment 2.0 I have barely bothered to re-equip over 100 tanks in my garage even after assimilating all of the information from the various CC's and unicums.

WG's insistence on completely scrapping/converting in crew 2.0 instead of just tweaking skills or evolving them like they recently did with intuition is off-putting, and based on previous ham-fisted implementations I just don't trust you guys or the future direction of the game.  and with a lack of trust comes a lack of interest, and a lack of interest means less playing for me at least.  gradually to the point where I just tap-out.

I legit would feel more comfortable if they just made changes to existing crew mechanics and management such as giving all new commanders 6th sense.  revising existing crew skills and introducing new ones - even if it cost me more to reskill a single crew member in favor a new, more relevant skill.

hard capping skills, and going through learning yet another eco system for crew management isn't what I want to do at this stage of the game, while you continue to ignore so many other attributes of the game that already make it a chore many days to contemplate logging in...

edit:  the bottom line I've heard mentioned, is that wargaming wants us to "make difficult decisions" in the area of min/maxing - just like with some of the equipment options.  the problem with that is one doesn't know which garbage map one will get that will make the min/max build worse than a more generalist build - so in the end the easy decision for many will be to just opt-out.

parting thoughts.  your player base can barely comprehend basic game mechanics, let alone the limits of the min/max builds that are possible.  out of that ignorance already comes tons of hackusations in chat, forums and likely support tickets, and you want to create an environment that is even harder for some casual to understand how they got spotted, how someone out-reloaded them, etc., etc.?!

Edited by ThePigSheFlies, Jul 21 2021 - 12:54.

Spam_Goose #6 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 15:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15040 battles
  • [PHASY] PHASY
like how crews are the main issue, and not anything else.......sus

US_3rd_Army #7 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:08

Major

• Players
  • 40379 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS
No Chieftain for upcoming Clan Wars Campaign, and now a second attempt at bringing in a new crew system that no one wants. I see the main office is working overtime to REALLY piss off the player base.

Blackstone #8 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:12

Major

• Players
  • 29277 battles
  • [GFLC] GFLC
How about "NO, NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS"?

MrMysterious #9 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 93446 battles
  • [JYNX] JYNX
I gave all my constructive feedback in the first iteration of sandbox for crew 2.0 but let me summarize it here for you.  Bad idea that should be scrapped for something a lot simpler and with minimal impact to existing crews.  Lets not kill the game please.  I really like playing this game and I believe Crew 2.0 is Nail 2.0 for the old coffin.

Gen_Grant #10 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 53671 battles
  • [BURYU] BURYU

Well the comments are coming and I fail to see a supportive one, Oops do not look here WG this is yet one more of the YOU ARE BREAKING A GAME THAT IS WORKING. Well we could use more maps and some of the other stuff you keep saying you are working on but the CREW 2.0 Part Duh is just dumb, those programmers needed to get their two week pay and goodbye yet you and your leadership keep licking your lips that Mo Money is going to come in. Not here, not this Beta Tester, I do not understand how you are not reading the notes on the bathroom wall. we are not here to take the Crew 2.0 up the Tank Tube, without lube. Sorry, I am not impressed and I will load the sandbox so I can play the mode and fill in my comment review. But your Video yells "assume the position"

Sincerely Gen_Grant 

warrends #11 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:31

Major

• Players
  • 24265 battles
Thank you.

wadprime #12 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:34

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 32855 battles
  • [FKX] FKX

All in all this seems to be a much better iteration, but it's not quite there for me. I'm not going to debate the merits of the framework of 2.0, I actually think it has a lot of potential and in a vacuum I DO like it, despite what the majority of the community seems to say, but the bottom line is that given that this iteration is close to the initial iteration I think it's safe to say that crew 2.0 is going to happen and now it's more a matter of tweaking the numbers. With that in mind, here are my thoughts on a few of the more controversial points...

Let's start with the positive:

- I'm very happy with the conversion rate of existing crews. While of course there will still be some discrepancies depending on the individual crew, but between the consideration for 0 perk skills, the added baseline skills, and additional points, I'm pretty happy.

- Crew books being unusable on 80 skill crews. I think this is great, and lets them properly be used as a means of catch up.

Now for the negative:
- Some skills still don't seem useful. Concentration and adrenaline rush in particular seem quite useless to me.

- The ability for vehicle handling increases. While the bonus vehicle handling potential has been nerfed from 21% to 15%, combined with food and equipment you can still get to about 40%, which is still absolutely ridiculous. And that's just as a baseline, not even counting the situational bonuses that can take effect once conditions are met.

- Xp loss on retraining is still a thing. While this update makes it more manageable, I am ABSOLUTELY against any kind of Xp loss with this new system. I get that Wargaming want some kind of friction to encourage people to retrain with gold, yeah, Wargaming is a company, I get it, but ugh, it shouldn't be completely nonviable to retrain without it. If anything could we get a "debuff" that lasts X amount of games and then goes away? It's still a variable amount that scales up with your crew, and given that we're moving to a skill point system it just gets more and more painful.

Brynar #13 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:35

Captain

• Players
  • 22494 battles

Free 6th sense - good idea

Make all crews the same regardless of tank (even the ELC bis with current 2-crew). The current system with stacked duties on crew members is retarded. No need for Crew 2.0.

rangerfrank #14 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32082 battles
  • [-VETS] -VETS
let's add one more thing nobody asked for, yet a LOT of people actively asked us NOT TO DO.

Butknuckle #15 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:45

Major

• Players
  • 66596 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

First reaction to watching the vid is: Still looks like a change for the worse that hoses veteran players.

Will revise this opinion once I've had a chance to try it out on the test server.

UPDATE

Took some time to play around on the test server and can confirm veteran players still get hosed. We are still not adequately compensated for crew xp.

I currently have 72 tech tree tanks with crew in my garage. I was able to crew them all with 40 commanders in Crew 2.0 (could have done it with a couple less but decided to have some redundancy for reasons). You want to have fewer crews to take advantage of the limited availability of instructors.

After re-crewing my tanks I was left with 347 recruits in barracks. 109 of which have 4+ skills. Assuming an average 4 crew per tank thats enough for ~27 tank crews. At ~3 million xp to get 4 skills, I'm looking at in the neighborhood of 81 million of crew xp that is uselessly tied up in unnecessary crews and unrecoverable in Crew2.0. I didn't bother estimating whats tied up in the remaining 238 crew. Hard not to feel a bit hosed by that.

There needs to be a way to convert your now unnecessary crews into crew books. And they should be universal crew books since you can reach a point on commanders where crew books can no longer be used.

Turns out they get converted automatically to crew books. Thanks to various later posts for pointing that out.

Edited by Butknuckle, Jul 21 2021 - 10:02.

reese342 #16 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11355 battles
Can someone tell the russians that this is a pants on head stupid decision that literally nobody asked for? Not only do I lose crew members I've had for the better part of a decade, I lose my GuP and other various crews. How are you going to do unique voiceovers now? Switching to a clunky, complicated system is not needed whatsoever.

Tanksforallthefish0 #17 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 16:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8324 battles
WG, here is a bit of advice, when you have a system like the current crew system, you don't need to completely rework the thing. All you need to do is balance the skills: make every crew start with a built in lesser version of sixth sense, buff some underperforming skills, and rework the useless ones. Boom, crew system improved, and you don't need to completely rework the thing.

Cowcat137 #18 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 17:07

Major

• Players
  • 24231 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
I broke up my Sabaton crew long ago to seed 5 commanders in the Swedish line when I started it. Can't wait to see how that works out.

Nacho71AR #19 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 17:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 38756 battles
  • [CLASS] CLASS

View PostThePigSheFlies, on Jul 19 2021 - 11:55, said:

the amount of crew xp required "to the maximum level" 

this notion needs to go away.  increasing maximum from 75 points to 80 is still a hard limitation that shouldn't exist.

and this is just the start.  after equipment 2.0 I have barely bothered to re-equip over 100 tanks in my garage even after assimilating all of the information from the various CC's and unicums.

WG's insistence on completely scrapping/converting in crew 2.0 instead of just tweaking skills or evolving them like they recently did with intuition is off-putting, and based on previous ham-fisted implementations I just don't trust you guys or the future direction of the game.  and with a lack of trust comes a lack of interest, and a lack of interest means less playing for me at least.  gradually to the point where I just tap-out.

I legit would feel more comfortable if they just made changes to existing crew mechanics and management such as giving all new commanders 6th sense.  revising existing crew skills and introducing new ones - even if it cost me more to reskill a single crew member in favor a new, more relevant skill.

hard capping skills, and going through learning yet another eco system for crew management isn't what I want to do at this stage of the game, while you continue to ignore so many other attributes of the game that already make it a chore many days to contemplate logging in...

Thank you for your eloquence...

Gunny_Pac #20 Posted Jul 19 2021 - 17:22

Captain

• Players
  • 37976 battles
Lets make something way more complicated than it should be...I want to play a game. Now you want me to spend hours on a simple issue to play said game that at most is going to last 15 min in an extreme case (reality maybe 6 at most and being generous here). You people remind so much of American engineers who made the simple process of changing a starter on vehicle into a nightmare that now requires you to remove the engine and cooling system to change it. Yeah thanks but no thanks...

Also tagged with sandbox

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users