Jump to content


The GSOR 1008 Is ...


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

TheRealSerapth #1 Posted Jul 24 2021 - 22:55

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12943 battles
  • 1,167
  • [W--W] W--W
  • Member since:
    05-18-2016

... a Lorraine 40t, except better in every single way.

 

It plays identically, same obscenely long reload, same 4 shot clip, except the GSOR is:

 

- More accurate

- Massively higher pen on premium round

- Faster and slightly more maneuverable

- Higher Alpha

- Faster inner clip

- MASSIVELY better armor

- Better camo (I think)

- 3 Degrees more gun depression (this one is HUGE)

- Both make credits poorly for premiums

 

So if you like the Lorraine 40t, you will love the GSOR.  It has all the same downsides but so many more upsides.  At this point I have trouble thinking of a reason to play the Lorr again now that I have a GSOR.  It's the exact same playstyle, exact same tank, just... you know, better.

 

That said, the game is really hard to play right now, as it's absolutely infested with GSORs and probably will be all weekend.

 

Oh, and if you are pure tomato and thinking OP tank will make you win, think again.  Both the Lorr and the GSOR are fairly hard tanks to play, if you want to do more than 1 clip worth of damage.  You need to know your map very well, be able to read the ebb and flow of battle to know when to push and when to hide for your reload.  It's also a pretty horrid redline sniper, so I would highly recommend against buying it for that, the rounds just lose so much penn over distance.  I mean, it works, but you're probably playing the tank wrong.


Edited by TheRealSerapth, Jul 24 2021 - 23:04.


Casual_Boops #2 Posted Jul 24 2021 - 23:00

    Major

  • Community Contributor
  • 42544 battles
  • 3,356
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
  • Member since:
    05-14-2015
I'm gonna disagree with you there, my man. Lorraine flexes like a medium and the GSOR is substantially slower. Also the long drum reload on the GSOR limits the situations you can put yourself in. 

TheRealSerapth #3 Posted Jul 24 2021 - 23:04

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12943 battles
  • 1,167
  • [W--W] W--W
  • Member since:
    05-18-2016

View PostCasual_Boops, on Jul 24 2021 - 23:00, said:

I'm gonna disagree with you there, my man. Lorraine flexes like a medium and the GSOR is substantially slower. Also the long drum reload on the GSOR limits the situations you can put yourself in. 

 

I always found the Lorr ran like a stuck pig, especially when I compare it to the two tanks it shares a crew with (Char Futur/Bourrasque).  It's slighly more agile than the Borat and perhaps a bit more nimble moving than the GSOR, but I honestly think the GSOR gets into position just as fast or faster, and with IRM installed, it's perfectly capable in a knife fight.  I honestly feel very little difference between the GSOR and Lorr when it comes to mobility.  One is slightly faster, the other is slightly more agile.  Neither are...  Usain Bolt.

 

In terms of reload... I think with BIA crew in both tanks, both running vents, the reload difference is about 3 seconds.   I would trade 3 seconds clip reload for 0.5 innerclip acceleration every single day of the week.  Plus in a medium knife fight, the GSOR will bounce some shots... I honestly don't think Lorraine has ever bounced a single shot... ever.  In my 9 games in the GSOR I think I have already bounced more shots then in my hundreds in the Lorraine.


Edited by TheRealSerapth, Jul 24 2021 - 23:05.


moogleslam #4 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 00:10

    Major

  • Players
  • 60243 battles
  • 5,703
  • [GURUS] GURUS
  • Member since:
    12-20-2013
Lorr is one of my all time favorites, so now I really wish I owned this!

TheRealSerapth #5 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 00:11

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12943 battles
  • 1,167
  • [W--W] W--W
  • Member since:
    05-18-2016

View Postmoogleslam, on Jul 25 2021 - 00:10, said:

Lorr is one of my all time favorites, so now I really wish I owned this!


I love the Lorraine (even though it’s cursed for me), so yeah if you like it you’ll like the GSOR



ATruk #6 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 00:20

    Captain

  • Players
  • 77881 battles
  • 1,796
  • Member since:
    03-16-2013
I trained a crew to the GSOR 1008 for reasons.

Casual_Boops #7 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 00:52

    Major

  • Community Contributor
  • 42544 battles
  • 3,356
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
  • Member since:
    05-14-2015

View PostTheRealSerapth, on Jul 24 2021 - 16:04, said:

 

I always found the Lorr ran like a stuck pig, especially when I compare it to the two tanks it shares a crew with (Char Futur/Bourrasque).  It's slighly more agile than the Borat and perhaps a bit more nimble moving than the GSOR, but I honestly think the GSOR gets into position just as fast or faster, and with IRM installed, it's perfectly capable in a knife fight.  I honestly feel very little difference between the GSOR and Lorr when it comes to mobility.  One is slightly faster, the other is slightly more agile.  Neither are...  Usain Bolt.

 

In terms of reload... I think with BIA crew in both tanks, both running vents, the reload difference is about 3 seconds.   I would trade 3 seconds clip reload for 0.5 innerclip acceleration every single day of the week.  Plus in a medium knife fight, the GSOR will bounce some shots... I honestly don't think Lorraine has ever bounced a single shot... ever.  In my 9 games in the GSOR I think I have already bounced more shots then in my hundreds in the Lorraine.

 

https://tanks.gg/com...0-t?t=gsor-1008

 

If you check out the mobility section you'll see the big differences-- Losing a whopping 7 power to weight is pretty substantial, but you make a good point about the drum reload difference 10 seconds isn't THAT long, but why does it feel so much longer and more punishing in my mind? Perhaps it's because in the GSOR I so much more frequently feel trapped in a position, too slow to escape, and now I'm sitting here for what feels like an eternity of almost 40 seconds, whereas with the Lorraine I feel more like an agile ninja, where I can scoot over here, dump a few rounds, scoot over here, dump the other two, then re-clip and shift positions on the map entirely. I just find myself playing the two tanks so completely differently because of the speed, but the bouncy bits on the GSOR are legit, and you need to respect the clip for sure.



cloudwalking #8 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 01:18

    Major

  • Players
  • 198 battles
  • 2,002
  • Member since:
    08-29-2016

Both can certainly be tough to play.

 

Lor is love, Lor is life however



Gang_Starr #9 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 01:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 17341 battles
  • 3,494
  • Member since:
    04-09-2014
Lorr 40t is love. GSOR is very slow, I looked up all the reviews for it and decided it was worse than the Lorraine and not worth picking up.

TheRealSerapth #10 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 02:12

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12943 battles
  • 1,167
  • [W--W] W--W
  • Member since:
    05-18-2016

View PostGang_Starr, on Jul 25 2021 - 01:53, said:

Lorr 40t is love. GSOR is very slow, I looked up all the reviews for it and decided it was worse than the Lorraine and not worth picking up.


I watched the reviews too.  Red far more than I ever expected.

 

The naysayers on the GSOR are nuts.  It’s not the fastest tank you’ll find, but it’s generally fast enough.  Especially given all the negativity it has in some reviews.

 

In actually playing it, it ultimately gets into the same position as a Lorraine in about the exact same amount of time.  Like I said, they feel very similar.



Gang_Starr #11 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 02:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 17341 battles
  • 3,494
  • Member since:
    04-09-2014

View PostTheRealSerapth, on Jul 24 2021 - 20:12, said:


 it ultimately gets into the same position as a Lorraine in about the exact same amount of time.  Like I said, they feel very similar.

 

Lorr has a 50% better power to weight ratio and around 20% better traverse on all terrains which is huge. Lorr has a 25% faster clip reload (even though the 2s inter-clip reload on gsor is sweet) and the reticle bloom on the gsor is 50% worse after moving and when turning your tracks.  I'm glad you like the GSOR, but numbers don't lie. The GSOR will never reach its top speed limit unless rolling down a hill while the Lorr has no acceleration issues. Both tanks have their roles, but I don't see them as being comparable. I have an obsession with flexible autoloaders in this game and I almost instantly knew the GSOR would not fit that playstyle for me.



TheRealSerapth #12 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 04:04

    Captain

  • Players
  • 12943 battles
  • 1,167
  • [W--W] W--W
  • Member since:
    05-18-2016

View PostGang_Starr, on Jul 25 2021 - 02:39, said:

 

Lorr has a 50% better power to weight ratio and around 20% better traverse on all terrains which is huge. Lorr has a 25% faster clip reload (even though the 2s inter-clip reload on gsor is sweet) and the reticle bloom on the gsor is 50% worse after moving and when turning your tracks.  I'm glad you like the GSOR, but numbers don't lie. The GSOR will never reach its top speed limit unless rolling down a hill while the Lorr has no acceleration issues. Both tanks have their roles, but I don't see them as being comparable. I have an obsession with flexible autoloaders in this game and I almost instantly knew the GSOR would not fit that playstyle for me.


Numbers don’t lie?

 

In World of Tanks they lie all the time.



Gang_Starr #13 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 04:43

    Major

  • Players
  • 17341 battles
  • 3,494
  • Member since:
    04-09-2014

View PostTheRealSerapth, on Jul 24 2021 - 22:04, said:


Numbers don’t lie?

 

In World of Tanks they lie all the time.


In game they do, because not all stats are shown. 3rd party sites like tanks.gg provide more info which show the real picture.

 

The GSOR is a fine tank, but to say it's better than the Lorr 40t in every way is a huge stretch (misinformation really) when the stat comparison looks like this:

https://tanks.gg/tan...s=lorr-40-t&cl=

 



Draschel #14 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 11:48

    Captain

  • Players
  • 2074 battles
  • 1,479
  • Member since:
    04-01-2020

They are comparable, sure. But there are differences, and GSOR doesn't really do everything lorraine can

 

GSOR::

Better armor, no contest.                  - bad DPM, even worse than Lorr

Better stationary camo                     - poor ammo capacity

Excellent gun depression                 - horrendous APCR drop off

Good close range APCR pen           - average mobility 

Nice alpha and burst                        

 

Lorraine::

Better view range                              - Huge size, HE screws you over                          

Better gun handling                           - annoying aim-time and after-shot dispersion

Better traverse and HP for brawling  - annoying cupola, GSOR has none

Better mobility and reverse 

Better ranged performance

 

 



Draschel #15 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 11:55

    Captain

  • Players
  • 2074 battles
  • 1,479
  • Member since:
    04-01-2020

I mean, 1,685 is low end DPM for tier 7 mediums, nevermind tier 8. And GSOR has 150 DPM less than that....Anemic.

 

A bit about this though, they really need to balance tier 8 auto loaders out. It is ridiculous. EBR75, Bourrat, Progetto, Somua, IS3A, 703, Emil all have sensible DPM

......and Lorraine, Elc, GSOR, Skoda T27, T77 have horrendous atrocious DPM in comparison, not even close.  

 



Badkarma #16 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 12:17

    Captain

  • Players
  • 32290 battles
  • 1,864
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

View PostTheRealSerapth, on Jul 24 2021 - 23:04, said:

 

 I honestly don't think Lorraine has ever bounced a single shot... ever.  In my 9 games in the GSOR I think I have already bounced more shots then in my hundreds in the Lorraine.

Rubbish. My armor use-efficiency in y Lorr  is .04...that's good right?



moogleslam #17 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 13:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 60243 battles
  • 5,703
  • [GURUS] GURUS
  • Member since:
    12-20-2013

View PostDraschel, on Jul 25 2021 - 06:55, said:

I mean, 1,685 is low end DPM for tier 7 mediums, nevermind tier 8. And GSOR has 150 DPM less than that....Anemic.

 

A bit about this though, they really need to balance tier 8 auto loaders out. It is ridiculous. EBR75, Bourrat, Progetto, Somua, IS3A, 703, Emil all have sensible DPM

......and Lorraine, Elc, GSOR, Skoda T27, T77 have horrendous atrocious DPM in comparison, not even close.  

 

 

DPM isn't super critical in an autoloader; it's more about finding the best and earliest opportunities to dump your clip.  In Tier 8 Mediums that have at least 30 games played, of which I have 28, my Lorr has my 5th highest DPM, and even then, it's only 34 DPM away from my highest.



ShadowDancer27 #18 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 15:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 43985 battles
  • 5,456
  • Member since:
    07-26-2013
It is a griefer tank.  The long reload and DPM hit for an autoloader put a ceiling on its carrying capacity...but that burst will ruin at least one tanks match.

Jaguarz #19 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 16:31

    Captain

  • Players
  • 11730 battles
  • 1,624
  • [CRDWN] CRDWN
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012

Lorraine is a nimble barn, it can get in, dump the clip and get out, the GSOR dumps a clip and then hopes they dont get spotted/pushed while on clip. They couldn't be more dissimilar if they tried.

 

 

You also dont play the Lorraine very well and have only 9 games in the GSOR, the flexibility hit is a massive drawback for game changing play. Im glad you found something you are enjoying.

 


Edited by Jaguarz, Jul 25 2021 - 16:39.


13Jake55 #20 Posted Jul 25 2021 - 17:50

    Major

  • Players
  • 27297 battles
  • 2,661
  • Member since:
    02-02-2017
Have not played mine in months. Got it in loot box. From what I remember the long reload is not a big problem since your going to a couple of layers behind while reloading. The accuracy is what affected me on the tank. First shot always seemed to go wild and hardly ever landed the whole clip. If you did awesome damage.




4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users