Jump to content


The Chieftain's Random Musings Thread


  • Please log in to reply
6305 replies to this topic

stalkervision #6301 Posted Yesterday, 03:03 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 26997 battles
  • 3,379
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

What I want to know myself is what personal nick name did the tankers give the m-103 ?



stalkervision #6302 Posted Yesterday, 03:19 AM

    Major

  • Players
  • 26997 battles
  • 3,379
  • Member since:
    11-12-2013

I found this interesting nickname on the Grant tank from another military forum..

 

"Zaloga also says the M3 Lee/Grant was nicknamed the "grave for 7 brothers". I have one source that says it could have 6 or 7 crew members, so maybe that's the explaination.  "

 

 

 I really don't know how accurate this is.

 

 Wiki page... :)

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:M3_Lee

 


Edited by stalkervision, Yesterday, 03:35 AM.


GumboRex #6303 Posted Yesterday, 03:41 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 15435 battles
  • 165
  • [-RST-] -RST-
  • Member since:
    07-05-2012

View Poststalkervision, on Sep 03 2015 - 20:19, said:

I found this interesting nickname on the Grant tank from another military forum..

 

"Zaloga also says the M3 Lee/Grant was nicknamed the "grave for 7 brothers". I have one source that says it could have 6 or 7 crew members, so maybe that's the explaination.  "

 

 

 I really don't know how accurate this is.

 

 Wiki page... :)

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:M3_Lee

 

 

The only time I have ever seen the M3 Medium called 'a grave for six brothers' was in reference to those lend-leased to the USSR for use by Russian troops, who generally disliked the vehicle.

_Freddy_ #6304 Posted Yesterday, 09:36 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 412 battles
  • 782
  • Member since:
    12-12-2011

View Poststalkervision, on Sep 04 2015 - 02:19, said:

I found this interesting nickname on the Grant tank from another military forum..

 

"Zaloga also says the M3 Lee/Grant was nicknamed the "grave for 7 brothers". I have one source that says it could have 6 or 7 crew members, so maybe that's the explaination.  "

 

 

 I really don't know how accurate this is.

 

 Wiki page... :)

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:M3_Lee

 

 

View PostGumboRex, on Sep 04 2015 - 02:41, said:

 

The only time I have ever seen the M3 Medium called 'a grave for six brothers' was in reference to those lend-leased to the USSR for use by Russian troops, who generally disliked the vehicle.

 

This is often stated, but many tanks the Soviets used seem to have been called a coffin for 'insert number of crew' brothers. More a comment on the losses than inherent flaws in the vehicles. 

zloykrolik #6305 Posted Today, 03:35 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 21693 battles
  • 299
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
  • Member since:
    05-05-2012

View Poststalkervision, on Sep 03 2015 - 18:03, said:

What I want to know myself is what personal nick name did the tankers give the m-103 ?

 

Probably no nickname.  Kenneth Estes not only wrote a book about the M103, he also served on one as a platoon leader in the USMC. He talked about it in the Operation Think Tank videos. He doesn't say that the M103 had any nickname, official or informal.

 

Not all US tanks got nicknames, or if they had nicknames were they used.

 

I served on M60A1 and M60A3, and we didn't call them Patton, just A1 or A3, or M60A1 or M60A3.

 

The TM 9-2350-215-10 for the Tank, Combat, Full-Tracked: 105mm Gun, M60A1 doesn't mention a name or nickname on the cover, neither does the TM for the M60A3.


Edited by zloykrolik, Today, 03:47 AM.


The_Chieftain #6306 Posted Today, 06:11 AM

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 7186 battles
  • 8,062
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011
Actually, he affirmed that it did not have a name




12 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Strv74, caramel