Team Speak

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

snailcrusher #1 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 20:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13791 battles

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in platooning and for that I understand that I need Teamspeak.

I am not computer savvy.

I have a choice of using my own computer as a server or a "Authorized Hosting Partner".

What are the pros & cons of each?

Also I have Windows.  Then I have the choice of 32 Bit or 64 Bit.  What are the pros and cons of each?

Is there anything else I should know?

Once again I not computer savvy so please feel to talk down to me in the most plain and simple terms.

Thank You 

banziduck #2 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 20:19

Major

• Players
  • 26717 battles
  • [1SOB] 1SOB

Really I would go with Discord much easier to setup and its free besides most players use it.

Cheers

GWyatt #3 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 20:54

Captain

• Players
  • 6000 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

You don't have to have team speak to platoon, you can use platoon chat for messages. That being said, I have to agree that discord is more the causal players setup. Often CCs and the like have channels on their discords that you can use if the person you are platooning with is also a member of that discord.

For example the person that replied just before me is a member of a CC's discord that I am also a member of. I'm looking at the Discord right now and there is a Platoon 1, Platoon 2, channels that are current open for use. If Banzi and I wanted to platoon we could use either channel. The CC is streaming, with Pilgrim, and Halfast all in the Streamer Room channel as we watch the stream.

HeisenbergWOTS #4 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 21:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16 battles

Discord is on it's way out. Since you can't use it without giving them your cell phone number so they can sell it to telemarketers, a lot of people have stopped using it. TeamSpeak is pretty easy to use but it's pay only now. There is no free version of it anymore.

Frankly, I've never found it necessary to verbally communicate with platoonmates. All it usually ever amounts to is listening to non stop swearing about how everybody else is an idiot.

Just stick with type chat. It works.

ratpak #5 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 21:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 34615 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

if you just want to platoon you can always join and use WOT discord  (you will need to download discord)   https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/community/wotna-discord-042919/

you don't have to give your phone number get a discord acct, just an email  

Spam_Goose #6 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 21:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15048 battles
  • [PHASY] PHASY

View Postratpak, on Sep 03 2021 - 13:50, said:

if you just want to platoon you can always join and use WOT discord  (you will need to download discord)   https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/community/wotna-discord-042919/

let him keep his superstitions lol

snailcrusher #7 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 22:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13791 battles

I tired using Platoon Chat and it was a disaster.

I am so used to using the Enter Key for Battle Chat, and when I had to switch over to the Tab Key for Platoon Chat,  I kept getting the keys mixed up.

I play fast tanks and when I am in the mix of it, it is impossible to type and play at the same time.

Type chat does not work for me.

I would much prefer voice communication.

I am not fond of paying money, so please tell me more about discord.  I have never used it and don't know anything about it.

Is a cell phone required?  i do not have a cell phone.

ratpak #8 Posted Sep 03 2021 - 22:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 34615 battles
  • [4HIM] 4HIM

View Postratpak, on Sep 03 2021 - 14:50, said:

View Postsnailcrusher, on Sep 03 2021 - 15:06, said:

I tired using Platoon Chat and it was a disaster.

I am so used to using the Enter Key for Battle Chat, and when I had to switch over to the Tab Key for Platoon Chat,  I kept getting the keys mixed up.

I play fast tanks and when I am in the mix of it, it is impossible to type and play at the same time.

Type chat does not work for me.

I would much prefer voice communication.

I am not fond of paying money, so please tell me more about discord.  I have never used it and don't know anything about it.

Is a cell phone required?  i do not have a cell phone.

read my post (you must have missed it)

snailcrusher #9 Posted Sep 04 2021 - 01:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13791 battles

I just tried to sign up with Discord thru the WOT site.

They need a cell phone number.  They specifically said that a landline is not acceptable.

I am getting conflicting information here which is making me even more confused.

Please help

Spam_Goose #10 Posted Sep 04 2021 - 01:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15048 battles
  • [PHASY] PHASY

View Postsnailcrusher, on Sep 03 2021 - 17:03, said:

They need a cell phone number.  They specifically said that a landline is not acceptable.

I am getting conflicting information here which is making me even more confused.

Please help

sign up through discords page, not WOT. phone number is only needed for 2 factor auth, which shouldnt be required

dunniteowl #11 Posted Sep 04 2021 - 16:16

Major

• Players
  • 39065 battles

View PostHeisenbergWOTS, on Sep 03 2021 - 14:02, said:

Discord is on it's way out. Since you can't use it without giving them your cell phone number so they can sell it to telemarketers, a lot of people have stopped using it. TeamSpeak is pretty easy to use but it's pay only now. There is no free version of it anymore.

Frankly, I've never found it necessary to verbally communicate with platoonmates. All it usually ever amounts to is listening to non stop swearing about how everybody else is an idiot.

Just stick with type chat. It works.

Is that so?  I have never had to give out my phone # for using Discord.  I haven't used it in a while, but the last time I was on it, that was not a requirement.

OP, if you can, you should be running the 64 Bit version of your Operating System (OS).  As Windows is pretty much the 'de rigueur' operating system, having it is a good thing.

As you are NOT computer savvy, I would NOT use anything that requires you to know a lot about what you're doing, so hosting a Team Speak Channel is NOT a good idea.  See all those Negatives up there?  Don't be a host if you are not computer savvy.  Ride on someone else's coat-tails for that sort of thing.

Also, unless you are competitive platooning or platooning with someone who is actually Teaching you, you shouldn't have to have any form of voice communications (comms) to platoon with someone.  I do not regularly platoon, however I often accept In Match Invites and platoon that way (no real benefit to me, really, but if someone wants to platoon in a match and they choose me AND I notice, I'll accept) without having to even interact with each other.

In a more competitive environment, say Clan Wars, Skirmishes and Advances, then it's probably going to be something required to be able to 'keep up' with whoever's 'calling' during the battle.  Calling is the same thing as Acting Team Captain, in the sense that they are the ones 'calling' the plays, moves and actions of your team.

Hope you find that helpful at all and do check up on Discord and see if what HeisenbergWOTS tells you is actually correct.  I have not had to give out my phone # for ANY voice comms program, free or otherwise.  Sounds dodgy.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

zhimbo2018 #12 Posted Sep 04 2021 - 19:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17880 battles
  • [CLAS2] CLAS2

If you use discord via your web browser it will ask for an email or phone number to login.  To register a new account via your web browser it will ask for an email.  I used a gmail.com account I set up just for WoT.   As mentioned above a phone number is used for 2 factor authentication and is not required.  If you do add a phone number there's an option to remove it in the discord client's settings (if you've installed the separate client, not sure if this option is in the browser based version).

Personally, I'd just download the discord client for your particular operating system and install it - https://discord.com/download

You will need to enter an email to register a new account.  Whoever is asking you to join their discord channel for voice comms will give you the address to use with your client (under Add a Server, the plus "+" symbol at lower left) to connect with them.

I use both TeamSpeak (TS) and Discord for voice comms when I've joined with a clan (as a legionnaire) for Advances and Stronghold detachments.  They're both adequate for the task.  From my experience I find TS to be more robust ... I can connect to different TS servers simultaneous and have a different nickname in each.  I have not figured out a way to do that with Discord (yet).

I hope this helps.

Z

p.s. Talking sure beats typing for communicating, in my book.

Edited by zhimbo2018, Sep 04 2021 - 20:03.

snailcrusher #13 Posted Sep 04 2021 - 21:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13791 battles

This is getting more and more interesting.

If I have Discord and someone else has Teamspeak, does that mean that we will not be able to communicate with each other verbally in a platoon?

If I have Discord and someone else has Discord, but on a different server, does mean we will not be able to verbally communicate with each other in a platoon?

Smoking_Glock #14 Posted Oct 31 2021 - 08:20

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postsnailcrusher, on Sep 04 2021 - 21:41, said:

This is getting more and more interesting.

If I have Discord and someone else has Teamspeak, does that mean that we will not be able to communicate with each other verbally in a platoon?

If I have Discord and someone else has Discord, but on a different server, does mean we will not be able to verbally communicate with each other in a platoon?

These are two different apps. Discord is more like a chatty full sized app thingy to participate in gaming groups and forum-like things with video call support. Teamspeak is a small windows based app supporting your chats with your team members, made primarily for gaming. 32/64bit is just a CPU Memory Addressing method and has nothing to do with the performance of these two applications. You just pick one according your CPU architecture. And they don't talk to each other. Your team members have to use the same app. Here you can download the discord for windows OS (both 32/64bit versions included) https://discord.com/download
Its really easy to use. You just need a headset with a microphone or headphones with a dedicated microphone.

FoggyLogic #15 Posted Oct 31 2021 - 16:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8110 battles
  • [RDDT6] RDDT6

View Postsnailcrusher, on Sep 04 2021 - 01:03, said:

Please help

Join a social clan that has access to a TS server. The TS client for your computer is free. If you're running Windows 10 it's 64 bit. You'll need the address of the TS server to connect to it.

Active social clans are good because you'll have a pool of players you can platoon with, get clan boosters, etc. The real challenge is finding a clan that you are comfortable in, but that's just trial and error.

Smoking_Glock #16 Posted Nov 01 2021 - 11:48

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View Postsnailcrusher, on Sep 03 2021 - 16:03, said:

Please help

You just need a cell to confirm your account with discord, they never gonna use your number for anything than that. Do you want to say you have no cell phone? Maybe you shouldn't waste your own and ppl time here then..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users