Jump to content


Educate this noob: Why is with some queued platoons?

platoons platoon queue

  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

BianHong #1 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 21:35

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 5490 battles
  • 386
  • Member since:
    01-07-2017

Queued platoons that plays separately during a match. As this noob understand queued platoons, they work together as a team to win the match and move as "one body" during matches to win the match.

 

What is the point of queuing as a 3 tank platoon if those 3 players will be playing separately like a solo queue player?



Tears_ #2 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 21:48

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 30528 battles
  • 426
  • [TEACH] TEACH
  • Member since:
    10-05-2011
+15% credits and experience

DVK9 #3 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 21:51

    Captain

  • Players
  • 27746 battles
  • 1,688
  • [-TX-] -TX-
  • Member since:
    05-15-2013

They are working together.

They usually have headsets and are talking with each other.

So they could have just said I am going solo this time are they supposed to play as 1?

I dont know this rule.

I have like over 3,000 battles in a platoon.



Kramah313 #4 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 21:54

    Captain

  • Players
  • 10811 battles
  • 1,455
  • Member since:
    01-26-2018
Sometimes the chosen tanks don’t work as well in the same locations, or one player gets focused on an individual battle and gets separated from the others. They might be coordinating on voice comms more than you think.  

ATruk #5 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 21:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 76166 battles
  • 1,494
  • Member since:
    03-16-2013

View PostBianHong, on Sep 05 2021 - 13:35, said:

Queued platoons that plays separately during a match. As this noob understand queued platoons, they work together as a team to win the match and move as "one body" during matches to win the match.

 

What is the point of queuing as a 3 tank platoon if those 3 players will be playing separately like a solo queue player?

Well, sometimes triangulation gets the job done. Flanking, out-flanking, stuff like that. "One body", but a loose one. Like a pack of coyotes.



meaussie #6 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 22:04

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 164390 battles
  • 30
  • [RSRS] RSRS
  • Member since:
    11-08-2012
actually you only get 10% bonus to credits another wg cheat

churchill50 #7 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 22:20

    Major

  • Players
  • 23199 battles
  • 2,974
  • [5HTTR] 5HTTR
  • Member since:
    05-17-2014

When I platoon, it's to play with friends. That means that we each just pick the tank we feel like playing. If those tanks don't work well together, or we are placed on a map where they aren't going to work well in the same place, then that means we play in different places on the map.

We're still working together to some extent. We'll tell each other how the fight is going on our flank, anything important we feel like the other should know (like a tank that disappeared from our flank and is probably rotating to the flank a platoonmate is on), and in the case of a carry where only 1 or 2 of us are still alive, we'll feed them information about hitpoints of remaining tanks and talk through options.

So we still work together, but we may or may not be on the same flank.


Edited by churchill50, Sep 05 2021 - 22:20.


Jaguarz #8 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 22:35

    Captain

  • Players
  • 10915 battles
  • 1,490
  • [CRDWN] CRDWN
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012
because you can coordinate an attack/defence on 3 different fronts? Not everything is a potato blitzkrieg......

BianHong #9 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 23:42

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 5490 battles
  • 386
  • Member since:
    01-07-2017

View PostTears_, on Sep 05 2021 - 12:48, said:

+15% credits and experience

 

View Postmeaussie, on Sep 05 2021 - 13:04, said:

actually you only get 10% bonus to credits another wg cheat

 

That's understandable if the primary goal is only that and not winning.

 

Queued platoon has higher percentage bonus than random (during the march created platoon)?



BianHong #10 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 23:50

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 5490 battles
  • 386
  • Member since:
    01-07-2017

View PostDVK9, on Sep 05 2021 - 12:51, said:

They are working together.

They usually have headsets and are talking with each other.

So they could have just said I am going solo this time are they supposed to play as 1?

I dont know this rule.

I have like over 3,000 battles in a platoon.

 

View PostKramah313, on Sep 05 2021 - 12:54, said:

Sometimes the chosen tanks don’t work as well in the same locations, or one player gets focused on an individual battle and gets separated from the others. They might be coordinating on voice comms more than you think.  

 

View Postchurchill50, on Sep 05 2021 - 13:20, said:

When I platoon, it's to play with friends. That means that we each just pick the tank we feel like playing. If those tanks don't work well together, or we are placed on a map where they aren't going to work well in the same place, then that means we play in different places on the map.

We're still working together to some extent. We'll tell each other how the fight is going on our flank, anything important we feel like the other should know (like a tank that disappeared from our flank and is probably rotating to the flank a platoonmate is on), and in the case of a carry where only 1 or 2 of us are still alive, we'll feed them information about hitpoints of remaining tanks and talk through options.

So we still work together, but we may or may not be on the same flank.

 

View PostJaguarz, on Sep 05 2021 - 13:35, said:

because you can coordinate an attack/defence on 3 different fronts? Not everything is a potato blitzkrieg......

 

For a 5 tank platoon, it would make sense to split your resources. Your platoon will still have a higher chances of making the match into a victory. That is 5 vs 25.

 

But for a 3 tank platoon, the odds are lower so splitting the resources would just make the probability of winning even lower evwn with voice communications between platoon mates. Depending on how the plation is split, that would still mean 2 vs 28, 1 vs 29.



Desert_Fox_1969 #11 Posted Sep 05 2021 - 23:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 48000 battles
  • 2,269
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS
  • Member since:
    12-22-2013

OP you will figure it out once you get more experience that some tanks just do not work on certain locations on a map. 

They may also to split up for flanking. Look at the tanks of the platoon and you will see. 



Insanefriend #12 Posted Sep 06 2021 - 00:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 57537 battles
  • 3,327
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012
Always sticking together can work, but splitting up can work as well.  For me I tend to trust my platoons mates to be able to hold a spot that you can't push at.  So having two players bogged down in the same spot that they can't push doesn't make sense.  So one can stay and hold the other can work to flank.  Another example is splitting up where one person can go back to reset the other tries to cap.  

Kramah313 #13 Posted Sep 06 2021 - 02:18

    Captain

  • Players
  • 10811 battles
  • 1,455
  • Member since:
    01-26-2018

View PostBianHong, on Sep 05 2021 - 16:50, said:

 

 

 

 

For a 5 tank platoon, it would make sense to split your resources. Your platoon will still have a higher chances of making the match into a victory. That is 5 vs 25.

 

But for a 3 tank platoon, the odds are lower so splitting the resources would just make the probability of winning even lower evwn with voice communications between platoon mates. Depending on how the plation is split, that would still mean 2 vs 28, 1 vs 29.


This is kind of true, but another thing to think of is where is your tank most useful? If you have something like a T29 or an emil II paired with a IS and a object 257, and you have a hill and a city on the map, you have a choice to make. You can stick together and have the hull down tank fight in the city and poke during reloads, or you can go to the hill and have the tank lacking gun depression wait for the enemy to crest the hill. But sometimes the players might decide the other tank would be better used in its strong position instead of backing up the platoon mate in a weak position. 
 

Numbers help, but at the cost of putting a tank out of its element? That’s a decision for the players to make, and it’s part of playing the game. 



heavymetal1967 #14 Posted Sep 06 2021 - 02:19

    Major

  • Players
  • 83664 battles
  • 29,924
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
  • Member since:
    05-30-2012

View Postmeaussie, on Sep 05 2021 - 17:04, said:

actually you only get 10% bonus to credits another wg cheat

 

This folks, the extra 5% is referring to the premium account bonus (50% - half of 10 is 5 = 15) which premium account holders receive whether you're tooned or not.

 

 

 



uberdice #15 Posted Sep 06 2021 - 05:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 29994 battles
  • 11,229
  • Member since:
    01-14-2012

View PostBianHong, on Sep 06 2021 - 08:50, said:

For a 5 tank platoon, it would make sense to split your resources. Your platoon will still have a higher chances of making the match into a victory. That is 5 vs 25.

 

But for a 3 tank platoon, the odds are lower so splitting the resources would just make the probability of winning even lower evwn with voice communications between platoon mates. Depending on how the plation is split, that would still mean 2 vs 28, 1 vs 29.

 

This is the wrong mindset.

 

If it's a standard three-lane map, then you can usually expect the first engagements to be 3x 5v5 fights. If can guarantee a good player to each of those fights, you might effectively be fighting 3x 6v5, which is pretty good odds for your team. Is that better than stacking all your good players in one area? Depends on the map.

 

And if you're in a platoon of 3 bad players, it's arguably better for you all to spread out so you don't make your teammates believe an area has 3 tanks when in terms of skill value there's basically only one tank there.



Belicia #16 Posted Sep 06 2021 - 09:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 10345 battles
  • 2,303
  • Member since:
    11-07-2013

In my experience, at least 75% of the platoons on my team are bad (or worse) at WoT.

 

Some platoons are very good (just watch the seal-clubbing platoons of streamers like Skillz4u, QuickyBaby, etc), but these are the exception.

 

I've also seen a few platoons whose sole purpose seems to be to help one of their platoon members to complete a mission. i once watched a 3-tajk platoon of Mauses commit suicide against their friend on the enemy team. that was NOT fun to see.



churchill50 #17 Posted Sep 06 2021 - 20:30

    Major

  • Players
  • 23199 battles
  • 2,974
  • [5HTTR] 5HTTR
  • Member since:
    05-17-2014

View PostBianHong, on Sep 05 2021 - 15:50, said:

 

 

 

 

For a 5 tank platoon, it would make sense to split your resources. Your platoon will still have a higher chances of making the match into a victory. That is 5 vs 25.

 

But for a 3 tank platoon, the odds are lower so splitting the resources would just make the probability of winning even lower evwn with voice communications between platoon mates. Depending on how the plation is split, that would still mean 2 vs 28, 1 vs 29.

 

Will the chances of winning be lower if we split up rather than if we stayed together (and picked compatible tanks)? Sure, I'd say that's reasonable to assume.

But who actually cares? As I said, the goal of platooning, for me, is to play with friends. That's it. Winning is at best a tertiary consideration.

Even when we're just randomly picking tanks and going wherever works best for our tanks on the map, we're still winning upwards of 70% of our battles without even trying. Why do I care to win more than that?

I could win more than that. For instance, the evening we pulled a tryhard triple 703 II platoon and won ~82% of our battles. But why would I care to do that 90% of the time?



Roggg2 #18 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 18:45

    Major

  • Players
  • 25930 battles
  • 2,593
  • [RVN-G] RVN-G
  • Member since:
    05-27-2015
I play with my boy sometimes.  Sometimes we coordinate.  Sometimes we each do our own thing.  Sometimes I'm grinding something and he's rotating through daily wins with no concern for how they play together.  Sometimes we're both stubborn about a favourite way to play a map.  Sometimes we each feel we can contribute more in different places.  Is that enough?





Also tagged with platoons, platoon, queue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users