11 years playing random battles.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

SteelRonin #1 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 17:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26326 battles

WG, now you have the resources, the engine, the tanks, everything to develop new gamemodes, or do you still believe that random battles are la creme de la creme in terms of gameplay?. 

After all these years, how is that possible that a company have developed just a few gamemodes, and limited in time?. I take Frontline as example, that it was made by third-parties, and even when some players don't like it because bla bla bla, it is a huge success in general terms.

I still have hope, that if you have plans for more years of World of Tanks, you can bring more gamemodes, permanent ones, big maps, with a real warfare enviroment, not a picture of a plane moving at 50 km/hr in the sky. 

The briefing for the new battle pass, with actors, showing 3 uniques tanks like heroes ready for an adventure, was super cool, that looked like a new campaign or game mode, but sadly it was just a brief. These resources are nice to promote new game modes, and even more.

What are you waiting?, What is the north of the game?, more 400 mm turret armor tanks with -50 gun depresion? for what?, to be powercreeped by a 500 mm turrent armor tank with -60 gun depresion?

CAPTMUDDXX #2 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 17:43

Captain

• Players
  • 21412 battles
  • [DAMN] DAMN
Patience Grasshopper!

oldewolfe #3 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 17:50

Major

• Players
  • 31583 battles
  • [1STBN] 1STBN
No one here has Brains Enough to USE New Modes...      What is WG supposed to do, Make Modes Specifically for Campers...????      Yippy....     

Projectile_Misfired #4 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 39469 battles

I'm waiting for WG to finally get around to opening up some of their "recurring" game modes (FL and Ranked are the only ones that come to mind at the moment) to other tiers (and NO, what they did with Tier 9 in FL is NOT what I'm talking about).

WG could easily run FL and Ranked battles for other tiers. The only thing they would need to do is change the code to restrict it to the "new" tier...and maybe adjust the Credit and XP earnings.

Then, they could run them every month...with each month being a different tier. And, they could be run back-to-back...say with FL the first 2 weeks of the month and Ranked the next 2 weeks.

Angry_Johnny_Killbillys #5 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 19:13

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 23 battles
I think many people are bored with random. Bored with the maps. I agree with OP and Projectile there is so much more that could be done to insert some fun back into the game.

TheJeep1 #6 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 19:17

Major

• Players
  • 65803 battles

View PostSteelRonin, on Sep 14 2021 - 08:29, said:

WG, now you have the resources, the engine, the tanks, everything to develop new gamemodes, or do you still believe that random battles are la creme de la creme in terms of gameplay?. 

After all these years, how is that possible that a company have developed just a few gamemodes, and limited in time?. I take Frontline as example, that it was made by third-parties, and even when some players don't like it because bla bla bla, it is a huge success in general terms.

I still have hope, that if you have plans for more years of World of Tanks, you can bring more gamemodes, permanent ones, big maps, with a real warfare enviroment, not a picture of a plane moving at 50 km/hr in the sky. 

The briefing for the new battle pass, with actors, showing 3 uniques tanks like heroes ready for an adventure, was super cool, that looked like a new campaign or game mode, but sadly it was just a brief. These resources are nice to promote new game modes, and even more.

What are you waiting?, What is the north of the game?, more 400 mm turret armor tanks with -50 gun depresion? for what?, to be powercreeped by a 500 mm turrent armor tank with -60 gun depresion?

They might be already working on stuff as you say.  Over the last 2-3 years WG has emphasized a huge separation between tier's 2-5 and 6-10.  You can't say it was to protect the newbies because they flooded higher tiers with them now (which I find hysterical).  But there hasn't been any low tier events in a long time either.  I doubt it's neglect, could be, but why neglect 40% of the game?  I personally would like to see a "WW2 only mode" made with lower tier stuff.

Edited by TheJeep1, Sep 14 2021 - 19:18.

Seneca #7 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 19:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 25452 battles

Using existing maps and all tanks. 

1. Three team mode. Red, Green, Yellow. Chaos right. Maybe only 10-12 tanks per side. Three bases. Capture a base and that team goes POOF.

2. A limited ammo game with AI indestructible moving vehicles with following reloading circle so people can't camp. and a more scarce moving health replenishing vehicle. You go into the game with only 20-25% of your loadout.

3. The always popular Capture the Flag. Tons of modes. I think they did this years ago but they created all new maps limited what tanks could be used and allowed you to respawn with a new tank.   Hidden flag to start the game. Flag or vehicle with flag only visible on the map when spotted by your team. You're dead you're out.

Edited by Seneca, Sep 14 2021 - 20:05.

The_Happiest_Husky #8 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 19:56

Captain

• Players
  • 9969 battles
  • [GPARD] GPARD

View PostSeneca, on Sep 14 2021 - 10:53, said:

Using existing maps and all tanks. 

1. Three team mode. Red, Green, Yellow. Chaos right. Maybe only 10-12 tanks per side. Three bases. Capture a base and that team goes POOF.

2. A limited ammo game with AI indestructible moving vehicles with following reloading circle so people can't camp. and a more scarce a moving health replenishing vehicle. You go into the game with only 20-25% of your loadout.

3. The always popular Capture the Flag. Tons of modes. I think they did this years ago but they created all new maps limited what tanks could be used and allowed you to respawn with a new tank.   Hidden flag to start the game. Flag or vehicle with flag only visible on the map when spotted by your team. You're dead you're out.

OwO plsssss

Deputy276 #9 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 19:58

Major

• Players
  • 23285 battles
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
I remember some of the new "game modes" WG introduced during the holiday seasons. No thanks. They were so goofy and childish, I was embarrassed to admit I play the game. I'll stick with Randoms, thank you very much. Only thing I might enjoy, and they will NEVER do it, is some gore when a tank gets destroyed or when crews get injured. Unfortunately, too many urchins playing the game for that to ever happen. :)

MMI_SPI #10 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 19:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28215 battles

They made 100s of others game modes: Halloween, Easter, Chaffee race, Football T62a, Karl, 8-bit mode, Sturmpanzer, etc.

All shortely lived, just for the sake of changing and with numerous bugs included. Fun, refreshing, but never a long-term solution.

I would understand the need for variety if Random Battles were adequate enough that it no longer requires change... But since its the complete opposite, they should probably focus on making the Main game mode as good as it can be.

You know, fixing imbalance 15-2 simulator, with skyrocket powercreep levels.

Seneca #11 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 20:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 25452 battles

View PostMMI_SPI, on Sep 14 2021 - 18:59, said:

They made 100s of others game modes: Halloween, Easter, Chaffee race, Football T62a, Karl, 8-bit mode, Sturmpanzer, etc.

All shortely lived, just for the sake of changing and with numerous bugs included. Fun, refreshing, but never a long-term solution.

I would understand the need for variety if Random Battles were adequate enough that it no longer requires change... But since its the complete opposite, they should probably focus on making the Main game mode as good as it can be.

Thanks for reminding me that stupid FrankenMonster tank game mode is coming next month.

Edited by Seneca, Sep 14 2021 - 20:49.

SteelRonin #12 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 20:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26326 battles

View PostDeputy276, on Sep 14 2021 - 15:58, said:

I remember some of the new "game modes" WG introduced during the holiday seasons. No thanks. They were so goofy and childish, I was embarrassed to admit I play the game. I'll stick with Randoms, thank you very much. Only thing I might enjoy, and they will NEVER do it, is some gore when a tank gets destroyed or when crews get injured. Unfortunately, too many urchins playing the game for that to ever happen. :)

No one is asking to remove Random Battles, btw. If there are 30 games modes, you can still play random battles without touching the other 29 modes..

Altwar #13 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 20:55

Major

• Players
  • 64941 battles
  • [-GNR-] -GNR-

View Postoldewolfe, on Sep 14 2021 - 08:50, said:

No one here has Brains Enough to USE New Modes...      What is WG supposed to do, Make Modes Specifically for Campers...????      Yippy....     

No one has the brains?  Or contrary to the direction of this thread, maybe plenty of players actually do enjoy playing mostly Randoms and the same maps?

As far as the camping, maybe those are the players who enjoy seeing some of the other players rush out, get killed in the first couple minutes, and then mute those players who were destroyed.  That way those dead players can rage but none notice and those who want more of a tank game and less a Rocket League game are the ones who remain?     Just spit-balling here.

And I enjoyed the Chafee races, the soccer and moon soccer and 100 years of tanks modes, among others.  Wouldn't want play them on a regular basis however as they are more of a nice chance of pace than a preferred mode to play.  I lost my enthusiasm for Frontlines when wheelies were introduced and it became more of a track meet than a smash mouth battle.  Got ambushed enough times in Steel Hunter by players working together that I lost interest there too, so not all modes click with me.    Anyway, been playing random battles since 2011 and I still enjoy them here in 2021.  Still like seeing Himmelsdorf, Mines and other familiar maps popping up though I'm thrilled that new maps are on the horizon and some may even be good, like the newest one in randoms, less so Berlin.

grego34 #14 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 21:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 40816 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS

its funny how they can find so many"fantasy" tank blue prints but can't get there design & custom team to design better modes! 

it doesn't have to be 15 vs15..   7 vs 7 like earlier this year when they had "Team clash"  was fun.   maybe instead of tier 10's you can make it 6 -8?? 

so many options. 

DeviouslyCursed #15 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 22:30

Major

• Players
  • 11384 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostSteelRonin, on Sep 14 2021 - 20:53, said:

No one is asking to remove Random Battles, btw. If there are 30 games modes, you can still play random battles without touching the other 29 modes..

You're assuming the game's population could support that. Get too many modes and you kill them all.

GWyatt #16 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 22:35

Captain

• Players
  • 6000 battles
  • [VAN] VAN

View PostMMI_SPI, on Sep 14 2021 - 13:59, said:

This reminded me of all the modes that have popped up over the years. Why are they short lived, one time affairs', because they are live server test beds for something they are looking at maybe doing. They are not just different game modes. Remember the Halloween one where they tested out multi-turret tanks? Think about each of the modes and you're likely to find something WG was testing.

ez_money #17 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 22:40

Major

• Players
  • 16617 battles
  • [IKUE] IKUE

View PostAngry_Johnny_Killbillys, on Sep 14 2021 - 12:13, said:

I think many people are bored with random. Bored with the maps. I agree with OP and Projectile there is so much more that could be done to insert some fun back into the game.

This is mostly why I rarely play anymore. It's just plain boring...same tanks, same game modes, same strategies, same maps, same clueless teams. I still play FL, though I don't even play that mode as much as in the past since they gutted the rewards so badly.

SteelRonin #18 Posted Sep 14 2021 - 23:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26326 battles

View PostDeviouslyCursed, on Sep 14 2021 - 18:30, said:

You're assuming the game's population could support that. Get too many modes and you kill them all.

It was an example dude.....:facepalm:

MMI_SPI #19 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 19:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28215 battles

View PostGWyatt, on Sep 14 2021 - 16:35, said:

This reminded me of all the modes that have popped up over the years. Why are they short lived, one time affairs', because they are live server test beds for something they are looking at maybe doing. They are not just different game modes. Remember the Halloween one where they tested out multi-turret tanks? Think about each of the modes and you're likely to find something WG was testing.

OP is asking why there isn't other game mode, I pointed out they tried many before. And from my POV, they were different game mode since the focus wasn't so much on destroying enemy players, or capping the base, hence a different playstyle. If WG is so eager to test new things, why isn't the Sandbox used more often? Instead of popping a two-weeks update, thats gonna break something and add bugs, why not isolate it in their Oh! so sacred Sandbox server to gather feedback!!!

Also, problem is these modes were all short lived by design, bound to IRL events on a specific date, only to never give follow-up. I get that some modes were just copypasta of other really popular, trendy games, those aren't a long term solution. But some could be develop and build into some long-term mode.

This just reflects WGs idealogy of low-effort, low maintenance and developpement in order to maximize quarterly revenu. They won't fix anything nor acknowledge any flaws, as long as money keeps pouring in.

P.S: Steel Hunter is garbage, and deserves to die in a fire. Before someone brings it up...

Edited by MMI_SPI, Sep 15 2021 - 19:09.

golruul #20 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 21:30

Major

• Players
  • 25925 battles

The reason is profit -- the reality is that WG doesn't want any successful game modes that contribute to their bottom line less than random battles do.  They won't explicitly say this, but look at the modes and events that "made" it.

Frontlines initially was fantastic.  Same tier MM, fantastic rewards.  Then lots of reward nerfs and other nerfs came.  Now we have a mode that's guaranteed 2-tier spread and doesn't give any rewards anymore.  The fact that it's 2 tier spread now means that most people will play their tier 9s and earn (much, much) less credits.  Sticking to tier 8 premiums can still earn more credits than randoms, though, if you don't mind worse MM and less (BP point) rewards past the fifth level or so.

Ranked is pure tier 10 toxicity and all premium ammo spam.  $$$ for WG.  Ditto for clan wars. 

Steel hunter I'm actually clueless about because I never played it and never will.

Now look at the other events such as Battle Pass.  Tier 5 is widely regarded as the go-to tier for F2P players to grind credits if they don't have tier 8 premiums.  Just so happens to be excluded from BP... as well as other longish types of events.  Marathons have short paths for tier 10 play.  WG wants players to play higher tiers so they earn more money.

So, anyway, it comes down to profit.  If you can think of a tier 10 mode that preferably requires premium ammo spam, WG would be all ears to implement it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users