When Should I Use Which Rounds?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Kazzerigian #1 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 01:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4979 battles

There are the regular rounds for the equipped gun, then there are AP version and then HE. How am I supposed to know which rounds to use? Or is this about knowing enemy tank weaknesses?

Related: how can I get better educated on tank weaknesses?

Thank you!

BaconMeLoveIt #2 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 01:57

Major

• Players
  • 15788 battles
  • [VX] VX
If you are unsure, generally, press 2 for gold ammo.

bluenose711 #3 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 02:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 78022 battles
  • [TS-] TS-
I use regular rounds almost exclusively. If I’m forced to shoot a tank two tiers higher than me, I’ll use HE to try and track it so my teammates can take care of it while it is stuck. If it’s a close match down to the last couple of tanks on each team (God I miss those matches), I’ll load Premium ammo to do as much damage as I can and hopefully win.

AirCrewChief #4 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 02:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 26981 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR

For anything but SPGs you will normally see armor piercing(AP) ammunition in the first slot, premium ammunition in the second, and high explosive(HE) in the third.  AP is basically a big steel slug, designed to pierce through metal and wreak havoc inside a tank.  HE is a thin case with explosives inside and some type of detonator; it causes damage externally(like tracks) by the explosion, and internally(crew and other modules) by "spalling".  Spalling is the result of the HE's pressure wave deforming the metal armor of the tank, causing pieces to break off and to become flying splinters inside the tank.  

You can study the tanks and try to learn which guns/ammunition will have a chance of penetrating other tanks.  You can also look at the crosshair in your gunsight.  You'll notice that when you mouse over a tank, the crosshair will be either green, yellow, or red.  Green means you have a good chance of penetrating all the way through.  Yellow means there is some chance, and red means there is no chance.  To amplify on that, HE will almost always be red no matter what; remember you're trying to cause damage by the force of the explosion, not by direct penetration of the armor.  

All this leads to 'premium'.  There are several types; each tank that can have premium ammunition(not all do) will have one type.  Armor Piercing Composite Rigid(APCR) is just a heavier/harder steel slug; it has greater penetration.  High Explosive Anti Tank(HEAT) uses a shaped charge that will 'bore' a very small hole through the armor(like a high-speed drill bit and will then vent all that hot gas and metal into the tank.  The big disadvantage of using HEAT is that it's only good for one layer of armor.  If you're up against a tank with spaced armor(say a Pzkpfw IVH with those big armor plates along the sides of the tracks and around the turret), HEAT will expend itself on that spaced armor and do nothing to the second layer.  So shot placement is still important.

There are other kinds of premium round, but those are the two most common.  I hope this helps a bit.

ATruk #5 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 02:40

Captain

• Players
  • 76099 battles

I limit my budget to regular ammo. I can pen most anything with it, depends on available weaker spots. So yes, try for weak spots and read armor specs in the garage.

Some tanks I just can't seem to get through, like some heavy turrents. You'll know them when you shoot them. Throw a couple gold rounds. If that doesn't work, run. To a different angle I mean. :)

Edited by ATruk, Sep 15 2021 - 02:41.

uberdice #6 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 02:49

Major

• Players
  • 29933 battles

http://tanks.gg/ can show you 3D models of tanks, and you can compare the model to any given gun and shell to see your chance of penetrating at whatever angle.

For example, here is the model of an ARL-44 against a Cromwell firing AP.

BianHong #7 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 07:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 5445 battles

High Explosives (default is key number 3)

• to destroy enemy tanks' suspension
  • to destroy some tank destroyers and light tanks
  • to destroy SPG

APCR (or other shell types under "gold ammo"; default is key number 2)

• to destroy heavily armored vehicles when standard shells cannot penetrate its armor
  • "gold ammo" almost always have higher penetration number compared to standard shells (with some exceptions from that tank that I don't remember which one that has lower penetration but higher damage)

Standard shells (this can be APCR or other shell types but lower penetration compared to shells assigned to key number 2; default is key number 1)

• It's the default shell that has almost always have lower penetration compared to "gold ammo" (with some exceptions from that tank that I don't remember which one that has higher penetration but lower damage)

Avoid using gold ammo if you want to get better on this game (but your stats will suffer) like I do. Or use gold ammo if you care about your stats. I avoid using it and just do a "go around" to shoot tanks in the weak spots. But if someone keeps shooting gold ammo on one of my lightly armored vehicles, then I load gold even if standard ammo will suffice. LOLz I load gold out of saltiness from being shot with gold. :D

_PoliticallyIncorrect #8 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 10:09

Major

• Players
  • 28429 battles
  • [JUDG] JUDG
Unless your tank has HESH rounds, which can autopen a lot of tanks from the Side and Rear, generally speaking don't touch HE rounds at all Unless you really know what you are doing. 

It's a great round for base resets, and for dealing more damage on average against lightly armored tanks, but if you don't know what you are doing with it you are just wasting potential damage. 

Kazzerigian #9 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 13:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4979 battles

Amazing amount of great information here, thank you!

I seem to gravitate to medium tanks. And with a number of them, penetrating higher tier heavies seems almost impossible. So I have to learn weak spots, which seems unlikely on any large scale, or get smarter with ammo choices. Perhaps when I go out to support I should be using HEAT rounds in an attempt to track the big boys when they stick their noses out. I'll keep reading all this over before firing up the game again today.

Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users