Open letter to WOT players and Claim to WarGaming.net // Carta abierta a los jugadores de WOT y Recl...

Quality of Play

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

GeneralButtBuster_ #21 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 03:16

Major

• Players
  • 6279 battles
  • [M3GA] M3GA
I think people who remember the good old days of 12-13 minute average games and perfect balance should probably get a medical checkup, new studies show that dementia can occur as early as in the 50s.

WoT was never the "perfect, golden days" game that I always hear people talking about. Sure, we got chieftains and 279s now, but before we had WT Auf E100s. Sure, now we have problems with short matches, but back in the day people complained about camp-fests and bullet matches just as much. Go take a look back throughout the forums and you will see that the complaints haven't really changed since 2014, just they come in different forms now. Those things that players have complained about since the beginning of the game are at this point just a part of the game that you can bet is here to stay, and if you don't like it, uninstalling is free and just a click of a button away.

People need to stop thinking that this game was once perfect, because it never was. Never once did I see WoT on gaming headlines or sweeping twitch views, because it never was that perfect and popular game, so I don't know why I keep seeing people make it out to be. Sometimes you just need to accept that the game has changed, and honestly in my opinion more or less for the better. 

Oruckk #22 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 03:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 1551 battles
  • [OTU] OTU

View PostThe_Happiest_Husky, on Sep 15 2021 - 02:08, said:

I'm just joshin ur highlight mate no offense meant :P

no problem bro. hahaha

Oruckk #23 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 03:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 1551 battles
  • [OTU] OTU

View PostDeviouslyCursed, on Sep 15 2021 - 01:22, said:

The matches never took 12-13 minutes on average, you wanker.

EDIT:  I'm also going to say I seriously doubt you know how to play your tanks.

If I must state the obvious, I think the one who doesn't understand is you. The battles last 15 minutes, from version 0.1 to the current one. When I refer to time, I am talking about the duration of the game as long as the teams are alive. If you have any doubts about my abilities, I invite you to give me a tank and watch me play. Without solid arguments your words have no validity

and... you were duly reported for your insult

Before your insult I have to say: the strength of your injury, shows the weakness of your argument

Oruckk #24 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 03:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 1551 battles
  • [OTU] OTU

View PostGeneralButtBuster_, on Sep 15 2021 - 02:16, said:

I think people who remember the good old days of 12-13 minute average games and perfect balance should probably get a medical checkup, new studies show that dementia can occur as early as in the 50s.

WoT was never the "perfect, golden days" game that I always hear people talking about. Sure, we got chieftains and 279s now, but before we had WT Auf E100s. Sure, now we have problems with short matches, but back in the day people complained about camp-fests and bullet matches just as much. Go take a look back throughout the forums and you will see that the complaints haven't really changed since 2014, just they come in different forms now. Those things that players have complained about since the beginning of the game are at this point just a part of the game that you can bet is here to stay, and if you don't like it, uninstalling is free and just a click of a button away.

People need to stop thinking that this game was once perfect, because it never was. Never once did I see WoT on gaming headlines or sweeping twitch views, because it never was that perfect and popular game, so I don't know why I keep seeing people make it out to be. Sometimes you just need to accept that the game has changed, and honestly in my opinion more or less for the better. 

Perhaps the game has been more generous to you than to me. Some of the things I said were exaggerated to emphasize the difference between the old WOT and the new. I repeat, if I have to clarify the obvious ...

Oruckk #25 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 03:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 1551 battles
  • [OTU] OTU

View Postuberdice, on Sep 15 2021 - 01:52, said:

They could last a while when two tier 10s would wipe out the tiers 5 to 8 tanks they were matched against, and spend the rest of the time trying to find and kill each other.

As you can imagine, that was extremely engaging gameplay for the other 28 people in the battle.

When talking about the duration time, I wanted to exaggerate it to emphasize that before, players took their time deciding what to do during battle. (They used their brain more) Currently they only go head-on and shoot without further ado. (I generalize) To this is added and I repeat: the poor comparison of tanks by the MM. the potential difference between premium and common tanks.

Nonamanadus #26 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 03:49

Major

• Players
  • 39877 battles
  • [D_-_D] D_-_D
at least there are not 5 arty per side in matches now.....

uberdice #27 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 04:04

Major

• Players
  • 30291 battles

View PostOruckk, on Sep 15 2021 - 12:43, said:

When talking about the duration time, I wanted to exaggerate it to emphasize that before, players took their time deciding what to do during battle. (They used their brain more) Currently they only go head-on and shoot without further ado. (I generalize) To this is added and I repeat: the poor comparison of tanks by the MM. the potential difference between premium and common tanks.

I think you're grossly overstating player capability back in the day when you say people were "using their brain more". The difference is that it's now easier for competent players to spot bad plays and punish them, because they're more likely to be driving comparable tanks.

It didn't matter if you saw a tier 9 tank making a mistake when you were in a tier 5 tank that couldn't do anything about it. Now, if you see a tier 9 making a mistake, you're at least in a tier 7 that has a better chance to chunk off a meaningful amount of health from them.

Like obviously people would play more cautiously when half or more of the enemy team severely outclassed their own tank, but that's a symptom of terrible balancing, not of people somehow being more capable.

Markd73 #28 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 05:16

Major

• Players
  • 36671 battles
  • [2M8TA] 2M8TA

View PostDeviouslyCursed, on Sep 15 2021 - 01:22, said:

The matches never took 12-13 minutes on average, you wanker.

EDIT:  I'm also going to say I seriously doubt you know how to play your tanks.

I agree, except for the use of insults.

XXBuckShot #29 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 05:44

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 4847 battles
I'm all for having a player stat type match maker. I think it'd be more fair and probably keep more new players around longer and they won't be stinking up top tiers as I hear is the case now. 

MMI_SPI #30 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 06:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28215 battles

I will say the game is worst.

Not cause battles lasted 12-13min average before, but because games are now over within 2:30min, the rest is just the downfall of the last standers. Sure, there's occasionally a game of campy-campy Malinovka that last full 15min or finish in a draw, but the rest of the battles are a race against the clock. And I think this is a combined result of 5 years of self-destructive and short-sighted WG's decisions of adding more and more stuff, tanks, and bonuses to improve, upgrade, overthrow the balance in favor of MANEY!!

You pay? You get more improved eq., more bonds, more rewards, better tanks, better crews and much more. Things started going south once they made prem tanks better than tech tree. 

I_QQ_4_U #31 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 06:45

Major

• Players
  • 30467 battles
  • [BOOPS] BOOPS

View Postuberdice, on Sep 15 2021 - 02:52, said:

They could last a while when two tier 10s would wipe out the tiers 5 to 8 tanks they were matched against, and spend the rest of the time trying to find and kill each other.

As you can imagine, that was extremely engaging gameplay for the other 28 people in the battle.

Yeah but even those games didn't make the average game 12 to 13 minutes even despite the campfest it was back then. I'm sure it was more, maybe 8 minutes compared to whatever it is now, 6+ minutes maybe? But what you mentioned is what made me quit back in 2012, one too many tier 10 games in a tier 5 and teams that often had one or more top tier tanks and the other having none.

Korvick #32 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 06:58

Major

• Players
  • 6181 battles

View PostMMI_SPI, on Sep 15 2021 - 05:14, said:

I will say the game is worst.

Not cause battles lasted 12-13min average before, but because games are now over within 2:30min, the rest is just the downfall of the last standers. Sure, there's occasionally a game of campy-campy Malinovka that last full 15min or finish in a draw, but the rest of the battles are a race against the clock. And I think this is a combined result of 5 years of self-destructive and short-sighted WG's decisions of adding more and more stuff, tanks, and bonuses to improve, upgrade, overthrow the balance in favor of MANEY!!

You pay? You get more improved eq., more bonds, more rewards, better tanks, better crews and much more. Things started going south once they made prem tanks better than tech tree. 

Games NEVER lasted 12-13 minutes on average.  And games today are rarely over within 2.30 minutes.   If you are implying that "the game is over" in the first few minutes because the tide has shifted or whatever, that is completely subjective and cannot be used as a metric.  I have seen plenty of games where a 3 or 4 tank deficit in the first two minutes can still be brought back. 

All this is is a combination of confirmation bias and simple herd mentality.  You hear a CC complain about a honeymoon period for new prem tanks and all of a sudden it becomes fact.  You hear the word patent on MM and all of a sudden it becomes "proof" that WG are rigging games.  Somebody here says, "games are faster" and all of a sudden it's become the reason why the game is going downhill.  Even though there have been multiple people who have used ACTUAL FACTS that refute this assertion.

People seeing a 49% win prediction on XVM and going "oh we are going to lose" and proceed to play like idiots are just as likely to cause faster games as much as anything else.  Which btw, is NOTHING to do with the game and everything to do with idiot sheep.

DeviouslyCursed #33 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 07:09

Major

• Players
  • 11384 battles
  • [5M0K3] 5M0K3

View PostOruckk, on Sep 15 2021 - 03:27, said:

If I must state the obvious, I think the one who doesn't understand is you. The battles last 15 minutes, from version 0.1 to the current one. When I refer to time, I am talking about the duration of the game as long as the teams are alive. If you have any doubts about my abilities, I invite you to give me a tank and watch me play. Without solid arguments your words have no validity

and... you were duly reported for your insult

Before your insult I have to say: the strength of your injury, shows the weakness of your argument

You are a baddie and you have no clue what you are talking about. If battles lasted 15 minutes it was because the people who pressed got wrecked, and anyone left alive knew if they moved they would get smoked by the 4-5 arty per side, each of which could one-shot you. You are delusional. That was toxic game play and it was changed for a reason.

BaconMeLoveIt #34 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 08:10

Major

• Players
  • 15826 battles
  • [VX] VX

Probably the reason why the match felt that it was longer in the past because players still stay until the end of the match reading and responding to crossteam chat/global chat.

Nowadays, once your vehicle gets destroyed, you hit ESC button then go back to garage. Nothing to do after vehicle gets destroyed.

Avalon304 #35 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 08:25

Major

• Players
  • 27000 battles
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI

Hmm... guy says hes been playing for 8 years... yet only has 548 battles. Thats like 68 battles a year.... how can anyone who plays that little have any relevant opinion about the state of the game?

Further... the average battle time of this game has been 5-7 minutes. Its still 5-7 minutes. It has not meaningfully changed in the 10 years this game has been released.

Oh AND a SBMM request... lol... no. This is all sorts of terrible troll bait.

Belicia #36 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 08:59

Major

• Players
  • 11859 battles

View PostI_QQ_4_U, on Sep 15 2021 - 13:32, said:

I doubt very much that games ever lasted 12 to 13 minutes on average and TBH the game is not the same as it was but for the most part it's better. When you make ridiculous claims it pretty much negates anything you have to say.

I'm only a few weeks from my 8 year anniversary playing WoT (on and off, mostly off).

7 years ago, battles lasted a LOT longer than today.

Personally, I suspect that was because artillery was MUCH MUCH MUCH stronger back then, and even Russian heavies needed to be very cautious before making an advance down a line of attack. It was routine for arty to 1-shot kill full-HP tanks back then, including heavy tanks. Mediums and light tanks were wrecked by arty.

Today, 3 Russian heavies can shrug-off the trivial damage from artillery and obliterate all before them and they rush forward at the speed of medium tanks.

I don't think people - especially newer players - fully appreciate the stabilizing impact of a couple of SPGs on a battlefield.

Belicia #37 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 09:05

Major

• Players
  • 11859 battles

View PostBaconMeLoveIt, on Sep 15 2021 - 19:10, said:

Probably the reason why the match felt that it was longer in the past because players still stay until the end of the match reading and responding to crossteam chat/global chat.

Nowadays, once your vehicle gets destroyed, you hit ESC button then go back to garage. Nothing to do after vehicle gets destroyed.

I miss communicating with enemy players during a battle. I even occasionally apologized to an enemy tank I had killed with a ridiculously lucky shot (FV304 blind-shot kill on a moving Pz.1c for the LOLs).

I remember once, when I was grinding a Churchill I, an enemy arty player warned me on chat that his team was going to ficus me. Back then, I mostly played artillery, which was MUCH more powerful than it is today, (I killed an average of 2 or 3 tanks every battle), and a bunch of players on his team wanted their revenge against me now that I was in a front-line heavy tank. Apparently, I had killed a bunch of his team during an afternoon of playing arty. lol

TheHoneyBadger #38 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 11:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 38541 battles

View PostBaconMeLoveIt, on Sep 14 2021 - 23:10, said:

That's a great point.  I miss all the smack talking of cross team chat.  One night I was drunk and all I did was type in caps "I eat your honey" each time I killed someone on the other team.  Drove them to all sorts of levels of rage.

It's the little things like that that gave this game soul back in the day.  I think that is what is really lacking nowadays.   

PumpkinHead286 #39 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 12:11

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11335 battles
  • [SHEEN] SHEEN
The Gameplay was 10 times better a few years ago . I quit around the time it was at its best, if only I knew . Also the maps were 10 times better .

Edited by PumpkinHead286, Sep 15 2021 - 12:12.

_Hatsune__Miku_ #40 Posted Sep 15 2021 - 12:48

Captain

• Players
  • 43119 battles

View PostAvalon304, on Sep 15 2021 - 02:25, said:

Hmm... guy says hes been playing for 8 years... yet only has 548 battles. Thats like 68 battles a year.... how can anyone who plays that little have any relevant opinion about the state of the game?

Further... the average battle time of this game has been 5-7 minutes. Its still 5-7 minutes. It has not meaningfully changed in the 10 years this game has been released.

Oh AND a SBMM request... lol... no. This is all sorts of terrible troll bait.

although I could not find any data to backup this argument, I am pretty sure games lasted 7+ minutes 2 to 3+ years ago. Nowadays games are decided in about three minutes the rest of the time is just running after the last campers in a corner that will not define the outcome of the match. Before we were able to buy premium ammo with credits there were times were two tanks would be locked firing each other for a very long time just to hold a an important flank without receiving any damage(sacred valley map comes to mind for this)

TLDR I think is incorrect to say that matches average 5-7 minutes nowadays because they are usually decided on the first three minutes.

Also tagged with Quality of Play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users