Campaign Completion

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

CamaroSS_2015 #1 Posted Sep 25 2021 - 03:40

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4433 battles
  • [ZED] ZED

So I recently figured out on how to play the "Campaign" and have started my Stug IV adventure... as I moved along some of the stages were easy while some required a little more effort. I play for the most part Tier 4/5/6 (which means 6/7/8 at times)... Half way through my missions I decided to take a look at the requirements for #15 and some of them for a 4/5/6 tier might be impossible to complete. I know that I can use up to a tier X tank on this but from what I read on the forum, Tier X is not for me... So, that leaves me wondering if I could ever complete any of these stages for Stug IV and other moving forward? Will I need to have a Tier 7/8/9 tanks to complete these?

I think I might just have to come with term that I will not complete them.... which stinks because I will not be able to go to the next level until this one is done.

The extra credits I earned along the way is nice but I really would love to do more...

One last thought... I guess I could use a weekend rental to complete some of these stages but honestly, the gold spamming at these level I feel will do my tank in before I complete any of these tasks.

I'd like to hear from those that have moved thru these missions some of their insight and thoughts... maybe I just need to put this all behind me?

thanks!

joe...

Edited by RenamedUser_1044981919, Sep 25 2021 - 03:42.

Projectile_Misfired #2 Posted Sep 25 2021 - 04:45

Major

• Players
  • 39469 battles

I think the best advice I can give you for the Campaign missions is to actively work on the ones that you think you CAN accomplish. One of the good things about those missions is that they don't have to be completed in any specific order, with the exception of the 15th mission (the other 14 have to be completed first). So, you can jump around working on the "easier" ones or the ones that you feel confident enough to be able to complete.

As for the "harder" ones or the ones that you think you will find "difficult" to complete, save them for last. And when you get to them, just have them turned on. Don't "focus" on actually completing them. If you do, you'll probably get yourself really frustrated with them. Just turn them on and play. You'll find that, at some point, you'll somehow miraculously complete them. 

GL with your missions.

Belicia #3 Posted Sep 25 2021 - 06:45

Major

• Players
  • 11030 battles

Some campaign missions are impossible in the low-mid tiers.

The stun missions cannot be completed without mid-high tier arty. Half the arty you see in your battles are people who are playing arty SOLELY because of the campaign missions, which is why some arty in your battles is deadly and others are pretty terrible.

Personally, I've started grinding a few lines simply because they make some missions a lot easier:

Get a good arty that stuns. M44 is popular.

Get a heavy tank with serious armor that can reliably block hits. Most of the German and Japanese super-heavies you see in battles are there for campaign blocking missions.

Get a TD with derp. T30, Death Star or any Russian TD with 152mm. These are good for damage-dealing missions and "destroy x tanks" missions.

Get 1 good mid/high tier scout with good crews with perks/skills and equipment for spotting missions.

If anything, the missions seem designed to get people to grind down many lines of tanks instead of just focusing on their favorite tanks.

dunniteowl #4 Posted Sep 25 2021 - 15:55

Major

• Players
  • 38081 battles

OP, I get what you mean.

I have been 'working' on the StugIV Campaign since I got here.  The first six to eight steps of each class (at that time) were relatively easy to do and I got them all done to about Mission: 12 or so for each class.  That happened in the first couple of weeks of starting the campaign.

Now?  Well, one thing I did a good while back was stop paying attention to it, because sometimes, to get some of those missions done, the stars, map, tank and teams have to align just right.  So don't angst over not 'completing' them in a certain time frame.

Another thing:  I can honestly wonder about the missions, because it seems to me that IF you're attempting to win a tier V unit (I believe the Stug IV is a tier V) you should be able to 'do' the missions at or below tier (this is just my point of view on the matter, not a rule or anything).  After all, you shouldn't have to use a vehicle two or three tiers HIGHER to get a tank, right?

Well, apparently that's not how these missions work.  Seems a bit 'off' to me that you should need a tier VII tank to win a tier V, doesn't it seem so to you?  I have HT and LT 15 to complete and I'm ready to win!  And I've been that ready to win for about 2 years now.

In short, don't sweat it.  As a player in this game, there are SO MANY distractions to get you focused on playing a certain tank, a certain tier, a certain way and almost NONE of those 'triggers' for those things engender 'better playing' by the people going after the items.  If anything they tend to distract from the object of attempting to win each match you play.

Just hang in there and PLAY.  Sooner or later, you'll get an after battle notification that you completed a mission for the campaign.  It'd been so long since I saw one that when I got MT-15 done a couple years ago, I was just so surprised -- and I got another crew mate -- that I was sort of stunned.  Wow, I'd forgotten all about those!

And to help you along in a manner that wasn't readily available to me when I started, here's your very own digital copy of: 

The WoT Welcome Package (version 1).

In here are contained all you need to become a better player (other than determination, attention and desire, you have to bring those).  From Noob/Newb to Intermediate level play concepts are all here for you.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Edited by dunniteowl, Sep 25 2021 - 15:56.

Belicia #5 Posted Sep 26 2021 - 11:30

Major

• Players
  • 11030 battles

The StuG IV campaign missions can be completed with tier IV+ tanks.

The T28 HTC campaign missions can be completed by tier V+ tanks.

The Excalibur campaign missions can be completed by tier VI+ tanks.

I didn't now this for a few weeks after I returned to WoT after a very long break, but, you can do the tank-class campaign missions (LT, MT, HT, TD and SPG) simultaneously while doing the nation campaign missions (Union, Bloc, Alliance and Coalition).

Yesterday, I managed to complete a TD campaign mission AND a Union campaign mission in the same battle. (I am currently doing the T28 HTC and Excalibur campaigns at the same time.)

I am not at all sure every player know we can work down TWO campaigns (left-hand side and right-hand side missions) at the same time.

Edit: It is also worth noting that you are NOT required to complete any missions with Honors. If you have completed a mission without Honors, just move on to the next mission. You can go back and complete a previous mission (even from a campaign you have already completed) at ANY time in the future.

Also, you CAN skip ahead and do other missions BEFORE the "next" mission, if you are finding that one too problematic. For instance, imagine you have completed LT-1, LT-2 and LT-3, but you're finding LT-4 very difficult. You CAN skip to another LT mission, such as LT-6 or LT12 (any other mission, except LT-15 - the 15th mission in each campaign can only be attempted AFTER you have completed the previous 14 (with OR without honors)).

I hope this helps.

Edited by Belicia, Sep 26 2021 - 11:38.

CamaroSS_2015 #6 Posted Sep 28 2021 - 05:16

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 4433 battles
  • [ZED] ZED

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas... I've not started my arty missions yet because I know how important these tanks are and to play T4 arty and sucking at it does no one any good...I will probably wait to start those once I'm done with everything else... I just stuck on my final TD mission getting 2000 HP...,,and like someone mentioned, the stars will have to be in perfect alignment before I score that high with a TD...

joe...

Belicia #7 Posted Sep 28 2021 - 08:14

Major

• Players
  • 11030 battles

View PostRenamedUser_1044981919, on Sep 28 2021 - 16:16, said:

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas... I've not started my arty missions yet because I know how important these tanks are and to play T4 arty and sucking at it does no one any good...I will probably wait to start those once I'm done with everything else... I just stuck on my final TD mission getting 2000 HP...,,and like someone mentioned, the stars will have to be in perfect alignment before I score that high with a TD...

joe...

The problems with SPGs is that they really do require 100% crews (and, ideally, Vents and Brother-in-Arms) to have decent accuracy. Most tanks (Medium, Heavy and TDs) are somewhat playable with poor crews, but not SPGs (or scouts).

When someone tries to play arty with 75% crews, they will inevitably contribute little to the team effort.

At low tiers, you will have leveled your way out of an SPG before your crew reaches 100%, and then you will be forced to begin the xp grind towards 100% crews all over again with the next SPG up the arty line.

My advice is to use free-xp and blueprints to skip straight to tier V arty. If you're only playing arty for the campaign missions, I strongly recommend the American line. So, maybe use free-xp and blueprints to skip straight to the tier V American SPG the M41 HMC. This will give you a bit of practice to prepare you for the excellent tier VI American SPG, the M44.

As for equipment, favorites include: Vents, Rammer, Enhance-Gun-Laying-Drive.

Crew skills: Brother-in-Arms, and 6th Sense for the commander.

Some people detest playing arty, and some people love it. Personally, I love it. I have British tier X Conqueror G.C.; British tier VI FV 304; American tier IX M53/M55; French tier IX B-C 155 55; German tier VII G.W. Panther and the Russian tier VII S-51. All are solid arty, although the FV 304 has been nerfed so hard over the years that it is barely playable these days.

dunniteowl #8 Posted Sep 28 2021 - 16:20

Major

• Players
  • 38081 battles

I'll offer that the M37 is a 'better' choice to 'prepare' for the M44.

M41 HMC is a stinker of an arty.  In fact, in the German, British, US and Russian lines, I think it's probably the worst one (or hardest to get anything useful out of) is the M41 HMC.

Very low arc trajectory, though GREAT gun arc (side to side).  This means fairly low, flat and the "further-away-the-better" shooting.  It's got the most horrendous reload time and it's aim time is pretty deep as well.  As for movement, it's not the fastest, but it ain't the slowest either.  Punch, however, is quite good.  This one packs a good wallop with big splash.

With the M41, you pray to have multiple tanks in your zone for multi-splash opportunities.  Of all the arties I've played, I like this one the least as far as I can recall.  Even the Russian lower tier tanks weren't this frustrating.

As for Crews, you know, there's no hurry to get to tier X or tier whatever.  You are not obligated to play only Y amount of games in each unit.  So I took my crews at the lower tiers and played each one 100 battles minimum.  The reason for that is that I have a 100 Battles Per Tank objective.

The 100 Battles Per Tank idea came about when I realized that moving up through the units as fast as possible wasn't really giving me enough time to properly evaluate the units I was playing and my 'skill floor' at the outset as well as the improvement over those 100 battles.  I figured that if I could play a tank a 100 battles and come up with a 50% WR or better, then I could consider myself 'competent' in that unit.  If I didn't have a 50% or better WR, I would play it longer unless it was a super unfun tank to play.

My M41 HMC?  I wouldn't call it super unfun, but it's close.  I am stuck with a measly 47.49% WR and I'm up to 419 games played in it.  I am at the point where I feel that I simply do not 'get' the M41's secret to decent use.

Oh, and those 100 battles per tank?  They gave me time to train up my crews as I moved them up the line.  As I am a FTPP, I tend to use Credits to retrain my crew to the next tank.  As long as I'm in the same class, that's a 10% cut in XP penalty at 20K a pop for Regimental Training levels.  As long as your crew is over 85% Qualified (tank qualification is the crew being completely competent in that tank when it hits 100 per cent) then retraining with Credits will cost you 10% of your Tank Qualification and each skill in your Crew members' resume.

As an example, I had my crew for the M37 and transferred it to the M41 HMC.  I got rid of a loader and sent them to the M41.  As I retrained the crew with credits, I lost 10% of their total XP (which is why it also affects your skills totals) and the crew was already at 100% crew quallification.

When I retrained, my crew were now 90% total qualification, though they were still working on their 2nd skills by then.  It took about 10 to 14 games to get the crew back up to 100% and start working their Skills again.  Not too awful, but if you're a FTPP as I am, you deal with it by accepting that, "This is how it's going to be for me," and moving on from there.

BIA makes a huge difference for a SPG Crew.  There's more to playing an SPG than most of the detractors will admit.  They're honestly, in general, not as hard to play at all, as far as operations go, but they are hard to do well in tactically and functionally in most cases.  A lot of concessions to reality in terms of physics were made to place SPGs into the game.  

In real life, you'd never see or contact the arty shooting at your team from six to twelve miles away unless you routed your opponents and blitz krieged your way to the arty positions well away from the battle field.  In this game, there could be an SPG right around the corner, hoping you keep on keeping on that way instead of this way.  The arc of the shells have been significantly altered to allow them to shoot and remain on your battle map and still actually be useful to your team.  It's also one SPG to mimic what four to six ( a 'battery' of artillery) arty units would normally do.  So you have alterations to shell flight physics, gun arcs, splash effects and overall damage value of the shells.

That's okay, NOTHING in this game is actually real and the word 'realistic' is only meant to reference how things look, react and operate in response to you making keyboard control commands.

Hope you found that useful at all as an augment to what Belicia posted.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Cheesehead1964 #9 Posted Sep 28 2021 - 21:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17132 battles
  • [WCTNT] WCTNT

I completed the Stug IV campaign a while back and I don't remember it being hugely difficult. And I'm a pretty average player. Just keep at it.

As mentioned above, the M44 is great for completing the arty missions. Also, you can use the Battle Order tokens to skip missions you don't want to complete. I think you earn them by completing mission 15 with honors. I can't remember if you start with any.

I used mine to do several of the arty missions as I'm not an arty player.

Roggg2 #10 Posted Sep 30 2021 - 17:46

Major

• Players
  • 26441 battles
  • [RVN-G] RVN-G
If you're a much below average player (not saying you are) then completing the campaign in any tier is going to be a struggle.  If you are exceptional, then it should be easy to do the Stug with tier 6s.  Everything else is in between.  I used up to tier 7 I think to do the Stug.  I may have even used tier 8 for one or more of the heavy missions.  I wasn't a very good player at the time.  Light tank is probably the easies to complete at lower tiers.  IMO heavy or TD is probably the hardest.

dunniteowl #11 Posted Sep 30 2021 - 18:15

Major

• Players
  • 38081 battles

View PostRoggg2, on Sep 30 2021 - 10:46, said:

If you're a much below average player (not saying you are) then completing the campaign in any tier is going to be a struggle.  If you are exceptional, then it should be easy to do the Stug with tier 6s.  Everything else is in between.  I used up to tier 7 I think to do the Stug.  I may have even used tier 8 for one or more of the heavy missions.  I wasn't a very good player at the time.  Light tank is probably the easies to complete at lower tiers.  IMO heavy or TD is probably the hardest.

I will agree with this and add that, the better a player you are, the lower a tier you should be able to manage these Campaigns.  Meaning a player struggling to play in general WILL struggle to complete them at all, though STILL has a 'better' chance to complete at higher tiers (much to the ire of your team mates, more than likely).  The overall increased stats of armor, hit points, penetration, alpha, etc. makes garnering, say, 3K bounced damage a lot more likely at tier IX than at tier VI, for example.

I have the LT and HT 15 missions left on the Stug.  I think LTs are probably one of the harder classes of tank to master (again with a caveat that at lower tiers where most of the units are LTs, this might not play out the same versus higher tier LTs) due to their specific limitations when used as scouts where they can excel.

And as to that, I am NOT a 'good' player.  I consider myself JUST above average.  When I started the Stug IV campaign, I completed most of them up to the Mission 12 or 13 point BEFORE I ever 'broke' a 49% WR.  So, you really have to be playing very poorly at all to fail to get at least halfway through the Stug IV campaign, even at tiers IV and V, where I did all my Stug IV Missions with the exception of MT-15, which I managed to do in my then "NEW!" T-35-85M.  All the other missions so far have been completed with tier V and IV vehicles.  (I mentioned above I thought you should be able to complete at or below tier of the 'prize' and so far, other than that one mission, I have managed it as a sort of 'mission modifier' if you will).

Even so, I did most of that at a 48.23 -- 48.78% WR, meaning the truly 'average' (according to server stats) player should be able to get a decent portion of the way through at least the Stug IV campaign before running into any 'serious' difficulty that might 'require' using a tier VI and above tank.  I finished the Stug Arty missions from SPG-13 to SPG-15 in about an hour after getting the Bishop (SPG, UK, T5) and the TD-12 to TD-14 on the first day I got my AT-2 (pre nerf and pre 9.16).

So it's pretty possible to complete, I'd say, about the Mission-12 to 13 without having to go above tier VI for the average player in ALL classes for the Stug IV.  And I say this knowing I have very few One Marked Tanks and only one Two Marked Tank.  In short, I am consistently just slightly above average and do not excel in any particular unit, nor do I have any serious trouble with any of the classes (I have focused on being at least 'average' with all classes and nations I play) and have gotten as far as I can without 'working' at it.

Right now, my system/connection do not support up close brawling too much -- and the zippy, high speed maneuvers required in an LT cannot be reliably done at 6fps, so... those are essentially on hold for a bit.  I have a solution, I just have to 'pry' it from my wife's hands (the other computer).

OP (and others working the 1st Campaign) you can do it.  Just focus on playing your best, being patient and attentive during the matches and at some point, the ingredients will combine together and you'll have another Campaign Mission completed with honors.  Meanwhile, I advise just playing your best, taking time to find ways to improve your play and enjoy playing for the very sake of the playing in and of itself.  We ARE supposed to be having fun, right?

I have found that the 'struggle' concept to reach a milestone in some things can remove the joy of just playing.  In some things.  I am always attempting to improve my play and I enjoy that struggle, because seeing improvement is personally satisfying.  Chasing a 'completion' Mission or Campaign is going to be really cool when it happens, but if I 'chase' it actively, it changes my focus and THAT does detract from my being able to have 'fun' while playing, because now I'm setting myself some 'agenda' that says, "complete," as opposed to, "enjoy."

I'm competitive enough without making myself purposely jump through those extra hoops and stressing over that, too.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

jmorgan58 #12 Posted Oct 02 2021 - 10:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 19823 battles
  • [ISI] ISI
I completed the stug IV missions about a year ago. At that time I was well below 45% wr. I completed the arty missions with my m44 and most of the ht missions with my m6 until the 3000 hp mission. I finished the ht missions with my m29. The rest I just played and was pleasantly surprised when they were done.

Belicia #13 Posted Oct 08 2021 - 12:39

Major

• Players
  • 11030 battles

I completed the T28 HTC campaign a couple of days ago.

It took me roughly 2-3 months (unsure exactly). The T28 HTC campaign was slightly more difficult than the StuG IV campaign.

But, be warned - it was immediately apparent that most of the campaign missions for the T-55A are SUBSTANTIALLY more difficult that those for the StuG IV and T28 HTC campaigns. A lot more thought needs to go into your choice of tank if you're focusing on specific missions, and you are significantly less likely to just casually stumble your way through missions in the way you could do for the StuG IV and T28 HTC campaigns.

Also, note that the level requirements change with each campaign:

StuG IV requires tier IV+ tanks.

T28 HTC requires tier V+ tanks.

T-55A requires tier VI+ tanks.

Obj. 260 requires tier VI+ tanks.

Excalibur requires tier VI+ tanks.

Chimera requires tier VII+ tanks.

Edited by Belicia, Oct 09 2021 - 08:38.

FoggyLogic #14 Posted Oct 11 2021 - 18:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 6866 battles
  • [RDDT6] RDDT6

If tier 10 is not for you, then there is no point in completing the campaigns as the final rewards are tier 10 tanks.

I agree that doing the easy missions, the ones that you can accomplish in a few games with a modicum of focus, first, is a good idea. The harder ones are often just a matter of luck and you could drive yourself crazy running after them in some dedicated way. It's always nice to finish a game and be surprised you you finished a harder mission that you had long ago stopped thinking about.

What really chaps me are the arty missions. You have to grind four different nations up to tier 6 to even hope to complete the stun missions, which are incidentally considerably harder now that HE has been nerfed. Getting 100 seconds of stun five times is a total PITA at tier 6 particularly for someone who hates playing arty. You have to apply yourself to it instead of just letting it happen in the natural course of playing the game. I've often wondered if a 279e is worth all those arty games. Jury still out.

Edited by FoggyLogic, Oct 11 2021 - 18:09.

Gunner457 #15 Posted Oct 11 2021 - 22:02

Private

• Players
  • 25118 battles
  • [IKU] IKU

View PostGunner457, on Oct 11 2021 - 21:02, said:

Can any tell what these types of tokens are for?

Attached Files

• Attached File   Tokens.jpg   57.99K

dunniteowl #16 Posted Oct 11 2021 - 23:26

Major

• Players
  • 38081 battles

View PostGunner457, on Oct 11 2021 - 15:02, said:

I cannot describe each and every single token, however they generally 'function' as a 'counter' to mark a completion of one mission that is part of the completion requirements of another mission in the same 'event' category.

In some of these things you'll have something like 4 missions that have a repeating counter to them expressed as 0/5 through 5/5.  In other missions, it will require you to Complete Mission 3 five times.  So that means you'd end up repeating Mission 3 and the 5/5 counter gets reset and in return provides you with a "Shell" token or an "Iron Seal" token, etc. and that is used to keep track of the other Mission 6 that requires you to complete five Mission 3's or three Mission 1's, for example.

It's not really very well explained (as in it isn't at all, really) and you just have to sort of rely on observing the changes and conditions of the different missions over time.  That's basically what they're for: to keep track of mission completion stages and tracking repeatable missions.

I'm sorry if that's not entirely clear.  I'm sort of 'winging' it at the moment.  I don't currently have access to my client and can't give you a better, more clear description using current missions.  I'm sure someone else will be happy to step up and fill in the blanks and straighten out my incorrect stuff.

GL, HF & HSYBF!
OvO

Belicia #17 Posted Oct 12 2021 - 02:19

Major

• Players
  • 11030 battles

View Postjmorgan58, on Oct 02 2021 - 21:49, said:

I completed the stug IV missions about a year ago. [...] I finished the ht missions with my m29.

T29* ?

Strig_997ms_brain #18 Posted Oct 14 2021 - 01:50

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 340 battles
  • [YOUJO] YOUJO

Got the StuG IV already on this account, here's what i did:

MT-25 for LT missions with Low Noise Exhaust, Vents and Optics and played the camo game.

AE Phase 1 for HT missions, got it with battlepass tokens.

Hellcat for TD missions, trivializes most TD missions all the way until the T55A.

Any medium tank for MT missions, these just require you to breathe.

didn't touch arty

jmorgan58 #19 Posted Oct 14 2021 - 18:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 19823 battles
  • [ISI] ISI

View PostBelicia, on Oct 12 2021 - 02:19, said:

T29* ?

Yeah, my mistake. T29.

Belicia #20 Posted Oct 14 2021 - 23:54

Major

• Players
  • 11030 battles

View PostStrig_997ms_brain, on Oct 14 2021 - 12:50, said:

Got the StuG IV already on this account, here's what i did:

MT-25 for LT missions with Low Noise Exhaust, Vents and Optics and played the camo game.

AE Phase 1 for HT missions, got it with battlepass tokens.

Hellcat for TD missions, trivializes most TD missions all the way until the T55A.

Any medium tank for MT missions, these just require you to breathe.

didn't touch arty

How do you get all the way to T-55A without "touching" arty?

42 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users